• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, travsformation said:

P.S. Based on the downvote, is religion a taboo subject in these forums? 

I don't think so, but certainly off-topic, so you posted in the wrong sub-forum (maybe a moderator can help out there).

29 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Pastafarians are not a religion, they are a fringe group designed to mock people. Not taboo, just in poor taste imo and nothing to do with eucs. 

Wikipedia claims that In New Zealand, Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. Not that fringe, I would say. Funny that they also pursued and got judiciary rulings in the US and The Netherlands that Pastafarianism is not a religion. OK, I stop now...

3 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Pastafarians are not a religion, they are a fringe group designed to mock people. Not taboo, just in poor taste imo and nothing to do with eucs. 

It isn't meant to mock religion, but rather to (satirically) oppose the teaching of intelligent design in schools and defend the teaching of well-established science. But this definitely isn't the place for that debate...

I do agree that it doesn't have anything to do with EUCs, I only posted to find fellow pastafarian riders (I'm an ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and an active member of said community :D), just like others post to find fellow riders in NYC. I guess I set out to connect with other riders based on affinity (pastafarianism, in this case) as opposed to location because there are no local sub-groups for my area....nor riders, for that matter (on my profile it states I'm from Barcelona, but I'm from a small town (<4,000) in that general area. Most of the people I've ridden by in my neighbourhood had never seen an EUC in their life...a lot of them didn't even know they existed... :efee612b4b:)

In any case, I meant no offence. And in terms of my thread not being EUC-related, if a moderator decides that it has no place in this forum, I have no issue whatsoever with it being deleted.

3 hours ago, Mono said:

Wikipedia claims that In New Zealand, Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings.

Not legally a religion here in Spain either. Ah, the ironies of life... :efefa6edcf:

47 minutes ago, travsformation said:

It isn't meant to mock religion, but [...]

I have a hard time to believe that this is not part of the story, and why being so defensive as if there would be anything wrong with that?

32 minutes ago, Mono said:

I have a hard time to believe that this is not part of the story, and why being so defensive as if there would be anything wrong with that?

Yeah, I guess that *was* defensive.... I really need to relax and shake that off... Too much time spent in grammar forums moderated by people with broomsticks up their ass... :efee612b4b:

On the subject of pastafarianism all I have to add is that the existence of our noodly God can't be disproven, and that in our heaven we have a beer volcano and a stripper factory.... ;)

5 hours ago, Mono said:

Wikipedia claims that In New Zealand, Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. Not that fringe, I would say. Funny that they also pursued and got judiciary rulings in the US and The Netherlands that Pastafarianism is not a religion. OK, I stop now...

They are widely seen here as SJWs without a good cause, out simply to stir up trouble.  We tolerate all kinds here unfortunately, hence why we have the second largest Scientologist base as well *smh* :eff01bbbfc:

Although the movement originations may be to provide an alternative to whatever you disagree with, the reality is the joe blogs member who signs up and gets involved realistically does it to turn their nose at people who have traditional beliefs.  There are already plenty of alternatives to religios schooling and its not taught in pulic schools here anyway.  Going to such extents as to organize rallies and protests (here in NZ) and disrupt school, work and public life (public schools, again where religion is not taught anyway.. go figure). Just so a kid can wear a colander on his head in class and claim its a religious head-covering.. Nah, not buying it.

For these reasons, i downvote you sir.  No offense meant.  But i dislike groups whose main use ends up providing a haven for bigotry or ridicule. One step removed from being a hate group IMO.

40 minutes ago, Mono said:

I disagree that there is nothing wrong with a group whose main purpose is to belittle, mock and segregate people.

14 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Going to such extents as to organize rallies and protests (here in NZ) and disrupt schools

I have never been in NZ and fail to see what that has to do with me... 

18 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

For these reasons, i downvote you sir.

And you're perfectly free to do so. Everyone's entitled to their opinion... 

19 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

They are widely seen here as SJWs without a good cause, out simply to stir up trouble.  We tolerate all kinds of nutty here unfortunatel[...] the reality is the joe blogs member who signs up and gets involved realistically does it to turn their nose at people who have traditional beliefs. [...]  i dislike groups whose main use ends up providing a haven for bigotry or ridicule

Will, I guess that's (one possible interpretation of) the reality of Pastafarianism in NZ. Why should that reality also apply to me? 

No offence meant, but don't confuse the group with the individual....generalisations are in themselves a form of bigotry... 

But going back to your first post, why are we even discussing this if it's off-topic and not EUC related? :efee8319ab:

5 minutes ago, travsformation said:

I have never been in NZ and fail to see what that has to do with me... 

Nothing, someone else brought up NZ and as its so prevalent here i commented with my experiences.

And you're perfectly free to do so. Everyone's entitled to their opinion... 

Will, I guess that's (one possible interpretation of) the reality of Pastafarianism in NZ. Why should that reality also apply to me? 

No offence meant, but don't confuse the group with the individual....generalisations are in themselves a form of bigotry... 

Doesn't work like that sorry, if your a skinhead nazi with KKK tatts it doesnt matter to me that your also a really nice guy.  You will be painted with the brush you decide to run with.

But going back to your first post, why are we even discussing this if it's off-topic and not EUC related? :efee8319ab:

Agreed, perhaps delete this post? :efef77eaf5: ;)

34 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

You will be painted with the brush you decide to run with.

I'm perfectly happy with the Pastafarian brush, but I think what you meant to say was "I will paint you according to the lense I choose to see you through". Not the same thing.... 

After all, the hue of the paint is in the eyes of the beholder ;) (and much "painting" pretty much equates to much judging, so.... Well, I'll leave it at that....) 

In any case, THE PURPOSE of this thread was to find out whether there were other like minded people I could connect with, with whom I could joke around about the connection between EUCs, pirates, global warming and spaghetti (not to start a debate about ethics, philosophy and the nuisances that pastafarians cause in NZ's public schools). If you don't agree with Pastafarianism, you don't have to participate in the conversation. ;)

Having said that, I'll leave it to the moderators to decide whether this thread should remain as is, be relocated or be deleted. No matter what or who you believe in, they're the Gods here :D

7 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

I disagree that there is nothing wrong with a group whose main purpose is to belittle, mock and segregate people.

I agree, though religion is not people, religion is an often quite harmful ideology with some dogmas that deserve ridicule to understand how ridiculous they are. It's kind of strange that you would denounce segregation under the flag of defending religion. What? Isn't religion the most powerful means of arbitrary segregation that human mankind has ever invented?

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

Should go here https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/17-off-topic-discussion/

5 hours ago, Mono said:

I agree, though religion is not people, religion is an often quite harmful ideology with some dogmas that deserve ridicule to understand how ridiculous they are. It's kind of strange that you would denounce segregation under the flag of defending religion. What? Isn't religion the most powerful means of arbitrary segregation that human mankind has ever invented?

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Mono said:

Can I move it myself or does that have to be done by a moderator?

5 minutes ago, travsformation said:

I assume moderator power is needed to do this.

5 hours ago, Mono said:

18 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Done.

10 minutes ago, Mono said:

I assume moderator power is needed to do this.

I don't know too, but if it's possible for the topic creator he should see "Move" in the dropdown menu from "Moderation Actions" at the top of the page (above the first post left of "Start new topic"). ... maybe this menu is called different for non-moderators ...?

13 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Done

Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I don't know too, but if it's possible for the topic creator he should see "Move" in the dropdown menu from "Moderation Actions" at the top of the page (above the first post left of "Start new topic"). ... maybe this menu is called different for non-moderators ...?

The only option I get when I click on  "Moderation actions" is "hide". Well, it's done now. I'll be more mindful of where I post new threads in the future! :)

14 hours ago, Mono said:

I agree, though religion is not people, religion is an often quite harmful ideology with some dogmas that deserve ridicule to understand how ridiculous they are. It's kind of strange that you would denounce segregation under the flag of defending religion. What?

Your assuming I'm defending religion, I'm not and agree with you on those. 

Isn't religion the most powerful means of arbitrary segregation that human mankind has ever invented?

Should go here https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/17-off-topic-discussion/

17 hours ago, travsformation said:

I'm perfectly happy with the Pastafarian brush, but I think what you meant to say was "I will paint you according to the lense I choose to see you through". Not the same thing.... 

After all, the hue of the paint is in the eyes of the beholder ;) (and much "painting" pretty much equates to much judging, so.... Well, I'll leave it at that....) 

In any case, THE PURPOSE of this thread was to find out whether there were other like minded people I could connect with, with whom I could joke around about the connection between EUCs, pirates, global warming and spaghetti (not to start a debate about ethics, philosophy and the nuisances that pastafarians cause in NZ's public schools). If you don't agree with Pastafarianism, you don't have to participate in the conversation. ;)

Having said that, I'll leave it to the moderators to decide whether this thread should remain as is, be relocated or be deleted. No matter what or who you believe in, they're the Gods here :D

There is one other Pastafarian on this forum, from Italy.  I forget his forum name but his profile picture shows him wearing a colander as a hat.  Someone asked him about the hat and he explained that he is a Pastafarian.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I forget his forum name but his profile picture shows him wearing a colander as a hat

Thanks. I'm sure I'll eventually come across a post of his, and based on what you said, he shouldn't be hard to recognise. :)

Archived