QUESTIONS BEFORE BUYING GT16

Hello, 

I already ride since almost 2 years a 14 inch wheel, but i feel that i need 

a better wheel than mine.

After folowing thaïs forum, my choice is now : ROCKWELL GT16

My questions are (only ?) for owners of GT16 :

1) CAN i do off road on GT 16 better than 18 inch

2) CAN i use GT16 under ALL conditions wheather ?

3) To change the  tyre, is it really difficult, What tools do you recommand me ?

4) What tyre is better for off road?

(can i use 16 inch BMX tyres for instance??‍♂️?

i than you so Much for reading ?

Have a nice day ALL Wheelers (ON THE ?? joke??)

I think the GT16 has the best weight/range/speed/cost balance. 

Most terrain is no problem:

Terrain_Vosges.thumb.jpg.0bfa30116ca25e57c421557a39bd71bd.jpg

I cannot say if a 18" wheel would be the better offroad solution - I was only doing a short trip in the woods with a friends msuper and it was too heavy for me. It felt like a greyhound bus and I had to lean much forward to get it uphills. But take a look to @EUC Extreme - I think He would not prefer a 16" wheel... 

For me the GT16 was the better solution -  it has an excellent handling and enough power for most situations. 

I had some sporadic powerwarnings on extreme steep hills when I had all my camping gear on my back. 

Tire change is no big problem and BMX tire works well. I use a 16" BMX "Mad-Mike" from Schwalbe - compared to the original tire there is a slightly different steering behavior that tends to suddenly turn very sharp and directly - so be careful on the first few kilometers !!!

A big advantage: when changing a tire it's not needed to remove the pedals or pedal-arms from the motor - simply remove some screws and pull some connectors and then pull the whole chassis from the motor. Only the common tire removal stuff plus one screwdriver is needed. 

The watertightness is good for normal to medium rain and crossing puddles (my longest was 100m x 6-8cm deep on a flooded area near a river) was no problem for me, yet. But I think it can be improved for heavy rain - I plan to seal the battery-packs by covering them with liquid gum (plastidip). The board will get a silicone based or some hightech nano style layer on it. All connectors were located in a separate area where even heavy rain has no chance to get in when the small side-windows are sealed properly with duct tape. 

I think all sizes are good on the terrain. The smaller one is more challenging.
But that's fun. After driving a little while, driving big seems ridiculous easy.
The biggest problem is the durability of the devices. The GR16 solder melts me after 5 minutes.

On 10/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, YOZ3️⃣3️⃣? said:

3) To change the  tyre, is it really difficult, What tools do you recommand me ?

?

????

1 - Rockwheel GT16 is great for off road even in very rocky paths. But as the shell is closer to the ground compared to a 18 inch wheel  it may break (just under the pedals). It is already my third shell on the same GT16 (more than 4000 km and a lot of off road with it).

This kind of trail is just perfect. In some rare occasions (very steep rocky trails for example) the GT16 will do better than an 18 inch wheel.

Now, I prefer to use my Gotway MSX because it is more comfortable and still very manoeuvrable. And I am fed up with changing my GT16 shell ;-)

2 - Like with other wheels you may be cautious not to use it under heavy rains. Anyway the water can't come in from below neither from the front. The only way it could go inside is from the top. Look at one of my videos to see where. I opened it many times.

3 - It is easy to open and repair. I made a full tutrorial for that purpose. In french but easy to understand (replacement of tyre, shell, trolley, etc..)

4 - the tyre that comes with the wheel is fine. At first it was a Chao Yang, now it is shipped with a CST tyre. Both work well. I changed mine after approximately 4000 km.

Gracias a ti ! 

Thanks:clap3:Wheeler Leroy for all your nice explanations  about GT16 !

By the way, do you think that for common OFF ROAD (not too steepy )

the GT 16 equals a TESLA or a MSX OR KS18L ? ( FOR INSTANCE is the MSX smoother

in normal OFF ROAD , not in diffcult and rocky single tracks )

I hope I 'll can decide soon if the choice of GT16 is the best one  :thumbup:

As far asI can anallyse the last posts, the only big problem could be

the resistance of the shell and the rain :blink1::blink1:

Anyway i m not in a hurry too, i can eventually wait for the

brand new Rockwheel in a few months if these pbs would be may be solved :D

Let's hope for it

Good night  or rides (or day :eff006f726:)   to all wheelers !  :efee6b18f3:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 9:43 PM, s.m. said:

I think the GT16 has the best weight/range/speed/cost balance. 

Most terrain is no problem:

Terrain_Vosges.thumb.jpg.0bfa30116ca25e57c421557a39bd71bd.jpg

I cannot say if a 18" wheel would be the better offroad solution - I was only doing a short trip in the woods with a friends msuper and it was too heavy for me. It felt like a greyhound bus and I had to lean much forward to get it uphills. But take a look to @EUC Extreme - I think He would not prefer a 16" wheel... 

For me the GT16 was the better solution -  it has an excellent handling and enough power for most situations. 

I had some sporadic powerwarnings on extreme steep hills when I had all my camping gear on my back. 

Tire change is no big problem and BMX tire works well. I use a 16" BMX "Mad-Mike" from Schwalbe - compared to the original tire there is a slightly different steering behavior that tends to suddenly turn very sharp and directly - so be careful on the first few kilometers !!!

A big advantage: when changing a tire it's not needed to remove the pedals or pedal-arms from the motor - simply remove some screws and pull some connectors and then pull the whole chassis from the motor. Only the common tire removal stuff plus one screwdriver is needed. 

The watertightness is good for normal to medium rain and crossing puddles (my longest was 100m x 6-8cm deep on a flooded area near a river) was no problem for me, yet. But I think it can be improved for heavy rain - I plan to seal the battery-packs by covering them with liquid gum (plastidip). The board will get a silicone based or some hightech nano style layer on it. All connectors were located in a separate area where even heavy rain has no chance to get in when the small side-windows are sealed properly with duct tape. 

My MSX felt very sluggish first day of ownership, the old 16" react faster no way around it, but that pic tell I could never keep up with my old 16" there vs the MSX, that's child splay for the MSX tire where as my ACM would likely hit lower orbit if I am silly enough to try to beat the bigger wheel there.

I am of course speaking for myself only, someone truly amazing at handing a wheel in any terrain may be be faster on a more agile wheel, on the other hand a couple of days in and I was chocked how agile the MSX started to feel, months later and it too is just like a extension of my body, hard to grip how that wheel that first felt so huge and sluggish (I had never ridden a 18-19 before when getting it) now feel so much lighter and the differences can be worked around pretty well.

I suppose also the wheel we are used to the most and ride daily over time will also be the preferred one when put to the challenge, unless names mr Backe and have got almost all of them hahaha, looks like a fun ride on a decent wheel though no matter what diameter, tempting.. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, YOZ3️⃣3️⃣? said:

Hello, 

I already ride since almost 2 years a 14 inch wheel, but i feel that i need 

a better wheel than mine.

After folowing thaïs forum, my choice is now : ROCKWELL GT16

(can i use 16 inch BMX tyres for instance??‍♂️?

i than you so Much for reading ?

Have a nice day ALL Wheelers (ON THE ?? joke??)

1) As other people replied, the GT16 is good for off-road and there is many videos to prove it.
2) About weather conditions, you always have to be careful with water, mainly if it is very heavy rain (not only for the wheel, but for your safety riding too). The mother board is at the very top, so you may be able to get into a bit deep water, but I would not risk it, not sure how waterproof the motor is.
3) I never tried to change the tyre, but I would say it is like with any other EUC, maybe a bit harder than removing a bicycle tyre and more similar to a motorbike tyre? Tools used on a motorbike tyre would work for sure.
4) The GT16 V2/V3 have a better tyre (Chao Yang) than the GT16 V1 (CST). I did this image for the post about selling my GT16 on the French forum (mine on the right)
WNXaXwl.png

To use BMX tyres, I would recommend you measure everything well and get the exact dimmensions of the tyre.

@ZENJ
I also have a GT16, so I'll try to answer your question.

The Rockwheel brand is not as popular as Gotway/Ninebot/KingSong/InMotion, which I believe is the reason why their prices are below average for their performance.
In my opinion, the GT16 is also the first proper electric unicycle they have released, so they are pretty much starting to build their brand and reputation.

Comparing the main specs of the GT16 and the Gotway Tesla 16inch, we can see they are very similar wheels:
RW GT16 - 84V 2000W - Same/Similar battery options.
GW Tesla - 84V 1900W - Same/Similar battery options.
Actually, the GT16 is more powerful as per the specs (I have never tried a Tesla, so I can't compare in practice).

Looking at a shop that sells both models, we can see the Tesla is sold a bit more expensive, about 190 EUR difference.

https://store.urban360.com/produit/rockwheel-gt16-850wh-84v/
https://store.urban360.com/produit/gotway-tesla-gyroroue/

However, if we compare the price of these models being sold second hand, there is a bigger gap (actually there isn't in most cases, I'm surprised :blink:) due to the Gotway brand being much more popular than the Rockwheel brand.
560KM 1020WH Gotway Tesla sold for ~1500 EUR in May 2018
90KM 1020WH Gotway Tesla sold on this forum for ~900 USD under two months ago.
115KM 1020WH Gotway Tesla sold for ~990 EUR in JUL 2018
225KM 1036WH GT16 sold for ~1100 EUR under two months ago
243KM 858WH GT16 sold for ~850 EUR two months ago
50KM 1036WH GT16 sold for ~1100 EUR in AUG 2018.
1748KM 858WH GT16 sold for ~619 EUR in AUG 2018, sold very fast, same day as announced.

? 1100KM 858WH GT16 UNSOLD on an eBay auction at 595 EUR! Even if it has a 3 month old motherboard/cover, voltmeter display, new improved mudguard and proper leg cushioning.
Now on eBay for only 545 EUR (I am the seller). LINKhttps://elbo.in/gt16-3

There is people who have done +4000KM on the GT16 and their Chao Yang tyre is still OK, and all still working fine. (Like Iero83 in EspritRoue, the French forum).
I hope that helps! ;) 

Is rockwheel GT16 V2 better than Inmotion V10F? For uphill in hot weather for example.

I had Gotway Mten3, but after 1 hour crashed, 'bang' I listened, now impossible repair, aliexpress gave me full price back.

Archived