How stable is the Z10 on its stand?

Alex_from_NZ

Hi team,

Im planning ahead and thinking how i will stop the z10 falling over while i am on the Ferry during my commute every day.  Ideally, I don't want to lie it down as occasionally it will be wet when i do so from riding in the rain..  Assuming its not a good idea to leave it wet on its side...?

The stand itself does not look like it offers much stability from side to side motion like i will get on the boat (sometimes its pretty rough weather).  I don't want to leave it outside tied to a rail like the bike guys do because salt water... And i don't really want to leave it standing between my legs for the 1hr trip.

There is a spot i can put it, but not close to where i sit and nothing to tie it too to stop it tipping over...

I have seen the bottom bracket of the stand looks like it could lend itself to something a little wider providing that extra bit of stability and was wondering if anyone had done something similar, or has a similar situation?  The best i think would be a replacement bracket that had a small telescoping bit that could come out of each side with rubber end feet, to give a wider platform and more grip.

Any info or ideas muchly appreciated!

Alex.

I attempted to design a telescopic stand for my Tesla. It worked but was an accident waiting to happen due to the profile. I wish you better luck on the Z10.

25912987587_6ef35f96b1_b.jpg

40784217461_d2e1730650_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

have seen the bottom bracket of the stand looks like it could lend itself to something a little wider providing that extra bit of stability

Bracket offer some stability but for sure not enough to keep the 27 kg wheel straight on the moving boat.  In my personal opinion - even if you make it much longer or telescopic - it will not be enough for the boat use. Adding something long and protruding from the sides- even when it may be folded - may bring danger for you and others. What will happen if such telescopic part opens when You ride the wheel?  

Find safe space where you can put the wheel on the side, or some narrow space there you can leave it in the standing position. 

19 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Bracket offer some stability but for sure not enough to keep the 27 kg wheel straight on the moving boat.  In my personal opinion - even if you make it much longer or telescopic - it will not be enough for the boat use.

If it were as wide as the unit is tall then I would think it should be pretty stable, no? The weight would be to its advantage.. 

Adding something long and protruding from the sides- even when it may be folded - may bring danger for you and others. What will happen if such telescopic part opens when You ride the wheel?  

I understand your point but will be engineered to not open easily so don't believe that to be a concern. Would also be no wider when closed than the unit itself. My concern is the strength of a telescoping part when the weight of the unit shifts, if the ends of the telescoping bar receive the weight they will likely fail. A strong steel tube using a ball bearing keeper would do it, but don't know how you could make it compact enough to fit.. Alternative I thought about was a bar, telescopic or not, that clipped in the same spot somehow. That way could just carry it with me. 

Find safe space where you can put the wheel on the side, or some narrow space there you can leave it in the standing position. 

Not keen to leave the wheel on its side, I've heard that is not good when it may be wet. Best to let it stand up to drain any water..? Unfortunatly no narrow space it can easily be tucked. Next best thing would be strapping it to the railing outside but don't really want to do that either.. 

22 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I attempted to design a telescopic stand for my Tesla. It worked but was an accident waiting to happen due to the profile. I wish you better luck on the Z10.

25912987587_6ef35f96b1_b.jpg

40784217461_d2e1730650_b.jpg

This is awesome!! Love someone else has had the same idea! 

What were you using as the telescoping support? Looks like a thin steel bar? Was it very strong or had a bit of flex? 

The z10 bottom bracket looks like it offers a good spot and a bit of width to allow something a bit more solid I am hoping. Just not sure what exactly yet! 

I wonder if something simple is the answer.. Keep the bottom bar from the unit, even though once the mudguard is shortened (something I am planning to do, because badass!) the bar is ugly as sin I think anything less than a 3d printed part is going to look just as ugly and potentially not work as well anyway. 

So.. Maybe two clips (low profile, quick slide in with locking mechanism - like go pro mount clips) on either end of the bottom of the bracket, square pipe of adequate length with rubber feet for anti slip as the stability base with the male clips attached.

Clip it in when needed, carry it when don't? Doesn't need to be long so not hard to put in my bag and will be more than strong enough if the clips hold. 

Thoughts? 

If it were as wide as the unit is tall then I would think it should be pretty stable, no? The weight would be to its advantage.. 

Please experiment.... maybe it makes sense. Weight will probably not be an advantage due to the fact that the support will have to be strong and stiff. If the ship start to move on the waves - whole thing can slide in the unwanted direction...

Alternative I thought about was a bar, telescopic or not, that clipped in the same spot somehow. That way could just carry it with me. 

Kind of the same answer - maybe some simple clever Idea will meet Your needs..    Need is the mother of invention.

Not keen to leave the wheel on its side, I've heard that is not good when it may be wet. Best to let it stand up to drain any water..? Unfortunatly no narrow space it can easily be tucked.

If You use protective padding which is in the box - it will separate the wheel from the surface a bit if You put it on the side... Z10 is for sure not ready to be submerged but it has better anti-water protection than Gotways for example...   however You should avoid salty water/wind as the wheel is not IP68  

I was thinking some rubber feet to stop it slipping. Will either be on tile or carpet in the ferry so should not slide with a couple of rubber feet I think. 

The suction cups are an interesting idea as well, would work well on the tiles.. 

Not worried about it lying in a pool of water, rather the water from riding in the rain up in the wheel well will not have a way to drain once I put it on its side, so will pool inside the unit if you understand what I mean.. Leaving it standing will allow any water to drain out during the 1hr commute. 

I am very keen to find a solution as this will be my commute everyday. At the moment I bring the mini pro in the ferry, but it is made to leave on its side so is easy, albeit bulky and awkward shaped. 

5 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

This is awesome!! Love someone else has had the same idea! 

What were you using as the telescoping support? Looks like a thin steel bar? Was it very strong or had a bit of flex? 

The z10 bottom bracket looks like it offers a good spot and a bit of width to allow something a bit more solid I am hoping. Just not sure what exactly yet! 

Thanks. I contoured 2 stainless steel bars and attach them beneath the pedal support with screws. The supports were first drilled and tapped. The mounted bars became the foundation for the telescopic portion. I’m having difficulty locating more photos of the build. Sorry. Here is one rear view. @The Fat Unicyclist also had a good idea for a parking stand that he wanted me to try and fabricate but I never got around to it. 

40062820354_25263cefd0_b.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks. I contoured 2 stainless steel bars and attach them beneath the pedal support with screws. The supports were first drilled and tapped. The mounted bars became the foundation for the telescopic portion. I’m having difficulty locating more photos of the build. Sorry. Here is one rear view. @The Fat Unicyclist also had a good idea for a parking stand that he wanted me to try and fabricate but I never got around to it. 

40062820354_25263cefd0_b.jpg

No i understand, i did not see the telescoping parts were flat plate previously and thought those were steel rods (what i was referring too).  I never actually noticed the actual rods from under the pedal hangers.. :D 

What were the telescoping parts from?  Window or door runners or something similar or just a part from somewhere else?

The more i think about it, the more i think a bar you simply attach with a couple of clips is the way to go... 

Archived