Flexmeter alternatives

41 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Oh you got a spare Z10? Or as at least 2 since it implies there is a second. 

I didn't think you could fall due to how you look riding in your vids. Somehow you look like a cat stepped of the EUC and almost always landing on your feet.

:laughbounce2:

"My" first Z10 was the pre-production unit that I had for a few weeks and put 350-miles on it, doing range and mountain tests. The one time that I fell off the Z10 was when I was testing its climbing ability and it stopped balancing on me and then proceeded to roll and jump a few hundred feet down the mountain. The trolley handle was the only part damaged, but when I removed it I was able to bend the mounting flange flat, making the handle work again.

• 7 months later...

Doc Meter (SkiMeter) sold the patent to Demon in 2013

Also interesting that they sold a patent for a helmet with air cushion to Salomon exclusive

article in French here:

https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2013/03/20/docmeter-cede-ses-protections-pour-poignets

I dont fin any Large for now but it seems in a few week stock will be back

The 2010 Catalogue is impressive...Fullface Air System Helmet.. wow i would have buy this helmet .. and back armor!!!

doc meter 2010 catalog

added reference :

White Paper: functionality and efficacy of wrist protectors in snowboarding—towards a harmonized international standard
Effect of surrogate design on the measured stiffness of snowboarding wrist protectors

Edited by Lavabo
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
On 11/9/2018 at 2:42 AM, Marty Backe said:

The Triple-8's are my most often worn pair for when riding around town.

I need to thank you Marty  😁

My poor wrist guards are tearing apart, and are causing issues since new.

It's because I'm always wearing leather gloves to give me an extra bit of fingers protection, and the wrist guards going over the gloves, which is not easy to deal with, as all of those elements are kind of tight fit, furthermore there's is the jacket sleeve to be covered by the end of the wrist guards too, so the velcro stripes are just at their ends to secure the fit...

I was fancy Flexmeter wrist guards, but the price is the killer, I know they're very well made though.

But I'm looking for some all weather gloves too, preferably Gore, slim fit , water/wind proof.

So Flexmeter's price + Gore gloves = I'd have to robe a bank 😂🤣😂

Then I started following this topic,and I've found you've mentioned Triple 8 😎

I've checked the price, I went through the youtube review to find they're fully opening to be wrapped around the wrist 😁

No problem then, to wrap them over my gloves and the jacket's sleeve 😁😁😁

And yet the price!,it's so low compared to Flexmeter, which will allow me to get my favourite all weather gloves (I haven't found the ones I like yet).

I have already placed the order for Triple 8.

Thank you for great suggestion 😎

On 11/2/2018 at 5:31 PM, Marty Backe said:

I don't understand why you say that the D30 doesn't help. The Flexmeters have the U-shaped plastic slide plates.

Also, why exactly does a fall from an EUC not result in possible broken wrists? I'm curious.

There are some people here that broke their wrists (scaphoid?) in low speed EUC falls. If the only wrist protection you have is a slider that avoids your wrist getting snagged on the pavement, it won't help a bit if you're not going fast enough to slide.

That's the issue with using motorcycle gloves as wrist protection. They won't help if you fall at slow speed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, 2 Drinks Behind said:

I wear the Triple 8 Hired Hands and really like them.  They don't have full finger coverage, but more than the Wrist Savers.  I have fallen once on them when I was starting out and they seemed to protect well, but not at high speed.

Yeah, I have those in my amazon cart right now but after reading about dudes fingernail mishap (ouch) I want full fulinger

2 hours ago, General Principle said:

Flexmeter’s play nice with gloves? 

Not really, in my experience.  You find a pair that will fit over them, but i've found it hard, but i have one pair that works for me, but they are more for fall or winter when the weather is cooler. 

Just received my Flexmeter Double sided protection (large are back in stock on Demon store) and wow those are bomb proof

About fingers, i broke my thumb  with my gotway cutoff .. it seems it could be broken again unless you fall on the palm padding ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lavabo said:

Just received my Flexmeter Double sided protection (large are back in stock on Demon store) and wow those are bomb proof

About fingers, i broke my thumb  with my gotway cutoff .. it seems it could be broken again unless you fall on the palm padding ...

Is there really any device that can protect the fingers? The wrist guards are designed to protect the wrist and by extension, some of the palm. But fingers are always at risk.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Is there really any device that can protect the fingers? The wrist guards are designed to protect the wrist and by extension, some of the palm. But fingers are always at risk.

Something like this should work. Call my office on Monday for an appointment. :)

48648705772_345d9c9766_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 10:46 AM, Marty Backe said:

It's all theory then.

Although I use the Triple-8's and Flexmeters, I love the comfort of the Flexmeters and sense of superior safety. Someone on the forum (can't remember who) did have a severe crash while wearing the Flexmeters and said they worked great.

Since I started wearing wrist guards religiously, well over a year ago, I have not had a fall to test their effectiveness. I'm in no hurry to do so - they are insurance that I hope to never use.

FWIW, I've been in high speed motorcycle crashes, my fastest one being 90+ mph. Never used 'wrist guards' with fancy D30 - just full gauntlet gloves. I've never even gotten a wrist sprain. 

Motorcycle falls/crashes are at higher speeds, and from a higher height (seat + highside crashes). Yet, there is no need for 'wrist guards'. 

I believe wrist guards are a marketing fad. D30 being the best example of that. 

I find them particularly flawed in whole hand protection. All the crashes I see with wrist guards - the uncovered portions of the hand are abraded and bleeding. And you have so little selection with terrible fit options - unlike the literal dozens of motorcycle glove manufacturer's, each having dozens of different lines of gloves.

You might argue for comfort, but IMHO, a properly sized perforated full gauntlet leather glove is more comfortable, with better dexterity (pre-curved construction goes a long way) and next level protection than the amateurish looking wrist guards. And touchscreen compatibility is pretty standard on modern gloves.

My summer pair of gloves at the moment, are the alpinestars SMX air. They're short-cuff, thus I'm choosing to forego the gauntlet reinforcement of the wrists. They are quite the step up from any wrist guards I've tried - but, getting the fit is important.

For a recent example of a crash, look at @BleepBloopBlop. He overleaned at 30+ mph with absolutely no protection, wearing nothing but a helmet, swim trunks and flipflops. No wrists were broken nor were they even close to being sprained - just heavy abrasion on palm + cuts on fingers. Those coincide exactly with the reinforced areas of a motorcycle glove.

@Benphysicscan weigh in with his numerous crashes during his racing career.

Edited by chrisjunlee

These are just out... Made by an EUC rider, for EUC riders...

I am looking to get a pair - will comment back once I do...

https://www.gyroriderz.com/products/gants-gyroriderz-avec-protege-poignets-integree 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

My summer pair of gloves at the moment, are the alpinestars SMX air. They're short-cuff, thus I'm choosing to forego the gauntlet reinforcement of the wrists. They are quite the step up from any wrist guards I've tried - but, getting the fit is important.

My son and I also wear these gloves over our Triple Eight Wrist Guards. They fit perfect cause of the short-cuff. We only wear them when we do rides on hard surfaces and speeds reaching 15mph +. If we are only doing dirt trails there are no need for these gloves cause of the slower speeds. The gloves and wrist guards fit perfect. 

We always like to wear our insurance policies:

Full Face Helmet

Body Armour

Wrist Guards

Elbow Guards

Knee Guards

Padded under Shorts (plastic and Foam)

Sometimes gloves with wrist guards depending on the ride 

You just never know when that day will come. I'll rather be ready/safe than sorry!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

I find them particularly flawed in whole hand protection. All the crashes I see with wrist guards - the uncovered portions of the hand are abraded and bleeding. And you have so little selection with terrible fit options - unlike the literal dozens of motorcycle glove manufacturer's, each having dozens of different lines of gloves.

Believe what you like, and keep telling yourself that what happens on a motorcycle is similar to an EUC. 

I am sure this makes no difference to you, but I have had accidents on my EUC that I am very glad I had both my flexmeter dual sided wrist guards on and my d#o padding too. The flexmeter show the scars and I have a next set ready once my first set is so torn that they don't hold up anymore. 

As for D3O, if I had not worn my protection on my shoulder, my shoulder would not only have dislocated, but had been shattered. I have the x-ray to show soI am not talking belief here, this is actual incident(s) on my body. 

20190329_221157.thumb.jpg.606f855c69eee211bec09237c7204a1b.jpg20190330_123127.thumb.jpg.1b1f682caf86e9a39e3142d7681238d5.jpg  

The hospital staff at E&A told me that the force to make a dislocation like this had been huge, even 6 people couldn't pull it back into place, 2 sat on me, 2 hanged in my arm, 2 pushing at the joint. Another thing the told me is that if I had not worn my protection I were unlikely to ever been able to use my shoulder anywhere normal again. 

Now 5 months+ after I still have pains if I am to tug in my shirt in my pant on the back with the arm. or scratching  my upper back over the other shoulder. but I can lift things, and movement is restored to about 90% I would say. last bit takes more time, but it seems to fast with recovery as times goes.

For the records this was about 20-25 kmh crash where my clipped a high curb with pedal to avoid a longboard skateboard rider taking my lane side all of a sudden. The force and momentum of the curb hit, was way beyond what I and most  are able control, and despite my best effort, it happened to fast that I were unable to prepare or tumble out of it. 

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm fascinated by the various anti-gear opinions out there.

Fascination is not the word that spring to mind at my end. I do think there are a lot of cartoon readers that got too inspired of being super humans.We see post of accidents and people then followed by people venting their belief they can go out unscaved or less injured because they don't believe in protective gear. 

I am not telling you most use protective gear, I am saying the level of stupidity not wearing protective gear ad advocate high speed EUC riding will leave a mark on you that you can debate afterwards about your beliefs. It is likely to change once you find the crash dynamics of a EUC unpredictable faceplant. 

Note: @Marty Backe I know you know what I mean, and above is not directed at you.  BTW how are your arm/shoulder doing these days?

• Like 3

Just now, The Fat Unicyclist said:

This is the only thing I wear while riding (around the hospital)!!! :D

no pants ? man you are a free spirit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

no pants ? man you are a free spirit

Pants are for pussies!!! 

However I do have a crocheted g-string (that Mrs. TFU made for me) to ensures that "essential" protection... 

Should we put them up on our website for the benefit of everyone???

4 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Pants are for pussies!!! 

However I do have a crocheted g-string (that Mrs. TFU made for me) to ensures that "essential" protection... 

Should we put them up on our website for the benefit of everyone???

hmmm like this? (readers warning, click on this you will not forget it...any time soon...this is like a red button-"don't push this")

https://www.dorita.se/rudolf-mankini-460813?utm_source=Kelko_Annonse&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Kelkoo&utm_content=Kelkoo

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am sure that give a little thought and time @Rehab1's ECIB (EUC contraption and inventions bureau)  will come up with some awesome designs.:smartass:

Sorry but that department is temporarily closed due to lack of staffing but may reopen in the future when rehab1’s clone becomes fully operational. 

51 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry but that department is temporarily closed due to lack of staffing but may reopen in the future when rehab1’s clone becomes fully operational. 

I think he need to get back in office instead enjoying vacation in New Zealand 😉

This time of the year, back to work 🤪🥳

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

Believe what you like, and keep telling yourself that what happens on a motorcycle is similar to an EUC. 

If that’s he root of out disagreement, then there’s not much we can constructively discuss. Kinematic is kinematics. The laws of physics don’t change.

The irony being you’re wearing motorcycle jackets, knee guards, etc, yet insist that EUCS accidents are some magic unicorn requiring stronger gear 🦄

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I can't condone your non-wristguard advocacy, but whatever works for you is great.

I’m advocating for proper protection. Full gauntlet gloves are a step above “wrist guards”. 

I don’t get stuck in the naming and marketing. “Wrist guards with flexometer D30!” just raises my eyebrow.

And to be clear, I do see some value in these janky “wrist guards” : 80% in palm abrasion sliders, 20% in wrist impact reduction. I wear them for casual riding. If I’m planning on test crashing at high speed - full gauntlet gloves, no question.

== Edit ==

For those actually looking for better gear, consider this is what motorcyclists deal with: 

Unlike a EUC where you literally fall from standing height, in a motorcycle high side crash, you get abruptly slingshotted up in the air, and you commonly land on an outstretched arm, aka your wrist taking the impact. As you can see, the crash forces and angles are a next level superset than whatever we encounter on an EUC.

Wrists are important for a motorcycle racer - millions of dollars in prize money is at stake in their ability to fine tune control throttle, brake, etc, all through their hands.

What do they use for protection? Full gauntlet gloves. (aka, full coverage gloves that reinforce the wrist).

Don't you dare dismiss them if you haven't even tried them on. It truly is next level protection, and you'll see why 'wrist guards' are a child's marketing ploy at best.

I don't know why people like @Unventor believe EUC's are sooo special, that motorcycle gloves just can't protect us.

Edited by chrisjunlee