First Impressions & Photos of the KS18XL

Jason McNeil

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

So why did I modify the body of my 16s to remove the 2.125" tire and install my own 2.5" tire? Has there been a production change in the last year to 2.5" tires?

I meant the Kenda brand is on all KS wheels….Sure the 16 has a 2.125 Inch Wheel...till now

1 hour ago, Purplecycle said:

I must have one from the first batches, because my KS18L has a different tire...

Yip, for a short time they used a different tire brand...guess it was called rhyno

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Purplecycle said:

I must have one from the first batches, because my KS18L has a different tire...

You mean this tire? This is probably most known Kenda tire type, but seems that KS used two tire types interchangeably in their wheels.

cd6887e3d5e60415120a6be79ba5ff4e.jpeg

18 hours ago, US69 said:

Tire on the photos is the standard 2,5 inch Kenda tire which is on all Ks wheels...

IMHO this is Chaoyang, not Kenda:

TB1RWUCaBLN8KJjSZPhXXc.spXa_!!0-item_pic

13 minutes ago, Seba said:

You are totally right! Sorry then!

My eyes :-) I really thought this was the Kenda tire in Jasons photos...but now after looking again, i recognized my fault!

Yeah, this is the „new“ tire they use...i thought it was called rhyno or something, but its a chaoyang.

They changed it on the 18L as this tire has some more space on the side and can not scratch on the shell (what the Kenda did when it was a bit bend)

I thought they changed back...but obviously now this is the tire of choice.

Tomorrow or in the next few days i will receive a brand new 18L...than i can also tell which is their actual tire!

1 minute ago, US69 said:

They changed it on the 18L as this tire has some more space on the side and can not scratch on the shell (what the Kenda did when it was a bit bend)

I thought they changed back...but obviously now this is the tire of choice.

Tomorrow or in the next few days i will receive a brand new 18L...than i can also tell which is their actual tire!

This tire seems to be superior to the old Kenda. At least there is no recessed center element that caused the wheel to follow ridges between the sidewalk paving stones. Hovewer when worn, Kenda behaves quite well :-)

Just now, Seba said:

This tire seems to be superior to the old Kenda. At least there is no recessed center element that caused the wheel to follow ridges between the sidewalk paving stones. Hovewer when worn, Kenda behaves quite well :-)

That was what makes me most struggling...that following ridges. In the last 2 years that was giving me some „nearly crashing“ scenarios.

Other than that, when worn, it becomes better, and also i have to say this Kenda tire has a good longevity! I changed mine on my 18S recently after 3,5k km....and it wasnt really needed, just had the chance while a maintenance was happening.

As said, receiving a 18L now, curious to see how the new Chaoyang behaves....from my experience on GW wheels the Chaoyang are very soft and are worn down faster.... But i will see

I have a spreadsheet of potential upgrades to my beloved KS16S. These updates to the XL pushed KingSong back into the running. I didn't need more range for my purposes, but an improved handle and larger pedals are rather significant.

It's hard to find specs on this, though. Is the KS18XL really over thirteen pounds heavier than the KS18L? As a commuter device (overhead luggage rack on train, carrying up and down stairs at terminals), going from my KS16S's ~35 pounds (15.5 kg) to about 55 pounds (25 kg) is kind of a big deal.

I'm a pretty strong guy, but that may be over the top (heh) for lifting down from a luggage rack at shoulder height...

17 hours ago, Seba said:

You mean this tire? This is probably most known Kenda tire type, but seems that KS used two tire types interchangeably in their wheels.

cd6887e3d5e60415120a6be79ba5ff4e.jpeg

Yep, that's the one I have. Not bad, but I am very curious to try the other one. 

4 hours ago, Purplecycle said:

Yep, that's the one I have. Not bad, but I am very curious to try the other one. 

21 hours ago, Seba said:

Seba, do you know if they sell this tire anywhere? I've about 2000km on my 18L -- the tire looks like it will take another 1 or 2k even, but I would like to start looking for replacements.

15 hours ago, Pyrolupus said:

Is the KS18XL really over thirteen pounds heavier than the KS18L? As

13pounds? Where do you have this number from?

The XL is About 2kg heavier as the 18L...40 cells, each cell wheighing About 50gramms...that should be all :-) 

15 hours ago, Pyrolupus said:

(overhead luggage rack on train, carrying up and down stairs at terminals), going from my KS16S's ~35 pounds (15.5 kg) to about 55 pounds (25 kg) is kind of a big deal.

Wasnt the real weight of the 16S About 17kg?

I am also a "everyday commuting" guy...in the Moment i am doing that on my 1680wh KS18S, which has an attached trolley. From my experience the wheight doesnt matter that much, as Long as you have a stable trolley. Ok, reall carrying is a nogo...but fortunatly all our local traffic like subway, Busstations and so on have escalators or Lifts :-)

And the trolley solution on the 18L/XL is even much better than on the 18S …...

16 minutes ago, Purplecycle said:

Seba, do you know if they sell this tire anywhere? I've about 2000km on my 18L -- the tire looks like it will take another 1 or 2k even, but I would like to start looking for replacements.

No, I'm not aware of any shop within EU that have this Chaoyang tire in stock. However I believe that it will be available as a spare part from King Song distributors soon. I already did more than 3000 km with my KS-18L and tire doesn't seem to be significantly worn. I think it can easily go past 5000 - 7000 km mark without need for replacement due to wear. I keep pressure between 2,5 and 2,7 bar.

3 hours ago, US69 said:

13pounds? Where do you have this number from?

The XL is About 2kg heavier as the 18L...40 cells, each cell wheighing About 50gramms...that should be all :-) 

Wasnt the real weight of the 16S About 17kg?

I am also a "everyday commuting" guy...in the Moment i am doing that on my 1680wh KS18S, which has an attached trolley. From my experience the wheight doesnt matter that much, as Long as you have a stable trolley. Ok, reall carrying is a nogo...but fortunatly all our local traffic like subway, Busstations and so on have escalators or Lifts :-)

And the trolley solution on the 18L/XL is even much better than on the 18S …...

Glad to hear it! In that case, I would like to know what the real weight of the 18L (or XL) is, so that I can make a true comparison.

I found one place that has specs online for both wheels (18L and 18XL):

https://www.kingsong-europe.com/en/unicycles/95-ks-18l.html
https://www.kingsong-europe.com/en/unicycles/126-ks-18xl.html

18L: 18kg (~40 lbs)
18XL: 25kg (~55 lbs)

Not sure why such a huge discrepancy.

Also, I just weighed my KS16S. You're right: 37.4 lbs (17 kg). If the 18XL is only about 20kg, then I can definitely manage that. :-)

As for the commute, although I usually have options for using escalators (unless they are out of service—which they frequently are), it is in almost all cases much more convenient to carry my wheel up and down stairs rather than go the long way around and then stand in line for moving stairs.

15 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I wouldn't even be caught lifting my 18L down from a luggage rack much less the 18XL. :efee96588e:

In my youth, I regularly carried much heavier hay bales and bags of feed on my farm. I'm not a young man any more, but these wheels are still lighter than a bale of alfalfa hay or a couple of bags of molasses corn feed. ;-) (The top-end GotWays, on the other hand... Just, no. :D  )

Had an update from Tina last evening: the body panel screws, that are prone to stripping, are being replaced with higher grade steel. The production 18XLs will be using CST tires, KS's assessment is that there's a hierarchy of tire quality (from highest to lowest)  CST, Kenda, & Chao yang last on the list. As others have noted, I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that, the manufacturers use different compounds & treads, which have different properties, but it does seem that CST has the superior longevity.

For the battery pack, I've seen a couple pictures where there's a strip of silicon applied between the cells; I'd like to see more, where all the cells are completely entombed in pond of protective silicon; not yet finalized, should have more information over the weekend. KS will be using the Samsung 35E cells in the XL. 

Retractable handle will look the same as the 18L (but in black), the durability improvements are inside, to the locking pins & latch joints. 

King Song 18XL Trolley Handle Enhancements

On 10/22/2018 at 6:32 AM, Footloose said:

Can the bigger pedals be bought for on my KS18L ?

Yes, the new pedal will be interchangeable with all existing KS products. I'm going to be flying in a couple dozen sets next week.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:43 PM, Tangalang said:

@Jason McNeil when do you think the ks18xl will be available for purchase/preorder on ewheel?

Brushed up the deposit ordering page, now accepting deposits on the XL. If all goes to plan, we should be shipping out the first Wheels by air in about 2 weeks from today.  
https://www.ewheels.com/product/preorder-inmotion-vx-v10-vx10-ks-18l-ninebot-z6-z8-z10/

Note: I've been really impressed with the way Tina has brought about positive change at King Song, she has worked tirelessly to push through Customer/Distributor suggestions to improve the products.   

12 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Yes, the new pedal will be interchangeable with all existing KS products. I'm going to be flying in a couple dozen sets next week.

Please take my money, one of those pairs already has my name on it!

17 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I wouldn't even be caught lifting my 18L down from a luggage rack much less the 18XL. :efee96588e:

Me either. I just took the front and back foam off my 16S, it is now loose sitting perpendicular to my train seat! Very small unit. My 18L has to sit diagonally at my feet, just enough to get it in though. I cannot take my 18L on the bus, as the seats are closer. My 16S is fine on busses though.

7 hours ago, Pyrolupus said:

found one place that has specs online for both wheels (18L and 18XL):

https://www.kingsong-europe.com/en/unicycles/95-ks-18l.html
https://www.kingsong-europe.com/en/unicycles/126-ks-18xl.html

18L: 18kg (~40 lbs)
18XL: 25kg (~55 lbs)

18L is real 21,5 kg...i have one here now...add 2kg for the XL

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Retractable handle will look the same as the 18L (but in black), the durability improvements are inside, to the locking pins & latch joints. 

King Song 18XL Trolley Handle Enhancements

Yeah,

The new trolley is more or less completly worked over inside...

Stronger locks for carrying...and stronger inside mechanisms for the open/closing of the trolley.

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

I've been really impressed with the way Tina has brought about positive change at King Song, she has worked tirelessly to push through Customer/Distributor suggestions to improve the products.   

I can heavily agree to that!! Without Tina..being back from a family pause, Kingsong would only be half of the company it is Now!

She is really pushing forward quality!!!

Archived