First Impressions & Photos of the KS18XL

Jason McNeil

58 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The development of these is a long complex history; I had been asking KS for years to make some larger pedals better suited to meet the needs of most Western Riders, basing the arguments on Customer feedback, my own personal experience with the 18L, excitement surrounding the V10F release on this feature, & finally having that air-borne wipe-out, where on reflection thought some decent sized pedals would have allowed me to recover. 

With the introduction of the 18XL, thought it would be the ideal timing to give it that extra special addition. However, we faced some pretty strong opposition from the KS owner, who was adamant that the 25cm spec wasn't necessary, that it would ruin the aesthetic, that I was the lone voice in the wilderness asking for something that wouldn't have any demand, blah, blah... The original agreement was that we would help co-fund the development of the larger type & be reimbursed from the proceeds of sales, but the KS owner refused to produce anything larger than 22cm. My opinion was that this half-hearted attempt would be pretty pointless & that if there were to be investment in a new type, then we might as well do it properly, producing a design of material increase in dimensions. Thanks to Tina's persistent intercessions, reached a deal where we would pay for the entire development & that other sales would help recoup the initial investment. 

I don't know how KS marketed this upgrade to other regions/distributors, but the struck price on the 25cm pedals is not unreasonable, the same as what GW charge for their MSuper pedals. Everyone should have access to these if the request is made to their local distributor.  

I am actually very excited to try out the new pedals on my 18L. I think that 100€ is not a huge sum to pay for the bigger pedals, considering that the regular pedals cost 45€ each, not including shipping (at least from one European distributor that I consulted). 

I think the 18XL is a niche wheel, and those who buy it will buy it for the higher-capacity battery, the bigger pedals, and the rest of the improvements. I personally like having the option to choose whether or not I want the bigger pedals. I consider them as 'extras' just like you can choose extras on cars. 

What I like best is that these pedals are compatible with my 18L, which gives me the liberty to try them before shelling out for a 'full-option' 18XL...

Thanks, Jason, for all your work and lobbying. People like you push the world forward and in our unicycle world, we need all the push we can get!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway good job @Jason McNeil and @tinawong it can be hard to fight the argument of conservative company board. Creative people see opportunity and potentially new market shares. Conservative company board only see added cost

Imho these devices are new way of travel. Making them suit more people is key for them to catch on and make way for biggest sale. I do think @Jason McNeil @tinawongand @US69 help Kingsong to be on the right track. I might not need the bigger pedals but then again I have small feet compare to most western EU citizens. Belly is about average  plus a few undisclosed inches😉

Good job all.

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The development of these is a long complex history; I had been asking KS for years to make some larger pedals better suited to meet the needs of most Western Riders, basing the arguments on Customer feedback, my own personal experience with the 18L, excitement surrounding the V10F release on this feature, & finally having that air-borne wipe-out, where on reflection thought some decent sized pedals would have allowed me to recover. 

With the introduction of the 18XL, thought it would be the ideal timing to give it that extra special addition. However, we faced some pretty strong opposition from the KS owner, who was adamant that the 25cm spec wasn't necessary, that it would ruin the aesthetic, that I was the lone voice in the wilderness asking for something that wouldn't have any demand, blah, blah... The original agreement was that we would help co-fund the development of the larger type & be reimbursed from the proceeds of sales, but the KS owner refused to produce anything larger than 22cm. My opinion was that this half-hearted attempt would be pretty pointless & that if there were to be investment in a new type, then we might as well do it properly, producing a design of material increase in dimensions. Thanks to Tina's persistent intercessions, reached a deal where we would pay for the entire development & that other sales would help recoup the initial investment. 

I don't know how KS marketed this upgrade to other regions/distributors, but the struck price on the 25cm pedals is not unreasonable, the same as what GW charge for their MSuper pedals. Everyone should have access to these if the request is made to their local distributor.  

Hi Jason,

I greatly appreciate your reply. I'm grateful for the work you're doing for your customers in the US but also for the rest of the world. If you would ask me the logical size for a foot plate is 1 feet. There's probably a really good reason other than cosmetic that I as a new customer in the EUC-market does not understand. My feet are almost one feet long without shoes. There are three points of the foot that are crucial for balance. For me it's about 23 cm between two points farthest apart. Riding with a foot plate 20 cm long will result in at least one of those points will be on the edge or even hanging outside the point of where it will help me keeping balance. Not to mention the stress and ache it will cause to my feet after a long time riding. So the foot plate that you made happen is just barely enough for my feet, and my feet are in no means extreme for a man in Sweden.

For me it's not even an option if I will get the larger plates or not, I have to. It was one of the factors that made me chose the 18XL and not another wheel with larger plates like the V10F. But to have to pay extra for something that I thought would be standard makes me a grumpy customer before even having it delivered. But the least I can do to contribute to the larger-footplate-movement is to buy them. I hope KS will keeping statistics on how many of these footplates will being sold and base new models of that information. "wink" to Tina, I know you're reading this. ;)

On 11/14/2018 at 8:05 AM, Jason McNeil said:

The first production XL pedals have been made, KS are shipping out the pedals & the first 20x 18XLs by air-freight early next week. 

uc?export=view&id=1ko5eRihxDkFgGaY7C2doX 

@Jason McNeil Thanks so much for this effort.  A+!  I am wondering if I order from your website right now, would I receive a pair as pictured above with the full grip tape?  Also, would I need a differen't pin to install them on my KS16S or would the one I have already do the job? 

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The troops are ready for marching orders.

uc?export=view&id=1nU1A-9MPMjVCxTSyDGyuW

Is that an 18L on the far right, or is white going to be an option on the XL at some point? I love the matte black, but my wife would buy an XL tomorrow if it came in white. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Clopton said:

Is that an 18L on the far right, or is white going to be an option on the XL at some point? I love the matte black, but my wife would buy an XL tomorrow if it came in white. 

Judging by the big black pedals, I would say the white one is also an XL...

10 hours ago, Hapsflaps7laps said:

@Jason McNeil Thanks so much for this effort.  A+!  I am wondering if I order from your website right now, would I receive a pair as pictured above with the full grip tape?  Also, would I need a differen't pin to install them on my KS16S or would the one I have already do the job? 

News just in on the pedals, the factory received the first 100 sets, of 300 ordered. For this first air supply mission of 20x 18XLs, which are going out over the weekend, there will be just 25x sets extra pedals, which are all presold. Next arrivals are about two weeks out.

7 hours ago, Daniel Clopton said:

Originally the XL was going to be available in just the matte black, discussed with Tina, that this color was not to everyone's taste, now going to be offering in both the black & white. 

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

News just in on the pedals, the factory received the first 100 sets, of 300 ordered. For this first air supply mission of 20x 18XLs, which are going out over the weekend, there will be just 25x sets extra pedals, which are all presold. Next arrivals are about two weeks out.

Originally the XL was going to be available in just the matte black, discussed with Tina, that this color was not to everyone's taste, now going to be offering in both the black & white. 

Since I plan to customize with vinyl wrap (got it all picked out 😉), I'd go for basic white. The vinyl would certainly adhere better to the harder surface of the white shell than to the black's rubberized finish. 

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Yeah, exactly, originally only planned in black! The amount of work @Jason McNeil is putting in for the community is outstanding!

For european buyers -afaik- black will be the only Option....

Another seller for pedals in Europe popped up, @KS Poland

https://eunicycles.eu/en/spare-parts/110-ks-large-pedals.html?fbclid=IwAR35nsNekMI_puEZmwiUVKZ230J5M0FkQNkaZRvLVdju9bthyNJM6s9C_e4

52 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Chanting: ................................. USA....USA.....USA.......LOL

Therefor we in Europe have the best EUC repair/maintenance garage: 

1radwerkstatt.de 

;)

9 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The news just keeps getting better and better. I'm going to get mine ASAP. If my wife likes the ride she wants me to put a deposit down for a white one. Looking forward to some long rides in the near future. 

8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Since I plan to customize with vinyl wrap (got it all picked out 😉), I'd go for basic white. The vinyl would certainly adhere better to the harder surface of the white shell than to the black's rubberized finish. 

sounds dope - do you have a link to more vinyl wraps

2 hours ago, Siggy said:

sounds dope - do you have a link to more vinyl wraps

I plan to buy mine from Metro Restyling. They sell all brands. Since I am now an experienced rider and don't expect to be taking too many risks or falls, I am going a bit high-end with the Avery Dennison.

However,  since I am an inexperienced wrapper, I like to buy something in the realm of 6ft X 5ft just in case I screw up. 

I ain't revealing the color yet. Gonna have to wait for the unveiling; but, suffice it to say that the palette is quite ferocious. :efee8319ab:👍

6 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I plan to buy mine from Metro Restyling. They sell all brands. Since I am now an experienced rider and don't expect to be taking too many risks or falls, I am going a bit high-end with the Avery Dennison.

However,  since I am an inexperienced wrapper, I like to buy something in the realm of 6ft X 5ft just in case I screw up. 

I ain't revealing the color yet. Gonna have to wait for the unveiling; but, suffice it to say that the palette is quite ferocious. :efee8319ab:👍

keeping it hush hush! I look forward to the result.

Somethimg tells me it may have to do with a certain African proverb... ;) 

5 hours ago, Siggy said:

Somethimg tells me it may have to do with a certain African proverb... ;) 

Yeah, bredren. Keeping it on the low.  Sliding it under the mattress for now. But, you are right. It's got something to do with this particular African proverb:

"A beautiful thing is never perfect."      :efee8319ab:👍

I will email you the link to the company I mentioned.

6 hours ago, iMaster said:

Finally, manufactory installed the tire in a right direction 

:) Since, there is no proper front or back and I prefer moving the mudflap to changing the tire, I have learned that the direction indicator arrow on the tire sidewall will dictate wheel front from wheel rear. 

Currently, on my 18L the light sensor and charge ports represent the front of my wheel, and the power button faces the rear; as the wheel direction indicator arrow dictates. 😉👍

Archived