KS18L headlight issue

hal2000

11 hours ago, Seba said:

If you bought your wheel in EU you have 2 years of seller responsibility. LED lifespan is very high - Cree (manufacturer of LEDs used in KS-18L/XL) states that after 10 000 h their LEDs will keep 94 % of original lumen output. Swapping the lights is only a temporary solution, the swapped light will also stop working sooner or later. You seller should repair both lamps by replacing boards with the new, thermally improved ones (old was made from glass-epoxy substrate, new is made from metal core substrate). Old, glass-epoxy boards we're designed improperly, so LED overheated over time. This is design flaw, so should be repaired under warranty. 

But you don't have to return whole wheel to the seller for repair. It will be inconvenient both for him and for you. You can replace these boards by yourself. Just request your seller to send you boards for warranty replacement. Each board is mounted to the lamp fixture with two small screws. Piece of cake :)

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

The seller was an individual, on eBay. I bought it second hand with the replacement handle bars to be replaced by me.
The first owner bought from Rockwheel Store, so I will try to get the boards you mention from them.
Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 12:17 AM, Jean Dublin said:

For the records, the white led of my front headlight went off (very weak), so I swapped it with the back one, so now it's fine.

Just in case anyone else has the same issue in future. Warranty is only 6 months for that part, but I've been told it's cheap (SpeedyFeet seems to be 25 Eur, Not cheap, but I heard it's like 2 Eur un China, plus shipping, maybe it's only the led and the whole headlight, not sure).

2nd white LED light which I swapped to the front has the same issue now, didn't even last for a month and a half, didn't even use the wheel all days. 

So if anyone has the same issue, don't swap them, or do it only while you wait for the replacement to arrive. 

• 1 month later...

Replaced mine with the V1. 4 board now.

It also has extra length to avoid the light to go too high and blind people. 

4592DLw.jpg

pxsTq7l.jpg

Kept the broken one on the back for now even if I've the replacement, as I only want the red light on the back. 

Here all pictures of the differences:

http://imgur.com/gallery/3DpFMP1

Archived