Steering bar twisted? Mini pro keeps turning in a circle, help!

Hi everyone, 

Disaster, my mini pro has broken down on me on my way to work. Had to lug it 4km after doing an all nighter. Am ruined mentally and physically now and still need to get home after this shift. 

I'm not sure what happened, was fine, went to turn it around using the steering column and it sort of stuck with the column tilted and won't go back to center, now is just spinning in circles. 

I've tried to push it back but it is stuck at an angle now, impossible to ride it. 

Has anyone any experience with this kind of problem, can advise how I should fix?? 

Many thanks, 

A 36hr awake and now sad Alex. 

Steering bar at an angle.. 2Us4fou.jpg

2 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

I hope my dodgy fix holds for the ride home !

Hire an Uber to get home :)

As for the shaft, they were available from several sellers on Aliexpress the last time I looked, as spares for the Xiaomi "balance scooter." The problem is that the Xiaomi is cast, rather than machined, and it breaks frequently. You will see turned aluminum versions of the Xiaomi shafts being advertised.from China. More4mini has them, as may any local dealers who have recycled crashed MiniPROs :) The way that mechanism works is quite simple, JoJo has a page showing the disassembly of the steering unit.

See, for example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Ninebot-Mini-Pro-Scooter-Steering-Shaft-Steer-Axle-Rod-Car-Axletree-for-Electric-Scooter-Hoverboard/32827368250.html

or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/part-or-Steering-shaft-for-xiaomi-scooter-mini-two-wheel-self-balance-scooter-Unicycle-Accessories/32748282447.html

Ask the seller to make sure it will fit the Ninebot mini, and save all the old brass bearings and parts. You will need a new bolt... ask the sellers....

Haha, i managed to get back to the ferry by steering as little as possible! :D 

I have a local dealer sending me a replacement from a Mini Plus.  He thinks they will be the same but doesnt have any Mini pro versions in stock.  Fingers crossed!

It is an odd break though.  The screw broke just below the screw head, has anyone else seen this before? @jojo33 ?

On 10/8/2018 at 6:17 AM, Alex_from_NZ said:

I have a local dealer sending me a replacement from a Mini Plus

Im not sure steering shaft are the same than Mini Pro...

On 10/8/2018 at 6:17 AM, Alex_from_NZ said:

The screw broke just below the screw head, has anyone else seen this before?

Never seen before (chinese forum ...) just the shaft broken (old xiaomi mini) and sometimes  after  a frontal accident the hall sensor affected

There was a series of Mini PROs that were not assembled correctly,(steering bar not screwed) Ninebot had to face a strong demand, and their production plant to speed up the pace because of the other models that had to be produced.(Mini LITE, PLUS...)

3 hours ago, jojo33 said:

Im not sure steering shaft are the same than Mini Pro... Here all about Mini&Mini Prosteering shaft https://www.mini-j.world/mini-tech-en/parts-repair/steering-shaft/

& Mini PLUS steering shaft pictures (ecodrift) https://www.mini-j.world/mini-tech-en/mini-plus/#inside_steering_shaft

Never seen before (chinese forum ...) just the shaft broken (old xiaomi mini) and sometimes  after  a frontal accident the hall sensor affected

Hrmmm, hard to tell from the pictures really. Could be the same, could be different. Hopefully will know tomorrow when it arrives. 

Unfortunatly it's broken well below level with the casting, so very hard to try get the broken bit out. 

I will take some pictures tomorrow when I open it up again. 

14 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Hrmmm, hard to tell from the pictures really. Could be the same, could be different. Hopefully will know tomorrow when it arrives. 

Unfortunatly it's broken well below level with the casting, so very hard to try get the broken bit out. 

I will take some pictures tomorrow when I open it up again. 

There will be demand for the steering shaft of the Mini PLUS, it weighs 16kg, one day or another it will break. You can sell it if it is not compatible with the Mini PRO.
You'll see him right away. If you manage to mount it but it does not work, you exchange the HALL sensor

15 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

There will be demand for the steering shaft of the Mini PLUS, it weighs 16kg, one day or another it will break. You can sell it if it is not compatible with the Mini PRO.
You'll see him right away. If you manage to mount it but it does not work, you exchange the HALL sensor

The local dealer is a super nice guy. He is sending it to me to test first, if it doesn't work then I can send it back to him. I am planning to replace all the parts from my one over to the new one so I am just using the new casting (hopefully this part is the same). 

On another note @jojo33, my wife and I are planning to visit Paris next year for a week. Anything you can suggest? Is there electric scooter rentals available? I would love to explore by PEV!!

Thank you again for all your resources! 

Alex

3 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

is a super nice guy

Really he is a great seller, i love this attitude :thumbup:

Welcome, keep in touch i will take all data you needs for a good journey in Paris

Will be really great if i can come to Paris meet you (high speed train bring me to Paris in 2 hours 585 km)

But i will offer you a welcome present aspirin/paracetamol because my english is really awful :facepalm: 

On 10/8/2018 at 12:02 AM, Alex_from_NZ said:

Hi everyone, 

Disaster, my mini pro has broken down on me on my way to work. Had to lug it 4km after doing an all nighter. Am ruined mentally and physically now and still need to get home after this shift. 

I'm not sure what happened, was fine, went to turn it around using the steering column and it sort of stuck with the column tilted and won't go back to center, now is just spinning in circles. 

I've tried to push it back but it is stuck at an angle now, impossible to ride it. 

Has anyone any experience with this kind of problem, can advise how I should fix?? 

Many thanks, 

A 36hr awake and now sad Alex. 

Steering bar at an angle.. 2Us4fou.jpg

Hi, I had the same problem. The vine broke inside. Too small. I have enlarged the hole and redone the thread for a larger screw. with a countersunk head. I have also enlarged the plate hole. One trick: the screw head should not protrude. it must be perfectly flush (it was sufficient to file it).
Also consider that by emergency you can always reset the zero point, so that even with the crooked helm you can go home: just turn off the MiniPro, remove the rudder, turn it upside down and press the power button. You will see the wheels spin alternately. After 30 sec, turn off and get everything back.

Archived