insta360 x latest edition ?

stephen

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Stitching lines are there if you look for them.  Some are just more obvious.  It also depends on the lighting condition like you mentioned.  

Yes, even the Fusion has stitch lines, but the severity of it is the issue. 

Right now it's way too easy to see the stitch lines on the Insta360 One X compared to the Fusion, but the Fusion has had a whole year up on firmware updates, so I know this will get fixed.

But for now, for me personally, I'm gonna hold off on buying the X until this, the stabilization, and the red dot issues are confirmed solved, as this video is not usable IMHO.

Edited by houseofjob

31 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, even the Fusion has stitch lines, but the severity of it is the issue. 

Right now it's way too easy to see the stitch lines on the Insta360 One X compared to the Fusion, but the Fusion has had a whole year up on firmware updates, so I know this will get fixed.

But for now, for me personally, I'm gonna hold off on buying the X until this, the stabilization, and the red dot issues are confirmed solved, as this video is not usable IMHO.

it would be interesting to see how software can/will improve image/ stich qualities. I shot a video with fusion at night to see how it come out and the stiching was all over the place, so apparently it has more to do with software and recognition of what was recorded than the build in gyroscope.

The other component is optic, and Gopro likely will have a leg up here since they had more experiences. I noticed that there are a lot more lens flare in the Insta360 X footage I saw, and it still have difficulties dealing with shooting directly at the sun, not sure if these things can be corrected via software.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

it would be interesting to see how software can/will improve image/ stich qualities. I shot a video with fusion at night to see how it come out and the stiching was all over the place, so apparently it has more to do with software and recognition of what was recorded than the build in gyroscope.

Yes, the stitch is all about the software it seems, so there might even be a difference between Insta360 mobile stitch vs Insta360 desktop stitch (plus different OS versions as well).

I've been meaning to test out a night-time video on my Fusion, I'll see if mine fares any better, or if there are any tricks to night time shooting with the Fusion.

28 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

I noticed that there are a lot more lens flare in the Insta360 X footage I saw, and it still have difficulties dealing with shooting directly at the sun, not sure if these things can be corrected via software.

Oh yeah, that was another problem with this early Insta360 One X firmware, shown in this comparison vid. That, plus shooting in low light at electronic billboards, where the GoPro Fusion picks out more detail than the X currently (sure to change).

ok guys I'll do a couple of vids tomorrow I'll clean the lens before i start, i had my hands all over the insta cause i had a wifi problem to sort out and never thought about cleaning the lens I've sorted the wifi problem now and then i just basically took it out and filmed don't take my inexperience and carelessness on the production shown I'll do it all properly tomorrow... any tips on setting would be good though what would you like me to set them on ?

On 10/19/2018 at 10:20 AM, houseofjob said:

The Fusion offsets the two cameras which is supposed to help get a better stitch. The OneX does not do this. If this physical design feature makes a difference then it will take more than firmware updates to close this gap.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

The Fusion offsets the two cameras which is supposed to help get a better stitch. The OneX does not do this. If this physical design feature makes a difference then it will take more than firmware updates to close this gap.

The Insta360 One has offset lenses, and the stitching is still marginal under many conditions. Clearly the Fusion folks have better proprietary software.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Yes, could be true, but if you’ve been following 360 cameras for the past year like I have, you’ll know almost every 360 camera has not rolled out perfectly, always requiring firmware updates to transform the camera, some even better than initially advertised. This is all I was referring to.

• Like 1

FYI...Make sure you use a V30 class micro card or above. I used a suboptimal micro card over the weekend and the results were terrible. My dog crewed up my 128GB Scandisk Extreme Pro the night before my ride so I substituted. Bad mistake. :furious:  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, could be true, but if you’ve been following 360 cameras for the past year like I have, you’ll know almost every 360 camera has not rolled out perfectly, always requiring firmware updates to transform the camera, some even better than initially advertised. This is all I was referring to.

No question, these guys are rolling out improvements via firmware all the time. I just thought it worthwhile to note that there is a physical difference that might prevent from One X from getting all the way to where the Fusion is.

I keep thinking I'll buy a OneX but every time I get close to pulling the trigger someone points out another issue. My thinking is to have the OneX to put out content in close to real time, and the Fusion for material intended to be massaged in post.

Edited by winterwheel

29 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

No question, these guys are rolling out improvements via firmware all the time. I just thought it worthwhile to note that there is a physical difference that might prevent from One X from getting all the way to where the Fusion is.

I keep thinking I'll buy a OneX but every time I get close to pulling the trigger someone points out another issue. My thinking is to have the OneX to put out content in close to real time, and the Fusion for material intended to be massaged in post.

Yeah, that's curious they abandoned the offset idea, but the result is still pretty damn good for an initial release, and Insta360 has a great rep & their software is so much better than the competition, that I have no doubt the camera will resolve most of the initial launch issues.

Though, I still have yet to see an Insta360 One X color corrected video that matches the color corrected Fusion (which I prefer), and it's curious the reviewer I posted noted that the desktop stitching handled stuff like the red dot issue better than on mobile.

But for the $$$, nothing matches the Insta360 One X currently I think. It will be interesting to see if GoPro will match somehow by either lowering the Fusion price, and/or putting out a new firmware to up the specs, features.

• Like 2

Filming Tips

These certainly apply against the Insta360 One, which I'm using. I suspect that they still apply to the X.

Minimizing (hiding) Stitching Corruption

The stitching often falls apart when there is a strong light source bridging the two image spheres (where the stitch occurs). If you aren't paying attention to the orientation of the camera, the stitch line can go right through your face. This really highlights the poor camera performance.

Try to maintain the camera orientation either horizontal (one lens is pointing up and the other down) or at ~45-degrees to the horizon. I think horizontal hides the mess the best.

Minimize Bright Light Image Degradation

Bright lights (the Sun during the daytime or street lights at night) ruin the Insta360 video quality. No doubt about it. It corrupts the stitching and half the image will be washed out. So plan your shooting plan accordingly. You must anticipate how you will post process the video as you are filming. If you're holding the camera in front of you and plan on having the image frame looking at you, don't have the Sun behind you, Same with bright lights at night.

This is all easier said than done, particularly considering that you bought a 360 camera so that you didn't need to worry about camera orientation - everything is done in post, right? :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is why I like all the comparison videos on YouTube shooting out all the popular models, pointing out their strengths and weaknesses in a controlled environment. (360 Guy, Ben Claremont, CreatorUp!, etc.)

Stitching is not 100% foolproof on the best of 360 cameras, but it's pretty commonly agreed that a constant faint line across your video is a no-no, regardless of the lighting.

Stabilization is handled better than others camera to camera and seems to be based on the stitching software algorithm at hand.

But definitely, a red dot issue is another no-no (glad to see it's just currently an Insta360 One X mobile app issue)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

This is why I like all the comparison videos on YouTube shooting out all the popular models, pointing out their strengths and weaknesses in a controlled environment. (360 Guy, Ben Claremont, CreatorUp!, etc.)

Stitching is not 100% foolproof on the best of 360 cameras, but it's pretty commonly agreed that a constant faint line across your video is a no-no, regardless of the lighting.

Stabilization is handled better than others camera to camera and seems to be based on the stitching software algorithm at hand.

But definitely, a red dot issue is another no-no (glad to see it's just currently an Insta360 One X mobile app issue)

BTW, what is this "red dot" issue you've been talking about? A Google search only identified something when shooting underwater? Or is this a more widespread problem.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, what is this "red dot" issue you've been talking about? A Google search only identified something when shooting underwater? Or is this a more widespread problem.

Hugh points it out here @ 2:30 on the Insta360 One X footage (not underwater shooting): 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Hugh points it out here @ 2:30 on the Insta360 One X footage (not underwater shooting): 

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I see it. Very interesting artifact.

Some interesting tidbits I haven’t heard before on these 2 cameras, like GoPro parting ways with their former software division Kolor possibly affecting future Fusion FW updates, and desktop One X stitching taking significantly less time than Fusion Studio:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Some interesting tidbits I haven’t heard before on these 2 cameras, like GoPro parting ways with their former software division Kolor possibly affecting future Fusion FW updates, and desktop One X stitching taking significantly less time than Fusion Studio:

I haven't watched the video to hear exactly what he's saying, but GoPro's shuttering of its Kolor division has no impact on plans for Fusion.

The closure was due to having developed duplicate expertise in stitching across multiple sites.

• Upvote 1