Indestructible V8: Hit by a Car Today

existensil

On 11/3/2018 at 5:44 PM, LanghamP said:

--the car hit the man.

All the above are the same yet one sounds about right while the others sound perverse.

It should be, "the driver hit the EUC rider" because it is indeed the driver and not the car that is doing the damage.

So the driver got out of his car and hit him?  Sounds like he got into a fight with the driver the way you wrote it..  In any case, pedantics mate, i think we all understood the comment and no one is giving the driver free reign here.  

1 hour ago, existensil said:

There is more damage to the inner plastics and such than expected. Going to have the driver pay me what I paid for the V8 and put it towards an upgrade. I'm starting to feel a lot less sure about being able to repair this unit.

Maybe I'll take a stab at a repair at some point and keep it around for doing stunts with. Might be nice to have a backup that I really don't care what happens to.

Mate, in accidents the replacement value is the replacement value.  Not what you paid for it.  Dont short change yourself because of an accident, his insurance is the one who will pay not him so no need to give him an easy go of it.  Get a quote for a brand new replacement v8 from eWheels or similar, including shipping, and present it along with a quote for all the safety gear you were wearing and now needs to be replaced to the insurance company, if they argue about condition ask them to provide information showing the condition of your wheel before the accident.  

EDIT. Happened to me with a pair of Sunglasses.  Some fat bloke knocked them off the table and broke the lenses.  I originally got them on Sale in Duty-Free for cheap as chips, but to get replaced had to be the normal price at a regular store.  Cost 2.5x what i paid to replace, the insurance company didn't even ask and paid out the $1k into my account.  I waited until i went through duty-free again and bought another pair of glasses for half that :) 

1 hour ago, existensil said:

There is more damage to the inner plastics and such than expected. Going to have the driver pay me what I paid for the V8 and put it towards an upgrade. I'm starting to feel a lot less sure about being able to repair this unit.

Maybe I'll take a stab at a repair at some point and keep it around for doing stunts with. Might be nice to have a backup that I really don't care what happens to.

Sounds like the title should be changed to 'Totaled V8' ;).  Glad you're OK. 

2 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

So the driver got out of his car and hit him?  Sounds like he got into a fight with the driver the way you wrote it..  In any case, pedantics mate, i think we all understood the comment and no one is giving the driver free reign here.  

Is this really the case? If the original poster was killed by the driver, then would the driver get a ticket?

In most cases, no.

http://m.startribune.com/in-crashes-that-kill-pedestrians-the-majority-of-drivers-don-t-face-charges/380345481/

In St Louis, within a year on a street I went across nearly every day, two pedestrians were killed while crossing in a crosswalk while having the pedestrian light. In both cases the drivers were not given traffic tickets much less jail time.

This is the US. Keeping walkers off the streets is a feature not a bug.

48 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Whaaaatever bro

Gerald began—but was interrupted by a piercing whistle which cost him ten percent of his hearing permanently, as it did everyone else in a ten-mile radius of the eruption, not that it mattered much because for them “permanently” meant the next ten minutes or so until buried by searing lava or suffocated by choking ash—to pee.

@Alex_from_NZ I went ahead and ordered another V8. It's a solid wheel and I'll have a bunch of spare parts for it. Was already planning on having the guy pay for new helmet. With the total bill growing he is considering having me go through insurance instead. Doesn't really matter to me. If I do have to deal with insurance I will have them replace some additional safety gear that was damaged but more re-usable than the helmet. I'm just buying replacements now so I don't have to wait and will demand reimbursement.

I'm still going to get that MSuper X when my preorder is called up by ewheels :-)

7 hours ago, existensil said:

@Alex_from_NZ I went ahead and ordered another V8. It's a solid wheel and I'll have a bunch of spare parts for it. Was already planning on having the guy pay for new helmet. With the total bill growing he is considering having me go through insurance instead. Doesn't really matter to me. If I do have to deal with insurance I will have them replace some additional safety gear that was damaged but more re-usable than the helmet. I'm just buying replacements now so I don't have to wait and will demand reimbursement.

I'm still going to get that MSuper X when my preorder is called up by ewheels :-)

Glad to hear it mate! ??

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

In St Louis, within a year on a street I went across nearly every day, two pedestrians were killed while crossing in a crosswalk while having the pedestrian light. In both cases the drivers were not given traffic tickets much less jail time.

I have been hit twice by red light right turning drivers while walking in the crosswalk with the blue man. No injuries just a little hood surfing. This is why I am a proud J walker when I am downtown. At least I know where the cars are coming from and can avoid them. Cross walks are very dangerous! 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:36 AM, RockyTop said:

I have been hit twice by red light right turning drivers while walking in the crosswalk with the blue man. No injuries just a little hood surfing. This is why I am a proud J walker when I am downtown. At least I know where the cars are coming from and can avoid them. Cross walks are very dangerous! 

In New Zealand we don't have the "right on red" rule (though here it would have been a "left on red" rule)... Which used to annoy me as a driver, but I am quite happy about it now as a rider!

"Right on Red" is a terrible rule for pedestrian safety. It requires drivers to look left (and often incentivises them to rapidly accelerate to pull out in to a gap), while a pedestrian is on their right.

The reason it's not received more attention is the fatality rate is fairly low. The injury rate is another matter though. This is presumably due to most of the collisions occurring at relatively low speeds.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/15/its-time-for-cities-to-rethink-right-turns-on-red/

"Permitting rights on red increases pedestrian crashes by 60 percent and bike crashes by 100 percent, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found in the 1980s."

"A 1995 NHTSA report [PDF] found that the number of right-on-red fatalities was relatively small — about 84 a year — but that 44 percent of the victims were pedestrians, and another 10 percent were bicyclists."

"Injury figures were much higher. For instance, in right-on-red crashes in Indiana, Maryland, and Missouri between 1989 and 1992, injuries occurred at 100 times the rate of fatalities."

I have to ride in the road at night a lot of times because the buses don't run.... The majority of the time it is against the traffic I'm traveling...if I was not looking or traveling with the traffic I would have been hit several times, luckily I see the cars coming and not reacting to me there in a road, so flashing a light and yelling, getting their attention...

Archived