First Impressions & Photos of the KS18XL

Jason McNeil

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

:) Since, there is no proper front or back and I prefer moving the mudflap to changing the tire, I have learned that the direction indicator arrow on the tire sidewall will dictate wheel front from wheel rear. 

Currently, on my 18L the light sensor and charge ports represent the front of my wheel, and the power button faces the rear; as the wheel direction indicator arrow dictates. 😉👍

It might not seem to have a front or back beside the mudguard...however...

You do not want to meet a car head on in a dark evening or night as the cars headlight might hit light sensor and turn you light off. Unless you covered the sensor for this not to happen.

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

You do not want to meet a car head on in a dark evening or night as the cars headlight might hit light sensor and turn you light off. Unless you covered the sensor for this not to happen.

;) don't ride at night. Never have. Not even once. I don't think it's safe. Perhaps that's the reason I didn't even consider your very good point. However,  my son rides at night frequently all over the city (DC). He reported that has never experienced this phenomenon. 

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

I don’t like automation when it comes to lights. I want to be able to chose.

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

Light sensor placement in KS18L/XL is a mistake. There is no difference if sensor is on front or back - it will be illuminated by the cars ahead or behind you. So it's best just to cover the sensor with a piece of black, opaque adhesive tape and have the lights on all the time.

3 hours ago, Seba said:

Light sensor placement in KS18L/XL is a mistake. There is no difference if sensor is on front or back - it will be illuminated by the cars ahead or behind you. So it's best just to cover the sensor with a piece of black, opaque adhesive tape and have the lights on all the time.

It's never really been a problem for me,  but it is a good idea to cover if frequently riding in situations where this poses a problem. 

23 hours ago, US69 said:

As far as i know the 18XL will only be a limited version, with a fixed number of wheels ...so there will be only one color!

Yes, but why discriminate European market in this regard? From what was mentioned in this thread I understand a white XL is in production and is/will be available in the USA. So, once again: Why?

13 minutes ago, hal2000 said:

Yes, but why discriminate European market in this regard? From what was mentioned in this thread I understand a white XL is in production and is/will be available in the USA. So, once again: Why?

To be honest i dont know what exactly to answer to this question.

The decision was made to bring up a limited number of 18XL, and as most probably the most wanted color until now was matte black the decision was made to todo it in matte black. Jason wanted some whites, so he specially ordered them when he does a order of dpecific number. As KS is not producing wheels „in time“ or „on demand“ like multimillion dollar car companys, the others that have been made where still black.

So that is no discrimination, just a decison to still be cost effective, as the 18XL shells need a special treatment.

Making the 18XL numbers limited and the thing not available by default is moronic. That they didn't plan for the obvious, a bigger battery variant, in the initial design, is moronic. Now they have to manually file off plastic side panels every time or what?

Maybe the deciders at KS will finally change their minds about that (and bigger batteries in general) when Western sales of the 18XL exceed the 18L (my prediction: 2:1 from now on, at least if they produce enough stock). The only reason to buy the L other than the rather few people who look at weight is the high price anyways, the L is very expensive already so people might go msX instead of 18XL for a 1600Wh wheel. If the 18XL had the msX price (over 250,- difference here in Europe!), I couldn't see many people buying the L over the XL.

And the pedals. They had to be essentially forced to make bigger pedals, and I'm sure nearly every Western dealer will order wheels with these pedals only from now on.

Or even the fact that they made the 18L, they had to be asked like a million times before they gave in...

Why are such things so hard to understand for manufacturers? Or what are we not getting? Oh well...:eff02518bb:

--

By the way, what happened to the nice colors for the 18L? They showed so many pretty renders and ended up with the usual boring black or white.

22289802_10155101187707877_2836984769133

26232728_224814021394393_415605554433423

26685332_224813914727737_577034432843792

26232914_224813958061066_336047223585873

Purple is sexy:efeeec645d:

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

By the way, what happened to the nice colors for the 18L? They showed so many pretty renders and ended up with the usual boring black or white.

They are still available in some stores, at least in few colors other than black and white (this is blue - https://eunicycles.eu/pl/18-calowe-kola/98-ks18l-blue.html). But it's just white shell painted - something anyone can do at home with spray paint. More, seem that even black gloss KS-18L is in fact white one painted to black.

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

By the way, what happened to the nice colors for the 18L?

I don't know if they still take orders for custom paint, but I bet they do.  If I remember correctly, in another post the kingsong rep said you could order any color for about an extra $73.  Ah, here it is, from last year.  It was for the KS16, but seems they could do any model.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7991-king-song-accepts-colorful-pictures-for-making-beautiful-and-unique-models/  .  Also they did wraps.  

A dealer from Poland had a blue version as limited special option on both KS14/16/18 models. They announced it in the dealer thread

On 11/19/2018 at 9:52 PM, US69 said:

To be honest i dont know what exactly to answer to this question.

The decision was made to bring up a limited number of 18XL, and as most probably the most wanted color until now was matte black the decision was made to todo it in matte black. Jason wanted some whites, so he specially ordered them when he does a order of dpecific number. As KS is not producing wheels „in time“ or „on demand“ like multimillion dollar car companys, the others that have been made where still black.

So that is no discrimination, just a decison to still be cost effective, as the 18XL shells need a special treatment.

@US69

Thanks for the answer. But... 

Since KingSong made an effort and "specially treated" shells for the US market I still don't understand why the "special treatment" could not be extended to the EU (and other) markets...

We should not be too hard on KingSong, the market is small, models change fast, dealers don't want to get stuck with old stock.  We don't know all the reasons.  If no dealer or distributor in Europe ordered White, then no white.  We don't know if they tried to order it and could not, or we too late.  

The big wheels are very expensive, I'm not sure they will be a real hot seller.  Maybe they are making a limited run of the XL, because they are going to come out with a new model built from the beginning to have large battery packs.

The demand on this forum is not really representative of the world-wide demand at this point; not if they want volume.

Jason's desires reflect his market, seems like they might start to understand that, even if it does not map to other markets, or not at the present time.

Archived