Ninebot Z10 Battery Issues: Pressure Differential

GaryS

I'm having an issue with a new Ninebot Z10, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The unit has been working perfectly for the past 2 weeks until yesterday. I left in the morning with a full charge. Around 10km into my ride the wheel started rocking. I looked down and saw the battery was down to two bars. Then suddenly, the unit started rocking quite rapidly and a quiet alarm went off. I slowed down, and the unit rocked back and shut off. It would not boot back up. I walked to the bus and headed home. At home the unit booted back up and reported 30% battery. I recharged it fully, but noticed that the total distance at full charge was down to 35km, and only one battery was listed in the app. I rode it and it drained very quickly and shut off after 12km again. 

This morning after a full overnight charge, everything looked normal. There were two batteries listed in the app and the available distance was listed as 85km or so. I went out for a ride and watched the batteries. Everything seemed normal with the voltage to each battery as I rode slowly for around 4km. Then, I put my phone in my pocked and took the wheel up to 30km (speed). Suddenly, the wheel started rocking again. I stopped and checked the app. There was a "pressure differential" popup warning, and only one battery was listed. I turned the wheel and app on and off, but it still only lists one battery in the info section.

I tried to export the blackbox info, but the app locks when it tries to email.

Has anyone else had any battery issues? This is likely the most recent batch of wheels to come into the US in early November. 

• Like 1

The only battery 'issue' that I've had on my (first US batch) Z10 is that the regenerative charging only occurs on one of the batteries. So if you go for a long ride that includes some ups and downs due to various hills, you'll see that the two batteries are no longer at the same level. But on a typical ride this will only add up to a handful of percentage difference between the two batteries. When I had an extended 4600-ft descent, the difference was about 25-percent.

This behavior is due to how Ninebot designed their wheel.

What you describe is clearly a failure of the wheel. I assume that it's one of the battery packs but I suppose it could originate in the control board.

Hopefully you purchased it from a dealer that offers after sales support.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GaryS said:

I'm having an issue with a new Ninebot Z10, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The unit has been working perfectly for the past 2 weeks until yesterday. I left in the morning with a full charge. Around 10km into my ride the wheel started rocking. I looked down and saw the battery was down to two bars. Then suddenly, the unit started rocking quite rapidly and a quiet alarm went off. I slowed down, and the unit rocked back and shut off. It would not boot back up. I walked to the bus and headed home. At home the unit booted back up and reported 30% battery. I recharged it fully, but noticed that the total distance at full charge was down to 35km, and only one battery was listed in the app. I rode it and it drained very quickly and shut off after 12km again. 

This morning after a full overnight charge, everything looked normal. There were two batteries listed in the app and the available distance was listed as 85km or so. I went out for a ride and watched the batteries. Everything seemed normal with the voltage to each battery as I rode slowly for around 4km. Then, I put my phone in my pocked and took the wheel up to 30km (speed). Suddenly, the wheel started rocking again. I stopped and checked the app. There was a "pressure differential" popup warning, and only one battery was listed. I turned the wheel and app on and off, but it still only lists one battery in the info section.

I tried to export the blackbox info, but the app locks when it tries to email.

Has anyone else had any battery issues? This is likely the most recent batch of wheels to come into the US in early November. 

If every time the battery pack missing is the same pack, then that pack may have problem. I remember there is an app that can list voltage for every cell in packs.  That app may tell you which cell is bad.

On the positive side, it seems Z10's safety feature is good in the sense that earlier models will cut-out or cannot brake well in this situation.

• Like 1

A bit unnerving to get a rocking warning while going 35km an hour, but the dual battery pack and smart firmware likely saved me from a faceplant... I bought it from eWheels, so their support is great. They've already emailed back and want the wheel or batteries sent back in. Didn't even consider the "good deals" on Alibaba; heard too many nightmares about non-existent support, and this is not a cheap unit to say the least. 

• Like 2

A couple have reported the issue, or something similar.  Plug your wheel in for charging, the second battery may instantly re-appear, and the issue might vanish.  Or you need to charge again full charge, and it may balance the battery again.  so Plug it in and tell us what happens.

2 hours ago, FreeRide said:

A couple have reported the issue, or something similar.  Plug your wheel in for charging, the second battery may instantly re-appear, and the issue might vanish.  Or you need to charge again full charge, and it may balance the battery again.  so Plug it in and tell us what happens.

I did do a full overnight recharge, and the battery reappeared, but when the wheel hits a high speed, one of the batteries fails again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GaryS said:

I did do a full overnight recharge, and the battery reappeared, but when the wheel hits a high speed, one of the batteries fails again.

This really does seem like a bad battery. At a given speed the Z10 motor is requiring more current than the battery is capable of supplying. I imagine that you'd get the same response if you climbed a steep hill.

For kicks, have you tried the app described here for any more possible diagnostic info? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This really does seem like a bad battery. At a given speed the Z10 motor is requiring more current than the battery is capable of supplying. I imagine that you'd get the same response if you climbed a steep hill.

For kicks, have you tried the app described here for any more possible diagnostic info? 

I'm running iOS, so I can't run the Andriod app. But that message about the differential pressure is exactly what I was seeing for a few days before the first failure. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 1:37 PM, Marty Backe said:

Has anybody been able to run the ninebattery 1.6 app and connect to Z10? I tried. App installs, but can't connect to Z10

https://mimod.ru/en_US/ninebattery/

I have the same battery pressure problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs52zqjfqIc

Fully charging the battery doesn't solve the problem.

3 hours ago, SJ Z10 said:

Has anybody been able to run the ninebattery 1.6 app and connect to Z10? I tried. App installs, but can't connect to Z10

https://mimod.ru/en_US/ninebattery/

I have the same battery pressure problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs52zqjfqIc

Fully charging the battery doesn't solve the problem.

I've never run that app.

But I'm curious. You fully charged the wheel and the wheel app shows that both batteries are at 100-percent?

5 hours ago, SJ Z10 said:

Has anybody been able to run the ninebattery 1.6 app and connect to Z10? I tried.

I run NINEbattery fairly regularly to check string voltages and havent had any problems with it. What exactly are you seeing when you launch the app?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Planemo said:

I run NINEbattery fairly regularly to check string voltages and havent had any problems with it. What exactly are you seeing when you launch the app?

@SJ Z10 I also use NINEbattery and after pretty much every full charge recently, just to make sure both batteries are up to 100%.  I have never had a problem with the app and find it invaluable for the peace of mind it gives by being able to see the status of the 14 cell groups of each individual battery.  I also check the readings straight after a ride when I'm down to around the 20% mark, just before I shut the wheel down. 

If you are having problems connecting to the Z10, maybe make sure there is no other app connected at the same time as the Bluetooth connection will only connect one at a time.  For example, WheelLog or the Segway-Ninebot App running will not allow you to connect NINEbattery as well, you need to quit out of the other app!

Edited by fbhb

• 1 year later...

Hey folks!

Today I come with a similar issue.

I just came home on my screaming Z10 (should be first batch, bought SH), tilted back extremely and the app warned because of huge battery percentage difference. The first picture is a screenshot of Ninebattery taken a week ago - everything ok. Today it looks like in the second shot. What makes me wondering is the exactly same voltage. So how can the remaining capacity be so different?

photo-2020-10-16-20-44-30.jpgphoto-2020-10-16-20-44-31.jpg

I did not pass unnoticed that in the second battery pack there is a difference of 1 V between the first and second 3-cell-pairs. But never the less this seems very odd to me.

What would You say, BMS fault or Battery defect?

Btw what means "Status" in Ninebattery?

• Like 1

I have the same problem. From time to time I get this pressure differential warning and when riding I have to constantly be looking at the ninebot app so that I will know when there's a massive tiltback about to come. The app shows the warning just before the beeping and tiltback starts. It's not a nice feeling to be doing, say 20 km/h, and suddenly your wheel tilts back to 45 degree angle. Pretty much the only thing left to do is fall off the wheel, which has happened to me several times already.