Solowheel Glide 3 loses settings on power off.

Julian Alvarez

Hey All,

I have recently made my first EUC purchase of a Solowheel Glide 3 (a week old from Newegg). After some bumps and bruises learning how to ride (both me and the EUC), I feel like I'm getting the hang of it and I'm very happy with my wheel. 

Unfortunately, a couple of things started happening the past 2 days. For some reason, it seems like powering on the wheel is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes I can short press the power button and it will work, sometimes I have to long press the button and it will work, and sometimes short pressing the button several times will result in the battery icon flickering for a second and then eventually powering on after a couple more tries. 

My second issue started happening at the same time. I can make changes on the Inmotion App like max speed, pedal horizontal tile, volume and that works fine until I power off the machine. As soon as the bluetooth disconnects from the wheel, the settings are gone the next time I power it on and it appears as though everything is back to factory defaults. I don't believe this was happening when I first got the wheel, but I wasn't making many changes at that time. 

I plan to contact Inmotion support, but wanted to know if anyone had anything for me to try. I'm pretty comfortable with electronics and up until now, I have tried removing the side casing and disconnected the two cables I found, hoping removing the battery for a bit would reset everything and solve my issues. I look forward to being a part of this community!  

I have nothing particularly useful to add other than that the power button on my Glide 3 has always been like that as well (it's usually pretty good, but if I "over think" turning it on that's when I'll have trouble) and I've had mine a little over a month.  I haven't tried changing any of the settings (other than the lights, which seems to stick for me)

2 hours ago, BarrettJ said:

I have nothing particularly useful to add other than that the power button on my Glide 3 has always been like that as well (it's usually pretty good, but if I "over think" turning it on that's when I'll have trouble) and I've had mine a little over a month.  I haven't tried changing any of the settings (other than the lights, which seems to stick for me)

Appreciate the info on the power button. Wanted to get your input. This other thing happens to me, although rare, when the wheel is powered off but in neutral position, the battery icon flashes and it seems like it tried to balance for a split second. 

Im sure these could all be little quirks that I’m just not familiar with. Just wanted to make sure I don’t have a defective wheel.

34 minutes ago, Julian Alvarez said:

This other thing happens to me, although rare, when the wheel is powered off but in neutral position, the battery icon flashes and it seems like it tried to balance for a split second. 

I haven't seen this at all, but my wheel is generally not in a place where I could see it during the day and is usually stored such that it is already upright.

Just got my glide 3 yesterday and the power button is a lil weird I think I just have to get used to it since it’s not a actual button more like a sensor. When I connect to my inmotion app I can’t get any of those setting you some about. Don’t see anything about tilt. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Valentin said:

Just got my glide 3 yesterday and the power button is a lil weird I think I just have to get used to it since it’s not a actual button more like a sensor. When I connect to my inmotion app I can’t get any of those setting you some about. Don’t see anything about tilt. 

For me, in the Inmotion app it's under the 'settings gear icon' on the top right of the 'Vehicle' tab, then there's an option for 'Vehicle Correction'. The setting is called 'Pedal Horizontal Adjustment.' I've heard people like -3 degrees. I can adjust this and feel the difference, but after power cycling my wheel, it's back to default.

I have a 5 month old G3 that has had the stuffing beat out of it. The vendor replaced the control board after 300-400 miles due a CAN bus error post tire change. My wheel does have a few lingering issues though. please note that this is my favorite wheel out of the three that i own and is in no way the most powerful and/or modern of the trio.

- totally silent, no audible alarms of any sort. I actually prefer it in this configuration

- the power button properly activates wheel 85% of the time (fast touch). I get the empty battery bar every so often and the rare lack of response. I feel like my G3 is sensitive to its position when powering it on. that is an assumption...

- i have had to re-install the male plug of the charger cover twice and it is very frustrating 

- have the larger tire installed and get some minor rubbing when running the tire at high PSI. still prefer it over the stock tire, but it took some getting used too.

- Solowheel app would not recognize the wheel post service. InMotion app recognizes the G3 and has a better GUI in my opinion.

I suggest that you contact InMotion support concerning the setting issue.  

On 10/10/2018 at 8:57 PM, gon2fast said:

I have a 5 month old G3 that has had the stuffing beat out of it. The vendor replaced the control board after 300-400 miles due a CAN bus error post tire change. My wheel does have a few lingering issues though. please note that this is my favorite wheel out of the three that i own and is in no way the most powerful and/or modern of the trio.

- totally silent, no audible alarms of any sort. I actually prefer it in this configuration

- the power button properly activates wheel 85% of the time (fast touch). I get the empty battery bar every so often and the rare lack of response. I feel like my G3 is sensitive to its position when powering it on. that is an assumption...

- i have had to re-install the male plug of the charger cover twice and it is very frustrating 

- have the larger tire installed and get some minor rubbing when running the tire at high PSI. still prefer it over the stock tire, but it took some getting used too.

- Solowheel app would not recognize the wheel post service. InMotion app recognizes the G3 and has a better GUI in my opinion.

I suggest that you contact InMotion support concerning the setting issue.  

Awesome info! I have contacted support and it seems they are leaning toward a board issue and I have seen a CAN error before.

I have seen some examples of this wheel taking a beating so hopefully it’s just a faulty part and my bad luck. 

I’m not planning to make any changes to the tire or anything, but great info. What is considered high psi that initiated the rubbing?

Thanks again for the info. I’ll update when I have info from Inmotion.

My V8/G3 power button seems a little touchy too.  Sometimes it doesn't want to turn back on if it was just turned on/off a couple of times quickly.  If I wait a minute then it works again. I also think it sometimes is sensitive to the position it's in when turning on.  Other than that, it's been perfect and retained all settings after powering down.

49 minutes ago, mdogbucket said:

My V8/G3 power button seems a little touchy too.  Sometimes it doesn't want to turn back on if it was just turned on/off a couple of times quickly.  If I wait a minute then it works again. I also think it sometimes is sensitive to the position it's in when turning on.  Other than that, it's been perfect and retained all settings after powering down.

Appreciate this. It seems as though the power button is nothing to worry about, but the settings not saving is a defect. Unfortunately, email to Inmotion has been slower than I would have liked, but we are in progress.

Just a little possibility for continious resetting...

On the picture from the control board i marked something, maybe a battery for saving the settings / statistics of the wheel?

So maybe just check this?!

Sorry if im wrong, i only had this picture to check whats on the control board.

IMG_20181016_025252.jpg

1 hour ago, MaiKi said:

Just a little possibility for continious resetting...

On the picture from the control board i marked something, maybe a battery for saving the settings / statistics of the wheel?

So maybe just check this?!

Sorry if im wrong, i only had this picture to check whats on the control board.

IMG_20181016_025252.jpg

Thanks for this. This is a great suggestion as I wouldn’t be shocked if an internal battery was dead seeing as my wheel was completely dead when it arrived and the tire had very little pressure in it. 

I will check this out tonight and report back.

3 hours ago, Julian Alvarez said:

Thanks for this. This is a great suggestion as I wouldn’t be shocked if an internal battery was dead seeing as my wheel was completely dead when it arrived and the tire had very little pressure in it. 

I will check this out tonight and report back.

Checked the battery and it’s at 3.05V and the contacts are glued to the battery.

Checked? Have you measured the battery or just a optical check?

Its a 1 or 2$ item, maybe just try it with a new one. The glue should be only on the upper side so with a razor or scalpel and a little cut bettween battery and the upper pole it should be easily disconnected. B)

8 hours ago, MaiKi said:

Checked? Have you measured the battery or just a optical check?

Its a 1 or 2$ item, maybe just try it with a new one. The glue should be only on the upper side so with a razor or scalpel and a little cut bettween battery and the upper pole it should be easily disconnected. B)

Apologies. Measured 3.05V with a voltmeter. I will give replacing it a shot today and report back.

Update:

I was able to remove the battery from the board, but it seemed as though there was more than glue holding the contacts to the battery and one of the contacts came off of the board. However, once the battery was removed, there were no additional effects to the wheel. 

I have a new board coming in that should solve my issue either way, but one day I may try to solder the contact back on and see if that was in fact the issue. At this point it’s looking like it was, but unfortunately they don’t make it easy to replace that battery.

Oh... Ehm... Ok... bad to hear... Thats gone stupid, but i think if its just one contact its not a problem to solder the contact back on. It would be very interesting if that was the issue.

Please make an update in the future... From the instalation of your new board too, this have to fix all the problems hopefully

Additionally I can confirm that the power button does seem to not be responsive if the wheel isn’t upright - I ordered a unicycle stand and the wheel will not power on when sitting in it, but powers right on when picked up and placed on the floor. 

25 minutes ago, BarrettJ said:

Additionally I can confirm that the power button does seem to not be responsive if the wheel isn’t upright - I ordered a unicycle stand and the wheel will not power on when sitting in it, but powers right on when picked up and placed on the floor. 

Not sure what angle you're coming from, but that is exactly how it is supposed to be:efee47c9c8: A EUC should not start balancing until it is in a spatial position to do so. Power button also won't switch the wheel off at speed, etc. - same idea.

Just in case there's any confusion.

Archived