Komoot - trip planning, navigation & recording

Seba

...and who's willing to wait until spring can possibly get the full package for just €19.99. In the last years the manufacturer granted this discount at the beginning of the bicycle season - presumingly at the last week of March. 

Regards, Borg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Seba said:

I will ask Komoot developers for some improvements and new features. At least they would allow to define "custom" routing options. This is the only feature I really miss: to explicitly define what types of roads/surfaces should be used and in which order. So you can save it as named personal preference and use in future.

I haven't seen a satellite mapping feature like Google's. Zoom-in, and street level features in satellite mode would provide excellent intelligence about environment and terrain features, before taking a route. A Waze-like route intelligence feature that adds to the body of knowledge about unique route features and hazards. For example,  intelligence regarding paved surface conditions that is user reported so that known routes stay updated at no cost Komoot. Unknown routes will become known routes over time as the user base populates. The feature would tell us which paved surfaces are rough or smooth and provide pothole location reports.

When the pothole is repaired the user will note with a pothole repaired report in the form of a simple icon that makes the pothole disappear off the Komoot map. Although I don't do a bunch of riding over off-road surfaces, I imagine that the reports would be very useful to riders that do venture off the beaten path. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

Google Maps are available when planning trip in web browser - just select small button in the upper right corner of the Komoot map:

komoot_maps.thumb.jpg.dca4689abe917c2ae57be7b5c9fa9571.jpg

HINT - press "M" to temporarily hide your track to see map objects behind. This is especially useful when working with aerial Google Map.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Seba said:

Google Maps are available when planning trip in web browser - just select small button in the upper right corner of the Komoot map:

HINT - press "M" to temporarily hide your track to see map objects behind. This is especially useful when working with aerial Google Map.

Thanks, dude. Now for the Waze features. Since Google now owns Waze it should be an easy play for Komoot. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Thanks, dude. Now for the Waze features. Since Google now owns Waze it should be an easy play for Komoot. 

I'm afraid Komoot won't be able to use Waze, because they only rely on OpenStreetMap data for route planning. Google Maps is used just for visualization. However, they could implement Waze-like features by themselves. Sadly, I've searched their "ideas database" and it seems they are not too keen to introduce new ideas :(

Just now, Lutalo said:

@Seba by the way, that google satellite feature must be PC-only. I couldn't find it on my mobile app :)

It only works when accessing the Komoot website from your web browser. I plan my routes on my computer, ahead of time (much easier than on the phone), but tt would definitely be a great addition to the mobile app in terms of route planning on-the-go

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seba said:

I'm afraid Komoot won't be able to use Waze, because they only rely on OpenStreetMap data for route planning. Google Maps is used just for visualization. However, they could implement Waze-like features by themselves. Sadly, I've searched their "ideas database" and it seems they are not too keen to introduce new ideas :(

Be nice if they could just use Waze because implementing Waze-like features in-house will obviously require time and resources that adapting an already existing platform wouldn't.

Hey. but, it is what it is. It's a great tool that I just used to plan a group ride. I actually get a sort of kick out of going to war with the route customization features 😉👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, travsformation said:

It only works when accessing the Komoot website from your web browser. I plan my routes on my computer, ahead of time (much easier than on the phone), but tt would definitely be a great addition to the mobile app in terms of route planning on-the-go

I would love that feature on the mobile app. I would also like to see a downloadable, and shareable in-app bird's-eye route map screen shot function. Or, is that already a PC/webview only function too :D:D:D

23 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I would love that feature on the mobile app. I would also like to see a downloadable, and shareable in-app bird's-eye route map screen shot function. Or, is that already a PC/webview only function too :D:D:D

There is a very nice way to create bird's eye view of a route planned with Komoot :) In fact you can visualize any route planned/recorded. And results can be much, much better than Relive. You just need Google Earth. I've even planned to make a "how to" tutorial, just give me some time B) 

You can just review your planned route or make a video like the one below. It's a 7th day of my trip across Poland, planned with Komoot and visualized with Google Earth. Overlay and final editing made with Adobe Premiere.

Edited by Seba
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Seba said:

There is a very nice way to create bird's eye view of a route planned with Komoot :) In fact you can visualize any route planned/recorded. And results can be much, much better than Relive. You just need Google Earth. I've even planned to make a "how to" tutorial, just give me some time B) 

You can just review your planned route or make a video like the one below. It's a 7th day of my trip across Poland, planned with Komoot and visualized with Google Earth. Overlay and final editing made with Adobe Premiere.

Figures. I am too addicted to my mobile :D

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 2

Just now, Seba said:

Wow, that looks awesome! I've been editing all my Relives with Premiere, playing with the zoom (keyframe-based), changing the soundtrack, etc., but it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as this! Great video!

Am guessing you exported the .gpx and imported it to Google Earth? Have never tried to "relive" a route in G.Earth, but will look into it, love the results you got! (and Relive's options are fairly limited, especially if you consider the suscription price of the premium plan...more than Netflix!). Can you play with zoom (or rather altitude) and camera angle in "real-time", as you record? Thought I'd try to go to bed early today, but it looks like I've found a new excuse (aka obsession) to stay up late :efee612b4b: (haven't done any screen recording since my gaming days with FRAPS on Windows XP :efee612b4b:)

Will be looking forward to your tutorial! Even if I figure it out myself, I'm sure there'll be a lot to learn from it! You've got a new subscriber! (And damn whoever gave your video a f*cking downvote!)

" Figures. I am too addicted to my mobile "

@Lutalo  :efee612b4b:

Edited by travsformation

@Seba I've managed to successfully import gpx files from Komoot and Strava into G. Earth, and replay the trip. Now I'm playing around with the settings to get the speed, camera tilt and camera range to my liking. :D The only thing I can't seem to get right is the camera range; no matter how many tims I change it, when I replay the trip, the value remains unchanged. Odd...

Will be looking forward to your tutorial! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 11:16 AM, Seba said:

I will be glad when this feature is available on the mobile app. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 9:30 AM, Borg666 said:

...and who's willing to wait until spring can possibly get the full package for just €19.99. In the last years the manufacturer granted this discount at the beginning of the bicycle season - presumingly at the last week of March. 

BTW, regarding the discount price of €19.99 for the komoot complete package, you should check this page(s) in intervalls:

https://www.komoot.com/product/complete-package

https://www.komoot.de/product/complete-package

I'm expecting the next €19.99 offer at end of March and maybe again at end of May. 

Cheers. 

• Like 2

The free version of Komoot has been my go-to route planner and navigator for a few years. Never needed more features to the free version, great app! I do all planning directly on iOS.

I love the most to ride on easy forest paths and pathways, but they are often marked accessible only by hiking or mountain biking. Unfortunately, those categories often include sections that are not ridable on an EUC. Luckily going back for an alternate route with an EUC is usually equally fun!

Since Komoot relies on the OpenMaps for navigational data, fixes to actual mistakes in the map data can be supplied by anyone. Changes in the map data should appear in Komoot in a few weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joshua Sherman said:

I travel a lot to different parts of the country for work and this application seems useful to me, thanks!

I love it. I use it a lot. Although, I think that it could use more features on the mobile app; satellite mapping. Community based information about the routes like hazardous potholes, wet mud for offroad, dangerous intersection, regulations that might affect portions of the route, compass, Etc. Some of the features I mentioned are present on the PC version, but not the mobile app. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 2:10 AM, Borg666 said:

BTW, regarding the discount price of €19.99 for the komoot complete package, you should check this page(s) in intervalls:

https://www.komoot.com/product/complete-package

https://www.komoot.de/product/complete-package

I'm expecting the next €19.99 offer at end of March and maybe again at end of May. 

Cheers. 

Hello Folks, 

FYI, the anounced discount price €19,99 is currently availiable - until 23rd April. Check links above. 

Komoot App is highly recommended, still my favorite. 

Cheers, Borg 

Edited by Borg666
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, whilst I have the attention of Komoot users here, can I ask if there is a way to force Komoot trip routing to stay on sealed roads.  I live in an area where there is a lot of bike paths and walking tracks that run parallel to the main roads (between the beach and those main roads).  When I create a trip along these main roads, Komoot drops that route down on the beach along the bike/walking tracks, instead of the main road (where I want it to be).  I find that I have to force the route back on the main road with a tonne of waypoints (which Komoot advises you should not do).   Even if I do this, it doesnt seem to hold for long and starts doing some whacky routing to accomodate the waypoints (such as looping through the streets).

Is there a planning filter that allows me to say "Only use Main roads" or "Ignore bike paths"?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Vincent