Wheelemetrics: Custom Gotway/King Song -app

esaj

9 hours ago, andress said:

Hi @esaj,

would something like this help? I captured it using built in developer tool in android. I have KS14C the newest mark III. The app shows around 117,9 km on odometer (it doesn't measure correctly when I don't have the app on) and 58.3 V battery voltage.

first is me connecting, then riding the euc with hand for few secs between 0 and 5kmph

second is connecting and while the euc is stationary I apply pressure for few secs and the current shown in the app goes up to around 30 amps, velocity is no more than 1kmph

Third is just connecting and disconnecting two times while not moving the euc at all

I'm not sure if all the logs are captured correctly as it was first time I did something like this.

Ondra

connect 0-5kmh disconnect.log

connect no movement applied force current up to 30A disconnect.log

no movement 2x connect and disconnect.log

Thanks, the captures are fine, Wireshark can analyze the traffic from those.

Of course this is but the first step, next I'd need to disassemble the original app, to get some clues what is what and how to read the data (I can see & extract the data handles from the traffic, but interpreting the values is yet another matter) , and then I'd still need something to test it with. If I do get a KS myself at some point, you can be fairly sure the app will start supporting it shortly, but before that, don't hold your breath ;)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, esaj said:

Thanks, the captures are fine, Wireshark can analyze the traffic from those.

Of course this is but the first step, next I'd need to disassemble the original app, to get some clues what is what and how to read the data (I can see & extract the data handles from the traffic, but interpreting the values is yet another matter) , and then I'd still need something to test it with. If I do get a KS myself at some point, you can be fairly sure the app will start supporting it shortly, but before that, don't hold your breath ;)

yeah I understand that :) and hope that you will get kingsong (mine is awesome!) or they will man up and make some better app themselves
if you ever need someone to do some tests or more captures let me know, I would be glad to help

I started to add settings for locking orientation (so it no longer turns 180 degress if you tilt the phone / tablet) and switching between ISO and imperial units. Stupid question: should imperial units use Fahrenheit instead of Celsius for temperature?

Committed & released a new version:

-Added possibility to lock screen orientation
-Added possibility to use imperial units (miles/fahrenheit)
-Added speed correction factor
-Added current correction factor

s0QuIE2.png

Under "Settings" (before it was called "Speed warnings") there are now two new checkboxes: Lock orientation and Imperial units.

Lock orientation locks the orientation so that it won't turn even if you turn your phone/tablet 180 degrees. Imperial units changes values to show miles / fahrenheit instead of kilometers / celsius.

The two new number pickers adjust correction factors for speed & current. The value is actually 1/10ths, so 10 = 1.0, 3 = 0.3 etc. The values can be adjusted between 1 and 20 (0.1-2.0). Defaults to 10 (1.0), and values are stored when changed (so they are remembered the next time you start the app).

Using imperial units or correction factors has no effect on recorded data, it will still be kilometers/celsius and no correction factors are used.

Don't know if the new settings fit on screen with small screens... I haven't yet figured out how to make the fragment view scrollable. :P Maybe later...

1 hour ago, esaj said:

The two new number pickers adjust correction factors for speed & current. The value is actually 1/10ths, so 10 = 1.0, 3 = 0.3 etc. The values can be adjusted between 1 and 20 (0.1-2.0). Defaults to 10 (1.0), and values are stored when changed (so they are remembered the next time you start the app).

Thank you @esaj :) it's so good of you to dedicate your time in providing us with this very helpful app. Now we need somebody to give us the realistic speed correction factor for the Gotway.

15 hours ago, esaj said:

Don't know if the new settings fit on screen with small screens...

Thanks a lot, @esaj. Glad to see the progress!

Unfortunately this layout doesn't fit, here is how it looks on my Sony Xperia Z3v. Maybe you just can allow scaling?
BTW, this app always works for me in "landscape" mode, I was never able to see it in "portrait", so I'm a bit puzzled with the locking orientation control.

Screenshot_2016-01-26-13-29-32.png

Screenshot_2016-01-26-13-29-00.png

8 hours ago, trya said:

Thanks a lot, @esaj. Glad to see the progress!

Unfortunately this layout doesn't fit, here is how it looks on my Sony Xperia Z3v. Maybe you just can allow scaling?
BTW, this app always works for me in "landscape" mode, I was never able to see it in "portrait", so I'm a bit puzzled with the locking orientation control.

Screenshot_2016-01-26-13-29-00.png

Yeah, it's too large to fit smaller screens, I'll have to see what I can do about it once I got some more time  :mellow:

You could try checking & unchecking "Lock orientation", then trying if it turns to portrait-mode. There might actually be a bug that allows this once the orientation lock is toggled on & off :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, sbouju said:

The download link of the application no longer works, from here... Because a new version is coming soon? :)

The web-server that hosted it no longer exists (it was hosted & paid for by a friend earlier). 

Here's the source code in github, in case someone wants to build it themselves:  https://github.com/esaj/Wheelemetrics

Totally forgot that the forum has a downloads section, hosted here now:

19 minutes ago, esaj said:

The web-server that hosted it no longer exists (it was hosted & paid for by a friend earlier). I need to find some other space to host the apk.

Here's the source code in github, in case someone wants to build it themselves:  https://github.com/esaj/Wheelemetrics

Thanks @esaj for this prompt answer.

And thanks for this good work! :)

Having initiated a post on the french EUC forum about Wheelemetrics this morning, this problem has been quickly objectived! ;)

So, I have temporarily put the APK available from my dropox... Tell me if it is OK...!

The topic is here: https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/558-wheelemetrics/?do=findComment&comment=7638

and the app here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qxw6xf3maax88/app.apk?dl=0

or there (?): https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq9hw2cnev8wmuw/app-60kmh.apk?dl=0

1 minute ago, sbouju said:

Thanks @esaj for this prompt answer.

And thanks for this good work! :)

Having initiated a post on the french EUC forum about Wheelemetrics this morning, this problem has been quickly objectived! ;)

So, I have temporarily put the APK available from my dropox... Tell me if it is OK...!

The topic is here: https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/558-wheelemetrics/?do=findComment&comment=7638

and the app here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qxw6xf3maax88/app.apk?dl=0

No problem, I also added it to the forums downloads-section, after John Eucist reminded me of its existence ;)

I probably should add some licensing information in the repository, like WTFPL:   http://www.wtfpl.net/

2 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

If the sources are OpenSource and the project is on Github, you can simple use Github or put the apk file on the repo as the other source files.

True that, although I don't like the idea of using a source control to host binary files, because the repositories tend to grow large if it changes often (source controls are text-based, so they can't track changes in binary files, but instead keep a full copy of the file instead of what has changed). On the other hand, it's not really my problem if they run out of disk space :P

10 minutes ago, esaj said:

No problem, I also added it to the forums downloads-section, after John Eucist reminded me of its existence ;)

Well, so this forum version is the later version, I imagine?

One (little!) drawback with this (good!) solution maybe that one needs to be a forum member, I think, for downloading the program.

17 minutes ago, esaj said:

True that, although I don't like the idea of using a source control to host binary files, because the repositories tend to grow large if it changes often (source controls are text-based, so they can't track changes in binary files, but instead keep a full copy of the file instead of what has changed). On the other hand, it's not really my problem if they run out of disk space :P

Here: https://help.github.com/articles/distributing-large-binaries/

Since we all know that gotway overestimates the speed maybe it would be possible to measure the difference few times and estimate function (probably linear - just incorrect circumstance of the wheel) to correct the value? Or is your app already doing that? 

7 hours ago, andress said:

Since we all know that gotway overestimates the speed maybe it would be possible to measure the difference few times and estimate function (probably linear - just incorrect circumstance of the wheel) to correct the value? Or is your app already doing that? 

In the newest version, there are speed & current correction factors under settings, although I'm not sure if they fit the screen with a phone. I don't have a Gotway or King Song to test the error with, so they're 1.0 by default.

8 minutes ago, esaj said:

In the newest version, there are speed & current correction factors under settings, although I'm not sure if they fit the screen with a phone. I don't have a Gotway or King Song to test the error with, so they're 1.0 by default.

I have not seen that on my phone (a 5.5" screen), but I am not sure that it has the newest version of Wheelemetrics installed!

17 hours ago, sbouju said:

I have not seen that on my phone (a 5.5" screen), but I am not sure that it has the newest version of Wheelemetrics installed!

Just tried it with a bigger screen...

Not perfect, I see, but I can now think that it is the "good" version! :)

May be if the "Lock orientation" check box was not checked by default it would be easier to handle on smaller screens?

Screenshot_2016-05-12-12-21-19.jpg

Archived