First Impressions & Photos of the KS18XL

Jason McNeil

2 hours ago, hal2000 said:

So, have you ridden 18L in winter conditions  at all?

Yes, but my originally semi slick tire in KS-18L after over 4 000 km is more "slick" than "semi"... :efefa6edcf: So I use KS-16 when there is snow or ice on the roads/sidewalks. But as forecast say, following days temperature will be on the positive side, so I will switch to the KS-18L again :)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/18/2018 at 7:10 AM, Espen R said:

It handles 10 cm snow like a champ. Where it is plowed it looses grip sideways on small edges in the snow, but it is manageable.. sort of.. It is tempting to order this:  https://eunicycles.eu/en/tires/114-opona-16-cali.html, but it is hard for me to travel anywhere without going on salted roads. I just wan't to go to sleep and wake up in April. Anyone got any experience with hibernation?  

XL Snow.jpg

So much awesome winter information is hidden in this thread.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:52 PM, Seba said:

Yes, but my originally semi slick tire in KS-18L after over 4 000 km is more "slick" than "semi"... :efefa6edcf: So I use KS-16 when there is snow or ice on the roads/sidewalks. But as forecast say, following days temperature will be on the positive side, so I will switch to the KS-18L again :)

I have to say that KS16 is a perfect choice for winter and this may be the only reason I regret having sold it. I did not even use a winter tyre on it. 18L is totally different and requires a lot more attention and vigilance when in slippery conditions.

1. On KS16 the pedals are low and this helps a lot when you need to quickly counter manoeuvre a slip in an emergency (when you want to correct on 18L usually it's too late).

2. Low pedals also provide for safe landing position for your feet in case the slip is beyond correction (you are able to land standing up; on contrary on 18L in similar conditions you fall on the side of your feet which eventually may result in hitting the ground hard).

3. The 16" tyre is slim and eats into the snow. Also it reduces aquaplaning A LOT! 

21 minutes ago, hal2000 said:

I have to say that KS16 is a perfect choice for winter and this may be the only reason I regret having sold it. I did not even use a winter tyre on it. 18L is totally different and requires a lot more attention and vigilance when in slippery conditions.

1. On KS16 the pedals are low and this helps a lot when you need to quickly counter manoeuvre a slip in an emergency (when you want to correct on 18L usually it's too late).

2. Low pedals also provide for safe landing position for your feet in case the slip is beyond correction (you are able to land standing up; on contrary on 18L in similar conditions you fall on the side of your feet which eventually may result in hitting the ground hard).

3. The 16" tyre is slim and eats into the snow. Also it reduces aquaplaning A LOT! 

The ACM and ACM2 are also perfect winter wheels I've been finding.

I plan to run some tests on my V8 (Glide3 these days) over the holidays to see how it runs in extreme ice conditions. The tire profile is the same as the ACM but the overall wheel width is much narrower; I ride with feet right out at the ends of the ACM as it is. I have a feeling (hope?) though that the V8 will actually be somewhat/a lot easier but we'll see.

11 hours ago, hal2000 said:

The theory of this is solid, a smaller and thinner wheel should be superior in winter conditions, but for me it's not the case. I have ridden on ice, dry snow, wet snow and slush with both wheels, and the XL plows through everything while the 16s feels like a flimsy drift machine. The laws of physics still apply, but in my case the weight and balance of the XL, combine with a fresh tire and how the wheel physically fits my body, makes it a better winter machine than the 16s. On the XL the thickest part of my leg is in contact with the side pads, while on the 16s it is my leg bone doing the job, and I have to squeeze my legs much closer together in order to make contact with the side pads, which make the riding position stiffer and less agile. I do think my noobness also plays a part in this.

3 hours ago, Espen R said:

On the XL the thickest part of my leg is in contact with the side pads, while on the 16s it is my leg bone doing the job, and I have to squeeze my legs much closer together in order to make contact with the side pads, which make the riding position stiffer and less agile. I do think my noobness also plays a part in this.

I'm curious; how many riders feel the need to grip their wheel with their legs?  I don't and I know many others that don't either.  I find gripping useful in certain situations, like when riding over rough ground to prevent the wheel from jiggling from side to side, but normally, not gripping give much more freedom of movement and increased maneuverability.  I can flick  my KS 16 around this way and that like a 14" wheel.  Maybe I'll start a poll.

54 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'm curious; how many riders feel the need to grip their wheel with their legs?  I don't and I know many others that don't either.  I find gripping useful in certain situations, like when riding over rough ground to prevent the wheel from jiggling from side to side, but normally, not gripping give much more freedom of movement and increased maneuverability.  I can flick  my KS 16 around this way and that like a 14" wheel.  Maybe I'll start a poll.

On all of my wheels I normally ride without gripping - though when I am cornering I drop the wheel against my inside leg.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

There is a difference between gripping and touching for me, and with the XL I don't have to grip in most situations, but the thicker part of my leg touch the side pads lightly in my normal stance so that the wheel can't bounce between my legs. With the 16s there is no part of my leg touching the side pads, and on level ground I don't feel I need to have leg contact with the wheel. On off-road trails or bumpy slippery snowy/ice roads I do feel the need to have some contact with the wheel, to stop it from bouncing back and forth between my legs, and in order to do that on the 16s  I have to grip in a calf-legged stance, making me stiffer and less agile, because the side pads are located below my leg muscle. This might be a noob thing, but I do think it is more a body shape/height thing.  

The point I was trying to make about what is the best wheel for me in winter conditions was that it's not just the physics of how thin or small the wheel is, it's also about how the wheel fits you. 

This year I ride without touching the sides, only the pedals. This is great for normal riding, but I think it makes ice riding a smidgen harder; last year when riding in icy conditions I tended to have one leg snug to the side of the wheel to keep it steady, while the other was out from the wheel in its normal balance position. I feel like I was a little more solid on the wheel that way. Again, this only applies in very icy conditions.

20 hours ago, Smoother said:

The winter driving technique is slightly different due to risk of side slides, which are practically not a problem when riding in summer (or on grippy surfaces in general). In winter, when riding on snow or roads with ice patches, it is much easier to control lateral slippage by bringing your legs a little closer to the side pads. Of course, you don't squeeze pads with your legs. The only thing is that in case of which the leg can rest on the pad, what limits further tilting of the wheel and makes it easier to control the slippage.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, travsformation said:

Thanks for the info. Will see what I can find (will wait for my 18XL to arrive first though) :efee612b4b:

It's not as if the winters in the Barcelona area are particularly harsh, but I've found the V8's stock tires to be AWFUL for off-roading; the slightest bit of gravel (I won't even bother mentioning mud), and MAN do they slide! (even at slow speed)

Everything slides in gravel, it's gravel !.  By that I mean it's loose and will slide around when a heavily loaded tire is pushed through it.  Your stock tire is fine.  Just slow down and prepare to get very active in gravel and other loose media like deep sand.

The only thing I would add to @Seba s excellent video, is, after the bath, remove the wheel completely from the water and spin the wheel up to shut off speed.  This will throw any water off the wheel and keep it away from the bearings.  Those wheel bearings are sealed, but not particularly well.  You wouldn't want to get water in them.  They can be changed, but you have to completely disassemble the motor, and that's no walk in the park.

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I was just sent this from my contact at King Song. Apparently this is what their engineers consider to be "product testing" (I am so jealous)…

Those guys are having too much fun working so hard :D

27 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Those guys are having too much fun working so hard :D

Why can't I get paid to do stuff like that??? I've applied for video-game testing, wine-testing, you name it, but never get selected. Either I need to improve my self-marketing techniques, or the system is rigged ('cause I can kick ass in any video game WHILE drinking wine) :efee612b4b:

Haven't tried wine + EUC-riding, but would be willing to accept the risks if the pay were right (or I got a free wheel, or even with no pay or free wheel, I got the chance to try a yet-to-be-marketed supersonic wheel!) :efee612b4b:

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I was just sent this from my contact at King Song. Apparently this is what their engineers consider to be "product testing" (I am so jealous)…

This looks very similar to the 'hill' that we saw a Gotway wheel being ridden too. Maybe this is a common proving ground for EUCs in China?

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

Why can't I get paid to do stuff like that??? I've applied for video-game testing, wine-testing, you name it, but never get selected. Either I need to improve my self-marketing techniques, or the system is rigged ('cause I can kick ass in any video game WHILE drinking wine) :efee612b4b:

Haven't tried wine + EUC-riding, but would be willing to accept the risks if the pay were right (or I got a free wheel, or even with no pay or free wheel, I got the chance to try a yet-to-be-marketed supersonic wheel!) :efee612b4b:

By George I've got it! You like and wheels right? Start the wheels and wine club. Organize the "wheels and wine" group. Sponsor EUC rides to local wine tasting events for evenings filled with - well, I guess wine tasting. 

Better yet the "Beers in Bars" group. I think you know where I am going with that one 👌:D:D👍

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

By George I've got it! You like and wheels right? Start the wheels and wine club. Organize the "wheels and wine" group. Sponsor EUC rides to local wine tasting events for evenings filled with - well, I guess wine tasting. 

Better yet the "Beers in Bars" group. I think you know where I am going with that one 👌:D:D👍

Won't I need an expensive liability insurance for that? Or at least a liability waiver form....? :efefa6edcf:

9 hours ago, travsformation said:

Not that I'm recommending it But...., some people on this forum can attest to riding while drunk without any problems.  However, alcohol impairing response times, and decision making, should be mentioned, to introduce balance...BALANCE !! see what I did there? 

There might be a legal aspect too, but since, an EUC is not legally a vehicle here in the UK, one could argue any ticket saying drunk in charge of a vehicle.

29 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Not that I'm recommending it But...., some people on this forum can attest to riding while drunk without any problems. 

Is lying by omission still a lie? I said I'd never combined WINE and riding...but didn't say anything about beer.... :efee612b4b:

Have ridden home after a few pints (too many), and managed to get home safely (as in, didn't wake up with a bunch of bruises whose origins were unknown to me). I'm aware of the risks involved and don't condone such behaviour, which I admit it reckless, for my own safety and that of others, but FTR, I can attest that some people can successfully ride while drunk (or rather not fall on their asses in the event no unexpected circumstances arise. Please note I'm not taking external variables into account).

Second nature? Too much practice? In any case, I plead the 5th amendment: the right to remain silent :efee612b4b:  (Am doing a great job at that so far, aren't I?) :efefa6edcf:

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

There might be a legal aspect too

In Spain, there are administrative sanctions for riding drunk (whether it's an EUC or a bicycle), as in fine + subtracting points from your driver's license.... As far as I'm concerned (despite being an [occasional] offender), it's a reasonable approach. Any driver, regardless of the kind of vehicle they're driving/riding, is and should be (legally) responsible for their own actions, and just as I advocate for equality in terms of EUC rights, I'm also in favour of coherence in terms of equal responsibility

18 hours ago, travsformation said:

You were simply too good for this job. They thought that they would not afford you. That's all :)

15 minutes ago, Seba said:

You were simply too good for this job. They thought that they would not afford you. That's all :)

I heard it was because he kept falling into the vat (apparently for "another tasting") and shorting out the gaming controllers...

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I heard it was because he kept falling into the vat (apparently for "another tasting") and shorting out the gaming controllers...

Busted! Who told you???!!!

If anyone asks, I'll deny it categorically and stick with @Seba's explanation (the part of my psyche that still wants to maintain at least some dignity prefers that argument too) :efee612b4b:

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Unventor said:

I had hoped @US69 could add a suggested/recommended tip from Kingsong.

For a concrete winter tire? 

Sorry please, i dont know any.

The only Thing i can say i WOULD NEVER get any tire smaller than 2,5! Not even a 2,125 Inch...

But thats personal opinion…...as in General i dont like to ride in the snow. The idea and constant feeling of sliping away and wiping out just sticks to much in my head :-( 

• 1 month later...

Archived