insta360 x latest edition ?

stephen

Everything looks great about this unit. I think Christmas will be a good time for me to pick it up. By then all the accessories should be available, firmware updates for initial quirks/bugs, and the price may be a bit lower.

• Upvote 2

On 10/12/2018 at 6:34 AM, stephen said:

it's in the post ???

arriving monday

It seems we ordered on the same day 10-10 but mine has not even shipped yet. No email regarding being shipped or tracking number.  

Post some euc videos ASAP ?

• Upvote 1

:w00t2: That’s so cool.  I wonder if two of these mounted a certain distance apart would produce 360° 3D video.  Is there such a thing?  I thought for 3D you need two cameras set slightly apart to capture the slight different angles to produce 3D.

A quick Google search shows this product:

https://vuze.camera/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2: That’s so cool.  I wonder if two of these mounted a certain distance apart would produce 360° 3D video.  Is there such a thing?  I thought for 3D you need two cameras set slightly apart to capture the slight different angles to produce 3D.

Seems for consumer cameras, there's only 180º for 3D, or VR180 (per YouTube settings):

Kandao Qoocam: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1430616-REG/kandao_220467_qoocam_interchangeable_3d_360_vr.htm

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=EgcIBBAB0AEB&search_query=kandao+qoocam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Very nice. I certainly agree with the reviewer that the Fusion footage looks more pleasing to the eye. Then again I process every video I shoot, so adding more contrast and saturation is not a big deal for me.

I wonder if the Insta360 X is going to put pressure on GoPro to lower the Fusion price.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice. I certainly agree with the reviewer that the Fusion footage looks more pleasing to the eye. Then again I process every video I shoot, so adding more contrast and saturation is not a big deal for me.

Yes, that's exactly what's left that I want to know: how the Insta360 X color corrects in comparison to the Fusion. It's unfortunate the reviewer didn't do a more accurate flat / raw footage comparison, as it's obvious the Fusion, at least, is on a GoPro color setting.

But this review does have me that much more tempted to buy the Insta360 X, what with the easier mobile workflow (though I'll probably work more in desktop), smaller footprint than the Fusion, and confirmation that the X does have 120MBit depth, as that was seemingly mis-stated in earlier reviews.

But, like the reviewer states, it might be wiser to wait so that the early Insta360 X issues I've seen on demo vids get sorted out, like the red dot issue, and the occasional, sudden jerk stabilization flub, especially in low light.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I wonder if the Insta360 X is going to put pressure on GoPro to lower the Fusion price.

I can't imagine they wouldn't. 

GoPro lowered their regular 2D Hero series of cameras due to the much cheaper and arguably better quality Yi 4K series of action cams, plus they recently dropped the original $700USD Fusion price down to $600 (which prompted my purchase of one).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, that's exactly what's left that I want to know: how the Insta360 X color corrects in comparison to the Fusion. It's unfortunate the reviewer didn't do a more accurate flat / raw footage comparison, as it's obvious the Fusion, at least, is on a GoPro color setting.

But this review does have me that much more tempted to buy the Insta360 X, what with the easier mobile workflow (though I'll probably work more in desktop), smaller footprint than the Fusion, and confirmation that the X does have 120MBit depth, as that was seemingly mis-stated in earlier reviews.

But, like the reviewer states, it might be wiser to wait so that the early Insta360 X issues I've seen on demo vids get sorted out, like the red dot issue, and the occasional, sudden jerk stabilization flub, especially in low light.

I can't imagine they wouldn't. 

GoPro lowered their regular 2D Hero series of cameras due to the much cheaper and arguably better quality Yi 4K series of action cams, plus they recently dropped the original $700USD Fusion price down to $600 (which prompted my purchase of one).

I forget, do you have the Insta360 One? If you do, I'm amazed that you would attempt any desktop workflow. The desktop application is horrible and limited in its capability. It needs to be seen to appreciate how bad it is compared to the iOS workflow.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I forget, do you have the Insta360 One? If you do, I'm amazed that you would attempt any desktop workflow. The desktop application is horrible and limited in its capability. It needs to be seen to appreciate how bad it is compared to the iOS workflow.

Yes, pretty easy to add color two three clicks.  The reviewer briefly mention he is able to correct in post, but mentions the muted color a dozen times.  Not sure what his intentions were.  But the Insta360 One X is definitely better than the fusion.  

For the pictures it wasn’t even a contest.  

@houseofjob, been using the new camera and haven’t seen any of the issues this guy is doing.  By the way he is still on beta software.  Have no idea why.  Insta360 already released new firmware a few days ago.  360 rumors guy has better knowledge or Ben Carlson.  But he is slow with his content.  

@stephen, good job for your first try.  You will get better with the composition as you do it more often and figure out what angles you like and etc.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

No, I didn't get the One in favor of the Fusion, because the picture quality starts falling apart when you blow it up bigger than mobile size. All the 4K 360 cameras seem to be in the same boat, 2D becomes 720P-like quality, only good for viewing on mobile.

For me, personally, I'm only looking to these 360 company apps for stitching, nothing else, as I immediately bring it into a much more versatile editor like FCPX or PPCC. That's a big attraction to the Insta360 X for me, quality + faster stitch apparently on mobile (haven't heard anyone talk about what stitching alone is like on the desktop app).

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Yes, pretty easy to add color two three clicks.  The reviewer briefly mention he is able to correct in post, but mentions the muted color a dozen times.  Not sure what his intentions were.  But the Insta360 One X is definitely better than the fusion.  

LOL, don't say a bad thing about Insta360 or @eddiemoy will go after you!

(BTW, with current firmware, I don't agree, Fusion is currently still better IMHO, which is also the current consensus of the 360 community, but future firmware for both sides will close the gap and/or flip this, I'm sure)

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

@houseofjob, been using the new camera and haven’t seen any of the issues this guy is doing.  By the way he is still on beta software.  Have no idea why.  Insta360 already released new firmware a few days ago.  360 rumors guy has better knowledge or Ben Carlson.  But he is slow with his content.  

Beta or not, in @stephen's vid above, I still see the stitching lines and stabilization shake issues, and this Insta360 X is for sure not in beta. But again, this will get fixed, given Insta360's rep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

No, I didn't get the One in favor of the Fusion, because the picture quality starts falling apart when you blow it up bigger than mobile size. All the 4K 360 cameras seem to be in the same boat, 2D becomes 720P-like quality, only good for viewing on mobile.

For me, personally, I'm only looking to these 360 company apps for stitching, nothing else, as I immediately bring it into a much more versatile editor like FCPX or PPCC. That's a big attraction to the Insta360 X for me, quality + faster stitch apparently on mobile (haven't heard anyone talk about what stitching alone is like on the desktop app).

LOL, don't say a bad thing about Insta360 or @eddiemoy will go after you!

(BTW, with current firmware, I don't agree, Fusion is currently still better IMHO, which is also the current consensus of the 360 community, but future firmware for both sides will close the gap and/or flip this, I'm sure)

Beta or not, in @stephen's vid above, I still see the stitching lines and stabilization shake issues, and this Insta360 X is for sure not in beta. But again, this will get fixed, given Insta360's rep.

I'll post more vid later but i did video with the sun just going down with all the glare off the sea and I'm in front of a wall to stop the bottom light just my presumption though , I'll do another in more natural light and different situations ,,ps I'm a noob and not touched any settings yet but I'll get there but i do like the simplicity of the insta and the footage you get ?

he's another but from the rear ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

stephen, good job for your first try.  You will get better with the composition as you do it more often and figure out what angles you like and etc.  

It would have been nice if you had shared a similar positive comment towards @outcast00096 !!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stephen said:

I'll post more vid later but i did video with the sun just going down with all the glare off the sea and I'm in front of a wall to stop the bottom light just my presumption though , I'll do another in more natural light and different situations ,,ps I'm a noob and not touched any settings yet but I'll get there but i do like the simplicity of the insta and the footage you get ?

Shouldn't matter. There's no setting for stitching, it just gets done by the algorithm of the program, desktop or mobile, and unless you are facing it directly at the sun, the stitch lines shouldn't be there.

Did you dirty and/or not clean the lenses before shooting, perhaps?

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Shouldn't matter. There's no setting for stitching, it just gets done by the algorithm of the program, desktop or mobile, and unless you are facing it directly at the sun, the stitch lines shouldn't be there.

Did you dirty and/or not clean the lenses before shooting, perhaps?

Stitching lines are there if you look for them.  Some are just more obvious.  It also depends on the lighting condition like you mentioned.