MSuper X wheel wobbles (misalignment?)

Hi everyone,

On the Tesla, I can quickly and cruise at 25-27 mph without any speed wobbles along the way.

On the MSuper X, replicating the behavior leads to automatic wheel wobbles where I have to compensate by re-positioning myself off-centered to lead with my left shoulder (or slow down and retry again)

I tried the wheel lift test but can't be certain of the results (appears to wobble) since I', not strong enough to hold the wheel steady till cutoff (could just be my body shaking and not the wheel).

My wheel is 49psi and with a bit more than 6oz of slime (I don't get how its possible to measure from that bottle).

Thanks everyone for your help!

I'll try to setup my phone to record the wheel test later tonight.

6 hours ago, Electroman said:

Sad to hear, I too experienced it at first but tiny correction of the feet + finding right pressure did it for me so no more.

Thanks, surprisingly I am getting better results by mounting with my weaker left leg instead. Seems like it’s my mechanics at this point 

18 hours ago, chulander said:

Thanks, surprisingly I am getting better results by mounting with my weaker left leg instead. Seems like it’s my mechanics at this point 

Could be yes, I can ride with feet in any position now by juts adjusting weight and balance, but still if rising real fast and to avoid any unwanted wobble I place my feet exactly where I want them and slightest changes makes a difference.

2 hours ago, Electroman said:

Could be yes, I can ride with feet in any position now by juts adjusting weight and balance, but still if rising real fast and to avoid any unwanted wobble I place my feet exactly where I want them and slightest changes makes a difference.

I heard a werid squeal yesterday and tried to remove the side panels, when I got to the left pedals, it was stuck. A long painful process later, turns out the left rod is dented. I’m thinking maybe my rods weren’t centered or something about it was causing wheel wobbles. Hopefully when the new rods comes in, it’ll be wobble free

14 hours ago, Jeremy Valentin said:

The msx is very top heavy keep riding the wobbles will go away. I had them also and I still get them from time to time when braking. Give it a few more rides see if they go away

Wobbles when braking can be fixed by adopting the 'sit down' method of braking like this (@6:31 in video)

Try lowering the PSI, the higher the PSI, the more squirrelly you wheel will be and more wobbles. Has to do with higher PSI having a smaller contact patch.  I usually go with 20% of your body weight in pounds.  If you get the wobbles from braking, it is because your legs are bent and you are applying unequal pressure.   I find that my wobbles go away immediately when I notice that my non dominant leg is bent and upon straightening it when braking wobbles go away.  

This is what works for me, but everyone is different so it may work for you or it may not.  

My MSX tire is very hard, must check pressure later cause getting curious now to see where it's at?

Deliberately choose to sacrifice some of that amazing comfort that great tire provide for maximum performance instead for, difference for sure is noticeable to me and harder means faster, more reactive to input but so again I am quite heavy all things consider so?

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Try lowering the PSI, the higher the PSI, the more squirrelly you wheel will be and more wobbles. Has to do with higher PSI having a smaller contact patch.  I usually go with 20% of your body weight in pounds.  If you get the wobbles from braking, it is because your legs are bent and you are applying unequal pressure.   I find that my wobbles go away immediately when I notice that my non dominant leg is bent and upon straightening it when braking wobbles go away.  

This is what works for me, but everyone is different so it may work for you or it may not.  

thanks for the tip. The wobbles are more from the acceleration than the braking. 

I'll try lowering the pis (once the replacement pedal rods arrive). For some reason I figured the X would use a similar psi as the Tesla (tried everything from 30-45 and 45 felt about right).

• 2 weeks later...

An 18x3” has probably double the amount of air compared to a Tesla, so they require very different pressures for similiar handling. For me (91kg / 200lbs) the sweet spot for MSX is exactly 2.7 bars (39psi), while on a 16x2.5” tire it is 3.3 bars (48psi). For 16x2.125 even more.

Below 39psi the MSX is lazy to turn and accelerate, and above 39psi it is uncomfortable and grips even worse than normal on wet nature.

Hi All

New MSX arrived yesterday 

Having the same problem wobbles at 25-30KM ,will try the tyre pressure currenty 40psi

68Kg rider so may take to 35Psi 

Is there a link to doing the Gotway calibrations

Cheers Gaz

yeah lower psi may help with the wobbles there is calibration on the gotway app..

press calibration till the wheel goes off on app ,,, sometimes it takes afew presses,,,make sure wheel is stood up straight without it leaning, set the tilt to where you want i use 0.6 on a level app , then hold the power button in till you here continuous beep then let it go turn it off again then back on and it should go to the level you set it at

I had some but not a lot, realized early only on that yes it can help to play around with pressure and so on but at least to me personally pressure must also be at where the wheel wants it with my weight and a riding style. It is true I run very high pressure and work around the negative effects so I can take full advantage where it truly matters to me and that is the speed, remove sluggishness from accelerations, maximum battery life cause this type of riding do suck a lot of juice. I realize I am the exception though cause the way I ride and also too heavy at that making it worse.

For me I just find where I can stand to fit my riding style and still not experience the wobble, I move around a lot and so does my feet but I think it's mainly a question of balance and position of the feet, together with the tire pressure that will work for you, just practice til finding the spot that work. When it happen suddenly at at speed just do the same, find what technique that will make most of it go away, everyone must find their own because so much input one cannot say this exact move or reaction will make you stop wobble period? Can try them sure and glad if it do stop?

But in all honestly I think it's hard, there is only 1 wheel to play with here and the inherent design with standing on 2 plates will make for a million combinations, we people are thin, fat, long, short etc, we have everything from super slow snails to greased lightnings riding these things and most  people likely in between but add to that we all like to stand with our feet differently on those plates, now start to understand the challenge to fully eliminate wobble at all times for everyone?

If they design the wheel to eliminate the wobble for a specific rider, then what about his opposite?  To design it perfect for everyone is a heck of a lot to ask at this early stage from the EUC manufacturers, not even Ninebot/Segway is anywhere close to a Mercedes Benz that been at technical solutions for almost a century and beyond that if counting the predecessors.

While people on this forum like to blame all wobbles on the rider, it is not at all uncommon to have a tire slightly out of balance which may amplify or even generate a wobble. I notice if I ride along a very slow curve, the MSX has this regular slow shake that repeats at every tire rotation.

Time to reseat the tire and weight balance the wheel.

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

While people on this forum like to blame all wobbles on the rider, it is not at all uncommon to have a tire slightly out of balance which may amplify or even generate a wobble. I notice if I ride along a very slow curve, the MSX has this regular slow shake that repeats at every tire rotation.

So what is meant by weight balance the wheel ,Tyre reseat means take off and refit or do the soapy Thai massage the rubber thing :) 

Will give it a few more KMs before i do anything and see how i go got 40 Kms on it so far

Thx for the replies Gaz

19 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yes true, so important to rely as much usable info as possible, but can also be a hard in a language not native to you so..?

I know I get frustrated as heck sometimes, know what I want to say just cannot put well formulated, informative sentences together :lol:

21 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

So what is meant by weight balance the wheel

The same process that is done to all car and motorcycle tires during installation, apply weights to make the weight of the tire uniform around the diameter. I made a video earlier of the process I use:

17 hours ago, Electroman said:

can also be a hard in a language not native to you

Of course, for native english speakers sometimes also. To be clear, I wasn’t referring to anyone specifically. It is just a common opinion here that all wobbles go away once you ride a little more. Sometimes that’s not the case though, and the tires themselves can wobble a bit.

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The same process that is done to all car and motorcycle tires during installation, apply weights to make the weight of the tire uniform around the diameter. I made a video earlier of the process I use:

Of course, for native english speakers sometimes also. To be clear, I wasn’t referring to anyone specifically. It is just a common opinion here that all wobbles go away once you ride a little more. Sometimes that’s not the case though, and the tires themselves can wobble a bit.

Yeah I get it and understand mrelwood, absolutely I agree.

Archived