Is King Song the safest / best electric unicycle available? References collected here.

KaleOsaurusRex

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/11/2016 at 4:02 PM, Casey said:

I was on my KS14(c). I had been riding it back and forth to work most of the days of this week.  Great peppy machine.  It was pretty warm this morning and my wife and I were going to the farmers market and another event in town.  About a half mile from home I swerved around a skunk and kept cruising.  I have no way of knowing my top speed but I wasn't going that fast.  Also, I think my stop speed is either 30 or 32 Khalid, with beeps a couple below and I was not beeping.  I have app connectivity issues so I am not sure of my settings.

So I was cruising and decided to punch it for a bit of thrill.  I heard a single and a double beep in rapid succession and I was still leaning into it a bit.  Then, I remember something like being bucked.  My wife said it look like I went back, then flew forward.  When I gathered up myself, found my sunglasses in the nearby ditch, and calmed my wife I had to power on the machine to head back.  I was just wearing shorts and a short sleeve button up with converse sneakers, no protective gear.  I will not ride with protective stuff, because it would be too hot.  I would just drive my truck.  

I do not know for sure if the wheel shut down after I fell off or before.  I don't know if it shutoff or tilted back and bucked me off.  I ride the wheel about every day and I am pretty good on it.  However, I believe it was a tilt back caused by my sudden acceleration, maybe in conjunction with the hot morning.  The road was flat and I was in control until the wheel kicked or quit.  It really reminded me of a kickback with a chainsaw.

Has Kingsing had any issues with shutdown or unexpected tilt back?  Still love my wheel.  Thanks.

@Casey, sounds like you had maximum tiltback.  If you can get your app connected try setting the speed limiter to a lower speed and accelerate like you did that time you got ejected and see if the tiltback is the same.  It might be stronger as there is more reserve, but the lower speed will not throw you off.  Good to know KS has such reserve power.

On 6/11/2016 at 4:02 PM, Casey said:

I was on my KS14(c). I had been riding it back and forth to work most of the days of this week.  Great peppy machine.  It was pretty warm this morning and my wife and I were going to the farmers market and another event in town.  About a half mile from home I swerved around a skunk and kept cruising.  I have no way of knowing my top speed but I wasn't going that fast.  Also, I think my stop speed is either 30 or 32 Khalid, with beeps a couple below and I was not beeping.  I have app connectivity issues so I am not sure of my settings.

So I was cruising and decided to punch it for a bit of thrill.  I heard a single and a double beep in rapid succession and I was still leaning into it a bit.  Then, I remember something like being bucked.  My wife said it look like I went back, then flew forward.  When I gathered up myself, found my sunglasses in the nearby ditch, and calmed my wife I had to power on the machine to head back.  I was just wearing shorts and a short sleeve button up with converse sneakers, no protective gear.  I will not ride with protective stuff, because it would be too hot.  I would just drive my truck.  

I do not know for sure if the wheel shut down after I fell off or before.  I don't know if it shutoff or tilted back and bucked me off.  I ride the wheel about every day and I am pretty good on it.  However, I believe it was a tilt back caused by my sudden acceleration, maybe in conjunction with the hot morning.  The road was flat and I was in control until the wheel kicked or quit.  It really reminded me of a kickback with a chainsaw.

Has Kingsing had any issues with shutdown or unexpected tilt back?  Still love my wheel.  Thanks.

@Casey, sounds like you had maximum tiltback.  If you can get your app connected try setting the speed limiter to a lower speed and accelerate like you did that time you got ejected and see if the tiltback is the same.  It might be stronger as there is more reserve, but the lower speed will not throw you off.  Good to know KS has such reserve power.  So far, at 40 miles on rough ground, but way softer than concrete, my ninebot one e+ has not shut off  but it has thrown me off a couple times at low speed from falling in to holes or hitting big bumps.  I guess it is all down to rider skill and experience.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

read the link, where we spoke about my crash in detail...sure the tiltback dont push me "up".... but it was so massive snd agressive i couldnt stand any more....

i have experienced lot of normal tiltbacks...no prob...they just give you a little sign of beeing to fast....

but if you cross the tiltback setting of 30kmh so very fast by overaccelerating from -lets say 27 to 35- by massive lean forward...the way more agressive it kicks in...andgives you a wobble back and forth that you are not able to react on it correctly...

easy way to test: set tiltback to 10 kmh and give full power acceleration......and see what it did to you ;-)

Thank you for the informative advice! Most of my tilt backs occur during downhill runs so i am already leaning slighy backwards to control my forward momentum. I just need to pay closer attention to my speed.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Cloud, i don't know how fast I was going, but it was fast.  I don't know because my wheel is from that batch you speak of.  I am trying to get connectivity again, but the only time I was able to talk to my wheel I think I set the speed at 28, 29 and 30. Fantastic machine.  

Rehab1, I didn't fall backwards, the tilt back caused a buck.  I still went forward but it was after being popped back and up a bit, according to my wife. My Mellon is fine.  

Edwin, ejector is spot on.  Great description.  Sorry that you have experienced the same type of flight.  

Sounds like your wife approves of your EUC hobby. Mine is not so thrilled and believes my mellon needs repaired.

6 hours ago, Cloud said:

I've experienced massive tiltback also as well as power cut offs, overleaning etc. it could be both, i think he had the tiltback and possible then the wheel dove and / or cut off. I just didn't think the tiltback can actually visibly throw you up in the air. Maybe i am just too heavy to be thrown up in the air lol. Whatever this was, one should never accelerate too fast especially at high speeds

Yes, rider weight should affect this behaviour. Someone very heavy will more likely get an overpower cutoff. I am lightweight and therefore just bounce off the tiltback. And because the Solowheel has a low top speed, I most times managed to simply land on my feet and run off the ejects, rather than land face to ground.

I've never had this problem with my KS16 thou, as I learned to be careful with accelerating by the time I bought it. SW was my 1st wheel. KS was my 3rd.

@KaleOsaurusRex

As I have a ks14c I am very interested in all the info available concerning this "firm ware flash tool" please.

And not sorry to post again, fast quick acceleration at already higher speeds just needs careful attention and PROTECTION.

I am well pleased that when I ask my EUC to go faster, like above 25 K/hr and hear my first beep at 28 second at 29 and continous at 30 with tilt back that it is gentle and have never had any issues.

But I have no interest to be above 25 K/hr and put the peddle to the metal knowing that is risky!

ukj

22 hours ago, Casey said:

Battery was 80% wheel was and is in great shape.  It is a KS14(c) 800w, 600+WH unit.  When I said I accelerated through the beeps, I meant that I was accelerating very fast, such that I heard a single and a double beep, but I didn't lean back quick enough after the double beep.  After the double beeps I was airborne.  Totally my fault.  I think it was a rapid tilt back instead of a shutdown for four reasons.  First, if my memory is right, it felt like getting bucked.  Second, the distance and trajectory of my flight was up and forward, not just a forward and down like a face plant.  Third, I didn't get a mark on my face, which is pretty much the opposite of the expected result of a shut down and killing of the gyro.  Finally, my wife saw the whole thing from behind me.  She said she thought I came backwards, then flew up and forward.

i am not complaining about the wheel.  I am not claiming that is unsafe.  Eleven stitches is not a bad crash for all of the fun I have had on my wheel.  I really like my wheel, except that the batch of wheels that shipped with mine all have app connectivity issues.  It is annoying in a car stereo not working sort of way, not in a ford pinto safety or Saab endless repair bill way.  It's a great wheel and I ride it beeping on this one straight stretch all the time.  I would just advise against exceeding that second set of beeps.  Oh, and I bought my wheel from a reputable dealer that has provided great service and guidance on dealing with app issue.

Hi,

Just read this update, as I'm connecting in order to post my last "flight" experience...

I ride my first wheel, a KS14C 800W/850Wh, since Xmas, got some 650km logged on it. Normal cruising speed is at about 20km/h+, with peeks at each ride up to 25-30kmh, pushing through the tilt back. As I always have that high peek speed, I thought, I just configure the tilt back at that speed and honor the tilt back warning for added security. Well I won't comment on the numbers, but I didn't feel like pushing through any tilt back during that ride, and I was shocked afterwards, seeing my top speed! Lesson learned, I reverted the settings to factory default, and try to be reasonable with the warnings...

So, last week, due to a change in work, I had the possibility to use the wheel for my daily commute. Last day, Friday, during the ride, I congratulated myself on how secure and natural all the riding did feel by now. Definitively the worst mistake ever!

Well, a couple of hundred meters before destination, a car passed honking, a college of mine... As I was cruising at about 20kmh, the first beep being at 21kmh, I thought I still got plenty of spare power, so I went for it... Accelerated with the idea to get quickly up to some 28kmh.

Next thing I know, I'm gliding on knees and palms, watching with an obscene interest my wheel, a couple of meters in front of me, spinning and jumping, still in the general direction, the walkway is about 1m large, it managed not to leave it! Still, by doing that, the trolley handle exploded into debris... I'm pretty sure, like 75%, that the thing did not beep before the acceleration, that I had to power off/power on the thing after the crash. Not sure about it, but I got the image of two bars related to a power off situation I never experienced before... About the situation, I rode some 5-6km that day at moderate speed, below the 21kmh beeps, battery was at 60% estimation and 6 bars, later I saw that CD2 was able to pump some 450wh into it, empty it's like 730wh.

Totally destroyed: trolley handle

Severe damage:  trouser (knee and left pocket), case for sunglasses (did it's job, those glasses are fine), backpack, elbow protectors

Medium damage: Front edge of the wheel case, lost some 3mm of material, the rest was protected by either the trolley, and the neopren top I installed (top souris, Decathlon), elbow protectors (should definitively be replaced, but did their job, no skin lost)

Scratches: palm protectors, knee protectors (mostly did their job, did slip a bit), corrective glasses (a couple of minor scratches in the glass itself), knee (the protectors were not the best, tiny and too loose, a minor scratch the size of a 1€ coin...)

Besides, the left shoulder hurt, got it radioed, nothing broken, but waiting for "tissue" examinations...

Thoughts:

I was thrown off before, actually got the wheel kicked out from under me by a cable I hit at a tight angle, but next thing I know, I was running.... Here, nothing! -> Overlean? Anyhow, in any situation where the wheel fell, I was able to either catch it or pick it up before it could turn itself off, this time was different.

The wheel somehow got in front of me (with the cable, it did that too though), probably while I was airborne. So, in order to get out from under me and my reach, during that short time it must have accelerated like crazy. My reasoning is, if it accelerated at that moment, it must still have been powered on! So why did it throw me of??? I suppose the batteries were unable to delivered the current it asked for and once the load, me, was off, the system mass was reduced to 15-20% for the same energy output!

I don't remember any tilt back, and that stupid high speed ride I did some time ago, I didn't feel any tilt back either. So I cannot believe there would have been an "ejector" tilt back...

Peek speed was 25kmh, guess that was my flight speed... Weight on the wheel, probably close to 100kg with all my garbage...

Be save, accelerate gentle

TGellan

@Tgellan

Normally you would have a warning if the batteries are unable to deliver the asked current...

I had this Situation on some steep hills, when Batterie was to low....beeping and warning me...

But can be the same here as with my tiltback flight...to fast acceleration, so that the wheel did not have the time for its normal warnings....

Even as you seam to be a heavy guy, also,  all we are doing over 20-23 kmh is at the max Level of this wheels.....specially under 50% battery.....

But the fast acceleration is the most fun, isn't it :-)

Glad to hear that you're okay and were wearing protective equipment.  Imagine how things would be like it you weren't!

I've been following people's crash stories on the board for quite some time, and it's a common theme where one sees someone they know or want to show off a little.  It usually ends up in disaster.

I think going at upper speeds and then asking for sudden acceleration to go faster easily overpowers the batteries so quickly the control board isn't able to issue warnings or have enough power to speed up to provide tiltback.  

Trying to think of an analogy imagine Hussain Bolt is pushing you on your EUC at 20 kph.  He's been  pushing behind you for a few kilometres already so he's a little tired, but he's got the speed down just right to balance your forwards lean so you don't fall over.  Now imagine if you lean more forwards quickly.  Hussain might not have that reserve energy to quickly compensate fast enough to catch you although he usually can from a stop or from slower speeds.  I have a feeling that it takes quite a burst of power to balance you out for high acceleration while going at speed than it does from a stop.

Try running forwards with a baseball bat balanced on the palm of your hand.  Now as you're running, have someone running with you give the bat a quick tap forwards and try to keep balancing it.  Do this also from a stand still to see what difference there is.

Short answer is while rolling at speed be careful as the reserve energy that your battery can quickly provide might not be enough as a lot of energy is already being used to keep you rolling at speed.  Now if EUC makers could install a reserve "burst" battery that only kicks in during sudden requests for power that might avoid some faceplants, but how practical that would be I'm not so sure of.  Maybe use a higher burst discharge pack to handle any power demand at any speed?

23 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sounds like your wife approves of your EUC hobby. Mine is not so thrilled and believes my mellon needs repaired.

The funny thing is, my wife just told me that I have to stop riding my wheel if we loose our insurance due to her job change. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2016 at 3:31 PM, Tgellan said:

Thoughts:

I was thrown off before, actually got the wheel kicked out from under me by a cable I hit at a tight angle, but next thing I know, I was running.... Here, nothing! -> Overlean? Anyhow, in any situation where the wheel fell, I was able to either catch it or pick it up before it could turn itself off, this time was different.

The wheel somehow got in front of me (with the cable, it did that too though), probably while I was airborne. So, in order to get out from under me and my reach, during that short time it must have accelerated like crazy. My reasoning is, if it accelerated at that moment, it must still have been powered on! So why did it throw me of??? I suppose the batteries were unable to delivered the current it asked for and once the load, me, was off, the system mass was reduced to 15-20% for the same energy output!

Hi,

I'm not sure it's really a technical issue, my broken F528 once passed in front of me because just after a slight bump, after accelerating it didn't cut power, but I lost my stability due to the bump, making me lean backwards slightly, so that my foot lost grip of the pedals, and because of the speed, the wheel continued it's acceleration and got in front of me.  I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I think all wheels can do this kind of thing, that's why I choose to get a wheel that cannot exceed a normal speed of 23kph instead of the HS ones. Speed is dangerous on EUC.

What I do not like here is that it looks like is passive acceptance that if you strongly accelerate there is no other way for the wheel that just either shut off or brutally tilt back because you brutally push forward

Well with my university theory schoolarship and 25 years of experience in the robotics, I lived through analogic to digital closed loop controllers and I can tell you that those are not at all the only options available !!

The most simple of all is that today any system can know in milliseconds it's status and can manage stupid commands before executing them !!

If I can manage only 1g acceleration and you ask 2g I'll give you 1g and that's it !!

If I'm near the tiltback speed and my safe response time is 100ms, I'll decelerate and limit the acceleration never mind how much you push forward, so that the system stays in control, it's industrial technology not science fiction, or NASA research

One should not have a blind faith in technology.

First, technology can't solve everything.

Second, some things are too expensive to solve to have small companies building niche devices solve them and keep a price tag enough people can afford.

I've heard of engine cuts even on a solowheel that costs twice as much as KS or GW, with half the range and half the speed.

Third, any answer containing "you just have to", or "it just needs", or "it's easy" is likely irrelevant, because if it were just that easy, then there would never be any car crash, plane crash, engine failure, electronic component frying, etc.

Now, there is design, and then there is quality, testing, and documenting, and it's all different.

My first wheel was an MCM2s. It has no tiltback, only beeps. In the box, I had a notice, saying very litterally (but in french): "when you hear 2 bips, slow down, or you will fall".

Some will say it's a design flaw not to have a tilt back. To me, it's a design choice, but since it's documented, and works according to what is documented, I'm fine with it.Obviously, it would not be if it cut at one beep.

These days, it looks like wheel makers no longer really test their wheels in real life conditions.

The result is that the GW MCM4HS can't really slow down in emergency without waving maddly to finally stop much further than you intended, ACMs have motherboard frying issues and shell defects, KS14C overheats easily, KS16B have pedal issues, KS18 have fuse and pedal arm friction issues.

So the hardware is getting worse, the software is mostly crap, and the documentation is not better: KS16B advertised max load 150Kg is a joke that could physically hurt people.

How much longer will we keep throwing money at wheel companies while quality does not seem to improve but worsen ?

I have given up the idea of buying a KS14C with a 840Wh battery, and I'm now back riding my old MCM2s :)

1 hour ago, EricGhost said:

What I do not like here is that it looks like is passive acceptance that if you strongly accelerate there is no other way for the wheel that just either shut off or brutally tilt back because you brutally push forward

Well with my university theory schoolarship and 25 years of experience in the robotics, I lived through analogic to digital closed loop controllers and I can tell you that those are not at all the only options available !!

The most simple of all is that today any system can know in milliseconds it's status and can manage stupid commands before executing them !!

If I can manage only 1g acceleration and you ask 2g I'll give you 1g and that's it !!

If I'm near the tiltback speed and my safe response time is 100ms, I'll decelerate and limit the acceleration never mind how much you push forward, so that the system stays in control, it's industrial technology not science fiction, or NASA research

Could you please say us "how" the wheel should react if you accelerate to much?

If i understand you correct...you want the wheel not to accelerate anymore? Limit acceleration?

Sorry, than you did not understand "self balancing wheels"...they just try to Keep the gyro in horizontal or better: They have to that...

If you lean Forward..the wheel HAS TO accelerate and go faster...if it does/would not do...you WILL faceplant....

So to stay in your words: If you ask for 2g and the wheel give you only 1g...the left 1g lets you eat dirt

So there is Technical Maximum the wheel can go and there is NO WAY to not accelerate it, if you-the Driver- pushed for acceleration....

A "tiltback" is a Kind of clever "warning" that you are near the wheel max...shure we can talk about a less "brutal" tiltback...but not about...then please do not accelerate.....

17 minutes ago, Reivax said:

One should not have a blind faith in technology.

technology is science to put faith and science togheter is nonsense

19 minutes ago, Reivax said:

First, technology can't solve everything.

obvious but to state an absolute does not mean one is in the rigth perspective, every day technology solves a few more problems and even if more appears doesn't mean one shall stop to evolve. There is no end to the worst or the better, this is an absolute true statement and so? does not mean we have to stay still 

24 minutes ago, Reivax said:

Third, any answer containing "you just have to", or "it just needs", or "it's easy" is likely irrelevant, because if it were just that easy, then there would never be any car crash, plane crash, engine failure, electronic component frying, etc.

Thank to taking care of the technical issues today compared to 50 years ago, with a much larger worlwide population of cars, planes, and so on there are less crash in %, again if there is a solution where safety of people is involved one must work on it, or soon or later the law will require that you work on it if you want to stay in business !!!!

2 hours ago, EricGhost said:

Unfortunately that cannot by applied in EUCs as the main principle is to keep rider balanced / standing up and if the rider leans way too much the limited torque / speed response will result in faceplant :(

32 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Could you please say us "how" the wheel should react if you accelerate to much?

If i understand you correct...you want the wheel not to accelerate anymore? Limit acceleration?

Sorry, than you did not understand "self balancing wheels"...they just try to Keep the gyro in horizontal or better: They have to that...

If you lean Forward..the wheel HAS TO accelerate and go faster...if it does/would not do...you WILL faceplant....

So to stay in your words: If you ask for 2g and the wheel give you only 1g...the left 1g lets you eat dirt

So there is Technical Maximum the wheel can go and there is NO WAY to not accelerate it, if you-the Driver- pushed for acceleration....

A "tiltback" is a Kind of clever "warning" that you are near the wheel max...shure we can talk about a less "brutal" tiltback...but not about...then please do not accelerate.....

Well thanks to clarify to me that the gyro is in the closed loop of the controller and the main one, how silly of me not to know it!!

So for you acceleration, speed and stabilization of the horizontal plane must go toghether if my center of gravity (COG) goes forward only speed keeps me up ?

The momentum to fall forward is balance by speed/acceleration ?

Well when I switch it on I cannot turn down the wheel in static, so the gyro is stabilized without speed or acceleration it compensate wheel weigth, when I jump on it without pushing it's stable. What I believe is that there is a controller for the gyro and one that manage the command which is COG forward or COG backward.

Another issue you're, your body is a closed loop system as soon as you will perceive a lack of response you'll react, it's how you learn to stay on the wheel, once you learn it your body compensate automatically much more than your cognitive brain perceive it, if you do not feel a response you'll stop pushing forward automatically believe me

10 minutes ago, EricGhost said:

technology is science to put faith and science togheter is nonsense

Which is exactly why I'm saying one should not do it. So, try not to ;)

13 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Absolutely. People seem to refuse to believe that. Which I call blind faith in technology.

7 minutes ago, HEC said:

Unfortunately that cannot by applied for EUCs as the main principle is to keep rider balanced / standing up and if the rider leans way to much the limited torque / speed response will result in faceplant :(

Absolutely. At some point, balancing a 70 to 120 kg rider can require just a bit more power than is available... Something has to give, and whatever it is, the result will be the same.

If it were not, due to "superior design" it would mean there was enough energy available (or usable). Okay, but energy is not infinite, so what if a little more was then required ? Or a little more then again ?

14 minutes ago, EricGhost said:

Well thanks to clarify to me that the gyro is in the closed loop of the controller and the main one, how silly of me not to know it!!

So for you acceleration, speed and stabilization of the horizontal plane must go toghether if my center of gravity goes forward only speed keeps me up ?

First...you do not have to be personaly confronted or ironic! No reason!

And yeah...Exactly...it is just the same like you will "overlean"....if you push hard Forward...the wheel MUST accelerate! Otherwise you fall over...and the wheel can not stay horizontal! There is no "neutral" behaving and stabilizing in the same Moment possible.

That's how all "self balancing" Units works...segway, hoverboards, Eucs...very easy logic...it's just not possible to give "no or less acceleration than asked" ...thats also why on "weak motor" wheels they collapse so often even on litte overleaning...

If you dont believe me: Ask the other experts here!

11 minutes ago, EricGhost said:

Another issue you're, your body is a closed loop system as soon as you will perceive a lack of response you'll react, it's how you learn to saty on the wheel, once you learn it your body compensate automatically much more than your cognitive brain perceive it, if you do not feel a response you'll stop pushing forward automatically believe me

That would be nice if we are that fast...but we are not...if so...we would not have any faceplants to overlean.....Everybody would "recognize" his overlean!

Btw.: on the "link" you gave above.... my faceplant on 33kmh was dicussed...and yes, the tiltback was to "brutal" for me to stay on the wheel....

But fact is: I have massive leaned into the wheel at 25-28 kmh (stupid, yes) but if the wheel would have NOT accelerated and did not even go over 30 kmh, that would have the absolute same effect like massive "overlean"...and i would have also faceplanted....

21 minutes ago, Reivax said:

Absolutely. At some point, balancing a 70 to 120 kg rider can require just a bit more power than is available... Something has to give, and whatever it is, the result will be the same.

So let's go to the limit, I switch my wheel on and let's say there is no energy to stabilize statically my weigth.

As soon as I jump on it and then it beeps and  fold .

This is the worst scenario and the system limit you fall from static due to an initial point zero situation not known to the sistem, better than the 30Kmh

If you have a bit more energy the system will keep you up but it will beep and will not move forward because it knows it cannot perform the task, and again you'll feel the insatbility and jump down

35 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

And yeah...Exactly...it is just the same like you will "overlean"....if you push hard Forward...the wheel MUST accelerate! Otherwise you fall over...and the wheel can not stay horizontal! There is no "neutral" behaving and stabilizing in the same Moment possible.

Sorry if I do not believe it, when you switch the wheel on the gyro is stabilized and no acceleration is involved

But let's say it MUST accelerate but how much? this is the issue here !

Moving the COG fwd or bwd is the command for acceleration and by consequence speed variation but stabilization is always on, for sure with the same quick fwd cog on different wheels you'll get different accelerations, or not, but the same stabilization and if a wheel gives you half an acceleration of another wheel you'll not fall down because it just half accelerate.

What I'm saying is that is possible to correlate system status/available energy with system performance, in almost  real time (of course if you jump from the wheel front first nothing to do) so that you can perceive the limits you're pushing, which is much better than going after my crazy command till the last moment and then shut down or throw me away

A simple temptative is the today KS16 of reducing automatically the max speed based on Voltage , this is a simple proportional math, but today it is possible to do much more.

I accept more that there could be a costing issue because industrial can mean something like 10000$ of card controller

Archived