Monster 100v or MSX - An appeal for guidance from the Gotway gurus

Getting interested in a monster here too, comfort and high speed is appealing no doubt.

But it is also sooo huge and on a personal level I have no problem feeling comfortable on a MSX at speeds of up to 55km/h (Gotway app speed) depending on battery level, environment etc.  To me it does not disappoint in feeling very stable there, even hard to see why it would feel non stable to be honest but yes I admit I can be on the extreme end at times and yes we are all different, personal.

Still not ridden a monster but can only imagine taking that stability a step up and hopefully able to ride even faster like that, but wish they could do something like a 20 to maintain some agility, or possibly a redesigned 22 that's lighter and a bit slimmer perhaps? No elevator where I live, otherwise weigh itself can help that comfy feeling so move asap maybe?

• Like 1

@Girth Brooks It’s actually the same trolley handle that Jason was shipping with the KS18S wheels. @Rockhardo wasn’t using his, so he let me use it for my Monster. I had to cut a little bit of the metal tubing off at the bottom in order to make it short enough to work with the Monster, and re-drill the holes in the tubing, but it’s just attached using zip ties. I would have used screws, but in the event of a crash (which has unfortunately already happened), I’d rather some zip ties break than the shell. This choice already saved me, as after the crash all I had to do was tighten the zip ties a bit at the top. I’m really happy with the results, and I was surprised at how easy this was to do! It works great, not as solid as a built in trolley handle but you can tell it’s not going anywhere. Very useable. Here’s a photo album showing some details, let me know if you have any more questions.

https://imgur.com/a/kiGSyKp

@Electroman If you find yourself limited at 55kmh, definitely go for the 100v version. My version is the newest 84v, and the fastest I have ever been able to go is 55kmh. And that was downhill! My 3rd alarm usually sounds between 50 and 54kmh, on a full charge, on flat ground (my riding weight is about 175lbs). I’m sure it can go faster, but I would rather obey the beep as a faceplant/crash at these speeds would most likely be devastating. 

I have to admit, I thought I would be able to go faster :( but the seated riding experience mostly makes up for that IMO. 

• Like 1

@Nick McCutcheon thank you!! That really looks beautifully simple and effective. Awesome! I am going to get a Monster in the near future and a trolley is a must for me, so you helped me greatly. I was thinking of seriously getting a Dualtron Ultra or Thunder at first for power and range, but the cost and size of the premiere Dualtrons has turned me onto wanting Monster instead. You might have also ended my internal battling over which version of the Monster to get as well. Surely I can get 45-50 miles of range of moderate riding out of the 100V version. I ride alone for recreation and can't see myself needing anything past 50 miles at once.

• Like 1

@Girth Brooks  I kind of wish I didn't sell mine, I sold it to make way for a car purchase. The 100V final alarm(80% if power) comes in at 61km/h. The 100V is the one to go for, it will satisfy you speed needs, you will reach great speed quicker. When you exceed 50km/h the headwind becomes greater, you are basically leaning into fierce headwind. Notice from my previous video how easy it was to reach 35mph. Also if you can manage to get the seat and put it on, it increases the height of the wheel, allowing you to also use it as an extension handle and walk it. For reference. I am 185cm in height and weigh 200lbs.

Edited by ED209
  • Like 1

@Girth Brooks, also I have owned and tested practically the fastest of wheels, the 100V Monster will allow you to go 20 percent faster in most situations than you would even dare with others, it is designed to be stable at speed, even in windy conditions!

The taller, wide body and tire allow you to really clasp the wheel when going for it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@ED209 you sold me, my man. A 100V Monster it is. I hope ewheels still offers the seat and quick charger with their orders of the Monster.

IIRC, Jason has been meaning to get rid of their Monster stock (I forget why but it made sense when it was explained to me) and I think he only has one left, so you might be pretty lucky! I could be wrong though. And on the website, it does say it ships with the seat (my favorite part of the Monster!) and fast charger.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

New motor (2000W) from the MSX. New amazing fat-mosfet best-of-them-all board from the MSX (only the 100V Monster had it previously, the 84V had the 2 generations old and weaker ACM/msuper V3 style board). Makes the 84V Monster go from "eh" to "f**k yeah:w00t2:".

A Monster redesign may or may not be coming in addition.

Ok then i want one 😉 are they out now

5 minutes ago, stephen said:

Just looked omg £2600 from speedyfeet i think that's the old batch too😮

The MSX you have, already does 95% of what the Monster can do.  Have you changed your mind on getting a Z10? 

Edited by ED209

19 minutes ago, ED209 said:

The MSX you have, already does 95% of what the Monster can do.  Have you changed your mind on getting a Z10? 

Z10 is on its way, its more the 2400wh battery, maybe I'm just going to take my fast charger with me when i go out in future, i could ride the msx all day lol, well maybe when it's a bit warmer

Edited by stephen

5 hours ago, stephen said:

Just looked omg £2600 from speedyfeet i think that's the old batch too😮

Yes, the Monster is the most expensive wheel that you can buy. It's mostly due to all the batteries. It uses the identical battery packs as your MSX. But your MSX has two whereas the Monster (2400wh) has three. I think one battery pack goes for ~$500.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ED209 said:

The MSX doesn't have 95% the range of the Monster :D

@stephen is probably suffering from what I have, except I wasn't able to stop myself from continuing to buy more and more wheels :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm the little devil on your shoulder, whispering, "buy a Monster, buy a Monster:efef77eaf5:

Sssshhh I'm hearing it still , my girlfriend isn't but i am :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The MSX doesn't have 95% the range of the Monster :D

@stephen is probably suffering from what I have, except I wasn't able to stop myself from continuing to buy more and more wheels :unsure:

Look at what you have done, I am also suffering, You are contagious! 😁

Edited by ED209
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

New motor (2000W) from the MSX. New amazing fat-mosfet best-of-them-all board from the MSX (only the 100V Monster had it previously, the 84V had the 2 generations old and weaker ACM/msuper V3 style board). Makes the 84V Monster go from "eh" to "f**k yeah:w00t2:".

A Monster redesign may or may not be coming in addition.

Any reason to think a redesign may be on it's way?

Personally the somewhat flimsy shell and trolley handle omission are the only things preventing me from pulling the trigger on this one yesterday!

8 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Any reason to think a redesign may be on it's way?

I don't know. It gets brought up here again and again (not by me;)). May be wishful thinking, and there was some spec sheet image posted that mentioned a "Monster2" with 70pkh etc, but all that could realistically just apply to the current upgraded Monster.

This might be an msuper V3 - Tesla-ized msuper V3 - msuper X situation, where they upgraded the old wheel with the latest board and motor (did that for the msuper V3, just like they did for the 84V Monster now) and one month later the new one (MSX) was announced. Or this genuinely is the upgrade, all Monsters have the MSX board and motor now, and nothing new is planned.

I really don't know. Until someone can confirm there's a new shiny prototype or something, I wouldn't know of any substantiated info.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't know. It gets brought up here again and again (not by me;)). May be wishful thinking, and there was some spec sheet image posted that mentioned a "Monster2" with 70pkh etc, but all that could realistically just apply to the current upgraded Monster.

Well, Gotway has now pretty much refreshed every category in the past year or so, except the 22" Monster (10" MTen3, 14" MCM5, 18" MSX, and now 16" Nikola), so Gotway history says the Monster is due.... but pretty much this topic keeps coming up from baseless speculation by riders like me & @Marty Backe who want our Monster refresh!!

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Pedal-Hanger Redesign

• For the love of God, please move to a KingSong inspired pedal-hanger design so that us Monster fans can enjoy tight pedals for the life of the wheel.

That would be very interesting to see if the KS pedal clamping design could take the rigors of the bigger form factor.

There was a thread on FB somewhere (don't remember where) where KS was surveying interest in keeping the tall KS-18 form factor / model, and I was trying to push the conversation towards a possible circular KS-22 or KS-24.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Well, Gotway has now pretty much refreshed every category in the past year or so, except the 22" Monster (10" MTen3, 14" MCM5, 18" MSX, and now 16" Nikola), so Gotway history says the Monster is due.... but pretty much this topic keeps coming up from baseless speculation by riders like me & @Marty Backe who want our Monster refresh!!

giphy.gif

That would be very interesting to see if the KS pedal clamping design could take the rigors of the bigger form factor.

There was a thread on FB somewhere (don't remember where) where KS was surveying interest in keeping the tall KS-18 form factor / model, and I was trying to push the conversation towards a possible circular KS-22 or KS-24.

A 24-inch wheel would be a game changer, and if accomplished with a tapered shell, would not feel overly huge.

• Upvote 1