Jump to content
Jason McNeil

First Impressions & Photos of the KS18XL

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

A beautiful thing is never perfect, but damn! This has gotta be close. The white shell is really growing on me.

But you'll have to change out all your riding gear!  

adult-deluxe-star-wars-ep-7-stormtrooper

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

A beautiful thing is never perfect, but damn! This has gotta be close. The white shell is really growing on me.

It is a nice looking wheel, I'll say that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

:) Since, there is no proper front or back and I prefer moving the mudflap to changing the tire, I have learned that the direction indicator arrow on the tire sidewall will dictate wheel front from wheel rear. 

Currently, on my 18L the light sensor and charge ports represent the front of my wheel, and the power button faces the rear; as the wheel direction indicator arrow dictates. 😉👍

It might not seem to have a front or back beside the mudguard...however...

You do not want to meet a car head on in a dark evening or night as the cars headlight might hit light sensor and turn you light off. Unless you covered the sensor for this not to happen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unventor said:

It might not seem to have a front or back beside the mudguard...however...

You do not want to meet a car head on in a dark evening or night as the cars headlight might hit light sensor and turn you light off. Unless you covered the sensor for this not to happen.

;) don't ride at night. Never have. Not even once. I don't think it's safe. Perhaps that's the reason I didn't even consider your very good point. However,  my son rides at night frequently all over the city (DC). He reported that has never experienced this phenomenon. 

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, radial said:

But you'll have to change out all your riding gear!  

adult-deluxe-star-wars-ep-7-stormtrooper

:D. No I won't. I'm wrapping it. I like the white for the blank canvas that it offers a wannabee artist like me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Unventor said:

It might not seem to have a front or back beside the mudguard...however...

You do not want to meet a car head on in a dark evening or night as the cars headlight might hit light sensor and turn you light off. Unless you covered the sensor for this not to happen.

I don’t like automation when it comes to lights. I want to be able to chose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Unventor said:

You do not want to meet a car head on in a dark evening or night as the cars headlight might hit light sensor and turn you light off. Unless you covered the sensor for this not to happen.

Light sensor placement in KS18L/XL is a mistake. There is no difference if sensor is on front or back - it will be illuminated by the cars ahead or behind you. So it's best just to cover the sensor with a piece of black, opaque adhesive tape and have the lights on all the time.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 4:28 PM, US69 said:

For european buyers -afaik- black will be the only Option....

 

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, radial said:

But you'll have to change out all your riding gear!  

adult-deluxe-star-wars-ep-7-stormtrooper

I like this idea for a helmet though:thumbup:

Darth Maul.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seba said:

Light sensor placement in KS18L/XL is a mistake. There is no difference if sensor is on front or back - it will be illuminated by the cars ahead or behind you. So it's best just to cover the sensor with a piece of black, opaque adhesive tape and have the lights on all the time.

It's never really been a problem for me,  but it is a good idea to cover if frequently riding in situations where this poses a problem. 

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hal2000 said:

Why?

As far as i know the 18XL will only be a limited version, with a fixed number of wheels ...so there will be only one color!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, US69 said:

As far as i know the 18XL will only be a limited version, with a fixed number of wheels ...so there will be only one color!

Yes, but why discriminate European market in this regard? From what was mentioned in this thread I understand a white XL is in production and is/will be available in the USA. So, once again: Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hal2000 said:

Yes, but why discriminate European market in this regard? From what was mentioned in this thread I understand a white XL is in production and is/will be available in the USA. So, once again: Why?

To be honest i dont know what exactly to answer to this question.

The decision was made to bring up a limited number of 18XL, and as most probably the most wanted color until now was matte black the decision was made to todo it in matte black. Jason wanted some whites, so he specially ordered them when he does a order of dpecific number. As KS is not producing wheels „in time“ or „on demand“ like multimillion dollar car companys, the others that have been made where still black.

So that is no discrimination, just a decison to still be cost effective, as the 18XL shells need a special treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making the 18XL numbers limited and the thing not available by default is moronic. That they didn't plan for the obvious, a bigger battery variant, in the initial design, is moronic. Now they have to manually file off plastic side panels every time or what?

Maybe the deciders at KS will finally change their minds about that (and bigger batteries in general) when Western sales of the 18XL exceed the 18L (my prediction: 2:1 from now on, at least if they produce enough stock). The only reason to buy the L other than the rather few people who look at weight is the high price anyways, the L is very expensive already so people might go msX instead of 18XL for a 1600Wh wheel. If the 18XL had the msX price (over 250,- difference here in Europe!), I couldn't see many people buying the L over the XL.

And the pedals. They had to be essentially forced to make bigger pedals, and I'm sure nearly every Western dealer will order wheels with these pedals only from now on.

Or even the fact that they made the 18L, they had to be asked like a million times before they gave in...

Why are such things so hard to understand for manufacturers? Or what are we not getting? Oh well...:eff02518bb:

--

By the way, what happened to the nice colors for the 18L? They showed so many pretty renders and ended up with the usual boring black or white.

22289802_10155101187707877_2836984769133

26232728_224814021394393_415605554433423

26685332_224813914727737_577034432843792

26232914_224813958061066_336047223585873

Purple is sexy:efeeec645d:

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

By the way, what happened to the nice colors for the 18L? They showed so many pretty renders and ended up with the usual boring black or white.

They are still available in some stores, at least in few colors other than black and white (this is blue - https://eunicycles.eu/pl/18-calowe-kola/98-ks18l-blue.html). But it's just white shell painted - something anyone can do at home with spray paint. More, seem that even black gloss KS-18L is in fact white one painted to black.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

By the way, what happened to the nice colors for the 18L?

I don't know if they still take orders for custom paint, but I bet they do.  If I remember correctly, in another post the kingsong rep said you could order any color for about an extra $73.  Ah, here it is, from last year.  It was for the KS16, but seems they could do any model.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7991-king-song-accepts-colorful-pictures-for-making-beautiful-and-unique-models/  .  Also they did wraps.  

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Seba said:

But it's just white shell painted - something anyone can do at home with spray paint.

:efeffe9e4a: super artistic creative mode activated

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steve454 said:

If I remember correctly, in another post the kingsong rep said you could order any color

has anyone been successful with this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×