Mini Pro stopped balancing downhill

So I've used my Mini Pro since the beginning of may with almost no problems, but in the last two weeks I've three times experienced that it makes a beep, and stops balancing when I'm going downhill. In fact, it's happened almost exactly on the same spot, at the end of a long hill. I've ridden down this hill every weekday since may.

I am now scared, and have started getting off at the middle of the hill. 

Has anyone experienced this before? What do I do? I could send it to the store and have them send it to the importer for a checkup, but we all know they're just going to look at it for 30 seconds and charge me a fee for not finding anything wrong with it. 

I'm in Norway, so we're a matter of weeks away from having to stop using the Mini Pro until april anyway, so should I just throw it away and get a new one next year? 

Edited by Tom Fagerland

6 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

So I've used my Mini Pro since the beginning of may with almost no problems, but in the last two weeks I've three times experienced that it makes a beep, and stops balancing when I'm going downhill. In fact, it's happened almost exactly on the same spot, at the end of a long hill. I've ridden down this hill every weekday since may.

Maybe the batteries got "weaker" or you had it at different charge levels?

Is the range reduced in comparison to may, too?

6 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

I'm in Norway, so we're a matter of weeks away from having to stop using the Mini Pro until april anyway, so should I just throw it away and get a new one next year? 

If its the battery then you should solve the problem now - warranty on batteries is only 6 months?

Could this be an over-charge situation?  What is your charge level at the top if the hill vs the bottom?  Maybe since the battery has aged, it reaches it's full charge level (which is determined by when current draw while in the CV cycle) a little earlier. The regenerative charging may also have component tolerance changes over time as could the general charge circuit.  

Edited by FreeRide

Maybe with confidence and practice you have started going down the hill faster?  Maybe try going significantly slower and see whether it can handle that.  It has to work almost as hard going downhill as going uphill.  And when you say it "stops balancing" does it literally do that (so you fall off forward probably) or is it pushing you off backwards but actually staying upright itself?

• 5 months later...

This happened to me yesterday, I have rode for at least a year without any issue and it beeped and just stopped balancing throwing me forward like Superman. It hurt roadrash my face and hands and knees . Scared to trust it now which is a must to ride properly. My charge indicator lights had 1 solid and 1 flashing light, others were riding it for 30 min prior to this happening but it seemed like it went to beep and lean back to slow you down and it didn’t have juice or something, but it still had juice to get me bloody self home!

11 hours ago, Chad Hoglund said:

This happened to me yesterday, I have rode for at least a year without any issue and it beeped and just stopped balancing throwing me forward like Superman. It hurt roadrash my face and hands and knees . Scared to trust it now which is a must to ride properly. My charge indicator lights had 1 solid and 1 flashing light, others were riding it for 30 min prior to this happening but it seemed like it went to beep and lean back to slow you down and it didn’t have juice or something, but it still had juice to get me bloody self home!

Prob the voltage dropped so low it couldn’t handle it.these things do weird things when they are lowl

Yeah, I've stopped using it in sharp downhills, which makes this considerably less useful where I live. I just tied a string to it and walk it like a REALLY willful dog downhill, then ride it uphill - which to be fair would be cruel to do to a dog.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 1:08 AM, Tom Fagerland said:

Yeah, I've stopped using it in sharp downhills, which makes this considerably less useful where I live. I just tied a string to it and walk it like a REALLY willful dog downhill, then ride it uphill - which to be fair would be cruel to do to a dog.

I'm debating on whether to pick one of these up for my commute since my electric uni is difficult to bring to work due to the weight (46lbs).  By the way, that last sentence cracked me up!

Joe, added 4 July 2019. I was dropped by one of my miniPRO in exactly this way last week, and dislocated my shoulder. I think it was because I had the smaller 240Wh battery pack in it instead of the normal 310Wh I normally use. I was running some tests at lower battery powers. Battery status was 56% after it dropped me. Will update as I get a better idea of what happened.

Test from 23 May 2019:

Joe, We have hills around here with a 1:12 grade, lots of them. I have never been dropped going downhill on any of my MiniPRO, with widely varying firmware. Maybe your battery is in poor condition? Have you tried to find another nearby MiniPRO owner whom you could swap batteries with? Myself, I rarely drive immediately after charging,  Also, has your charger 59 volts output with nothing plugged in? At one time they were selling 64V chargers which give a longer range,, but shorter battery life, and might perhaps trigger an over-voltage condition downhill, although I have never seen it here.

Edited by trevmar
reporting a failure

Yeah, mine is not holding the charge it used to. That's probably the reason. Haven't fallen off it this year either. Well, except that time I got my foot stuck in the locking cable. Too bad there's no new version on the horizon - the Plus costs twice what the Pro costs here, and the Loomo is clearly a joke.

Edited by Tom Fagerland