Dualtron penetration in US market

dwallersv

I just got a Thunder about 3 weeks ago, and an Ultra will be showing up at the door direct from Minimotors SK in the next week (a story of jonesing, ask and I might tell it :-))

Kinda putting the cart before the horse, I'm just now getting a fuller picture of the bigger social/cultural aspects of the product/brand, and it seems to me there aren't many of them here in the US. the II variations, especially the EX, seem to be more numerous, but still pretty rare.

Is this correct? Is Dualtron very new to the market? It's been hard finding lots of good information, and aftermarket parts/mods/info in the US. Most of what I've been able to find has been from SK and Singapore.

Anyway, just curious about this, and any comments or knowledge about Minimotors Dualtron line and its share of the US market.

Aside, the reason I ended up with a Thunder (and soon an Ultra too) was because I had to have the most powerful scooter made when I decided to get one. I've been too disappointed by underpowered things too many times in my 56 years. That's the way I roll :-)

The Thunder is a beast! Been 55mph on it. That will be the one and only time :dribble:

• Like 2

Yup, 55mph, one and one time only. Lucky my underwear made through clean :-) Had to see what it could do. That was on a flat straightaway.

I'm a 25 year old trapped in a 56 year old body. Since I got the thunder I've gained the following experience in 3 weeks:

• Scared the piss out of myself going 55mph, seeing what it could do.
  • Out-accelerate cars from stop lights. One guy in a Pinto yesterday wanted to race me. I'm not kidding. I beat him.
  • Get around on it all over the place, traveling with traffic, 35-40.
  • Bounced off the pavement on the left side of my ribcage turning too tight in a parking lot going about 4mph. Cracked rib. Stupid and still riding.
  • Had the back wheel off 3 times now. I'm an expert. One flat, repaired, using screwdrivers instead of properly sized tire irons/spoons. messed of the bead, tubeless tire won't seal good now, leaks flat over 2-3 days. Replaced the entire wheel. Good again.
  • Spill in the parking lot hit the handlebar hard, shook loose a solder joint on the steering tube bling. Took it apart, was testing under power, fried the light bling controller board. Got a replacement and installed it from minimotorsusa.com.
  • Deck wide enough to stand feet side-by-side with a little room to spare.
  • BUILT LIKE A TANK. I don't think I could handle anything "less" now... I'm spoiled. Have a Qiewa Q1 Hummer, which I thought was a beefy scooter before I got the Dualtron. The Qiewa now seems like it was assembled from flimsy junkyard scrap by comparison, and now just doesn't feel safe after riding 200 miles or so on the Dualtron. And, of course, the Qiewa, which at 800W single motor and actual riding experience, seems pretty powerful. Feels like a Razor E100 to me now.

I'll shoot some 360 with the Rylo this weekend and post it.

BTW, this is what I use to haul my crap around while riding, love it!

16-10100-01-tour-main-heritageblack_1_.j
Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack

Truth be told, that's actually my "man bag", as I just have too much crap to carry around these days, and use this all the time, not just for riding.

• Like 1

I'm happy for you. I had a Dualtron for a few months and loved it! The downside for me was that the area I live in is not well maintained and beat my scooter to hell. I ended up with 10 flat tires over the course of a month and a half. I sold it because the cost of maintenance was exceeding the expected cost. I hope you and no one else ever experiences what I went through. I will most likely buy another one in about 10 years. I'll wait for road conditions to get better and stronger, more reliable scooters to come into the market.

@Esper I read your entire thread... what a trial! I'm glad I came across it after I had made the purchase and ridden 100 miles or so, I might not have bought it.

Sounds like your situation was more the exception than the rule. What an awful experience!

Note I've had a flat of my own, and failed to completely fix it properly because I lacked the correct tools to mount/dismount the tire (Thunder has a one-piece rim that can be removed from the motor, tubeless tires). I was going to try again with some bead-sealer, but could get a new wheel (rim+tire) overnight for $85 so I just bit the bullet to get back up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

The founder of Minimotors used to ride motorcycle, I am talking about KAWASAKI 1000cc up motorcycle, and yes he tunes the electric kick scooter the way he used to tune his motorcycle.

I am a rep of Minimotors in Taiwan, hello everyone!

https://www.escootertaiwan.com/dualtron-video

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:50 AM, dwallersv said:

I just got a Thunder about 3 weeks ago, and an Ultra will be showing up at the door direct from Minimotors SK in the next week (a story of jonesing, ask and I might tell it :-))

Kinda putting the cart before the horse, I'm just now getting a fuller picture of the bigger social/cultural aspects of the product/brand, and it seems to me there aren't many of them here in the US. the II variations, especially the EX, seem to be more numerous, but still pretty rare.

Is this correct? Is Dualtron very new to the market? It's been hard finding lots of good information, and aftermarket parts/mods/info in the US. Most of what I've been able to find has been from SK and Singapore.

Anyway, just curious about this, and any comments or knowledge about Minimotors Dualtron line and its share of the US market.

Aside, the reason I ended up with a Thunder (and soon an Ultra too) was because I had to have the most powerful scooter made when I decided to get one. I've been too disappointed by underpowered things too many times in my 56 years. That's the way I roll :-)

The Thunder is a beast! Been 55mph on it. That will be the one and only time :dribble:

Dualtron is truly made for speed junkies, you can do modifications to make it go 80mph! My team and I did it up on Dualtron Ultra and recorded 82mph. 

Cheers from Singapore

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 3:29 AM, DTFans said:

I'm from Singapore and recently just moved to Los Angeles. Let me know if you needed anything with minor modifications or 3rd party custom parts.

Thanks @DTFans! I'll keep that in mind.

I'm an engineer (EE, with some formal ME), so I work on everything myself. Right now I have a silly project I'm slowly getting done in spare time to replace the vanilty lighting strips with WS2812B individually addressable (meaning, each LED can be set to it's own color/brightness) light strips,  controlled by a ESP8266. This will allow the lights to be controlled via wifi from a smartphone application. I should have something to post and show off in a few weeks, or around the new year, depending on how much time I have to focus on it.

Here's an example of what can be done with this setup, a YT video I made a few years ago when I was just experimenting with this stuff for some interior trim lighting for my Focus ST. BTW (brag) the GUI shown on the controlling display was written by me entirely in Javascript for the Espruino microcontroller system.

Edited by dwallersv

To be honest, I wouldn't want to see widespread enthusiast e-scooter penetration in America.  They'd regulate the scooters so badly and make it a real pain to enjoy anything remotely powerful.

Use the e-scooter scene in Singapore as a baseline.

• Like 1

Good point Ben. I've followed Jamie Lim's saga a bit on Youtube since I found the Dualtron line, and it's horrible what's happened in Singapore. Basically, there's no market there any more for a Dualtron-class machine with the new restrictions in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Dualtrons are

On 10/24/2018 at 10:37 AM, FabulousJason said:

Dualtron is truly made for speed junkies, you can do modifications to make it go 80mph! My team and I did it up on Dualtron Ultra and recorded 82mph. 

Cheers from Singapore

Hi jason haha. If only they can see what we have in Singapore. 

3 hours ago, Alien Rides said:

I've seen it and it looks amazing, I just don't have the know how to do so haha. How do we make a Thunder do 80 mph? ;-)

3 components. 

1) battery (voltage)

2) controller (amps)

3) motor( watts)

basically you need to have the know how to build a custom battery. Preferably 72v and above. The batteries you select must produce enough discharge for your controllers. 

The stock ultra controllers are 40A each but we usually use minimum 50a or more for each controller. 

Then comes your motor, you have to procure custom built motors that can take in the power generated from your batteries and controllers and produce work. 

Once you do this you no longer care if you are riding a dualtron thunder, ultra or limited. The frame is just the frame. What you put inside is more important. 

Of course that is just the basics. You still need to know how to wire everything up so that it works. I guess that is the wonder of living in Singapore. Where we have many people who can do up the scooters beautifully and in a handsome manner. 

75EC54BF-0C4D-47E6-A334-ED71D06B86D8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Heh, you Singaporeans taught me a lot.  I DIYed the parallel setup (17.5Ah x2) on my Spider, and now want to upgrade to Thunder controllers (to retain the stock HUD) and motors wound for higher top speed.  

23 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Heh, you Singaporeans taught me a lot.  I DIYed the parallel setup (17.5Ah x2) on my Spider, and now want to upgrade to Thunder controllers (to retain the stock HUD) and motors wound for higher top speed.  

Enjoy the dualtron! I miss those days!