Jason McNeil

First Impressions & Photos of the KS18XL

I really like the bigger pedals, I just wonder if in tight cornering and uneven ground won't scratch the ground? 

Can the bigger pedals be bought for on my KS18L ? 

When will they be available? 

cheers

FL

• Like 1

Great info, thanks!

The fact that KS didn't plan for a bigger battery version during the design phase i just baffling to everyone but themselves. And how they did put in more battery... even Gotway 2 years ago did better with modified side plates. Hoping that Gotway-quality build is just due to being a prototype and they ramp it up with the production version - first of all with a decent battery casing.

• Like 1

Jason, thanks for sharing your experience! 

I find it very hard to believe that this is the final production version... considering previous wheels and their finishing touches, I expect to see at least proper battery casing and more professional trimming of the inner part of the shell.

The tire looks awesome, though, and I would really like to hear your experience riding this wheel on more difficult terrain (mud, sand, etc). 

• Like 1

I wonder which will offer a better ride....the Ninebot Z10 or this new KingSong KS 18XL.

Let me see, I have the mten 3 (Gotway....check)......the Z10 (Ninebot....check).....the Glide 3 (Inmotion/Solowheel....check)......but I do not have the KingSong brand yet.....Hmmmmm :-)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

I wonder which will offer a better ride....the Ninebot Z10 or this new KingSong KS 18XL.

Let me see, I have the mten 3 (Gotway....check)......the Z10 (Ninebot....check).....the Glide 3 (Inmotion/Solowheel....check)......but I do not have the KingSong brand yet.....Hmmmmm :-)

"better" is very subjective, but in my view the KS18XL offers a better ride (I'm assuming that it'll ride essentially like the KS18L, which I've ridden). The Z10 is more like the raw sports car with a suspension that keeps you in touch with the earth. The KS18L is a smoother running wheel that also turns more naturally. It's your SUV. The 18XL will obviously take you a lot farther.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the in depth review Jason. I may have the funds for a pre-order this week. I need those long pedals for my size 12 feet. If you have Kingsong's ear please tell them to keep the pedals black on the production run. I was originally hoping for a white wheel, but those black pedals have changed my mind. I love the look. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is the set-up I was hoping for on my next wheel. And I love the look of that tire! And the big peddles!  I want a white one ..I will order or pre-order at first chance!!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 11:32 AM, Footloose said:

Can the bigger pedals be bought for on my KS18L ? 

When will they be available? 

anyone an idea? 

FL

On 10/24/2018 at 12:08 AM, Footloose said:

anyone an idea? 

FL

I once heard they would be available for upgrading an 18L, but I'm not sure of the timeline. I'd email Jason since he would know the answer better than anyone else. 

Edited by Daniel Clopton

Just a mention on the batterie packs photos:

This wheel is a PROTOTYPE version....and i am pretty sure this will look better on the production version!

And btw some benefits: Even with the bigger battery from outside it is still the same dimension :-) 

The bigger pedals are available on ewheels.com...and they fit 18L, 16s etc....also.

Edited by US69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm really confused on what aesthetics are supposedly "ruined" here

On 10/22/2018 at 10:03 PM, Purplecycle said:

tire looks awesome, though, and I would really like to hear your experience riding this wheel on more difficult terrain (mud, sand, etc).

Tire on the photos is the standard 2,5 inch Kenda tire which is on all Ks wheels...

On 10/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, Jason McNeil said:

One minor compliant, is that the grip tape pads the same as size as on the smaller 20cm pedal, would prefer that these extend to the outer edge of the pedal

As can allready been seen on this -prototype!- version, the contoures of the pedals are already done to have extended grip tape. They just use the standard cut grip tape for this preproduction version.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, US69 said:

Just a mention on the batterie packs photos:

This wheel is a PROTOTYPE version....and i am pretty sure this will look better on the production version!

And btw some benefits: Even with the bigger battery from outside it is still the same dimension :-) 

The bigger pedals are available on ewheels.com...and they fit 18L, 16s etc....also.

Do I have to grow bigger feet? It is kinda hard at 47 years of age...My size 40 EU or 7.5/8 US would be like tossing a piece of sugger to an elephants mouth on those pedals ?.

Anyway good job @Jason McNeil for pushing for development for people outside China.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

Do I have to grow bigger feet? It is kinda hard at 47 years of age...My size 40 EU or 7.5/8 US would be like tossing a piece of sugger to an elephants mouth on those pedals ?.

Anyway good job @Jason McNeil for pushing for development for people outside China.

Big person, big feet, big wheel, big pedals. I'm happy to finally see pedals match the wheel size that's appropriate for larger riders. Lots of wheels out there for small feet. I've always had to wear very rigid sole shoes when riding to keep my overhanging toes from going numb on long rides.

Edited by Daniel Clopton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Will the bigger pedals be a standard for the EU market as well?

Edited by hal2000

13 hours ago, US69 said:

Tire on the photos is the standard 2,5 inch Kenda tire which is on all Ks wheels...

I must have one from the first batches, because my KS18L has a different tire...

14 hours ago, US69 said:

So why did I modify the body of my 16s to remove the 2.125" tire and install my own 2.5" tire? Has there been a production change in the last year to 2.5" tires?