Mten3 max torque limits...

Hi! I'm impressed with this little machine. I love it more each day I ride. I have some security concerns about the amps. I think it has 512Wh in two battery blocks at 10A each. So, like in my V8, the max output would be 20A but this little Daemon shows much more than that. Is it normal? Should I worry about it or better disable amps alarm and enjoy until the five bips sound...

There are very high peaks! ?

Screenshot_20181017-175257.png

Screenshot_20181017-183033.png

2 minutes ago, Jorge RT said:

Hi! I'm impressed with this little machine. I love it more each day I ride. I have some security concerns about the amps. I think it has 512Wh in two battery blocks at 10A each. So, like in my V8, the max output would be 20A but this little Daemon shows much more than that. Is it normal? Should I worry about it or better disable amps alarm and enjoy until the five bips sound...

Imo GWs report the motor current and not the battery current (which is higher by design https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7549-current-demand-versus-battery-voltage/)

Additionally the reported current seems to be exaggerated, as reported and discussed quite often here in the forum. The V8 in comparison reports afaik battery current and "real" values...

However these numbers are still very usefull, especially in combination with this current alarm - afaik @Marty Backe uses exactly this alarm to keep his wheels alive! Could be that from your second chart the longer 80-100A sections were already quite at the limit for the wiring/Mosfets?

These spike numbers are mathematical artifacts and not real measurements. They mean nothing.

Also, Gotway is known for high current numbers in comparison, also showing that all this is less accurate measurements and more system-internal numbers that mean less outside of their context.

10A is a continuous discharge  (nominal) spec, it can be double that for short times. So 40A ist possible.

4 hours ago, Jorge RT said:

I thought the general consensus was that Gotway reports numbers that are at least twice reality. I've never paid much attention to the numbers as absolute values, but instead use them as relative indicators. I have a 90-amp WheelLog alarm that triggers when exceeded. This lets me know when I'm pushing my Gotway wheels too hard, and I back off. 90-amps is empirically derived by me. It's a ball-park (approximate) value.

I'm never using my Mten3 in continuous high-current situations, so except for when I first got it, I never use WheelLog when riding it. From my memory I know that it would trigger the alarm a lot when doing the various high-torque maneuvers such as reversals, rapid starts/stops, etc. But those are all momentary surges.

You may or may not know that I burned up the connection between the two battery halves in the battery pack when I momentarily got stuck in a turnstile. As I was trying to push the wheel against the immovable turnstile, the high-current vaporized the connection :(  I was able to repair it with a better connector and that was hundreds of miles ago.

EWheels says that Gotway changed this connector, making it more robust. My wheel was from the first production batch.

So personally, I would recommend that you just enjoy the wheel, but in an abundance of caution, maybe don't do any extended climbing of steep hills or get yourself stuck in a turnstile ;)

I confirm what @Marty Backe says. I also have a first batch Mten3 (August 2017). I never blocked my wheel. however, I practically had the same problem as Marty. Where I live, I have steep hills. so I made the decision to strengthen the battery like Marty. since then I have not had a problem like this. however, I had water infiltrations. but I solved the problem by putting silicone between the two shells.

water and dust caused a power failure. luckily, I had a motorcycle coat when I fell. a Mosfet and a capacitor suffered a little. but the motherboard is still functional. I also waterproofed the motherboard.

AD0BE7D3-1C3F-49E6-A0CD-84C8633FCBC0.jpeg

D1401BE3-3475-4507-BA13-8C3B3F7DAF4E.jpeg

98D17997-DA4F-460B-90C1-B6742922E9F8.jpeg

75666A10-50DE-411A-8F27-2BFA88592A12.jpeg

Great! Thanks all for such nice information. I didn't know about Gotway battery current data, I'll keep in mind. 

What about the wheel alarm (80% of max power)? Should it sound before failing the wheel in a high demand?

55 minutes ago, Jorge RT said:

Great! Thanks all for such nice information. I didn't know about Gotway battery current data, I'll keep in mind. 

What about the wheel alarm (80% of max power)? Should it sound before failing the wheel in a high demand?

I've never taken the Mten3 to 80% alarm speeds, but I know @who_the did and the wheel did not disappoint him. See this video:

the alarm of the 80% of power works well. I have a steep hill. between 80-100% battery, it goes smoothly. on the other hand, below 70-80% of battery, the alarm is triggered if I do not reduce the speed. at 60% of the battery, I climb the coast on foot :D . on flat ground, I never wanted to exceed 30km / h for safety.

41 minutes ago, Stanor said:

the alarm of the 80% of power works well. I have a steep hill. between 80-100% battery, it goes smoothly. on the other hand, below 70-80% of battery, the alarm is triggered if I do not reduce the speed. at 60% of the battery, I climb the coast on foot :D . on flat ground, I never wanted to exceed 30km / h for safety.

Really interesting. I'll do my tests in a safe place but for now, I really appreciate your help. @Marty Backe thanks for your recommendations, I'm very happy with my Gotway wheels for now and you are responsible for that ?. I've also tested Z10 and you were right, so great and funny /different wheel. Lucky to have good friends here to test different wheels. Thanks @Stanor, @meepmeepmayer and @Chriull

Archived