Inmotion V8 Turned Off While Riding

MCB

Hey everyone.  I wasn't sure where best to post this.  I was riding my V8/Glide 3 earlier today.  I wasn't at top speed, no tilt back, but I was moving at a pretty good clip and the pedals suddenly went completely limp / forward.  I'm kinda shocked I didn't break my arm.  Couple small scrapes and a nice lump on my forearm, but I'm fine.  

After dusting myself off I went to pick up the wheel and noticed it was completely turned off.  It was on a fresh, complete charge, not going fast enough for tilt back and no audible warning.

I've noticed some odd behavior from both the battery indicator and the power button.  There are times when I turn on the wheel and it immediately turns back off.  I've also turned it on and seen it underestimate the battery.  Sometimes I get a completely empty battery indicator, other times it will just display a bar or two down after a complete charge.  That generally corrects itself within a minute, but now I'm suspicious that it's connected.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?  What fixed the issue?  I don't think I'm under any warranty, I picked this up second hand locally.

• Upvote 1

For your safty you should chexk every wire in your wheel, maybe its just a shaky cable at the indicator...

And for the easy solution:

What do you mean with "pretty good clip"?

Did you rode downwards?! Downhill???

If its the case you wrote longer downhill after a really full charge eventually it was "just" a overcharge shutdown. At the v8 the power button dont work if youre riding it does not matter if you push it or it is a shake contact.

I have had my V8 turn off immediately after I turn it on a couple times. Figured it might be an issue with the button or something and mostly ignored it. Always stays on eventually. Haven't had it cut off while riding. That sounds awful.

1 hour ago, existensil said:

I have had my V8 turn off immediately after I turn it on a couple times. Figured it might be an issue with the button or something and mostly ignored it. Always stays on eventually. Haven't had it cut off while riding. That sounds awful.

Same here. Once I got on it and it cut out just seconds after I turned it on.

Sounds like other people have had the same odd power on behavior, so that may not be that odd.  By " pretty good clip" I simply meant fast enough to hurt, but not at full speed.  Level ground, tar and gravel pavement.  

I'm going to test the power button while holding it on a treadmill to make sure mine won't operate while moving.  I know it will turn on the light while moving, but beyond that I don't know.

I've also never had an over amp shutdown without the warning or pedal tilt back first.  I had neither in this case.

• 6 months later...

I've noticed some odd behavior from both the battery indicator and the power button.  There are times when I turn on the wheel and it immediately turns back off.

I had the same behavior right after fully charging it. I pressed power button, battery indicator was showing red and empty and it shut down very fast abrupting startup sound.

Edited by Oleg Artene

5 hours ago, Oleg Artene said:

The battery indicator glitch happened again and I managed to record a video

That happens occasionally to me. It's not a safety issue, as it only happens on start-up and is fully recoverable.

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2019 at 4:49 AM, Oleg Artene said:

The battery indicator glitch happened again and I managed to record a video

This is just a quirk of the type of "soft" power button used on the V8. It just means you have to press the button a little harder and/or for a little longer and then it'll never do that. (Used to have that happen in the first weeks with my V8 but haven't in many months since I adjusted and then automatized how I now press it.)

The quirky power button thing should be completely unrelated to original topic, cut-outs, which I've never experienced but eager to hear of any conclusions as to the cause of OP's problem.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had numerous issues with my v8.  It was a great starter wheel but as soon as I wanted to really ride. It started having problems.   It shut off while I was going 15/16 mph twice just from hitting the smallest bump    I opened it up and those things are put together soooooo cheaply.  The wires on the charging port were so flimsy just from moving it the wires started to break.  I had to re solder them..   both the headlight and the taillight broke while being switched from one shell to another.  Just super flimsy cheap parts. I’m amazed they handle the current they do.    I put it back together with no lights and a re soldered charging port. It still works but I don’t ride it much at all.  It’s a wheel I let people learn on if they’re interested because they won’t go fast and I don’t care if they break it.   Your best bet is to buy a better wheel !  I now also have a king song 16s and a gotway nikola .

Edited by Lucas Alexander Oliver
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 6:07 AM, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I have had numerous issues with my v8.  It was a great starter wheel but as soon as I wanted to really ride. It started having problems.   It shut off while I was going 15/16 mph twice just from hitting the smallest bump    I opened it up and those things are put together soooooo cheaply.  The wires on the charging port were so flimsy just from moving it the wires started to break.  I had to re solder them..   both the headlight and the taillight broke while being switched from one shell to another.  Just super flimsy cheap parts. I’m amazed they handle the current they do.    I put it back together with no lights and a re soldered charging port. It still works but I don’t ride it much at all.  It’s a wheel I let people learn on if they’re interested because they won’t go fast and I don’t care if they break it.   Your best bet is to buy a better wheel !  I now also have a king song 16s and a gotway nikola .

Super useful information. I've been considering a V8 for some time. Thank you!

Lucas: Have you seen the inside of most Gotways? (lol) Look like they were built in a third-world country. InMotion assembly is fantastic by comparison.

Edited by AtlasP

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Lucas: Have you seen the inside of most Gotways? (lol) Look like they were built in a third-world country. InMotion assembly is fantastic by comparison.

I've seen breakdown videos.. ill have to disagree  i think gotway looks like a professional performance piece of equipment. the v8 looked like a childs battery powered 4 wheeler from the 90's    my nikola has its issues as we all know but the power delivery,performance,comfort,and aesthetics on it are far superior imo, than anything in motion has put out to date.  but we all have our preferences.