What is happening with Inmotion?

Zeno74

I cannot understand what's happening with Inmotion, I had the perception they were a high quality brand, also in term of assistance.

I've bought from them a V8, a V10F, and an L8F.

The V8 just died during the warranty period and I'm not receiving any clear answer from the guy I bought it from

The V10F we all know the waterproofing issues it's having

The L8 has had a problem with the wheel, I've ordered from Inmotion a new wheel that was supposed to arrive 1 week ago and was shipped so late that it's still in Singapore

What am I supposed to think? :-(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Marty Backe  who is the InMotion rep?

I have not been around long enough to know much about the history but I believe they got bought out.  It is common that a company provides a quality product and then does not keep up with the times. Other brands improve while the once superior brand makes no improvements and regresses in quality of parts and build, sells out and lets another company ride the once good name into the ground. 

I believe it is time for the e-markets to list InMotion as a subpar product instead of a superior quality product. And worn people that they are not  recommended  for people over 120 pounds. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

@Marty Backe  who is the InMotion rep?

I have not been around long enough to know much about the history but I believe they got bought out.  It is common that a company provides a quality product and then does not keep up with the times. Other brands improve while the once superior brand makes no improvements and regresses in quality of parts and build, sells out and lets another company ride the once good name into the ground. 

I believe it is time for the e-markets to list InMotion as a subpar product instead of a superior quality product. And worn people that they are not  recommended  for people over 120 pounds. 

@Jeffrey Scott Will is my POC. I just talked to him in person a couple of weeks ago. I get the impression they are still very much engaged with customer support (for the United States). Between Inmotion USA and EWheels who sells their products, I think it's a reliable brand for us locals. I can't say about the rest of the world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Seems like there is a fight between the new Inmotion U.S. team who are doing their best, and the company in China who is ignoring their advice and think they know better. So if you have to deal with the China part, that might be the problem.

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

Nah, that's too harsh. The V10(F) is a very nice wheel for the long break they've had. The problems with it (overheating, fires) are due to the Chinese trying to get away with too little (electric component size and battery housing, respectively). If they ever do a redesign/successor with better electronics and not doing dumb mistakes in construction like the lack of proper waterproofing, that wheel is as good as any.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DanCar said:

We don't need to make excuses for them.  If the thing burns down a house it is a horrible product.  period.

Yes........ I was trying to think how it could be worse........ maybe steal your identity and post it to the web and then explode instead of a slow burn?  They DO tend to get a free pass.  

I am not trying to damage a company. It would be great It they returned to market with the best products ever. I do believe that they willingly and knowingly risked their products name with bad choices. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just saying the only problem here is the Chinese design department doing really stupid/lazy/cheap/plain dumb mistakes, everything else is good. So it's easily fixable.

That doesn't help current V10(F) owners, though they seem to produce them with the plastic battery covering now, so the V10(F) is simply a great wheel that overheats easily.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just saying the only problem here is the Chinese design department doing really stupid/lazy/cheap/plain dumb mistakes, everything else is good. So it's easily fixable.

So, the US side is trying hard to fix the problem. That is at least a good start. 

I have a long time pet peeve for companies that test their products under minimal circumstances in a sterile non challenging environment. 

You sould test under extreme conditions and then improve the weak links within reason. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

I'd better start thinking of buying another brand then, since the V8's Bluetooth's connection's  stopped working. What next - a sudden cut out whilst riding? Quite disappointed with Inmotion for not getting back to me like they promised they would..

I mean, I have to assume they applied the fix for making me wait 2 months post batch arrival, but I'll verify that as well. My SN is 127xxxxetc. so somewhat newer batch than the 125 early birds. 

Edited by Glitched
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the InMotion people have their hands full of issues they are trying to deal with.  Maybe it's a case of under-staffing and trying to deal with too many problems with too few resources?  They started out nicely with the direct forum interactions, media hype, livestream broadcasts, and demo wheel to Youtubers.  Unfortunately they haven't been able to maintain the customer service response that people expect.  When you over-promise and under-deliver, there's going to be disappointment and frustration understandably.  Hopefully they will be able to get their shtick together and salvage their image.  These aren't cheap devices they are selling.  People have paid good money and expect fair treatment in return.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I’ve even resorted to sending an message to @Bobwheel

But that has gone unanswered as well.  He was very active when he needed help from the community with the firmware fiasco.  I will make sure to let everyone know of my horrible still to be resolved support experience. Definitely not expected from Inmotion!

The forum presence was by Solowheel representatives, wasn't it?  Solowheel was reselling Inmotions in the USA.

16 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

The forum presence was by Solowheel representatives, wasn't it?  Solowheel was reselling Inmotions in the USA.

Since a while Solowheel and InMotion are the same company, AFAIK.

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@FreeRide you would probably be speaking differently if you knew the full details.

And BTW, it’s not InMotion USA; they’re caught between a rock and a hard place, the way I see it.... the problem lies up at the top in China HQ, the reps who will probably never chime in here.

Exactly, it's not InMotion USA, so we should support them.  If they have support here, it is the only way they can have any influence.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I think people are being a bit harsh.  Sure InMotion set some high expectations, but I think we should understand they are more than busy right now dealing with the issues and probably trying to do some serious planning.  They are dealing with the issues, and Will has dropped in a few times since the repairs started.  I sure hope the V10 or it's next iteration survives; by many accounts it is certainly one of the best wheels outside of water proofing and physical battery protection issues (including, but not limited to water).  Let's hope they get through this and can continue to build wheels, the industry is small, we all need InMotion to be part of it.  They seem like a good group of people in the US, with our support it will be easier for them to influence their parent company.

I can have sympathy for the troubles and workload that Inmotion is suffering from, but that's no excuse. How can the users of this Forum not feel just a little bit used when they saw that Inmotion was all over this forum when the V10 was in anticipation of being delivered, but essentially crickets afterwards.

BTW, KingSong and Gotway are much worse, so this isn't just about Inmotion. But it's more of a sour note since they were very active when they wanted our $$$

• Upvote 2

Honestly, after seeing the prices of the V10's in China and Western Europe, I'll take the warranty that consists of "a bag of parts and a photocopied repair guide".

I think cross-shipping damaged with replacement items is really the only feasible warranty method due to the rise of online only stores.