Tire pressure >35psi

Sergei Dubovsky

I decided to try 45psi. Bad idea. I hit a small pothole and got a very painful kick to heels, that went through the whole body. My knees, back and neck were in pain for a whole day. Thank goodness, it seems to went away today.

The whole reason to increase pressure - to get some more speed/power and stability, didn't deliver what I was expecting. Accelerations seems the same. Handling is super-weird: it's way more unstable-ish... Hard to describe. It's more difficult to keep riding in a straight line.  Mount/start from zero-speed got way more difficult - I am getting wobbles, until I get at least to a walking speed.

I am getting back to 35-ish psi. May be 38-40? I was bit puzzled yesterday - I got beeped, and the Darkness Bot only show me max speed of 14mph.

Weight is one factor, but what I've observed is lower PSI is easier to mount at low start speeds, slightly harder to maneuver. Higher PSI is more nimble but requires better skill/control. This is for pavement. On dirt tracks I imagine you want lower PSI in general for better traction. So it may be as a novice you want to use lower PSI but as you gain more experience you can start increasing the pressure.

3 hours ago, Sergei Dubovsky said:

I am close to twice your weight. I guess,

Ninebot CSI tire is marked with 150kg max load, so You should be within the limits... but maybe the desire to ride will convince You to take care of personal health / eating habits? 

3 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Ninebot CSI tire is marked with 150kg max load, so You should be within the limits... but maybe the desire to ride will convince You to take care of personal health / eating habits? 

You know, there's always the chance Sergei could be someone like Ronnie Coleman, who's also almost 140 kg.

Image result for ronnie coleman

But yeah, the odds are probably not. Still, don't assume.

18 hours ago, Lukasz said:

I've been there -40 kilo and a 4th place in Mid-Atlantic Erg Sprints in a year. But a knee injury took it all back. Some people are just cursed with the weight, no matter how clean you eat. 

Anyway, markings on my tire are 32psi for 190kg cold.

Archived