Aric Lasry

Dualtron 3 III battery quality

Hi,

I am looking into buying either the Dualtron Ultra OR the Dualtron 3.

I am trying to grasp the differences. I can read online that the Dualtron Ultra has an LG battery, which for me goes with quality, but I can't find anything about the battery for the Dualtron 3.

Can anyone help me shed the light on Dualtron 3 vs Dualtron Thunder? 

Thanks.

The III an Thunder have a 16S (67.2V full charge) pack made of Samsung INR18650-30Q cells. These are some of the best available.

I'd highly recommend getting a Charge Doctor to manage charging, cutoff at about 80% charge (64.8V under charge). This reduces usable range on each charge by about 28% (assuming "empty" is 30%, then recharged), but you just about double the charge cycle life of the batteries. Drop the charge limit to 70% peak, and you can get close to 3x the charge cycles.

Unless you need the full power of a 100%, 67.2V charge and/or the maximum range in a single riding session, there's no reason to stress the batteries with a full charge. Especially if you have a Dualtron, there's so much power headroom that you can easily routinely follow a good battery maintenance strategy. I probably run single motor 70% of my riding... I switch on the front motor only when needed to accelerate quicker, get up a steep hill, maintain a fast speed (35-40) when the road inclines.

Dualtron 3 can't be using 30Q because it's configuration is 16s 8p. In order to achieve 1658WH it has to be Samsung 35E. 

Sounds right. They advertised somewhere on some site (I can't remember where, after who know's how many sites I've visited researching this beast) that they were using Samsung cells, and not the LG cells that are in the II and Ultra, but I'm not 100% certain.