To buy a EUC or a different type of E-Vehicle

Brandon Cohen

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

You are placing the wheel firmly against two steps, then tilting the wheel forward so it climbs by itself to the next step? And so on?

This sounds like it would be slow if you are resting the tire against each step before using the motor to climb.  This is what i must also do with the Mini Pro as going at any speed will bounce the unit.  In the end, its faster to pick it up and im always rushing so...

The guy in the video can do it because he is riding the unit, and has much more control of the bounce with his body weight and leg power.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, LanghamP said:

Most places that you work require "handicap accessible", that is, all the areas can be rolled to in a wheelchair or an EUC.

In fact, you can get a prescription from a doctor for a personal assistive electric device, and register your EUC as a PED, and hence get access everywhere. Someone tells you that riding an EUC isn't allowed, you just whip out your doctor's prescription.

Like I've said before, go big or go small. Get a tiny 14 incher or get an 18 incher. Personally, I'd recommend a new rider just get an 18 incher, never a 16, and maybe later get a 14 incher, but an 18 incher just does so much more than the smaller wheels for not much more weight. Most of the 18 inchers have trolleys anyway, and realistically you're only going to lift them from ground to car. 

As I checked out the ADA website I came to the same conclusion you did.  While cities, townships, states or private entities can restrict recreational use of EUCs, if you have a legitimate medical reason to use a mobility device, they have to apply the same rules to EUC usage as they do to electric wheelchairs.  Which by the ADA law must be as accommodating as possible. But you aren't required to carry documentation of your disability with you, and they are prohibited from asking you details about your infirmity.  Which makes a loophole big enough to drive a Gotway Monster (or a Dualtron) through...  and if they still refuse, opens them up to the same kind of clss action lawsuits that got us ramps on sidewalks and building entries, and handicap parking.

3 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

As I checked out the ADA website I came to the same conclusion you did.  While cities, townships, states or private entities can restrict recreational use of EUCs, if you have a legitimate medical reason to use a mobility device, they have to apply the same rules to EUC usage as they do to electric wheelchairs.  Which by the ADA law must be as accommodating as possible. But you aren't required to carry documentation of your disability with you, and they are prohibited from asking you details about your infirmity.  Which makes a loophole big enough to drive a Gotway Monster (or a Dualtron) through...  and if they still refuse, opens them up to the same kind of clss action lawsuits that got us ramps on sidewalks and building entries, and handicap parking.

Federal and state parks love to exclude Segways, but all park rules that I've looked at provide for ADA exceptions. Just for that alone I'd recommend getting a disabled note.

I don't have one personally; the next time I see a doctor I'll moan about my Achilles tendon so it has halfway legitimacy.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a KS14D from @RayRay and after about a day or so I started getting the hang of it. Would ride it as far as I could each day going to work and walk it the rest. After about 2 weeks I can ride it to and from work every day!

I'm still really wobbly and the people on the sidewalks NEVER LOOK UP. So that's annoying, but I'm getting better at going slow and getting around those people. 
I wear a dirt-bikeish helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist guards. 
I have NEVER fallen down so far. If I'm losing my balance I just step off the EUC. I've hit my shins a few times and got a few cuts somehow - but otherwise, I'm loving it!

For anyone new looking - man, these things aren't for everyone. I have to stop at basically every crosswalk because of lights. Stopping and starting have proven to be pretty annoying. Stopping and starting on a scooter is so much faster at least right now in comparison. I definitely lose a lot of time from that on my EUC. ANYWAY, I LOVE my EUC and I'm really happy I bought it. Thank you all for the suggestions. Now for the next question - Which EUC should I get next? :)

25 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

I have to stop at basically every crosswalk because of lights. Stopping and starting have proven to be pretty annoying. Stopping and starting on a scooter is so much faster at least right now in comparison. I definitely lose a lot of time from that on my EUC.

Instead of stepping off, find the nearest pole or free wall and stay on the wheel while loosely holding on to that. You lose the step-on learning, but it's more convenient.

26 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

ANYWAY, I LOVE my EUC and I'm really happy I bought it. Thank you all for the suggestions. Now for the next question - Which EUC should I get next? :)

Depends on what you'd use it for or what you want in it. Only your wallet or wife can stop you now:efee8319ab:

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Instead of stepping off, find the nearest pole or free wall and stay on the wheel while loosely holding on to that. You lose the step-on learning, but it's more convenient.

This is what I usually do too...

Stepping on takes a lot of practice, but even though I can do it (usually), the 'lazy' method of hanging onto the crosswalk signal is my 'go-to' move.

If you are beginning to master mounting your wheel (due to all the practice you're getting) then you're probably a better rider than me already...

Also, smaller wheels tend to be more 'wiggly/wobbly', (but you get used to it).

3 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

I bought a KS14D from @RayRay and after about a day or so I started getting the hang of it. Would ride it as far as I could each day going to work and walk it the rest. After about 2 weeks I can ride it to and from work every day!

I'm still really wobbly and the people on the sidewalks NEVER LOOK UP. So that's annoying, but I'm getting better at going slow and getting around those people. 
I wear a dirt-bikeish helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist guards. 
I have NEVER fallen down so far. If I'm losing my balance I just step off the EUC. I've hit my shins a few times and got a few cuts somehow - but otherwise, I'm loving it!

For anyone new looking - man, these things aren't for everyone. I have to stop at basically every crosswalk because of lights. Stopping and starting have proven to be pretty annoying. Stopping and starting on a scooter is so much faster at least right now in comparison. I definitely lose a lot of time from that on my EUC. ANYWAY, I LOVE my EUC and I'm really happy I bought it. Thank you all for the suggestions. Now for the next question - Which EUC should I get next? :)

Good to see you pick it up so quickly.  Now it is all about learning all the other skills.  Stepping on and off is one of them.  That requires learning to stick it to your leg.  With the shorter body of the 14D, it is a little more taxing on your shin/leg.  My suggestion is to practice the one legged hop.  Imagine the wheel as a skateboard and doing the same motion of the push off for a skateboard.  But what you need to do is to try and do it one legged progressively longer.  This will allow you to stop and start effortlessly when you get the hang of it.  The more you do it the more sore you will be.  But with the amount of riding you do, shouldn't be all that long.  Next skill would be to try to ride as slow as you can since you mention you are riding around people.  When going slow it is about twisting not leaning.  It is much easier to do on smaller wheels like the 14D or the Mten3.  

Next wheel depends on what you are going to do and your budget.  I would suggest something with a seat, i.e. MSX or 18S.  18S would be cheaper and more comfortable seated riding.  Also the cost would be cheaper since there is a 840wh version and a 1680wh version.  but the upgrade path isn't exactly throwing in a new battery.  i learned the hard way.  but the lower 840wh is twice what you have today.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's a solid suggestion that I may just do. 

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

Stepping on takes a lot of practice, but even though I can do it (usually), the 'lazy' method of hanging onto the crosswalk signal is my 'go-to' move.

I'm actually getting pretty good at stepping on and off, but man do I get irritated when I can't get my left foot placement right. :furious:

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Good to see you pick it up so quickly.  Now it is all about learning all the other skills.  Stepping on and off is one of them.  That requires learning to stick it to your leg.  With the shorter body of the 14D, it is a little more taxing on your shin/leg.  My suggestion is to practice the one legged hop.  Imagine the wheel as a skateboard and doing the same motion of the push off for a skateboard.  But what you need to do is to try and do it one legged progressively longer.  This will allow you to stop and start effortlessly when you get the hang of it.  The more you do it the more sore you will be.  But with the amount of riding you do, shouldn't be all that long.  Next skill would be to try to ride as slow as you can since you mention you are riding around people.  When going slow it is about twisting not leaning.  It is much easier to do on smaller wheels like the 14D or the Mten3.  

Next wheel depends on what you are going to do and your budget.  I would suggest something with a seat, i.e. MSX or 18S.  18S would be cheaper and more comfortable seated riding.  Also the cost would be cheaper since there is a 840wh version and a 1680wh version.  but the upgrade path isn't exactly throwing in a new battery.  i learned the hard way.  but the lower 840wh is twice what you have today.

Stepping off I have down. I just slow down and take a foot off, it's not much of an issue most of the time. Stepping on as I said above can get a bit frustrating when my left foot doesn't land on the peg properly. Going slow is pretty tough, but I'll keep practicing that specifically. 

I'm not looking to get a new one right now, maybe in a few months - but I am already hitting the upper limits of this thing and being yelled at to slow down. I knew going into this that I'd hear it eventually - but I thought it'd take me much longer to get to those speeds. Something with a seat really sounds nice. 

4 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

That's a solid suggestion that I may just do. 

I'm actually getting pretty good at stepping on and off, but man do I get irritated when I can't get my left foot placement right. :furious:

Stepping off I have down. I just slow down and take a foot off, it's not much of an issue most of the time. Stepping on as I said above can get a bit frustrating when my left foot doesn't land on the peg properly. Going slow is pretty tough, but I'll keep practicing that specifically. 

I'm not looking to get a new one right now, maybe in a few months - but I am already hitting the upper limits of this thing and being yelled at to slow down. I knew going into this that I'd hear it eventually - but I thought it'd take me much longer to get to those speeds. Something with a seat really sounds nice. 

Yeh, pretty easy to hit 30kmph limit.  Again, for the getting on, just practice the hopping.  Don't have to put your foot on, just hop and keep your left foot in the air and back down on the ground.  This will build your one legged skill enough to do this effortlessly.  Once you can do it for 1-2 seconds, then you are good to go.  

Seated is another skill you need to learn.  Just about everything is a skill.  

With going slow, you are probably trying to rock/lean it left and right between your legs.  This won't work,  you need to twist to "catch" yourself from falling.  requires a little practice.  I made a video about this.  

Hope it resonates with you.  

5 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

If you mean the beeps are telling you to slow down, I  think you should be aware that I set the alarms to be very low. (I've actually been waiting to hear you complain about them... )

If this is the case, you will need to adjust the alarm settings higher. (I left them purposely low so since you were just learning.)

@RayRay 

I was literally about to make a post about this. I was like... It's set to 18km/h but the site says 18mph... 

Thank you for having them set low so I don't kill myself haha. 

@eddiemoy

That video does help, but you kinda flail your arms around, which wouldn't be possible if you were trying to get through a crowded area. Right?

22 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

@RayRay 

I was literally about to make a post about this. I was like... It's set to 18km/h but the site says 18mph... 

Thank you for having them set low so I don't kill myself haha. 

@eddiemoy

That video does help, but you kinda flail your arms around, which wouldn't be possible if you were trying to get through a crowded area. Right?

normally i wouldn't do that, but was nervous.  was also trying to get the best time for each wheel, arms do help, but not necessary.  you/i can do the same movement without the arms.  :P

On 11/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, Brandon Cohen said:

Half of the time, my left trail foot (I mount with the right first) never makes it on the pedal perfectly. When that happens, I automatically heel-toe pivot to correct that foot placement, no biggie.

Personally, I don't believe in set-it-and-forget-it feet while riding an EUC, so getting the knack of heel-toe pivoting my feet across the pedals lets me optimize my foot positioning with each change in maneuver; my feet never stay in the same place throughout a ride.

On 11/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, Brandon Cohen said:

Going slow is pretty tough, but I'll keep practicing that specifically. 

Going slow becomes super easy if you can pivot your feet perpendicular to the EUC body. This changes your turning axis side-to-side (where you usually have more leeway to swing a little side-to-side while riding in slow pedestrian traffic) as opposed to the normal parallel feet, front-to-back axis position.

3 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Thank you for having them set low so I don't kill myself haha

It occurred to me several times that the alarms were set too low; (but looking at your avatar, I figured maybe I was doing you a favor.)

Stay safe! 😉

Archived