So I've used my Mini Pro since the beginning of may with almost no problems, but in the last two weeks I've three times experienced that it makes a beep, and stops balancing when I'm going downhill. In fact, it's happened almost exactly on the same spot, at the end of a long hill. I've ridden down this hill every weekday since may.

I am now scared, and have started getting off at the middle of the hill. 

Has anyone experienced this before? What do I do? I could send it to the store and have them send it to the importer for a checkup, but we all know they're just going to look at it for 30 seconds and charge me a fee for not finding anything wrong with it. 

I'm in Norway, so we're a matter of weeks away from having to stop using the Mini Pro until april anyway, so should I just throw it away and get a new one next year? 

Edited by Tom Fagerland

6 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

So I've used my Mini Pro since the beginning of may with almost no problems, but in the last two weeks I've three times experienced that it makes a beep, and stops balancing when I'm going downhill. In fact, it's happened almost exactly on the same spot, at the end of a long hill. I've ridden down this hill every weekday since may.

Maybe the batteries got "weaker" or you had it at different charge levels?

Is the range reduced in comparison to may, too?

6 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

I'm in Norway, so we're a matter of weeks away from having to stop using the Mini Pro until april anyway, so should I just throw it away and get a new one next year? 

If its the battery then you should solve the problem now - warranty on batteries is only 6 months?

Could this be an over-charge situation?  What is your charge level at the top if the hill vs the bottom?  Maybe since the battery has aged, it reaches it's full charge level (which is determined by when current draw while in the CV cycle) a little earlier. The regenerative charging may also have component tolerance changes over time as could the general charge circuit.  

Edited by FreeRide

The range has been reduced, but not more than say 20%. 

No idea about overcharge, but I had driven UP that same hill every morning I go down it. It's quite possible that I had charged it the night before in every case, though.

Can you run, or get a friend to run, the new battery status app for Android from MRN76?

Not easily, no. I'd have to bring it to work, and carrying it on two trains kind of works against the whole "it's so much easier" thing, which is why I bought it ;)

We might have an old android device lying around at work, though. I can check around. 

Maybe with confidence and practice you have started going down the hill faster?  Maybe try going significantly slower and see whether it can handle that.  It has to work almost as hard going downhill as going uphill.  And when you say it "stops balancing" does it literally do that (so you fall off forward probably) or is it pushing you off backwards but actually staying upright itself?

I'm going REAL slow, cause it's a hell of a hill. And yes, I fall of forwards. It's real fun...

Edited by Tom Fagerland

Try really hard to get a readout of the battery cells with Alexandre's new android app. That seems to me to be the most likely problem..