Jump to content
egress123

Ninebot One E+ shut off in the middle of riding.

Recommended Posts

Hi there.

I recently bought a new Ninebot One E+.  I currently own Inmotion V8 and am aware that E+ has lower specifications.

On my first ride, I was going uphill and possibly pushed it too hard (and I was wearing the earmuffs so I might have not heard the beeping), and it suddenly just turned off.  I think I was going about 13 miles an hour.  Needless to say, I suffered few bruises.  

 

Is this normal?  has anyone else experienced the same?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, egress123 said:

Hi there.

I recently bought a new Ninebot One E+.  I currently own Inmotion V8 and am aware that E+ has lower specifications.

On my first ride, I was going uphill and possibly pushed it too hard (and I was wearing the earmuffs so I might have not heard the beeping), and it suddenly just turned off.  I think I was going about 13 miles an hour.  Needless to say, I suffered few bruises.  

 

Is this normal?  has anyone else experienced the same?

 

Sounds like you pushed it beyond the speed limit.  It isn't all that powerful and if you were pushing it up a hill it could cut off.  Don't push those entry level wheels, they have very little power and not so forgiving at the top end.  I used my C+ only for learning.  Then quickly bought a better wheel for my general riding.  

Edited by eddiemoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Sounds like you pushed it beyond the speed limit.  It isn't all that powerful and if you were pushing it up a hill it could cut off.  Don't push those entry level wheels, they have very little power and not so forgiving at the top end.  I used my C+ only for learning.  Then quickly bought a better wheel for my general riding.  

That’s what I thought.  Thanks for the response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much do you weigh?

You were riding at pretty much the top speed and if you accelerated uphill at top speed it could be possible.

I weigh 68kg and no matter how much I push my E+ it always punishes me and pushes me back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, egress123 said:

 

Is this normal?  has anyone else experienced the same?

It is very normal, please be aware that E+ has only 30 cells and 500W motor. Moreover -  BMS in E+ has the tendency to "save" the battery when overpowered and switch power off.

Beware of riding cold wheel (taken out from the trunk after autumn cold night for example )  as if the temperature of the cell is below 10 Celsius its ability to provide current is much decreased.  E+ is only for learning/children or slow stable ride on the flat/slightly uphill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am new to the forum but I actually just made a account because I have the same problem that I never expected to be having.

Bought a used e+ with 235 ish kms on it running firmware 1.4.0  and in the last 30 kms it has powered off completely while riding twice. Once up a hill. Probably 12-15 km hour speed ( about 45% ish battery) and another time on flat after 3 hours slower pace riding stop and go at 12 ish km half battery as well.

Both times I luckily ran off safely but neither times could the wheel be turned on again in my case till plugged into wall charger it was just one long beep than dead.

Hopefully we can figure why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A month ago I bought the same E+  , And happened Twice , Now going to 

shoulder surgery. Unacceptable !! I bought it brand New , and travelled only 31 Kilometers , and on the last crash had 57% remaining battery and 15 kilometers of autonomy . 

I still can't believe how I spoiled my shoulder in such a stupid way !! Still claiming to know what happened , waiting for Ninebot to Answer or tell me the reason , I did everything as directed on owner's manual , and what I learned in the tutorials . I never had a fall , except the two times it went off , without any advice , No beeps , absolutely anything prior the abrupt Stop !! Complete deception. 

Till now didn't get the reason why did happen ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 2:57 PM, egress123 said:

Hi there.

I recently bought a new Ninebot One E+.  I currently own Inmotion V8 and am aware that E+ has lower specifications.

On my first ride, I was going uphill and possibly pushed it too hard (and I was wearing the earmuffs so I might have not heard the beeping), and it suddenly just turned off.  I think I was going about 13 miles an hour.  Needless to say, I suffered few bruises.  

 

Is this normal?  has anyone else experienced the same?

 

It happened to me Twice , going without earmuffs , No Beeping , and going to shoulder Surgery next week . Still can't believe it !!!! Waiting for an explanation , waiting to understand what and why happened. Remaining battery 57% , and autonomy left 15 Kilometers !!!!!  Incredible !!!! and unacceptable !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 4:29 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

How much do you weigh?

You were riding at pretty much the top speed and if you accelerated uphill at top speed it could be possible.

I weigh 68kg and no matter how much I push my E+ it always punishes me and pushes me back. 

I bought a new One E+ , and with only 31 Kms. and 57% of the charge it happened Twice !! Going to shoulder Surgery next week. Unacceptable !! 

Edited by Fernando Llambias
I weight 85 Kilograms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds quite familiar to me. The NB1E+ was/is still my learner wheel for ~1000 km and has had its former benefits like the Volkswagen beetle - reliable at its time and providing mobility to the masses :efee47c9c8: but outdated now at all... even if design and build quality might still be great. But if you treat it like its air cooled, rear wheel drive precedessor it could give you some good times though. But sorry to hear that you got injuries from its disabilities. Hope that you will get well soon.

What might have helped (if you don´t want to skip the wheel from disappointment) is a battery upgrade available from various stores. This buffers peak currents much more better than the original 320 Wh pack and could prevail such issues. I did it on my unit and also applied a firmware conversion to the 1.4.3 P model release with a maximum speed of 28 km/h. Yet I am always aware of the insufficient design. But honestly you are throwing good money after bad if you rethink the value of the unit.

BTW: Beeing aware of those thoughts I ordered a Z10 from Aliexpress today to get rid of those issues finally.  Towards November 11th seems to be a big discount battle in China and there are some really good offers on wheels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fernando Llambias said:

It happened to me Twice , going without earmuffs , No Beeping , and going to shoulder Surgery next week . Still can't believe it !!!! Waiting for an explanation , waiting to understand what and why happened. Remaining battery 57% , and autonomy left 15 Kilometers !!!!!  Incredible !!!! and unacceptable !!

More information would be helpful to make an educated guess about the reason why this happened: what was the riders weight? How fast did you go? Did you accelerate or brake? Did you go uphill or downhill? What were the road surface conditions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@litewave what firmware did you use for most/all of that 7000 kms?

@Mono I have also had the cutoff. Going about 12km/h on flat at 50 percent battery. Weight 185 lbs. Checked by app after plugging in. While riding was jus all fine then Long beep Dead unit. Wont turn back on till plugged in.

Similar story with my other uphill crash. 12-15 km/h around half battery and cut off dead till plugged in.

Both times happened in consistent speed cruising no abrupt leaning/stopping. Let me know if I can add anything else. Maybe this firmware is just garbage and I should get old firmware. In my research that seems to be the best option for reliability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fox said:

@litewave what firmware did you use for most/all of that 7000 kms?

@Mono I have also had the cutoff. Going about 12km/h on flat at 50 percent battery. Weight 185 lbs. Checked by app after plugging in. While riding was jus all fine then Long beep Dead unit. Wont turn back on till plugged in.

Similar story with my other uphill crash. 12-15 km/h around half battery and cut off dead till plugged in.

Both times happened in consistent speed cruising no abrupt leaning/stopping. Let me know if I can add anything else. Maybe this firmware is just garbage and I should get old firmware. In my research that seems to be the best option for reliability.

I have used 1.4.0 for more than 7,000km of the 7,200+km driven thusfar.

Sorry to hear about your cut-off. I'd replace the battery, then the control board if it happens again.

Edited by litewave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, litewave said:

I have used 1.4.0 for more than 7,000km of the 7,200+km driven thusfar.

Sorry to hear about your cut-off. I'd replace the battery, then the control board if it happens again.

 

Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.  -  Morpheus

Six hours after my last post, I experienced my second faceplant ever, 2.5 years after my first. This time it was ashpalt, not grass, and my trusty Ninebot One E+ with 7200+km shut off on me, just as @Fernando Llambias and @Fox described. I can happily report that I walked away without a scratch or bruise, however, thanks to my safety gear:

  • TSG Pass Pro
  • Pilot Motorsport Direct Motorcycle Jacket w/ all pads
  • Demon Flexmeter wristguards (double-sided)
  • Troy Lee KG5450 Knee/shin guards
  • ASO Ankle Stabilizers
  • Redwing steel-toed work boots

I was cruising steadily through a residential parking lot at 12-13mph or so and --- BAM. Since I was carrying my dry cleaning with both arms raised to chest level, I landed on my elbows, wrists and shoulders, and then banged the chin and faceshield of my helmet. The gear worked perfectly, as it should. When I picked myself up, I was elated that I was not in the middle of a busy intersection or business parking lot or underneath a semi, and I felt and still now feel fine. My jeans and jacket sleeve were roughed up, but the TSG survived without even a nick. The toe of my right boot was shaved a bit, but my dress shirts came through with only a few light wrinkles!

The temperature was a frosty 1deg C (34deg F); wind chill was about -6C/22F. The wheel would not turn on after I rose to my feet, and I had to lug it the rest of the way. Once home, I pulled the battery (I have the quickmod cover, so it takes 30 seconds), and swapped in an identical 340wh battery (P model from SpeedyFeet), both of which are less than three months old. The wheel turned on and was happy. So I then replaced the first battery, and it powered back on again, and showed 49%. Hmmmm.

I should say that I had recently swapped in a 'new' control board (the first one is fine and performing flawlessly in another wheel) as I was planning to do the Ninebot speed upgrade hack (nod to @MRN76 and @GMOne), but I'll postpone that for a while. The new board has about 300km on it now; I'll inspect it later but doubt I'll find anything. I do recall that the new board looked a bit different than my original 2.5 year-old model, so more on that later. For now, I'm suspicious this was a BMS/battery/board failure, as I have ridden in cold weather at this speed in two winters prior on my three other E+ 320wh batteries.

So, I am eating a bit of crow but grateful to live and ride again another day.

Edited by litewave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MRN76 said:

@litewave Ninebot One E you can increase the speed of bluetooth.

I think you may have meant;  ...you can increase the speed "through" bluetooth.  Or "with" bluetooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

"through" bluetooth

Yes. My English is bad(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRN76 said:

Yes. My English is bad(

Don´t mind, you did really great work with your firmware conversion programm for other users. Helped me a lot to increase top speed of my learner wheel, thank you very much again! I had to go the hard way with JTAG programmer and mainboard soldering. It´s interesting to hear that there is a bluetooth solution avialable.

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2018 at 6:30 AM, Mono said:

More information would be helpful to make an educated guess about the reason why this happened: what was the riders weight? How fast did you go? Did you accelerate or brake? Did you go uphill or downhill? What were the road surface conditions?

My weight is 85 kilograms ,I was going at constant speed on flat surface , going through wood deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fernando Llambias said:

My weight is 85 kilograms ,I was going at constant speed on flat surface , going through wood deck.

Seems an unlikely place for a failure under the conditions you describe.  Only thing is maybe a tire slip. Dry conditions I take it?  Without a black-box recording everything, I don't think anyone could say why.  It's too bad all wheels don't log everything so that any incident can be analyzed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same accident happened to me on Ninebot 1 E+ 1 month ago. I had had warning signs the day before (battery died when supposed to still have 9km autonomy). I figured I had not charged it well but the truth is that my unit was 3.5 years old and even though I had not ridden it a lot it was probably getting old.

Following day in the morning commuting to the office (in NYC) I was riding on a (fortunately) empty street and after having come down of a small speed bump (which I passed slowly) I started accelerating and the  unit just died without a beep or a warning. Other than a helmet I did not have protective gear but the helmet saved my life because my head banged the asphalt pretty hard. I hurt my wrist and knees pretty bad though

The e+ never restarted and I got rid off it as I think it had become dangerous. 

I ordered a Z10 and received it 2 days ago! I was so excited. But I got a faulty unit and it does not charge so I had to send it back. I hope the z10 (if it works) will be less at a risk of total failure than the e+

Edited by Emmanuel Schalit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...