First electric unicycle

KevinvdV

Hey guys,

Just new on this forum, and I didn't really saw a thread for this.
I got the opportunity to test a ninebot one already, and felt comfortable on it (I have more than enough experience on a normal unicycle).

I am looking to buy my first electric unicycle to replace my bike, the distance I travel is between 5k and 12km.
It would be nice if I can comfortably reach 20km/h with it, 25 maybe when I'm in a hurry.

The guy that let me test his old ninebot recommended me a ninebot over all branches since he believes they are the safest.
Problem is that I'm a student with a limited budget :D I looked a bit online and found a Ninebot One for €300, but I don't know the exact build year etc yet.

It says max speed is 22 km/h with a travel distance of 20km, which is perfect for me :) 

I would love to hear some recommendations for a wheel, because I might have got a biased view by now :rolleyes:

445357085-ninebot-one.jpg

445357085_1-ninebot-one.jpg

445357085_2-ninebot-one.jpg

22 minutes ago, KevinvdV said:

I would love to hear some recommendations for a wheel, because I might have got a biased view by now 

I would advise you to read around here in the Forum....

Ninebot One e plus is About 3-4years old technique(Ninebot C is even older)......yes they have been the best and safest EUC...at their release date. Now they are Pretty old stuff. Slow, to small battery, to less power....

It might be a good starter Wheel for a EUC or unicycle newbie, but as you are allready able to drive,  i promise you that you will get bored by the 20-22kmh tiltback very fast.

All uptodate wheels from Inmotion, Gotway, Kingsong and the Ninebot Z10 are better….

So whatever Wheel you take...i would choose another brand. If it is a Question of Money i would advise to choose a used one or a GW MCM3, which is a nice starter Wheel and not that expensive.

Yea don't buy a Ninebot (except the new Z) unless the price reflects that they are old and no longer competitive.

What exactly does "on a budget" mean? How much money can you spend? With EUCs due to various facts, you get the most for your money near the top end of the market, unfortunately. (Also, what's your weight?)

As a decent starter wheel for a really nice price, this is hard to beat: Inmotion V5F for 350€. But (like any other budget wheel) it will be a bit too slow slow quite soon, I think.

Your best bet would be a used KingSong KS14D (maybe 500€) in terms of what you get for that money, or any other good used wheel offer. Or a (new) MCM3. Don't buy an old Ninebot unless it's really cheap (300 is ok I guess, but not more).

Rules for buying a wheel:

• Any wheel is better than no wheel:efee47c9c8:
  • The expensive ones are much more price effective:efeeab781c:

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

As a decent starter wheel for a really nice price, this is hard to beat: Inmotion V5F for 350€.

Wow, that's a very good deal. It fits my budget (300, 350 as a stretch :p)

Is the website trustworthy though? I'm a bit skeptical with things coming from gearbest etc :s

P.s. A moderator has to approve all my posts, so it may take a while before my respond comes through

EDIT: I can only make 3 posts per day apparently, so can't answer before tomorrow. I also can't sent personal messages yet. So I can't contact the guy with the Inmotion V5F :( 

I know money is tight but I have never heard anyone say “I should have got the cheaper one!” It is always “ I should have got the better one!” 

On side note. I have been waiting for everyone to sell their old wheels before winter but y’all seem to be holding on to them!  Y’all are a bunch of greedy wheel hoarders!! :furious:  

I only have 3 :whistling:

Ok, so I'm considering buying the Inmotion V5F from gearbest (though I dislike those kind of webshops a bit :s). 

Second option is a futurewheel which I can get for €325: http://futurewheels.nl/product/future-wheel-noir/

This weekend I cannl borrow a ninebot s1 for practice :) it's working quite well, been riding on the street already 

1 hour ago, KevinvdV said:

Ok, so I'm considering buying the Inmotion V5F from gearbest (though I dislike those kind of webshops a bit :s). 

Second option is a futurewheel which I can get for €325: http://futurewheels.nl/product/future-wheel-noir/

This weekend I cannl borrow a ninebot s1 for practice :) it's working quite well, been riding on the street already 

That Futurewheel is a rebranded KingSong, although I couldn't tell you what the model is. My only concern with that is the health of the batteries. The wheel must have been sitting on the shelf for the last 3-years.

• It must be a KingSong 14B or 14C. These weren't bad wheels at the time, but are really old and outdated now. Also the tiny, tiny battery (174Wh) makes me think it's a 14B (the older model). 14C was sold with bigger batteries.
    I wouldn't buy that. Also Marty makes a good point, battery might be old and bad by now.
  • At lower price points, always get the wheel with the biggest battery, both for performance, range, and safety.
    The V5F has 288Wh vs. the 14B's 174Wh, so it's like 15km range vs. 9km range.
  • Also, if you for some reason want to buy from Europe instead of a China shop (if only for the wait time and warranty concerns), there is the KingSong KS14M, which is a small battery and low price variant of the current, modern KS14D. It also has the tiny 174Wh battery, but is much newer and even cheaper than the price listed for the 14B/ futurewheel. Would you get the futurewheel new for €325?
    Here's the 14M: https://eunicycles.eu/en/14-inch-wheels/86-king-song-ks14m.html (440€ new)

If you really can get the V5F for €350, it's the most bang for the buck, battery, speed, everything. I'd also go for the Ninebot (310Wh I believe) over any 174Wh wheel. How big is the battery of the Ninebot you could get for 300? It's also worth the consideration if you can have a bigger battery wheel right away instead of waiting for a packet from China.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:38 PM, KevinvdV said:

would love to hear some recommendations for a wheel, because I might have got a biased view

The E+ was my first wheel. I had lots of fun with it and I still have mine for occasional slow-speed nostalgic strolls in the park or neighborhood. I would never sell mine.

It‘s a great wheel and a looker.

13 hours ago, KevinvdV said:

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That Futurewheel is a rebranded KingSong, although I couldn't tell you what the model is. My only concern with that is the health of the batteries. The wheel must have been sitting on the shelf for the last 3-years.

Besides the batteries, the technical motor specification is quite exagerated:

Motor power:

sustained: 500W - would eat up the battery "on the fly"! With that battery configuration this would mean ~8,5A continously drained from the cells... According to dampfakkus.de's testing chart for example the LG MH1 (3.500 mAh cell) delivers just ~1.4000 mAh at 10A down to 3.3V!

peak power: 2000W - impossible! That's a region wheels like the KS16B with 680Wh just managed to reach!

If it can be anyhow prevented one should never buy a wheel with a battery configuration of just one cell "in parallel" - li ion batteries are not strong enough by now. Such wheels are just toys - for low range slow speed driving. And dangerous as such battery packs tend to get overburdened ...

Hey guys,

Just to complete this thread, I will go for the InMotion V5F :D
Super excited, I also made a trip of 6 kilometers on my temporary Ninebot. I can keep using it from time to time untill the V5F arrives!

Thanks for all the help

Edit: well turns out the code is expired... So no V5F for me after all ?

Archived