V10 pedals on V8 advice

mdogbucket

I just modified my INMOTION V8 by putting the larger V10 pedals on in place of the smaller stock pedals.  It’s fabulous except for one small problem.  Now they don’t stay up by themselves like the stock pedals did.  There is no tension to hold them in place when folded up.  It’s enough of improvement in comfort that I’d leave it this way even if I can’t find a way to keep them folded up, but it’s a bit annoying when walking through the grocery store.

I’m trying to come up with a way to solve this but thought maybe someone had experience with a similar mod and may have a solution?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Mono said:

The small screws in place to tighten/loose the folding of the pedals don't work anymore with the new pedals?

There is one small set screw that goes in from the center bottom of the flange that the pedal is attached to but it is intended to keep the shaft centered and doesn’t affect the pedal. Then there are two screws the go in through holes in the sides of the pedal that keep the shaft from being able to escape from either side but even when tightened in all the way don’t affect the folding tension of the pedal.   So none of the screws directly affect folding tension of the pedal.

The V10 pedal is wider than the V8 pedal with a slightly wider gap, so I added a couple of washers to keep it from shimmying back and forth.   I don’t have access to a V10 to inspect and see where the tension comes from.

1 hour ago, DanCar said:

I couldn't find v10 pedals on their website.

Jason / eWheels often has more stock than listed online, you just need to e-mail.

50 minutes ago, mdogbucket said:

There is one small set screw that goes in from the center bottom of the flange that the pedal is attached to but it is intended to keep the shaft centered and doesn’t affect the pedal.

So none of the screws directly affect folding tension of the pedal.

I don’t have access to a V10 to inspect and see where the tension comes from.

@Mono means the center / bottom grub screw.

This screw keeps / adjusts the tension of the pedals unfolding on All InMotion wheels (including the V10). Except that the grub screw tend to come loose often, so some thread-locker can help maintain this tightness.

Personally, I just wish they went with magnets, ala Gotway,... so much easier than KS or InMotion tension-based methods.

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2018 at 6:49 PM, mdogbucket said:

There is one small set screw that goes in from the center bottom of the flange that the pedal is attached to but it is intended to keep the shaft centered and doesn’t affect the pedal.

I think this may be the grub screw in question. I am positive that there is this screw on my V8 with which I can control how easily/stiffly the pedals move up and down EDIT: prevent the pedal from getting loose. The screw is meant to prevent the shaft from turning. As @houseofjobmentioned, without loctite this screw may get loose easily, for me like every other week.

Edited by Mono

22 hours ago, houseofjob said:

This screw keeps / adjusts the tension of the pedals unfolding on All InMotion wheels (including the V10). Except that the grub screw tend to come loose often, so some thread-locker can help maintain this tightness.

Actually, I don't believe this is correct because then you would have metal on metal rubbing. This grub screw simply locks the shaft in position to retain the pedal and stop the shaft spinning. The screws at each end of the pedal have nylon end caps to provide some friction and these wear down slowly and can be adjusted to control the hinge stiffness of the pedals. Plastic against metal, not metal against metal as that would be bad design. The centre grub screw should be tight to avoid it coming loose and prevent the shaft from spinning.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nic said:

Actually, I don't believe this is correct because then you would have metal on metal rubbing. This grub screw simply locks the shaft in position to retain the pedal and stop the shaft spinning. The screws at each end of the pedal have nylon end caps to provide some friction and these wear down slowly and can be adjusted to control the hinge stiffness of the pedals. Plastic against metal, not metal against metal as that would be bad design. The centre grub screw should be tight to avoid it coming loose and prevent the shaft from spinning.

Did you actually try out which screw(s) prevent the folded pedal from falling down?

35 minutes ago, Nic said:

Hmmm, I didn’t even think about the purpose of the plastic ends of the side grub screws that is unique to InMotion, interesting.

But the fact is, screwing in the bottom grub screw tighter on all InMotion will also definitely increase the tension preventing the pedals from inadvertently dropping. This has been the case for All my InMotion wheels I’ve owned, and I’ve owned every one of their EUCs. (Plus, you can see this is IM’s intention, as some of my IM wheels had loctite residue on that bottom grub screw from the factory).

I guess all 3 grub screws will increase tension then. I still waaaay prefer magnets tho *smh, and have taped them into my V10F.

Edited by houseofjob

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Hmmm, I didn’t even think about the purpose of the plastic ends of the side grub screws that is unique to InMotion, interesting.

But the fact is, screwing in the bottom grub screw tighter on all InMotion will also definitely increase the tension preventing the pedals from inadvertently dropping. This has been the case for All my InMotion wheels I’ve owned, and I’ve owned every one of their EUCs.

I guess all 3 grub screws are will increase tension then. I still waaaay prefer magnets tho *smh, and have taped them into my V10F.

To be fair, I could be wrong about this, but normally plastic against metal is used for controlled friction without wearing down metal parts. That doesn't mean I'm correct, but it makes more sense to me that way (it certainly works for me when set up this way) and why would you want a pointy grub screw chewing up your shaft. I don't own any other wheels to compare.

Edited by Nic
  • Upvote 1

@Nic yes, I realize you are right now on the plastic end-fitted grub screws, but the center one will also tighten as well, and there is no other reason to have it, as I believe I remember (might be wrong) the InMotion pedal rod has no center groove to it (I think the old 16” Ninebot ones did). I’ve been tightening that way since my old V5 days, and it never even made a dent or scratch on the pedal rod FWIW.

3 hours ago, Siggy said:

Hold on if this is a silly question...

however is this a simple pedal swap or are there other mods necessary to fit the V10 pedal on a V8

Simple enough, you just need extra metal spacers in between the pedal arm and inner pedal, so they don’t rattle around.

Also, FWIW, you can fit any current model Gotway pedals onto InMotion, and vice-versa, just give it a try!

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/22/2018 at 3:30 PM, houseofjob said:

as I believe I remember (might be wrong) the InMotion pedal rod has no center groove to it

The Inmotion pedal rod HAS a center groove and that set screw provides no tension to the pedal whatsoever.  It just keeps the rod centered and in place.  

6 minutes ago, mdogbucket said:

The Inmotion pedal rod HAS a center groove and that set screw provides no tension to the pedal whatsoever.  It just keeps the rod centered and in place.  

Interesting, please post a pic, I’ll do the same.

100% sure one side of my V10F center grub screw does provide pressure, but the other side unfortunately does not.

still hate this method tho <_<

• 7 months later...
On 11/24/2018 at 10:50 PM, mdogbucket said:

The V8 rod has a center groove, the V10 rod does not, as I found out when I replaced the former with the latter. The rod cannot escape, because it is tight on both ends to the plastic fixed with the big screws. The set screw is meant to prevent that the rod is turning. If the rod turns freely the pedal will not stay folded.

Edited by Mono