Mono

at a crossing in Paris:

100 bicycles
 20 kick scooters
  3 EUCs
  1 skateboard
  1 roller blades
  1 others

My impression is that these numbers are somewhat representative, so 2-3 EUCs per 100 bicycles isn't that bad, isn't it?

EDIT: final counts:

1000 bicycles
 239 kick scooters
  25 EUCs
  14 skateboards
  11 roller blades
   2 hoverboards
   2 InMotion P2
   1 Ninebot mini

7 hours ago, Rywokast said:

where i live its more like 10,000 bicycles to one EUC lol

How many bicycles do you see per day, approximately?

do i see? many hundreds.. and thats just out the window from my work.. there are lots of huge bicycle paths that go all throughout the city that so many people use to commute, the few times ive been on them i have seen probably a thousand when its busy.. one of the trails alone is 55 km long.. and in all my life i have seen one single ninebot and thats it.. in the building i live in which is a smaller condominium there are around 75 bikes in the bike storage downstairs, which is at capacity so im sure lots of people also have bikes in their apt.. nobody has ever had any clue wtf it is that im riding lol

Here its the same... 10000 (maybe even more) bikes to 1 euc :( i never saw any euc on the roads where i live, REALY NO SINGLE EUC! I know from 2 other EUC riders around me (meet in the inmotuon app) but the next one is still 50 km away :(

Dont forget: eucs are not legal in some countries :(

Is it completly legal in paris/france? 

10 hours ago, Rywokast said:

do i see? many hundreds.. and thats just out the window from my work.. there are lots of huge bicycle paths that go all throughout the city that so many people use to commute, the few times ive been on them i have seen probably a thousand when its busy.

nice, very cool, I wasn't aware of places where you could see thousands of bicycles commuting in the US!

7 hours ago, MaiKi said:

Is it completly legal in paris/france? 

I don't think so, but thankfully law enforcement is not acting upon them ever, currently. There are rumours that this may change though, in particular as EUCs become more and more speedy and powerful.

8 hours ago, Mono said:

nice, very cool, I wasn't aware of places where you could see thousands of bicycles commuting in the US!

I don't think so, but thankfully law enforcement is not acting upon them ever, currently. There are rumours that this may change though, in particular as EUCs become more and more speedy and powerful.

im in Canada

Here is an interactive map showing bicycles to other.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/bike-to-work-cities-data-map.html

My city showed 176 bicycles to 90,000 "other" for a cool percentage of 2/10 of 1 percent. Which is so close to zero as to be functionally zero. Personally I've seen four other bicyclist here over the two months, five if you include me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've lived 1.5 blocks from Arizona State University (50-60,000 students) for more than 40 years, on a main bicycle route.  I used to see hundreds of bicycles a day and a few dozen skateboards.  Now I think it is almost even between bikes and electric rental scooters.  Skateboards are still popular.  I have only seen one EUC.  I saw more EUCs when I was working in Lima, Peru.

Were the kick scooters electric? If so, those could potentially move to use EUCs in future ;) 
I do believe those numbers for Paris, there is lots of electric rideables there.
I did a similar thing in Dublin once, I didn't count bikes though, I'd say more than 200 or 300.
I saw 10 electric kick scooters, could talk to 6 of them to invite them to the Dublin meetup :) 
I didn't see EUCs or electric skateboards this time tough.

I recently moved to Montgomery; the makeup looks like this...

80 trucks and SUVs.

20 cars.

1 EUC (me)

1 bicycle (me)

1 longboard (me)

This is 100% auto centric area, which is a shame as the weather is quite nice, the people somewhat poor, and the roads much wider than they need to be. Alabama follows the "arterial roads of death" model of transportation.

And it's a shame, as the downtown Montgomery area would benefit from kick scooters; if there's one thing that stands out with kick scooters is how popular they are. Regardless of how much people hate them, poor (black) people living in urban areas love them as they can't afford cars and public transportation is not good. eScooters are wildly popular, I've never seen anything like their popularity.

Hell, after riding one I'm thinking of buying one but there's no reason for me personally to.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I recently moved to Montgomery; the makeup looks like this...

80 trucks and SUVs.

20 cars.

1 EUC (me)

1 bicycle (me)

1 longboard (me)

This is 100% auto centric area, which is a shame as the weather is quite nice, the people somewhat poor, and the roads much wider than they need to be. Alabama follows the "arterial roads of death" model of transportation.

And it's a shame, as the downtown Montgomery area would benefit from kick scooters; if there's one thing that stands out with kick scooters is how popular they are. Regardless of how much people hate them, poor (black) people living in urban areas love them as they can't afford cars and public transportation is not good. eScooters are wildly popular, I've never seen anything like their popularity.

Hell, after riding one I'm thinking of buying one but there's no reason for me personally to.

You need to update your profile :)

That's quite a move from St. Louis! I hope your new digs are much less crappy than what you always described St Louis as. 

12 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Were the kick scooters electric?

Roughly about half of them are electric, I would say. The non-electric ones are usually driven by children. Roughly 20% of the bicycles are electric, I would say.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, Marty Backe said:

You need to update your profile :)

That's quite a move from St. Louis! I hope your new digs are much less crappy than what you always described St Louis as. 

St Louis has a lot of enraged drivers whereas Alabama has these 55mph wide roads that I call "arterial roads of death". Neither is bicycle friendly.

I recently read this article in Strong Towns that talked about how traffic crashes (front to rear crashes) rises in proportion to the speed and width of the road, due to drivers having less time to react. And 4 out of 5 times on my commute I see that accident on these Alabama roads whereas St Louis I saw maybe 1/10 crashes during my commute.

It seems astonishing to me that I can turn on my car radio and during rush hour I'll hear about traffic accidents. Does no one else except me find the high rate of crashes ludicrous?

I really think speed is the biggest factor; consider how much more chaotic riding your grocery kart is, and yet one rarely hears if deaths in isle 5.

This is why the low top speeds of electric vehicles makes them much safer than autos, and hence the draconian regulation we're seeing against them is much more political than safety related. 

16 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

St Louis has a lot of enraged drivers whereas Alabama has these 55mph wide roads that I call "arterial roads of death". Neither is bicycle friendly.

I recently read this article in Strong Towns that talked about how traffic crashes (front to rear crashes) rises in proportion to the speed and width of the road, due to drivers having less time to react. And 4 out of 5 times on my commute I see that accident on these Alabama roads whereas St Louis I saw maybe 1/10 crashes during my commute.

It seems astonishing to me that I can turn on my car radio and during rush hour I'll hear about traffic accidents. Does no one else except me find the high rate of crashes ludicrous?

I really think speed is the biggest factor; consider how much more chaotic riding your grocery kart is, and yet one rarely hears if deaths in isle 5.

This is why the low top speeds of electric vehicles makes them much safer than autos, and hence the draconian regulation we're seeing against them is much more political than safety related. 

Although your response is focusing on cars and such, I was referring to your continual banter about the crime and terrible people in St. Louis :unsure:

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Although your response is focusing on cars and such, I was referring to your continual banter about the crime and terrible people in St. Louis :unsure:

Oh that. Montgomery thinks it has a lot of crime but it's actually 1/3 to 1/2 the rate of St Louis, and in my opinion it feels very safe. Everyone here is polite and chatty.

Whereas St Louis is just awful. While I was there, the public transportation went from ok to "devoted to hauling human scum from ghettos to downtown and back". St Louis had to put just a crazy number of armed security on just about every car, and around five (!) cops at each station. Any less and there was assaults and muggings of the most stupid sort.

My office actually stopped putting out our yearly crime report for a couple years, we just made it harder to get too, because things got that bad.

Archived