Confirmed, KS-18XL larger pedal not included, an 80 euro/91$ extra!!??? Solved:)

Espen R

The way I would look at the added pedal cost is this: The small pedals might very well cause enough discomfort for you to have to buy new shoes for riding. And just like that the added price no longer feels so high.

Especially since you were considering the MSX... Things I had to do to my MSX to make it comfortable enough: New sidepads with risers, pedal angle modification, pedal extensions, front light wider beam mod, properly attaching and soldering the large capacitors, mainboard fan noise insulation, drilled and installed a 35€ mud flap. The material costs alone come quite close to 80€.

I’m absolutely positive that disregarding only the bigger tire, the 18XL (or LX?) is so much better in so many regards. Had it been available 4 months ago, I’d have 4000km on one already!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

The way I would look at the added pedal cost is this: The small pedals might very well cause enough discomfort for you to have to buy new shoes for riding. And just like that the added price no longer feels so high.

Especially since you were considering the MSX... Things I had to do to my MSX to make it comfortable enough: New sidepads with risers, pedal angle modification, pedal extensions, front light wider beam mod, properly attaching and soldering the large capacitors, mainboard fan noise insulation, drilled and installed a 35€ mud flap. The material costs alone come quite close to 80€.

I’m absolutely positive that disregarding only the bigger tire, the 18XL (or LX?) is so much better in so many regards. Had it been available 4 months ago, I’d have 4000km on one already!

It was just that I found the amount unreasonable high for an upgrade, but it's solved now, the XL with the larger pedals is coming:) Winter is also coming, and I'm searching for a stud/snow chain solution. Do you ride during the winter in Finland? 

1 hour ago, Espen R said:

Winter is also coming, and I'm searching for a stud/snow chain solution. Do you ride during the winter in Finland? 

Generally I don’t ride when the ground is slippery. But I’m looking for a new tire for my MSX with better grip in wet and offroad conditions for all seasons.

There are numerous options in moped/scooter tires, studded, snow, and regular, but they are generally a hair too wide to fit even the MSX, let alone 18L. Taobao seems to be the only option for me. Studded or even knobbed bicycle tires I found are on the other hand less than 2” wide, but I didn’t save any links. 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Generally I don’t ride when the ground is slippery. But I’m looking for a new tire for my MSX with better grip in wet and offroad conditions for all seasons.

There are numerous options in moped/scooter tires, studded, snow, and regular, but they are generally a hair too wide to fit even the MSX, let alone 18L. Taobao seems to be the only option for me. Studded or even knobbed bicycle tires I found are on the other hand less than 2” wide, but I didn’t save any links. 

I've been looking at different types of studs to put on the original tire, but that won't do in snow, so then I'm left with two options: 1: Snow chains on the original tire. 2: A new offroad/snow tire which I can put studs in. I found these, who can make a custom snow chain: https://www.slipnottraction.com/, but I'll try a diy chain first, because I'm unsure if it will clear the housing. Option 2 is this: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/18_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(black)-c__313, not sure this will fit the wider MSX tire though. 

I was born in Tromsø with a lot of Sami blood running through my veins, might be some Finnish blood there as well, but I still can't stand the winter. Last winter I spent a lot of time riding my Onewheel+ in our 1 car garage, but this winter I'm determined to find a winter solution for the XL. 

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

How’s the ride comparing to MSX? Larger pedal make a noticeable difference?

Totally different feel than the MSX.

The MSX is, regardless the ride mode, much stiffer throughout 0 to max, with the body feeling more squat & low, what with the high pedals, but low shell / side pad height combination.

The KS18L/KS18XL has a more spongy/rubbery feel to the pedals, where it takes a bit less pressure to accelerate once you reach the upper speeds, and overall feels more balanced, as the shell / side pad height comes up higher, compensating for the high pedal height. 

The larger pedals definitely make a difference I think.

I got quite used to the old pedals, tending to straddle the front & back edges with my leaning heels & toes, but on occasional long rides, I would every-now-and-then feel foot pain. 

With the new pedals, it'll take some getting used to as well, but having that extra surface area to play with gives you more leveraging surface, as well as more room for error on the occasional bump that launches you off-then-back-on to the pedals.

Archived