Can't decide between rockwheel gt16 and inmotion v8...

Dr. J

Hi guys, I'm new to the euc world and am having a really hard time deciding on my first wheel, I've watched every video I can find of both and have been reading every review I can find for 2 weeks, I skateboard etc and am not worried about the learning curve, my biggest concerns are realibity and speed, I know I'm gonna crash and want the unit to be fairly durable, I'm also a major speed freak and know that I will always want something faster lol, that being said I wonder if the v8 which seems to be a super solid unit will satisfy my speed lust, but I'm concerned about the problems I've heard about the gt16 and engine cutouts/dangerous tilt back and quiet warning beeps... Ive read that the gt16 also has waterproofing issues, which I can just bicycle if it's raining if I go with the gt. Any advice or input you guys have would be greatly appreciated, also I was looking at getting the gt from dhgate. Com anyone know if they are reputable it's only 930 with a coupon from them which is tempting me to go with the faster unit... Thx! 

I can't help myself. Why are you limiting yourself to those two wheels? They are both rather long in the tooth, as this is late 2018. These wheels were created 2+ years ago. And anyone who proclaims themselves to be "a major speed freak" should not be looking at the slow V8 :confused1:

Budget has me limited originally it was just gonna be for fun and I wasn't gonna spend more than 400ish,now I'm considering breaking the 900 mark, most of the newer high speed wheels are well over 1k and I just can't justify that right now, but might wait and save a little more, however I don't think I want one of the big 18in wheels, I've read that they are heavy and don't maneuver as well, I live on the beach and am only 2miles from work high speed would be nice on the longer stretches but still want good maneuverability, alot of the reviews I've seen are old that's why I signed up and posted here. What do you think the best wheel under 1k is? 

54 minutes ago, Dr. J said:

Budget has me limited originally it was just gonna be for fun and I wasn't gonna spend more than 400ish,now I'm considering breaking the 900 mark, most of the newer high speed wheels are well over 1k and I just can't justify that right now, but might wait and save a little more, however I don't think I want one of the big 18in wheels, I've read that they are heavy and don't maneuver as well, I live on the beach and am only 2miles from work high speed would be nice on the longer stretches but still want good maneuverability, alot of the reviews I've seen are old that's why I signed up and posted here. What do you think the best wheel under 1k is? 

I'm not advocating the Z10 for you (because of the high price), but here's a little video of me on my Z10 at the beach. Note that this is an 18-inch wheel and is literally the heaviest EUC being made except for the huge 22-inch Monster. It's an amazingly maneuverable wheel. So don't believe what you read.

But yes, the ideal first wheel, and potentially only wheel, is the 16-inch form factor. Many of us advocate to buy the best wheel that you can. It future proofs you because if you end up becoming addicted to EUCs, you'll be satiated for a long time. If you go cheap or underpowered for your first wheel, after a month or two you'll be pining for that next wheel. You'll save money in the long run if you buy the great wheel first.

$1000 is unfortunately a tough number to work with without going used. The GT16 can be a great wheel, but it's on low end of the quality spectrum. If spending ~$1000 represents a large investment of your time (i.e., hours required to work), I would recommend going with a more quality wheel from a reputable dealer.

If you save a bit more, I would seriously consider one of the "S" model KingSong wheels, bought from EWheels. You'll have a warranty that means something and a quality wheel.

I'm sure others will chime in here with their own thoughts. Good luck.

Rockwheel GT16 is a good choice and very cheap. I am sure you won't regret it. I have more than 4000 km on mine (2500 miles) with no problem. Fast, agile, light, very pleasant wheel to ride. I wouldn't advise you to get it from DHGate. They are not really specialized in EUC and if you have a problem you might have difficulties to contact the seller.

Instead you should visit Rockwheel Store on Aliexpress. Price starts at 920$ but you can probably  get it cheaper after negociating with Yi Chen (the seller).

Yi Chen has close connection with Rockwheel factory (same family) and can get you replacement parts if ever needed. He is a famous and reliable seller.

Rockwheel Store - GT16

If you wait for November 11th to place your order , you might save more money as it is the big discount day in China. Delivery would take more time also.

I bought the V8 as my first wheel back in July. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful machine...but once you learn well, you’ll be riding the beep and dreaming of that extra speed. I feel I’m stuck for a bit with this one...and now I’m constantly drooling over the Z10 and MSX. The addiction is real! If you can scrape together the extra bucks for something faster with some more range, do it... you won’t be sorry.

Thx guys! Definitely won't go with the v8 I think I would feel like harp in a week wanting a little more. Lero when I went to that link the only"color" they had for 920 was v8 lol I did find this on Ali and it looks like the same seller but it wasn't listed in his store is this a wierd scam?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32948407693.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32948407693&aff_trace_key=0920bd040df044aa94fc73d6edfda270-1539142389988-03525-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=7760amp-1jxlR9aVBlQyfRVlUCbdfQ1540707081799

Any opinions? Tempted to pull the trigger on it but something feels fishy... 

This is probably a special price when you use the Aliexpress App. Then it doesn't show up in the Aliexpress normal web page. Anyway if it's from Rockwheel Store it is not a scam.

What you can do is order from this link and not process to payment. Then you contact the seller to make sure it is still available and try to get the black trolley (may not be included for this cheap price) and extra charger for the same price.

Thx! I will definitely do that, seemed legit because of the store listed as the seller but description of the unit was very broken English and one I was sent to wasn't, just cautious with websites because alot of sneaky stuff happens lol, thx again for the input, will definitely post a review and become an active member once the Addiction grows once I get my first unit :)

On 10/27/2018 at 10:54 AM, Iero83 said:

Rockwheel GT16 is a good choice and very cheap. I am sure you won't regret it. I have more than 4000 km on mine (2500 miles) with no problem. Fast, agile, light, very pleasant wheel to ride. I wouldn't advise you to get it from DHGate. They are not really specialized in EUC and if you have a problem you might have difficulties to contact the seller.

Instead you should visit Rockwheel Store on Aliexpress. Price starts at 920$ but you can probably  get it cheaper after negociating with Yi Chen (the seller).

Yi Chen has close connection with Rockwheel factory (same family) and can get you replacement parts if ever needed. He is a famous and reliable seller.

Rockwheel Store - GT16

If you wait for November 11th to place your order , you might save more money as it is the big discount day in China. Delivery would take more time also.

Hi, that Rockwheel got my attention :) What are the differences between the cheaper and the expensive models? Will the speed stay the same?

And as an extra, is there a list of all monowheels available where I can sort by speed or so?

1 hour ago, KevinvdV said:

Hi, that Rockwheel got my attention :) What are the differences between the cheaper and the expensive models? Will the speed stay the same?

And as an extra, is there a list of all monowheels available where I can sort by speed or so?

The main difference is the battery capacity. There are two: 858 wh and 1036 wh. Speed is the same. There might be also a different price according to colors. If I remember well, when they launched the new colors (blue and black, mate black), they were a bit more expensive than the white ones.

@Dr. J I suggest you check the second hand EUCs section of the forum to make sure to get a fast EUC while staying within the 900 budget.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/24-private-sales-secondhand/

The concern about the tilt-back on the GT16:

I always used shoes with a bit of a high hill for work, sort of like a boot. When I used flat runners, I felt like once I got to high speeds the wheel balanced back (not a limit tilt-back) which made it harder to keep the high speed.

I solved it by rebalancing the wheel a bit forward rather than flat, it works great for me, easier to accelerate and keep a high speed, while keeping the feet flat or slightly raised. It is just a matter of experimenting with the balance position you prefer.

I've done the same with the KS18L I received this week. Here a picture to make easier to understand what I tried to explain with words haha, you can see the box as the reference for what is flat.

IMG_20181026_223745.thumb.jpg.33936382ef44f7eeb07648f359409251.jpg

I'll keep my eyes on the used listings and wait till 11.11 if I don't find a used one sooner definitely leaning towards the gt16 but will be looking into the gotway more for sure, thx guys! 

Looking into that, I really like what I've heard about the inmotion, and 25 mph seems like a decent top speed, sounds like you can get a little more out of the rockwheel but not as safely as the v10... Correct me if I'm wrong, also seems to be more durable, heard alot about replacing the cases after a crash on the gt16... 

Archived