Too tall for a 14" wheel?

lioku

I'm 6'2" 170lbs and looking to pick up my first EUC. A few days ago I tried out a friend's Solowheel Glide 3 (16") which was great. But after doing some research the Kingsong 14D looks like a better choice in terms of features. The overall design appeals more to me and Kingsong seems to have a good reputation for being conservative and reliable. Also the 14D has Bluetooth speakers and USB charging which I could imagine being really useful. The only downside is that I'm worried a 14" wheel will be too small for someone my height. I would consider the 16S but it seems to be an older design and also does not have USB charging.

Does anyone here over 6' ride a KS14D? What's your impression?

I'm just learning, not interested in going fast, and mostly planning on navigating city traffic/pedestrians and climbing hills.

The KS16S is not an older design. All the KingSong 'S'-series of wheels were released about the same time.

I highly recommend that your first wheel be a 16-inch model because that is "the ideal general purpose wheel size".

USB charging via the wheel is highly overrated in my opinion. I have a ton of wheels that provide the USB port and I've yet to use it. I wouldn't let that be a driver for your decision.

The KS16S is the most economical choice for the features that it offers.

I'm 5'11" and ~175-pounds (geared up) and my KS14S is a joy to ride. I can't image another 3-inches in height making that much of a difference. But if you insist on the KS14, please get the "S" model for the additional safely that comes with the 840wh battery.

I'd still go with the KS16S if I'm only going to have one wheel.

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I highly recommend that your first wheel be a 16-inch model because that is "the ideal general purpose wheel size".

Thanks for the advice, Marty!

So assuming I go with a 16" wheel, would you recommend the KS16S over the SW Glide 3? The Glide3 is $400 less, but do you think the 800W motor and 480Wh battery would be a significant disadvantage safety-wise for ~16mph riding and some hill climbing? The 6S also has 10 miles more range which I'm not sure I would actually use, and is 8.5lbs heavier which makes me lean a bit toward the Glide3 when just looking at 16" wheels.

You can coast any wheel at 10 mph for what feels like an indefinite period of time, as that speed is very energy efficient. I have noticed that hills make little different in range; what you use going up you coast going down (or regain 15-30% back).

However, if you're going 16 mph then you have no choice but to go with the KS16S as that is the wheel with the power reserve to pull you safely. On the other hand if you're looking for a genuine last mile transportation then you'll find the V8 or the KS14 as much more appropriate, especially the V8 with its disable button.

Personally I'd go with the V8 because the lower footpads of the KS16S has caused me misery a half dozen times now.

1 hour ago, lioku said:

I decided to go with the V8/Glide 3. It seems to be a good middle ground between all different factors. Very much looking forward to it. Thanks for the help!

I emphasize spending a lot of time with your wheel before you decide to buy another one. After you learn the minimum skills (turns, one leg, backwards, hoping up curbs, and pendulums), then and only then can you properly decide what your next wheel will be.

Personally, I think most people would be entirely served with an MCM5 and a KS18/MSuper; however, I could also see me using a V8 as my only wheel for years.

Finally, don't forget the eBike option if you're looking at bigger wheels. I understand wheels for any speed and battery size are far cheaper than an eBike for the same price but the safety is incomparably better on an eBike. Despite my love of my MSuper and its 26 mph cruising speed an eBike is safer and fulfills the longer ranges that bigger wheels do at some cost in safety. No eBiker talks about bicycling at 25 mph when suddenly they are on the ground whereas nearly 100% of threads at the EUC forum are exactly about that situation. "Faceplant" is enshrined nomenclature with wheelers while no such term is used by eBikers.

11 hours ago, lioku said:

I decided to go with the V8/Glide 3. It seems to be a good middle ground between all different factors. Very much looking forward to it. Thanks for the help!

I think you'll be happy with the V8/Glide3.  It's a great choice at that price point.  My son got one and has been riding it to work for a couple of months now.

Now get yourself a helmet and some quality wrist guards (Demon Flexmeter double sided 3DO are highly recommended - http://a.co/d/hM6dwWl )

I've got a couple days of training time on my V8 now. The 16" wheel feels like the right size for me. The ride is super smooth, surprisingly smooth actually. I've taken an hour or so for the last couple afternoons to practice slow riding and turning. My local plaza has a bunch of flagpoles and trees that are fun to weave around.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:14 PM, LanghamP said:

I emphasize spending a lot of time with your wheel before you decide to buy another one. After you learn the minimum skills (turns, one leg, backwards, hoping up curbs, and pendulums), then and only then can you properly decide what your next wheel will be. 

This is a good list of things to try. I haven't had the courage to try one leg or backwards riding yet.. But I'm on the lookout for a safe place to practice pendulums. When you say "hopping up curbs" do you mean a full height curb like 6" or so? I'm guessing you need to actually grab the wheel and jump?

On 10/24/2018 at 1:14 PM, LanghamP said:

Personally, I think most people would be entirely served with an MCM5 and a KS18/MSuper; however, I could also see me using a V8 as my only wheel for years.

The KS18L looks so nice.. But I already have a bicycle for longer distances. Also it's so much heavier. If Kingsong released a 16" wheel with the same design as the 18L I would be tempted..

On 10/24/2018 at 11:03 PM, JimB said:

I think you'll be happy with the V8/Glide3.  It's a great choice at that price point.  My son got one and has been riding it to work for a couple of months now.

Yeah I feel like this is going to serve me pretty well for a while. I really have no complaints so far, but then again I haven't tested long distance and hill performance yet.. Might try some of that tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

They did. It's called the KS16S:efef3d5527:

Heh I know they have the 16S. What I meant was that I wish the design was closer to 14D and 18L. Guess I'm just not a huge fan of the battery bulge-outs / pads and the specific way that the LED windows and plastic case are designed.. but also I'm a designer so I freak out about details like that :ph34r:..

7 hours ago, lioku said:

When you say "hopping up curbs" do you mean a full height curb like 6" or so? I'm guessing you need to actually grab the wheel and jump?

Wheels can go up surprisingly high curbs although you will often crash (well, bail) if you chicken out. I think if the height of the curb reaches just below the axle of the wheel then the spinning front edge can grab the lip of the curb and pull the wheel up. I estimate the KS16s easily goes up any 5 inch curb while 7 inch curbs are doable.

Be advised the ramming even a two inch curb with locked kness results in a crash; you have to allow the wheel to climb up in the curb on its own by unweighing yourself off from the wheel.

Archived