EUC concerns

Adam Volf

What EUC do you think is the best?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What EUC do you think is the best?

• Airwheel
    • Firewheel
    • Gotway
    • Inmotion
    • IPS
    • King Song
    • Ninebot
    • Rockwheel
    • Solowheel
    • Uniwheel

Hi,

I'm very interested to buy EUC (I will have to travel by train and walk short distances in year), but there are several concerns that i have: 

• No suspension/dampeners
  • Cannot find enough information about specific products - it is very hard to decide which to buy. Even when seeing Youtube reviews.
  • Ugly, amateurish designs. Most of the wheels except Rockwheel GT16 and Ninebot Z10 look very ugly (Almost retro 80s products). 
  • 18'' seem to be right size for me, but the weight above 15Kg is too much IMO.
  • All EUC seems to have inflated price, how do you justify price of over 1000 euro for basically wheel with motor, battery and few electric circuits.
  • It just feels like it is still very new and all of these are just early prototypes.

What are your views on this matter,

Currently I'm standing between Rockwheel GT16 and any Kingsong 18''. My height is 184cm, 16'' seems too small and Kingsong price is too high IMO.

I wish i could just test some EUC, but i havent even see one at where i live.

Thank you.

How does someone justify the cost of a diamond ring - such a little, simple, thing?

The cost of any product in the world is often more than the cost of its constituent parts. Likewise EUC's. People have to eat :)

Our modern wheels certainly don't feel like early prototypes, IMO. It's kind of funny to me that you pick the GT16 when it's probably the worst constructed wheel of all available wheels right now. And it's a bit of an old design considering we are late 2018. Maybe because it's cheaper? But then you throw in the Z10 which is one of the most expensive wheels?

At 184cm, all wheel sizes (10-inches to 22-inches) would be a good fit. I'm about that tall and all wheels fit me just fine.

Every wheel being produced in 2018 would be a good wheel IMO. To narrow the choices down we really need to know exactly how you intend on using it and what your budget is.

We (or me at any rate) can not offer an opinion on style since that's very personal. If how the wheel looks is most important, than our opinions here won't be of much value. So maybe the only wheels that you will consider are the GT16 and Z10???

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

How does someone justify the cost of a diamond ring - such a little, simple, thing?

The cost of any product in the world is often more than the cost of its constituent parts. Likewise EUC's. People have to eat :)

Our modern wheels certainly don't feel like early prototypes, IMO. It's kind of funny to me that you pick the GT16 when it's probably the worst constructed wheel of all available wheels right now. And it's a bit of an old design considering we are late 2018. Maybe because it's cheaper? But then you throw in the Z10 which is one of the most expensive wheels?

At 184cm, all wheel sizes (10-inches to 22-inches) would be a good fit. I'm about that tall and all wheels fit me just fine.

Every wheel being produced in 2018 would be a good wheel IMO. To narrow the choices down we really need to know exactly how you intend on using it and what your budget is.

We (or me at any rate) can not offer an opinion on style since that's very personal. If how the wheel looks is most important, than our opinions here won't be of much value. So maybe the only wheels that you will consider are the GT16 and Z10???

Thank you for valuable information! My intentions for the wheel is to transport me between home-train station-work ( about 3 Km) and to run some errands in city when needed, there is often road uphill. And ofcourse FUN. :-]

The thing with price is that wages (also costs) in Czechia are smaller than in most western countries, but the imported electronics are the same price. Imagine me - just graduated from college and working in IT firm, still have wage bellow average just because Czechia. My budget is bellow 1400 euro. 

3 hours ago, Adam Volf said:

No suspension/dampeners

for now your knees and a bigger tyre can be suspension

Cannot find enough information about specific products - it is very hard to decide which to buy. Even when seeing Youtube reviews

look on this forum it covers alot of information

Ugly, amateurish designs. Most of the wheels except Rockwheel GT16 and Ninebot Z10 look very ugly (Almost retro 80s products)

my mates used to say don't look at what your riding ? ..it is a personal preference though

4 hours ago, Adam Volf said:

All EUC seems to have inflated price, how do you justify price of over 1000 euro for basically wheel with motor, battery and few electric circuits.

its probably the best 2000 I've ever spent a good bicycle is well over that and has no motor or battery's , the batteries are about the half of the cost of an euc. plus it's cheap transportation but the most important its fun really good fun ..i could go on but there's no price on some things ??

It just feels like it is still very new and all of these are just early prototypes

i think euc have come along way so far,,,, in regards of safety anyway for today's standards,, things will only improve but I'd rather move along with it than wait

Currently I'm standing between Rockwheel GT16 and any Kingsong 18''. My height is 184cm, 16'' seems too small and Kingsong price is too high IMO.

this is your choice but I'd rather pay a higher price for the wheel i wanted rather than justify the price, you'll end up getting another anyway one day ? you won't regret it there's plenty of info in this forum good luck in your choice we are here to help if we can and also point out negatives in a good way ??

One of the best looking wheels is definetely Solowheel Xtreme. Also, it is very light, considering the 18" size. I know, it doesen't go very far or particulary fast, but it's one of the most – if not the most – comfortable wheel ever made, not to mention safety. Yes, it used to be expensive, but Urban360 seems to have a nice offer going on:  https://store.urban360.com/produit/solowheel-xtreme-black/

For range, speed & power, there are different options (18L, Z10, etc) of course – but as the first wheel, it may be a good idea to take things a bit more... slowly. ;) 

5 hours ago, Adam Volf said:

I wish i could just test some EUC, but i havent even see one at where i live.

Unless you have plenty of experience in riding unicycles, you won't be able to "test" an EUC, because you first have to learn how to ride it.

6 hours ago, Adam Volf said:

Thank you for valuable information! My intentions for the wheel is to transport me between home-train station-work ( about 3 Km) and to run some errands in city when needed, there is often road uphill. And ofcourse FUN. :-]

The thing with price is that wages (also costs) in Czechia are smaller than in most western countries, but the imported electronics are the same price. Imagine me - just graduated from college and working in IT firm, still have wage bellow average just because Czechia. My budget is bellow 1400 euro. 

I really think any modern wheel would meet your needs.

Maybe the prices are very different in Czechia, but KingSong makes some very affordable wheels. The KS14S and KS16S come to mind as some very high quality wheels. I know you probably think 14-inches is too small, but if my KS14S was my only wheel, I'd still be having a hell of a fun time riding. And it's super practical. Likewise the KS16S, but it's more expensive.

The KS14S would be a fantastic first wheel for the budget conscious, and it has a 35 to 40-mile range. You can't say the same thing about any other wheel in that price range.

Check out https://eunicycles.eu/en/ or https://www.electricunicycles.eu/ - they're Polish shops and they may or may not have different prices when you buy in English vs. buying from Poland or Eastern Europe. Maybe you can get a good price once you decided what wheel you want. I'd write them an email and ask, I think that would be your best bet.

For your budget, KS14D, 14S or 16S (680Wh for 1350€) seem the best choice. They're all compact and have a great handle for ease of maneuvering when not riding.

You will complete your short 3km commute in about the same amount of time with any decent 16" wheel. Inmotion V8 is likely a good choice for inexpensive, solid, reliable, and "fast enough" to get started. King Song 16S might be even better since it has more power without the cost of the 18" wheels.

The poll question is a little bit vague.  Best at what?  Best looking?  Best performing?  Best at getting onlookers to say wow that's cool?  Best range?

Considering that almost all the EUC makers have had some issues with their products it's a little difficult to say which one is "best."  It's like someone asking which car is best?  How long is a piece of string?  Who is the best woman on the planet?

My Ninebot One E+ is a looker.  Sleek, slim, futuristic looking still to this day.  But speed and range?  Not so good.  Reliability?  Top notch!  Would I say it's the best wheel?  Maybe for the sub 22 kph / 20 km range crowd it's pretty darn good!  It served its design purpose as a fun, last mile wheel in style and durability.  Ninebot issued some firmware releases which were wheel killers so I never did update mine.  It just works so why mess with it?

My Gotway Tesla is some kind of weird hybrid child almost as if Gotway had an after hours fling with a Ninebot engineer.  It's got a familiar ring light, a roundish oval  kind of body but with flare bell bottom pants.  It rides speedy quick with the steady pedal feel that Ninebot is well known for.  Range is good enough for all except the hardcore long distance riders.  Is it the best wheel?  I don't think so.  Mine dropped me over a few sidewalk bumps for some odd reason.  I also remember a video of an Asian rider who had his Tesla faceplant him after hitting a small drop.  I'm not sure if there's a firmware flaw that triggers a cutout if a sudden amp spike occurs, but mine only peaked at 80 amps at my fall.  Who knows?

I'd say pick a wheel that you're personally happy with appearance wise with features that fit your needs.  Check into past problems which could point to future issues.  Look into dealers you can trust to offer support if and when you need it.  Try some different wheels if you get a chance.  Buy a few to find out yourself which one is "best."

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'd say pick a wheel that you're personally happy with appearance wise with features that fit your needs.  Check into past problems which could point to future issues.  Look into dealers you can trust to offer support if and when you need it.  Try some different wheels if you get a chance.  

Amen! This is how hard it gets. So many people come on the forum and expect that they can be told what model is “best”.  The fact of the matter is, all wheels are trade off in someway or another. As has been pointed out previously, this is one product where you certainly get what you pay for. If you buy a good quality wheel, you will not be disappointed.  It’s one of those things where it’s hard to know what you want out of something before you use it. I suppose that’s why people end up buying multiple wheels.  For me, range was the primary consideration. I love exploring mountain bike trails and I never want to experience range anxiety. With the added component of high top speed, the MSX was my only logical choice. Everyone ultimately has to (anxiously) decide what is best for them.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Buy a few to find out yourself which one is "best."

Totally agree. It’s only money.  My buddy  @Marty Backe is still trying to find the perfect wheel after countless attempts. :)

21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Totally agree. It’s only money.  My buddy  @Marty Backe is still trying to find the perfect wheel after countless attempts. :)

You know me well :) I'm still looking for that perfect, "best", wheel. Maybe 2019?

37 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Here’s to the 2019 Ninebot Z with 3000W motor, higher pedals, and a 2000Wh battery!

:w00t2:

5 hours ago, Adam Volf said:

Thank you all for the responses, i found a second hand KS 18" (only 60Km) for half the original price. Hopefully the seller responds. (:

KS18 what? A, B, S, L ???

1 hour ago, Adam Volf said:

Kingsong 18L, from some shop in China,

Anyway i found this chinese e shop https://apogeebuy.com

If the used one doesn't work out my hopes are here, some people on this forum bought wheels from there and they were supposedly fine. Any experience?

Interesting,

I found the topic here:

Is this the one you are looking at? It says it is brand new, price including shipping and customs duty. Very impressive!

https://apogeebuy.com/kingsong/181-kingsong-ks-18l-electric-unicycle-1036wh-battery-2000w-motor-power-top-speed-50kmh-free-shipping-and-custom-tax-included.html

4 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

Interesting,

I found the topic here:

Is this the one you are looking at? It says it is brand new, price including shipping and customs duty. Very impressive!

https://apogeebuy.com/kingsong/181-kingsong-ks-18l-electric-unicycle-1036wh-battery-2000w-motor-power-top-speed-50kmh-free-shipping-and-custom-tax-included.html

Yes, the price is borderline suspicious and the shop doesn't have debit card or paypal option.

When in doubt, check some information available on the international directory of websites https://www.whois.com/whois/apogeebuy.com

Even though this site was created two years ago, I would not trust it too much. But it can be so reliable.

Aliexpress resellers, who do not want to pay 8% of their earnings to Aliexpress, create websites and distribute the address to their former customers.

7 hours ago, Adam Volf said:

Thank you all for the responses, i found a second hand KS 18" (only 60Km) for half the original price. Hopefully the seller responds. 

you really can't justify the price of these wheels ,just be careful it doesn't end up costing you more cause not a reputable seller , buy what you can afford safely I'd say ?

Archived