KS18XL

KAY GEE

50-55 km for a KS18L?   Last Saturday I did 30 miles on my KS18L starting with 95% battery and ending with 60% remaining.  Actual.  Today i did 15 miles starting with 100 and ending with 80% remaining.  I did an additional 6 miles the next day on Sunday, without recharging and took it to 50%.  30 miles is 48K and with 60% remaining I could have gone a whole lot farther.  I weigh in at 170 pounds.  I'm still learning and riding somewhat slow and flat last week but today I rode on hills in my neighborhood today.

Maybe my good mileage is due to an average speed of 12mph or so.  Yeah, still in learning mode.

4 hours ago, See6 said:

Maybe my good mileage is due to an average speed of 12mph or so.  Yeah, still in learning mode.

I can say from my experience that higher speeds aid more need for power same goes form wind. I have been riding a lot on open bicycle lanes/road. A strong wind in the back save a lot of battery.

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

I can say from my experience that higher speeds aid more need for power same goes form wind. I have been riding a lot on open bicycle lanes/road. A strong wind in the back save a lot of battery.

Absolutely I am noticing this too, quite a big difference too.

Also the side winds when strong enough can fight you a bit in regards to stability so easy to see why this would be.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Purplecycle said:

I was just looking for info on the KS18XL and stumbled upon this thread.

I must say, though, I also like the 'nutflap' more than the new design..

I totally second that emotion. I have seen the videos of the prototype XL being passed around the USA right now. 

With the originally equipped mudflap we at least could take comfort in the easy resemblance to something meaningful and familiar; a baggysaggy. :efefa6edcf:

The mudflap went from looking like a baggysaggy to a......... Missing tooth from a large herbivore? A miniature guillotine? The tongue flap of an old shoe? The discarded tread from a truck tire?:efef19744a:

I will be respectfully requesting a baggysaggy with my XL. :efee8319ab:

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I will be respectfully requesting a baggysaggy with my XL. :efee8319ab:

Hmm let me see if i got this right.

Moan about looks of a mudguard...?

However buying the wheel anyway? ?

So I guess it is not all bad??

Or did I get it wrong....

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Hmm let me see if i got this right.

Moan about looks of a mudguard...?

However buying the wheel anyway? ?

So I guess it is not all bad??

Or did I get it wrong....

No. You pretty much got it right. Not buying the 18XL because of an ugly mudflap is like refusing to bed a gorgeous woman because she has a missing finger.

For the gorgeous woman with the missing finger,  I am buying gloves. 

For the XL, the original Mudflap:D

4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

The mudflap went from looking like a baggysaggy to a......... Missing tooth from a large herbivore? A miniature guillotine? The tongue flap of an old shoe? The discarded tread from a truck tire?:efef19744a:

I will be respectfully requesting a baggysaggy with my XL.

LoL! Too funny. If I end up getting one of these I'll have to 3D print a good design. ? Or, forgo the flap and get one of these handsome apparatuses and extend it down past the knees! ?

bike-umbrella.jpg

10 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

LoL! Too funny. If I end up getting one of these I'll have to 3D print a good design. ? Or, forgo the flap and get one of these handsome apparatuses and extend it down past the knees! ?

bike-umbrella.jpg

If you 3D print something share it. Trouble is that I am complaining (sort of) about the new one, but I can't seem to visualize just how I would improve it aside from just returning to the original design. 

I think the XL mudflap looks better. Was considering the L/XL for my upgrade, but going to try out the MSX for now.

22 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

bike-umbrella.jpg

Anyone else bothered that this guy has no mud guards, so his pants are still going to get gross, and his rear tire is flat?!

12 minutes ago, existensil said:

I think the XL mudflap looks better. Was considering the L/XL for my upgrade, but going to try out the MSX for now.

Anyone else bothered that this guy has no mud guards, so his pants are still going to get gross, and his rear tire is flat?!

Careful.

The MSX is an excellent wheel, but we’ve had a couple of MSX riders here in NYC saying they had electronics (lights) affected by the lack of water seal after riding in the rain.

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

If you 3D print something share it. Trouble is that I am complaining (sort of) about the new one, but I can't seem to visualize just how I would improve it aside from just returning to the original design. 

Well, in my opinion, the flappery pictured here flows well with the design of the wheel (V5F)...

IMG_20181106_134611863.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Well, in my opinion, the flappery pictured here flows well with the design of the wheel (V5F)...

IMG_20181106_134611863.jpg

I like the symmetry here. It follows the curve of the machine. It looks like a part of the wheel; not like it was slapped on. The new KS 18XL flap is a different shape, but it doesn't fix the lack of symmetry evident from the original flap; it still looks slapped on to me. 

On the upside it's a little thing. KS wheels are so well designed that the little mudflap mishap seems more pronounced. I am glad that we only have the little things about which to complain. 

On 10/10/2018 at 12:12 AM, Unventor said:

Well I like my KS18L mudguard a lot. works like a charm. And don't break or shatter, due to beng made of flexable rubber,  in case you need to bail the wheel at some point. 

I would choose the rubber mudguard over hard plastic one any time.

The new mudguard is also made from rubber.

4 hours ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

The new mudguard is also made from rubber.

I think my post are pre-release of the so model. I were referring to fit 3d printer gotway mudguard and the Z10 factory made. 

As of the KS18XL or KS18L mudguard I cannot say which is better. I like the one my KS18L has, and works as a charm.

Hmm I might just be late for the 4 o'clock train...

But can someone explain to me what the big issue is with those mudguard?

Or let me put it this way, I must have a complex life since I really can't be bothered by it at all...since some people can spend so much time discussing something so trivial, imho. 

Or I am getting old and realized somethings are really not worth putting that much time in. I guess I am just old and simple, and have a big fat smile on my face when I zoom-zoom around "protected" by a mudguard. Interesting people that ask me questions see the EUC, never once I got a question about a mudguard....as of yet, maybe someday??

55 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Or I am getting old and realized somethings are really not worth putting that much time in. I guess I am just old and simple, and have a big fat smile on my face when I zoom-zoom around "protected" by a mudguard

Here is my take. I feel that we are still very much in beta-test phase with the wheels. The manufacturers are still learning how to maximize the available technology to create optimal design and performance. 

The balance of giving the consumer what they want with consideration of the needs of other industry and regulatory stakeholders requires a constant process of research,  intelligence, and improvement.

The opinions of early adopters matters and helps shape company thrust. There is no better way to find out what customers want than from customers themselves. 

The 18 L/XL is a splendidly designed machine. Every aspect is thoughtful. This makes the mudflap sort of stand out. I am sure that Kingsong actually appreciates the comments because it helps them to further refine the device. 

A customer can very well take the attitude that a mere mudflap is much ado about nothing. It's their right.  If it ain't broke don't fix it. Personally I feel the same as you. Either way, an ugly mudflap is many things, but quite far from a dealbreaker. I might talk a little crap about it, but I am still going buy the wheel and remove the flap if it bothers me a to significant enough degree. 

However, having said that, I also understand that commenting on such things small or large is important intelligence to the manufacturer. A manufacturer can never take a nonchalant position about something most of their customers don't like if they want to stay in business. They must show customers that they are listening and that their opinions are highly valued in helping along improvement. 

I think it's great that KS customers don't have inherent design flaws about which to complain; like severely canted pedal angles or poor materials used in the wheel's construction. Our wheels are so well designed that all we have to pick on is a somewhat jarring mudflap addition and a flimsy trolley handle-which by the way had been addressed through constant improvement. These are both add-on pieces. Clearly, the more important of the two issues is the handle, which consequently is the probable reason it was addressed with a bit more fervor. 

So I say we pick on it if it inspires improvement.

Maybe KS will hire a mudflap design team to :pooping: a more coherent design form. Then, the 18L will be even closer to perfect. :thumbup:

Archived