New Gotway Mten3 / Onewheel Hybrid

10 minutes ago, US69 said:

No really, who needs something like that?

Marty Backe?? ☺

• Like 2

5 hours ago, US69 said:

Yip, seen that on FB, too!

Looks like they have seen a „One wheel“ ...but didnt look exactly enough how the wheel was there :-)

No really, who needs something like that?

So much "can" be done with technology. The most revolutionary tech is revolutionary precisely because it has virtually endless applications. 

Understanding societal needs helps us to use tech to solve real problems; to turn infinite possibility into useful applications.

Designing and developing useful applications of technology to solve everyday problems requires some experimentation. Frankly, It is fun to see what can be done. I am sure it is a welcome break from the daily tedium of the scientific method. 

I don't think the device in this form is going to go anywhere far, but it was probably a lot of fun to build it. 

Not sure but, It struck me as a test device to perhaps gain some insight into rider experience. Maybe GW is planning to one-up 9B on the tire width thing.

I can recall some time back making a joke about EUC manufacturers eventually borrowing wheels from aircraft landing gear to one-up the competition in the impending tire width wars; looks like the time may be nigh.

I hope Kingsong plays Switzerland on this one. On the other hand, a wider wheel means a more shallow learning curve. Shorter learning times with less falling may bear the potential to attract new riders faster. 

Although I have no doubt that I will always be a 18" X  2.5" wheel puritan, Like it or not, "ruedas muy gordas" may be the new "thing."

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, Marty Backe said:

Common Ulf, loosen up a bit and have fun with the variety of wheels :D I'd need to see a bit more, but this wheel looks fun. Who needs any EUC?

Variety is the spice of life.

Hey, i love Variety....but have you ever driven a Self balancer with such a fat Wheel?

I have tried one of those that have ONE fat Wheel plus steering rod like a Segway.

This is just totally ridiculous drive behaviour and makes absolutly no fun. The original "One Wheel" skateboard style is nice(like Duf has)...and makes totally sense.

But not something where youre feed are on the left/Right on such a massive Wheel.

Try one and experience it yourself ;-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, US69 said:

This is just totally ridiculous drive behaviour and makes absolutly no fun. 

It sort of looks like it would be fun to try as long as your expectations are low  and you live in the moment for a few minutes. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, US69 said:

Hey, i love Variety....but have you ever driven a Self balancer with such a fat Wheel?

Yeah, IPS made something with a fat wheel that is similiar and the only EUC that will remain upright while powered on unattended, it's called the "Kahuna". ( I have one.) Don't ride it much because it's under powered with a small battery and 10-12 mph top speed,but it does have it's charms.It will traverse terrain that no other wheel can handle such as soft sand or gravel and the tire is non pneumatic so you can forget about flats.If Gotway made something like it with a real battery and ACM power,I would snap it up instantly!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, US69 said:

I have tried one of those that have ONE fat Wheel plus steering rod like a Segway.

This is just totally ridiculous drive behaviour and makes absolutly no fun. The original "One Wheel" skateboard style is nice(like Duf has)...and makes totally sense.

But not something where youre feed are on the left/Right on such a massive Wheel.

Try one and experience it yourself ;-)

The guy that was riding it in the video didn't seem to be having a horrible experience.

After reading what @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" just wrote, maybe this could be my next Gotway wheel.

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The guy that was riding it in the video didn't seem to be having a horrible experience.

After reading what @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" just wrote, maybe this could be my next Gotway wheel.

Come On, does it look like he is having much fun? He made a Speed of max 12-15kmh, it Looks like even a small curve leads to direct pedal scraping on that tire.

The Kahuna, that Jrkline had, when you look for Picture of it, has more a 1/2 wide tire than this Thing. Not that wide….

And i still stand for it ...riding such a fat wire over the smallest obstacle/Stone/roadbend will be horrendous...

I have testridden that Thing here:

https://hoverboardandparts.com/product/new-aluminum-alloy-hand-one-wheel-hoverboard-for-sale-at-cheap-price/?portfolioCats=84

And -in my view- it is the worst experience you can have :-)

But Keep on...buy one, will be interesting to see your extendend video review... ….in your backyard ;-) As thats the only place where this can go :D

Edited by US69

24 minutes ago, US69 said:

[...] And i still stand for it ...riding such a fat wire over the smallest obstacle/Stone/roadbend will be horrendous...

I have testridden that Thing here:

https://hoverboardandparts.com/product/new-aluminum-alloy-hand-one-wheel-hoverboard-for-sale-at-cheap-price/?portfolioCats=84

And -in my view- it is the worst experience you can have :-)

[...] 

I totally agree with US69, even though I couldn't make my own practical experience with that "toy" so far.

BTW, there's a own Thread within "reviews" for that kind of vehicle:

Cheers, Borg. 

You guys are missing the big elephant(s) in the room IMHO.

It’s not about THis potential product, but what it’s implications are for other future innovation and development:

1. For Ninebot Z fans, the fact that Gotway is playing around with similarly fat tires has to be super appealing. Imagine a Z with Gotway performance!

2. Gotway has potentially figured out the engineering of Future Motion’s OneWheel product, something that has been prohibitive for potential OneWheel imitators.

I’m thinking possible ground-up BLDC motor re-designs, as I’ve been told that the motors utilized by current EUC tech haven’t been fully maximized in engineering for efficiency, optimal space utilization.

... or even a more performance OneWheel; I know I’ve personally been waiting for FM to increase their speed + range on the OW...

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I don't know what he's saying and I'm not getting any YouTube options for auto-translate. But this video look at the wheels seems better than that other one we say a while back.

It actually looks like a fun, rideable wheel. Of course the price is probably going to be $1500 given today's trends.

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know what he's saying and I'm not getting any YouTube options for auto-translate. But this video look at the wheels seems better than that other one we say a while back.

It actually looks like a fun, rideable wheel. Of course the price is probably going to be $1500 given today's trends.

i want one :ph34r:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

i want one :ph34r:

BTW, does this prove that Gotway has the capability of doing a battery in the motor design like the Z10? I recall some commentary that a Z10 inspired wheel from Gotway would be unlikely since they don't have the necessary motor designs chops.

Or do you thing the control board and batteries are in the pedals?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, does this prove that Gotway has the capability of doing a battery in the motor design like the Z10? I recall some commentary that a Z10 inspired wheel from Gotway would be unlikely since they don't have the necessary motor designs chops.

Or do you thing the control board and batteries are in the pedals?

Pretty sure the board and batteries are under the pedals, but who knows.

FWIW, we haven't seen a battery/board in-the-motor design EUC yet I don't think, even with the Z or OneWheel (maybe the Uno Bolt?), but more knowledgeable riders than I have said it's theoretically possible.

The thing with the Z motor was that Ninebot/Segway clearly spent money to build their own custom motor, building it offset, so you could do a weight-balanced battery on one side, board/motor on the other (plus, the motor being edge-to-edge, no spokes, gives another indication of being a ground-up design, made just for the Z).

I believe King Song and Gotway still outsource from 3rd party motor manufacturers, ie. choose common motor shell sizing, available to all different EUC and e-bike/moped client companies alike, as mass-producing common part sizes reduces manufacturing cost.

From there, I guess they can customize stuff like motor winding, add spokes to increase rim size (notice that all 18" & 22" EUCs are basically 16" size motors, scaled up by spokes; not edge-to-edge (max torque), ground-up designs like the Z custom motor), then go in-house and tune their control boards to customize performance.

For this oddball Gotway OneWheel-ish clone, the motor is most likely a borrowed, re-engineered e-kick scooter motor, similar to the MTen3.

It's scary to think what Gotway could achieve if they grew to a size where they could bankroll their own custom motor production.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1