Studs for KS-18XL

Espen R

I've just made an order for the KS-18XL. Winter is comming, so I want to be able to ride in snow and ice. These are the shortest studs I've found,, 6mm in depth, and I am wondering if the tire is thick enough and if any of you have done something simmilar?

https://skruvdubbar.se/fordon/cykel/skruvdubb-bestgrip-1000-1-9-mm/

I thing I will deflate the tire so that I can get my hand inside it and try to screw one of these studs in. If the tire isn't thick enough I will order this and confidently screw the studs in: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/18_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(black)-c__313

Check my experience in this thread.  Have a couple hundred KM's on the tire so far on dry pavement (since the weather changed for the better after I put them on) and haven't lost a stud.

5 hours ago, Espen R said:

I thing I will deflate the tire so that I can get my hand inside it and try to screw one of these studs in.

The tyre on my 18L states that it is a CST "Anti-puncture" tyre... Apparently containing reinforcing layers.

For me this is a plus, but then I'm not trying to screw in studs.   

20 hours ago, Xoltri said:

Check my experience in this thread.  Have a couple hundred KM's on the tire so far on dry pavement (since the weather changed for the better after I put them on) and haven't lost a stud.

Thank you @Xoltri Your solution is both better and cheaper than the stud screws. The nail is a beautifully simple solution. I'm going to do this on my fatbike as well. 

17 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The tyre on my 18L states that it is a CST "Anti-puncture" tyre... Apparently containing reinforcing layers.

For me this is a plus, but then I'm not trying to screw in studs.   

I didn't know that @The Fat Unicyclist, so thank you for the info. Great to know I don't have to worry about getting a puncture. 

3 hours ago, Espen R said:

I didn't know that @The Fat Unicyclist, so thank you for the info. Great to know I don't have to worry about getting a puncture. 

Oh I still worry about getting a puncture... But maybe a little less than I would otherwise... The problem is that I don't have all the details about this anti-puncture black magic.

The CST website shows that there are seven levels of protection (see http://csttires.eu/en/technique.html), but I have no idea what level my tyre has.

If you have a look at some of the videos on the page linked above though, it looks like it could be problematic to apply studs to some of them (without damaging the protection).

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Oh I still worry about getting a puncture... But maybe a little less than I would otherwise... The problem is that I don't have all the details about this anti-puncture black magic.

The CST website shows that there are seven levels of protection (see http://csttires.eu/en/technique.html), but I have no idea what level my tyre has.

If you have a look at some of the videos on the page linked above though, it looks like it could be problematic to apply studs to some of them (without damaging the protection).

I couldn't find something that looked like 18XL tire there, but perhaps Kingsongs pictures aren't correct. I would probably damage some of the protection, a risk I'm willing to take. With @Xoltri solution I'll only drill 5 mm into the tire, and if it doesn't work I'll buy the tire I linked. I bought the Onewheel+ in late October last year. From December to April I could only ride in our small and damp one car garage, and the joy of the OW made me spend a lot of time in there. That makes me very motivated to put spikes on the XL:) 

Archived