insta360 x latest edition ?

stephen

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Some interesting tidbits I haven’t heard before on these 2 cameras, like GoPro parting ways with their former software division Kolor possibly affecting future Fusion FW updates, and desktop One X stitching taking significantly less time than Fusion Studio:

Unfortunately, just like our wheels, there's no perfect 360 camera. I so much prefer the workflow and feature set of the Insta360 cameras. But wow, I'd love to have the low-light capabilities of the Fusion. I hate grainy, noisy video, and that's what comes out of the Insta360.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not very useful, I admit, but can this camera be used just for rear viewing in a smartphone while wheeling ? The trick would mainly be the method to have the convenient reverse view, as this is not an option of the Insta360 software !

Edited by sbouju

My Insta 360 One X Venture case just arrived and a quick rudimentary test indicates both of the case’s lenses have refined optics that hopefully will minimize graininess or distortion.  

The 2 photos below depict the same graphic positioned beneath the Venture case. One shows the image beneath the 2 lense’s field of view and the other shot through the transparent plastic case.  The image taken through the lenses clearly depicts an optic refinement incorporated into the case that preserves the image. 

Image taken though plastic housing

45986423251_ebefb763ee_b.jpg

Below is the image taken through lenses. No loss on clarity. 

45986423231_6f24ca1f1f_b.jpg

The Insta360 X Venture case manual also mandates that after capturing and downloading the images/video you must select <Stitch for Dive/Venture Case> and then choose <Venture Case> to apply stitching settings. 

I’ll learn more Friday about indications of any lense distortion when I have a chance to test the system while recording with and w/o the case. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

My Insta 360 One X Venture case just arrived and a quick rudimentary test indicates both of the case’s lenses have refined optics that hopefully will minimize graininess or distortion.  

The 2 photos below depict the same graphic positioned beneath the Venture case. One shows the image beneath the 2 lense’s field of view and the other shot through the transparent plastic case.  The image taken through the lenses clearly depicts an optic refinement incorporated into the case that preserves the image. 

The Insta360 X Venture case manual also mandates that after capturing and downloading the images/video you must select <Stitch for Dive/Venture Case> and then choose <Venture Case> to apply stitching settings. 

I’ll learn more Friday about indications of any lense distortion when I have a chance to test the system while recording with and w/o the case. 

It's not about the optical clarity. It's about the physics of lens design. The lens is optimized to image without any additional refractive surfaces in front of it. Adding a curved additional surface negatively impacts the performance, especially for a dome with those characteristics.

48 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Could i please ask where you bought the insta case as insta store still not showing in stock

1 hour ago, stephen said:

Could i please ask where you bought the insta case as insta store still not showing in stock

I ordered directly from the insta store. I was on a waiting list and received an email notification last week that there was a limited stock available so I jumped on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

It's not about the optical clarity. It's about the physics of lens design. The lens is optimized to image without any additional refractive surfaces in front of it. Adding a curved additional surface negatively impacts the performance, especially for a dome with those characteristics.

With your knowledge of optics if there are any tests you would like performed please let me know and I will try to oblige. I am curious about the image quality myself. 

39 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

With your knowledge of optics if there are any tests you would like performed please let me know and I will try to oblige. I am curious about the image quality myself. 

Do you have a Trioptics HR tester? 😜

Edited by Jon Stern

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I believe you already know the answer.

If the only way to notice the difference between the Insta with and without protection is to use a Trioptics HR tester then I'll be going with the protection, especially since I suspect most of the people who view my stuff don't have an HR tester either.:)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

If the only way to notice the difference between the Insta with and without protection is to use a Trioptics HR tester then I'll be going with the protection, especially since I suspect most of the people who view my stuff don't have an HR tester either.:)

Well, there's the subjective testing path of capturing a fixed scene containing fine details (like grass texture), in good illumination (so noise reduction isn't messing with the results), and at >1 meter distance, with, and without, the case.

Comparing 200% zoomed crops of a small region at the center (on axis) of one lens and at corners (~180 degrees), for both shooting cases will reveal any change in MTF.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I ordered directly from the insta store. I was on a waiting list and received an email notification last week that there was a limited stock available so I jumped on it. 

Got my Venture Case today too. (I've also been waiting for the Drifter, GPS remote and battery kit.) Very impressed with the build and optics, based solely on my "built in" sensors. We've got a big ride this Saturday in San Francisco (https://www.facebook.com/events/189374801897189/ if you can join us!), looking forward to shooting in the field with the X with and without the case.

I plan to use the X for both creative/cinematic and safety/daily/"dash-cam" recording purposes. I'm hopeful the Venture Case won't impair the quality, but even if it does, I'm willing to trade some quality for MUCH more durability during my dash-cam style usage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

40 minutes ago, who_the said:

I plan to use the X for both creative/cinematic and safety/daily/"dash-cam" recording purposes. I'm hopeful the Venture Case won't impair the quality, but even if it does, I'm willing to trade some quality for MUCH more durability during my dash-cam style usage.

Considering the cost of the X and the recent unfortunate mishap with  @Marty Backe’s Insta360 I plan to use the Venture case during my rides unless  image degradation is irrefutably present where it impacts the perceptual quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one of these up for use in our shop, we will be putting it on some remote controlled planes. I became interested after seeing some footage from a Rylo 360. I debated the Rylo, but the decider was the high price for lens damage on the Rylo. I think it is only a matter of time before we manage to damage the lens on one of these. This is actually a real issue with these 360 cameras. The GoPro is just too bulky for our needs.

The other day one of my customers was visiting the shop and I thought h might be interested. He is 84 years old and used to be an engineer at Kodak back in the glory days of that company. Let's just say he knows a lot about optics, and he  is still getting pattends and is currently working a deal with Dolby Labs and some others. Interesting guy. Anyhow, he noted the optic design before I could even tell him what it was. He stated that it was an unfortunate design that will will rely on software to fix glare issues. Sure enough, that is a weakness of this camera. When I turned it on and showed him what is does he was impressed with the quality of the stitching and the overall quality of the image. (I'm sure the optics of the camera are done the way they are on purpose, not a mistake!)

After light use, I can say that the resolution is just too low for anything of much quality, but for Youtube or lower quality, they are acceptable. They have some cool features, and these are the saving grace. For simple setup, it is like have multiple low res cameras on the scene. The stabilization seems to be getting better and better with the software updates.

I do think this will be a future for cameras, especially action cams, but for now, I think they still need to get better. I am pleased with the performance for the price for my intended use. Also, out in public, people don't seem to really notice it as a camera. In terms of image quality, you are much better off with a 4K Go Pro or similar "limited view" camera, but now you need to work all of the different angles when shooting, and probably add some stabilization filtering to the video.

Not bad really.. I do think they will get better in the coming years. As people see footage from these 360 cameras, they do become very interested in the tech and possibilities, so I think we will see a lot of growth in the near future. 

I do think this would be a cool security camera. :)

1 hour ago, rotozuk said:

Let's just say he knows a lot about optics, and he  is still getting pattends and is currently working a deal with Dolby Labs and some others. Interesting guy. Anyhow, he noted the optic design before I could even tell him what it was. He stated that it was an unfortunate design that will will rely on software to fix glare issues. Sure enough, that is a weakness of this camera. When I turned it on and showed him what is does he was impressed with the quality of the stitching and the overall quality of the image. (I'm sure the optics of the camera are done the way they are on purpose, not a mistake!)

What's his name, may I ask?

What part of the Insta360 One X lens design was he referring to? A dual-lens 360 camera has some fundamental characteristics that make glare a challenge. In the Insta360 One X case, they use folded optics to get the short lens vertex to vertex separation. That adds some additional changes when it comes to controlling optical ghosts. I wonder which characteristic he was referring to?