Gotway MSuper X - winter tire

Hello my new friends! :D To begin with, today I mount KS16C but I am about to get a stronger horse, a renowned and mighty Gotway MSuper X. :efef3d5527: Actually I almost bought one already when suddenly I realized I couldn't have found a ... WINTER TIRE for this thing...! Now, since the wheel does not just serve as a fun means to me; I just ride it for everyday purposes all year round, I need to have a winter tire option! As far as I understand, MSX features 18" tire, however it is as wide as probably 3" which makes it like 19" wheel... So, is there any winter tire available in THIS exactly size which would be 19" big and 3" wide, just as there are widely available winter tires of 16" and 2,125" size, which for example I use right now with my KS16C wheel, please? I spent quite a time looking for it in internet and unicycle online shops without a positive result, I even wrote to donald_gotway@kebye.com > about this issue few day ago but they wouldn't even bother to reply...

P.S.

Now, a kind request to the moderators: Please, let me communicate to the forum users instantly without waiting days for activation of communication fields! I know I'm a new forum user but I need some help right now not to make a stupid decision and spend my money in a wrong way. :facepalm: If the rules say otherwise, please, just give ma a chance; if I disappoint you and behave not properly you can always ban me anyway, can't you...? :efee8319ab:

Have a look at the following thread.  I bought the same tire that comes on the MSX and put studs in it.  I have about 75km on it so far and it is working great, although the handling of the wheel is different and I'm still getting used to it.

Wow!!! "Xoltri", I've just today bought few sets of Schwalbe studs (< https://www.bikester.pl/schwalbe-zestaw-wymienny-kolcy-srebrny-343508.html >) with the tool to install them into a tire I was about to use during winter, but I had no idea a regular on-road tire would take them in due to its little coat thickness...! Honestly, I hoped to obtain something like this < https://www.elektrycznemonocykle.pl/18_opona_zimowa_terenowa_(off_road)_do_elektrycznego_monocykla_(czarna)-c__313 > only 3" thick and put the studs into it...

Then, it was so instructive and revealing to me what technique you've developed and applied to install these studs! All I was preparing myself for was to install the studs using a soldering iron the way the dude in this video did:  

; this method, however, seemed to me much less precise and much more difficult to perform than yours did...  Besides, I think applying soldering iron heat to the tire is not the best idea and the most healthy way of dealing with it. 

Anyhow, my conclusions as for now are:

1. Proper off-road/winter tire for the MSX in its original size and thickness (3") are not available; wonder if they ever will - I think Gotway should take care of it... :mellow:

2. The only way to reasonably ride MSX during winter on snow and ice is to install iron studs into a regular summer on-road tire and use it with a little less air-pressure than during summer time.

3. If you do install studs into a tire which is originally not designed to have them, just do it "Xoltri's" method! :)

By the way, just being curious, "Xoltri", did you use studs with steel or aluminum bodies, because there are two types in the market available for bicycle tires?

And finally, thank you for the knowledge you've passed to me above. :thumbup:

Exactly! That's what I'm doing here - being careful!! :D But as far as I understand, MSX features 19" wheel, which in fact is probably... 18" on the rim. Is that right...? That's what I try to determine with experienced guys as you are... Because there are so many types of those tires that, if they fit MSX, it would be so much worthy of making sure, I guess. Any ideas how to check it out if they fit? :unsure:

Actually it seems so distressingly strange to me such a distinctive and leading in production of the most capable unicycles company as "Kebye" on issuing possibly the most desirable and powerful car in the market did NOT secure availability of the off-road/winter tire for its flagship wheel...! Incredible! :confused1: Can anybody explain THIS??? In fact I'm not trying to pretend I'm not angry; I've just bought that stuff and am awaiting for it to arrive but then the winter is at the door step and I am forced to put winter studs into an on-road summer tire and install this SUMMER tier with WINTER STUDS in it onto my enormous wheel! That's real bad, don't you think?

2 hours ago, szaroczek said:

Actually it seems so distressingly strange to me such a distinctive and leading in production of the most capable unicycles company as "Kebye" on issuing possibly the most desirable and powerful car in the market did NOT secure availability of the off-road/winter tire for its flagship wheel...! Incredible! :confused1: Can anybody explain THIS??? 

Well, the existing tire on the MSX is perfectly capable of going off road - I had put on a lot of kilometers this year both camping and in the mountains by Canmore on dirt/gravel/rocky paths.

ZHygTbYxX1FSX0-xsoyBwYNE8Q_Mb3ULoiL55ZEf

However I would never expect any manufacturer to produce a winter tire for these - it's a niche of a niche market.  There are probably only a small handful of people with electric unicycles willing to ride in the winter.  Just have to DIY it like cyclists used to do back in the day.

Another thing I have discovered is the tire you have on your wheel is different than the one presented on the Gotway advertising picture which is even smoother; wonder which one I would have put on on my wheel once I receive it... :unsure:

Xoltri tire.jpg

GW tire.jpg

The last picture is just a computer rendering, probably made before they even knew which tire the wheel would get.

While an actual winter tire is indeed needed by only a handful of riders, the original tire is very slippery already on unpaved wet surfaces. A more figured tire would be an important upgrade for a lot of riders. I’ve been hunting for one for a while also, almost downgraded to a 2.5” tire.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

A more figured tire would be an important upgrade for a lot of riders. I’ve been hunting for one for a while also.

Anytime you find one, just let us know asap, please! B)

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

almost downgraded to a 2.5” tire.

That was exactly what I was considering... For example this one, right:

https://www.elektrycznemonocykle.pl/18_opona_zimowa_terenowa_(off_road)_do_elektrycznego_monocykla_(czarna)-c__313

Curious if any of MSX owner tried this option already and with what result... :unsure:

Searched a little more, and also measured a bit. What I found was interesting: The original MSX tire says 18” x 3.00”, but the width actually measures 2.75”. The same tire (Chaoyang H-5102) as a 16x2.5 version measures exactly 2.5”.

Further more, I’m now looking at 14” diameter motorcycle tires (different standards, rim diameter, not tire). A 3.00”-12 tire I have measures 3.25”.

And the tire opening on the MSX is exactly 80mm, so an actual 3” tire would have a generous tolerance of 2.5mm (1/10”) per side. So best to look for a maximum of 2.75” width tire anyway.

As for the height, a 80/80-14 mc tire has an overall diameter of about 19”, so it could be overall a good fit. (Edit: Nope.)

EDIT: Confirmed with a distributor, their 80 tire is exactly 80mm wide, so it won’t fit. A 2.75-14 tire should be closest to the original.

16 hours ago, szaroczek said:

Any concrete suggestion possibly, then...? :rolleyes:

Your guess is probably as good as anyone else’s, and the availability varies around the globe. Any 2.75-14 motorcycle tire should be a good fit, just pick a pattern that looks off-road enough, but not too much. A full-on motocross tire would be too shaky...

Archived