HEY, KINGSONG. WHAT'S NEXT?

Lutalo

OK. So, we now have the XL on deck. What's next? Obviously,  technological improvements to the device are an ongoing issue of great importance. My thoughts will be focused on immediate refinements that I think KS could give us. This means more design-focused thoughts on improvements. 

Updates I would like to see would be:

1. Total redesign of the tall form factor - I would like to see KS revisit the tall form factor, and perhaps give us an updated version of that form factor for our lovers of seated riding positions. Offer both versions, short and tall side-by-side. The single shell setup may be related to strength for seated riding. However the new tall version should have an explodable outer shell setup like the 18L/XL. Let the engineers figure out the best way to make that happen. Now that I have the 18L/XL for comparison, I feel that the single shell setup sucks because it makes the guts more difficult to access. I love the way that the 18L/XL makes access possible,  and KS should carry this setup over to a new tall design without compromising the shells strength for seated riding accommodation or adding significantly more weight. A performance hierarchy here should be nonexistent. The new tall one should be equally equipped to the XL. The new tall would be a distance hauler so I am not sure if an L equivalent will be necessary. 

3. KS. Please listen. Kill the paste-on pads and give us Screw-on pads please. This needs to happen on all wheels,  because it makes accessing the guts that much easier without dealing with messy tapes. 

4. Spend more time designing nicer mudflap appendages. Make them appear more intrinsic to the wheel design, and not a slap-on afterthought. It's the small things that count, and obsessive refinement makes me feel that much more special. :efee8319ab:

5. More color finishes - Black and perhaps other color finishes on the wheel and wheel hangers. So we can truly black-out a wheel and otherwise personalize wheels. Customer should have more choices and control over how their wheels are optioned. 

More shell color-finish options. Not every one wants black or white. More personalization options equals more special feeling customers. More special feeling customers means more loyal customers. I have made numerous purchases where available options or feature-richness have been the dealmaker.

6. Built-in wheelstands. Please figure this one out. Tired of leaning my wheel on walls and benches. 

Let's see. Uhmmmm. Trolley handle,  and headlight improvements being addressed. Well, Okay. I am running out of suggestions. Any other Thoughts?

I'd like to see a ruggedised EUC with replaceable rubber bumpers (and thicker plastic) to take knocks. Also thick tubeless tires with strong puncture protection and larger batteries across the range for those of us that live in hilly areas. Also headlamp with dip and full beam settings. An inch of suspension might be nice too.

6 minutes ago, Nic said:

I'd like to see a ruggedised EUC with replaceable rubber bumpers to take knocks. Also thick tubeless tires with strong puncture protection and larger batteries across the range for those of us that live in hilly areas. Also headlamp with dip and full beam settings.

Nice. A more purpose-built specialized version for the rugged outdoorsman. Although certain headlight tech will be limited in this application just yet. I am sure it's coming. There is another thread where riders are currently discussing the intrinsic value of gyroscopic, lean, and altitude sensor equipped headlight technology applied to EUCs. I think it's coming although not immediately.

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Nice. A more purpose-built specialized version for the rugged outdoorsman. Although certain headlight tech will be limited in this application just yet. I am sure it's coming. There is another thread where riders are currently discussing the intrinsic value of gyroscopic, lean, and altitude sensor equipped headlight technology applied to EUCs. I think it's coming although not immediately.

The biggest issue with headlghts is that the EUC always remains level so its angle with the road will change when on hills ... the beam will point at the ground when going up hills and it will point at the sky when going down hills. This is not an easy problem to solve.

1 hour ago, Nic said:

The biggest issue with headlghts is that the EUC always remains level so its angle with the road will change when on hills ... the beam will point at the ground when going up hills and it will point at the sky when going down hills. This is not an easy problem to solve.

The easy resolution is to purchase a "headlamp" like this  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boruit-6000-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-T6-2xR5-LED-Headlamp-Torch-Headlight-2x-Charger-/253782283035?hash=item3b169a531b ... it can be attached to your helmet and will shine light exactly where you are looking... they have different settings for brightness, flashing, etc... no fixed lamp will allow you to see to the side if you are making a turn, you will know something is there when you HIT IT...

1 hour ago, Nic said:

Right. It's difficult. I am grateful that all I have to do is want it, and the engineers must figure it out. Something that will respond to altitude: tilting the light, but not tilting the wheel. 

1 minute ago, Marcglider said:

The easy resolution is to purchase a "headlamp" like this  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boruit-6000-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-T6-2xR5-LED-Headlamp-Torch-Headlight-2x-Charger-/253782283035?hash=item3b169a531b ... it can be attached to your helmet and will shine light exactly where you are looking... they have different settings for brightness, flashing, etc... no fixed lamp will allow you to see to the side if you are making a turn, you will know something is there when you HIT IT...

Very true. That is today's fix, but it's cooler if the wheel can do it. :efee8319ab:

If I were to toss my 2 cents here...

1) A proper weater/water/dust seal like IP67. Yes I know you might be fine in most cases, a proper classification make it a truly commuting tool. Note: I know riding water pool has its safety hazards as I just took a fall today due to 2" deep pothole half filled with water.

2) A utility mount front and back for e.g. stronger head/tail lights or actions. Once you have a mounting option prepared in design you would Ser people doing all kind of fun stuff with it. 

3) Yes I chose to highlight this on my list too a rest/parking stand.

4) A real strong trolley function (could be handle or other design).

5) I agree with tape mounted pads needs to be upgraded. Maybe use of 3m dual lock tape and this not covering any screws you need to access to service the EUC/wheel.

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

If I were to toss my 2 cents here...

1) A proper weater/water/dust seal like IP67. Yes I know you might be fine in most cases, a proper classification make it a truly commuting tool. Note: I know riding water pool has its safety hazards as I just took a fall today due to 2" deep pothole half filled with water.

2) A utility mount front and back for e.g. stronger head/tail lights or actions. Once you have a mounting option prepared in design you would Ser people doing all kind of fun stuff with it. 

3) Yes I chose to highlight this on my list too a rest/parking stand.

4) A real strong trolley function (could be handle or other design).

5) I agree with tape mounted pads needs to be upgraded. Maybe use of 3m dual lock tape and this not covering any screws you need to access to service the EUC/wheel.

All great suggestions. I think the handle and foot platforms will incrementally get better. I now have the new black handle one on my 18L. I have had all three iterations; this one is the best. I also just ordered the new larger foot platforms; I think that I will lime those better as well. Hope that you were not injured too badly on your fall. 

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

All great suggestions. I think the handle and foot platforms will incrementally get better. I now have the new black handle one on my 18L. I have had all three iterations; this one is the best. I also just ordered the new larger foot platforms; I think that I will lime those better as well. Hope that you were not injured too badly on your fall. 

Nope just my pride. I were in a way prepared it could happen. I saw the pot hole but a car overtaking a parked in uppersite lane into mine forced me into the pot otherwise I would had gone around it. 

Pitch dark, pure lighting, started to rain light again, pot hole was a luring trap ?

But I were fully geared up and my Flexmeter took some impact and I ki da managed to partly roll/tumble with the fall over on shoulder. I had my bike helmet on a TSG Solid (It has a red led in neck/back). But helmet never took any impact due to my rolling motion.

Actually quite pleased I managed to faceplant forward motion into a rolling motion. With a sense, I can fall and my saftygear works ???

But thanks for you comment and asking. 

Note: this was on my Inmotion V8. I think if had done this on my KS18L I might have managed to keep my balance due to bigger rim and better cushion effect of the2.5" tyre. I so miss my KS18L, as it is still away for trolley and lamp fix service.?

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

...I ki da managed to partly roll/tumble with the fall over on shoulder. I had my bike helmet on a TSG Solid (It has a red led in neck/back). But helmet never took any impact due to my rolling motion.

Actually quite pleased I managed to faceplant forward motion into a rolling motion.

I want them to design a better motor and not this generic BS.  the motors can be so much lighter if they use lighter materials.  Also if they made the motors to be the size of the wheel instead of reusing the same motor but adding spokes to it.  this explains why the 18" wheels feel so sluggish.  because it is really the same motor they are using in the 16" wheels but with the spokes added.  

I want a light 18" wheel at 16" weight.  I think they can do better on the axle, make it thicker to put in thicker motor wires.  the electronics is good enough, the motor has some catching up to do.  

Make a 18" with a folding seat, maybe redesign the 18S to be a smaller package with a telescoping seat, magnesium motor.  The motor is the heaviest part of the EUC, they can do a lot there if they designed it themselves or had some input into what they wanted from the motor company they are sourcing it from.  

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

Actually quite pleased I managed to faceplant forward motion into a rolling motion. 

That might be something that we should all be practicing more; the good old tuck-n-roll. Glad that you were unhurt. ??

9 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Make a 18" with a folding seat, maybe redesign the 18S to be a smaller package with a telescoping seat, magnesium motor. 

Give them time to get the telescoping trolley right first :D

11 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Also if they made the motors to be the size of the wheel instead of reusing the same motor but adding spokes to it.  this explains why the 18" wheels feel so sluggish.  because it is really the same motor they are using in the 16" wheels but with the spokes added.  

Good point. It makes sense that they are using the same casings and pimping out some internal components to get the higher wattage.

The motor recycling strategy is similar to how automobile manufacturers slap forced induction components on to a base engine as a cost saving measure to create higher performance versions of their model lines; Corvette Stingray - ZR1 comes to mind here. 

25 minutes ago, DanCar said:

What do think of designing wheels so that they can hold a pole with a camera?

I love the idea of sturdy, reliable, convenient, versatile and well integrated attachment mounts built into the wheel. @Unventor mentioned utility mounts as one of things he would like to see a little earlier in the thread.

1 hour ago, DanCar said:

What do think of designing wheels so that they can hold a pole with a camera?

I imagine a pole sticking out in front or to the rear.  Not very flexible and first thought would be a hazard.  Would also throw off the balance or ride dynamics.  

10 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I imagine a pole sticking out in front or to the rear.  Not very flexible and first thought would be a hazard.  Would also throw off the balance or ride dynamics.  

So it would be better to hold the pole all the time?

35 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

safer.  with pole fixed, you will have problem moving around.

🤔🤔 maybe,  but affixing it to the wheel would certainly be more convenient.

Although I see in your videos that you maneuver around with ghost pole in hand pretty smoothly, wouldn't it be easier if your hands were free? 

3 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Although I see in your videos that you maneuver around with ghost pole in hand pretty smoothly, wouldn't it be easier if your hands were free? 

i think you have to try it attached to your wheel to get what i mean.  

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

i think you have to try it attached to your wheel to get what i mean.  

Most likely.

I should start, but currently I don't ride at all with a camera. I see some pretty interesting stuff riding through DC, be fun to memorialize some of it.

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

If you put extra weight towards the front or back of your wheel it will try to move in that direction to balance ... normally the rider does the counterbalance for the offset weight they are holding.

16 minutes ago, Nic said:

If you put extra weight towards the front or back of your wheel it will try to move in that direction to balance ... normally the rider does the counterbalance for the offset weight they are holding.

True,  but how much extra weight are we talking? I imagine the weight of a small pocket-sized camera, like the 360 @eddiemoy carries in his videos would have a virtually negligible impact on the wheel's behaviour. 

Haha, good post, but my first reaction was like, "what's next?", because brands are releasing upgraded/new units so quick now that it's crazy haha.
A new EUC like the 18L is not the newest anymore because of the 18XL :P 

Archived