KS18L, my new ride and how is it holding up next to my V10f

Cumulus Libre

Hello ,

as many could see/read in other posts I have bought a KS18L after owning a KS16s (sold it again) and a V10f (which we still have).

Since I have knee problems I wanted to learn/ride on the smoothest ride I could found out there... After a few weeks owning a KS16s the V10f was advised, in fact it was a rented machine at the time and I felt in love :clap3:with it straight away, on the second day riding it I removed the 25km/u speed limit  to that I imposed myself and ever since I loved riding it offroad , city, and carving was a blast ! 

But my wife  loves joining me on offroad rides with the dog and we wanted a second ride.. after long deliberation :efefb6a84e:and some longer thinking and doubting I went for the KS18L after a short test ride.. 

Below my experiences and thoughts after the first 80 km with the KS18L, ever since I bought it I am riding it and I leave the V10F to my wife :

1. 18 inch? their is definitely a difference in riding the 16 compared to the 18inch tire, this can be felt during off-road but also just riding it on the tarmac, it's a different feel, and the first two days I really liked that, I found it easier to cover longer distances with my knee (this is subjective feeling and not sure it this is really the case..) 
  2. Balance, top heaviness vs more equally balanced, on my first rides I really could feel the difference and I was in favour of the KS18L , it seemed more balanced and the top heaviness (is it necessarily something bad? :confused1:) of the V10f is simply a different feel. After more then 200km's on the V10F i was able to nice turns at low speed and high speed, nice figure eights and I was always very comfortable on it to turn it etc... During my first rides on the KS18L I took it for longer distances and offroad rides, I was pretty sure on my turning abilities since I was ok on the V10f. I had to learn my wife to adapt to the V10F (coming from the KS16s) so we needed some technical training again, figure 8 , fast accelerations, abrupt stopping etc... i showed her how to do it with the V10F and I was mastering it.. But on my KS18L even I felt like a newbie again, very strange, the change of wheel was really easy coming from the V10F but my narrow turns ar off..I know one have to adapt to each wheel, but I didn't thought it would have made such a big difference.. 
  3. Speed : the 18 L and V10F seems to have the same speed if I compare them, it feels like the V10f has more acceleration if you swap rides but I think it's just related to the 18inch vs 16 inch ... What I really did notice is that I am more at ease at higher speeds and hence you cover longer distances in the same timeframe.. 
  4. Going uphill : from standstill till speed, feels like the V10f has some more acceleration here, but again simple physics I guess, I have to get used more to that KS18L, sometimes it feels like it lacks the power of speed to make it really, I try not to overlean it.. But I am sure it is related to me sooner then the machine...:rolleyes:
  5. Pedals : the first few rides on the V10F were one of relief, what a cushy pedals, but I wasn't too sure on the grip, so I had my doubts, after 200km's on it I know that wasn't necessary , the rubber pedals were holding me and big and comfortable. So back to the pedals of the KS18L , ok more grip with the Griptape that is true , but they are less comfortable. So far I am still looking for that sweetspot, I haven't found the right stand at this stage, I I am still learning and adapting , I am able to ride one legged, but that's just an acro thing, I am still struggling to find out what is the best, a wider stand, a more narrow stand, at lower speeds the lower stand feels more natural but at higher speeds and carving I get more unbalanced..again I get some foot fatigue after a while (I have to admit I do longer rides then before but still )
  6. Carving/turns : This is where to me the V10f excelled , I can still remember the eureka moment after 20km's on it, boy it felt like I was carving on ski's all the time, this was an eye opener and it was then and there that I fell really in love with EUC's.. :efeeec645d: The KS18L on my first test ride and second one it felt like I was able to do the same as with the V10f , it was one of the reasons I bought the KS18L , however today I am struggling to have nice carving turns like I do on my V10F, but I think it's normal since I am still in a learning period and discovering the ride, and still struggling on the stand.. Don't get me wrong my wife doesn't see any difference in me riding the V10f compared to the KS18L , I ride fast slow , nice turns at 35km/u but it simply doesn't feel (and that you can't always see that with naked eye) like my V10f, yet ? I would say that the KS is more nervous coming out of a turn, where the V10f is more smooth, but again I guess it is just a matter of getting used to it..
  7. Vibrations : coming straight of from the V10F back on the KS18L you can definitely feel the KS18L more vibrating and hence it's a bit less comfortable if you pay attention to this. :w00t2:
  8. Build quality : I think that Inmotion still has a little edge over the KS (not taking into account the whole fire issue), it's only based on look and feel...
  9. Weight : the KS does feel a bit more heavy then the V10F, and it's normal it weighs 10% more then the V10f even with the top heaviness, the KS feels more heavy in faster turns... or maybe I need more mileage :P
  10. Trolley : I love the V10f trolley, I could love the KS trolley but then it should come a bit more stronger ... it feels less strong and I guess it is after hearing the issues that people have with it
  11. Cut off button sensor : when I bought the KS18L we tested it at my vendor, the sensor of the KS18L was simply to touchy it would cut off very fast and once it was cut off , it didn't want to go ON again, very strange but Onewheel opened a new box and with that second one it was much better and it was working fine, so I got the good second one ;) Or so I thought. I have mixed feelings, at times is works like a charm and at other times it simply doesn't want to cut off, strange, my wife pointed out that I sometimes fire it up and then immediately try the cut off to lift in the car, without rolling /riding it, to me it shouldn't matter, and still today I am  not able to figure out why it sometimes works and who it does..  But so far I can live with that ;)  The V10F is a dream compared to that, it always does what you ask...
  12. Alarms and speed: the V10F is at 35 and tilt back it always worked like a charm... The KS18L I did the same, no alarm1 and 2 , I do have  Alarm3 at 35 and 4 at 38.. and this is a bit worrying, the third day I pulled up behind a car and accelerated, it was easy to follow the car, it was only at the next turn that I felt that I was going too fast:w00t2: (my focal point was the car, two moving objects...:efef585a74: ) , I managed the turn but I was above 40km/u or so it felt , I was going too fast and was happy to have made the turn. I stopped and checked my speed and yes I was well above 40 and I have no clue what went wrong, I never touched the speed setting again after the initial install, maybe it changed because i altered the riding mode? Anyway I change the speed settings back to 35 and 38 and again I didn't feel any tiltback during that test ride .. strange but my knee was to tired so I left it with that. The day after that I tried with 20km/u and worked out fine, I changed it back to 35 38 and after the whole ride yesterday it worked out fine.. I like the fact that I can fully accelerate and the machine is blocking me from going faster and that you alter that with a SW input, but if it doesn't work you can get surprised ...
  13. Tyre : I love the one on the V10f it is very smooth, I can say the same on the KS18L , but offroad it is much easier to change direction on grassy, muddy rocky terrain, I guess that's physics of the bigger tyre at play. The KS18L is however backwards on the rim, I came across very experienced riders who didn't love that feel at all..  And on the test ride the wheel was in the right direction, I loved carving that one? so pretty maybe I should change the direction as well? Or change the Mudguard direction as pointed out by @US69 in another thread? Again KS could have done a better job with that.. 
  14. Tyre pressure : on my V10f I ride it on 1,5 to 1,7 bar (I weigh 80kg geared up), on the KS18 L i initially bought it at 1,5 bar, I could feel it that it was a bit too low, i went with 1,8 to 2 bar and I am not too sure if that is better, the carving is still not that good, it's more nervous coming out of carved turns, the V10F is in that matter more smooth, but I 'll have to play more with the tyre pressure still I guess... (I ride them at pretty low tyre pressure since it is more comfortable for my knee... )
  15. Looks : I guess that's up to each one's taste.. but I really like them both, the mudguard on the KS18l I thought to be ugly and I wanted to remove it.. but after one week I am fine with it and it does it's job perfectly, I did do some customisation on it, pictures will follow... the same I could say about the trolley of the V10f at first it looks kinda strange but if you like the functionality of it you get used  to appreciate it ... 
  16. Riding noise : the V10f if more silent, but I have to say my KS18L is not whining as my KS16S did, I got annoyed by the high pitch of the KS16s I don't get that at all with the KS18L.

Conclusion  : 

The verdict is still out, so far they have both advantages and disadvantages, but in general they are both very good wheels.. I really want that the KS18L and myself work out ;) and it should grow to a long standing relationship with lot's of fun.. But if you would ask me today which of both wheels is my preferred choice then it would be the V10f with only a few points.. why? I love the carving more on it, and it always does what I ask it to do, I want to lift it it cut's off, the speedlimit remains always etc... 

But I am quite convinced that once I have riden 300km on the KS18L it  will have won over my hearth.. it simply has to ;) but it's up to me to start training more on the technical things, short turns, figure 8's , backwards etc..

Still to come : my adaptions to protect the pedals, a cover for the KS18L 

cheers

CL

2 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

Hello ,

as many could see/read in other posts I have bought a KS18L after owning a KS16s (sold it again) and a V10f (which we still have).

Since I have knee problems I wanted to learn/ride on the smoothest ride I could found out there... After a few weeks owning a KS16s the V10f was advised, in fact it was a rented machine at the time and I felt in love :clap3:with it straight away, on the second day riding it I removed the 25km/u speed limit  to that I imposed myself and ever since I loved riding it offroad , city, and carving was a blast ! 

But my wife  loves joining me on offroad rides with the dog and we wanted a second ride.. after long deliberation :efefb6a84e:and some longer thinking and doubting I went for the KS18L after a short test ride.. 

Below my experiences and thoughts after the first 80 km with the KS18L, ever since I bought it I am riding it and I leave the V10F to my wife :

1. 18 inch? their is definitely a difference in riding the 16 compared to the 18inch tire, this can be felt during off-road but also just riding it on the tarmac, it's a different feel, and the first two days I really liked that, I found it easier to cover longer distances with my knee (this is subjective feeling and not sure it this is really the case..) 
  2. Balance, top heaviness vs more equally balanced, on my first rides I really could feel the difference and I was in favour of the KS18L , it seemed more balanced and the top heaviness (is it necessarily something bad? :confused1:) of the V10f is simply a different feel. After more then 200km's on the V10F i was able to nice turns at low speed and high speed, nice figure eights and I was always very comfortable on it to turn it etc... During my first rides on the KS18L I took it for longer distances and offroad rides, I was pretty sure on my turning abilities since I was ok on the V10f. I had to learn my wife to adapt to the V10F (coming from the KS16s) so we needed some technical training again, figure 8 , fast accelerations, abrupt stopping etc... i showed her how to do it with the V10F and I was mastering it.. But on my KS18L even I felt like a newbie again, very strange, the change of wheel was really easy coming from the V10F but my narrow turns ar off..I know one have to adapt to each wheel, but I didn't thought it would have made such a big difference.. 
  3. Speed : the 18 L and V10F seems to have the same speed if I compare them, it feels like the V10f has more acceleration if you swap rides but I think it's just related to the 18inch vs 16 inch ... What I really did notice is that I am more at ease at higher speeds and hence you cover longer distances in the same timeframe.. 
  4. Going uphill : from standstill till speed, feels like the V10f has some more acceleration here, but again simple physics I guess, I have to get used more to that KS18L, sometimes it feels like it lacks the power of speed to make it really, I try not to overlean it.. But I am sure it is related to me sooner then the machine...:rolleyes:
  5. Pedals : the first few rides on the V10F were one of relief, what a cushy pedals, but I wasn't too sure on the grip, so I had my doubts, after 200km's on it I know that wasn't necessary , the rubber pedals were holding me and big and comfortable. So back to the pedals of the KS18L , ok more grip with the Griptape that is true , but they are less comfortable. So far I am still looking for that sweetspot, I haven't found the right stand at this stage, I I am still learning and adapting , I am able to ride one legged, but that's just an acro thing, I am still struggling to find out what is the best, a wider stand, a more narrow stand, at lower speeds the lower stand feels more natural but at higher speeds and carving I get more unbalanced..again I get some foot fatigue after a while (I have to admit I do longer rides then before but still )
  6. Carving/turns : This is where to me the V10f excelled , I can still remember the eureka moment after 20km's on it, boy it felt like I was carving on ski's all the time, this was an eye opener and it was then and there that I fell really in love with EUC's.. :efeeec645d: The KS18L on my first test ride and second one it felt like I was able to do the same as with the V10f , it was one of the reasons I bought the KS18L , however today I am struggling to have nice carving turns like I do on my V10F, but I think it's normal since I am still in a learning period and discovering the ride, and still struggling on the stand.. Don't get me wrong my wife doesn't see any difference in me riding the V10f compared to the KS18L , I ride fast slow , nice turns at 35km/u but it simply doesn't feel (and that you can't always see that with naked eye) like my V10f, yet ? I would say that the KS is more nervous coming out of a turn, where the V10f is more smooth, but again I guess it is just a matter of getting used to it..
  7. Vibrations : coming straight of from the V10F back on the KS18L you can definitely feel the KS18L more vibrating and hence it's a bit less comfortable if you pay attention to this. :w00t2:
  8. Build quality : I think that Inmotion still has a little edge over the KS (not taking into account the whole fire issue), it's only based on look and feel...
  9. Weight : the KS does feel a bit more heavy then the V10F, and it's normal it weighs 10% more then the V10f even with the top heaviness, the KS feels more heavy in faster turns... or maybe I need more mileage :P
  10. Trolley : I love the V10f trolley, I could love the KS trolley but then it should come a bit more stronger ... it feels less strong and I guess it is after hearing the issues that people have with it
  11. Cut off button sensor : when I bought the KS18L we tested it at my vendor, the sensor of the KS18L was simply to touchy it would cut off very fast and once it was cut off , it didn't want to go ON again, very strange but Onewheel opened a new box and with that second one it was much better and it was working fine, so I got the good second one ;) Or so I thought. I have mixed feelings, at times is works like a charm and at other times it simply doesn't want to cut off, strange, my wife pointed out that I sometimes fire it up and then immediately try the cut off to lift in the car, without rolling /riding it, to me it shouldn't matter, and still today I am  not able to figure out why it sometimes works and who it does..  But so far I can live with that ;)  The V10F is a dream compared to that, it always does what you ask...
  12. Alarms and speed: the V10F is at 35 and tilt back it always worked like a charm... The KS18L I did the same, no alarm1 and 2 , I do have  Alarm3 at 35 and 4 at 38.. and this is a bit worrying, the third day I pulled up behind a car and accelerated, it was easy to follow the car, it was only at the next turn that I felt that I was going too fast:w00t2: (my focal point was the car, two moving objects...:efef585a74: ) , I managed the turn but I was above 40km/u or so it felt , I was going too fast and was happy to have made the turn. I stopped and checked my speed and yes I was well above 40 and I have no clue what went wrong, I never touched the speed setting again after the initial install, maybe it changed because i altered the riding mode? Anyway I change the speed settings back to 35 and 38 and again I didn't feel any tiltback during that test ride .. strange but my knee was to tired so I left it with that. The day after that I tried with 20km/u and worked out fine, I changed it back to 35 38 and after the whole ride yesterday it worked out fine.. I like the fact that I can fully accelerate and the machine is blocking me from going faster and that you alter that with a SW input, but if it doesn't work you can get surprised ...
  13. Tyre : I love the one on the V10f it is very smooth, I can say the same on the KS18L , but offroad it is much easier to change direction on grassy, muddy rocky terrain, I guess that's physics of the bigger tyre at play. The KS18L is however backwards on the rim, I came across very experienced riders who didn't love that feel at all..  And on the test ride the wheel was in the right direction, I loved carving that one? so pretty maybe I should change the direction as well? Or change the Mudguard direction as pointed out by @US69 in another thread? Again KS could have done a better job with that.. 
  14. Tyre pressure : on my V10f I ride it on 1,5 to 1,7 bar (I weigh 80kg geared up), on the KS18 L i initially bought it at 1,5 bar, I could feel it that it was a bit too low, i went with 1,8 to 2 bar and I am not too sure if that is better, the carving is still not that good, it's more nervous coming out of carved turns, the V10F is in that matter more smooth, but I 'll have to play more with the tyre pressure still I guess... (I ride them at pretty low tyre pressure since it is more comfortable for my knee... )
  15. Looks : I guess that's up to each one's taste.. but I really like them both, the mudguard on the KS18l I thought to be ugly and I wanted to remove it.. but after one week I am fine with it and it does it's job perfectly, I did do some customisation on it, pictures will follow... the same I could say about the trolley of the V10f at first it looks kinda strange but if you like the functionality of it you get used  to appreciate it ... 
  16. Riding noise : the V10f if more silent, but I have to say my KS18L is not whining as my KS16S did, I got annoyed by the high pitch of the KS16s I don't get that at all with the KS18L.

Conclusion  : 

The verdict is still out, so far they have both advantages and disadvantages, but in general they are both very good wheels.. I really want that the KS18L and myself work out ;) and it should grow to a long standing relationship with lot's of fun.. But if you would ask me today which of both wheels is my preferred choice then it would be the V10f with only a few points.. why? I love the carving more on it, and it always does what I ask it to do, I want to lift it it cut's off, the speedlimit remains always etc... 

But I am quite convinced that once I have riden 300km on the KS18L it  will have won over my hearth.. it simply has to ;) but it's up to me to start training more on the technical things, short turns, figure 8's , backwards etc..

Still to come : my adaptions to protect the pedals, a cover for the KS18L 

cheers

CL

I read your review and wanted to make a comment... If carving and handling are your preference in riding, a 16" wheel will Always be better in that category as well as acceleration than a 18" wheel. I always liked 16" wheels as my favorite, mostly because of this preference... I got rid of my 18S because I felt like I could not turn it effectively. Here's the thing with me right now... I got a Z10 and it turns Totally different than any wheel because of the big tire. I have about 180 miles on it and have been practicing the turning technique described by @houseofjob in the Z10 thread. Since I have been doing that, I am riding the MSX which they are calling a 19" tire with great ease, using the same technique and it is riding almost like my 16S which I loved... Just some thoughts for you to love the 18L and "become one with the wheel"

@Marcglider. Z10 or MSX. Which do you feel is easy to handle? Do you find that the Z10 can be tricky when doing turns? 

@Cumulus Libre does the V10F have enough torque from standstill? Has the issue regarding that finally been resolved through firmware?  

25 minutes ago, Edddeus said:

@Marcglider. Z10 or MSX. Which do you feel is easy to handle? Do you find that the Z10 can be tricky when doing turns? 

Here's my take on those 2 wheels as well as others... The Z is a different animal and requires the most concentration and effort to ride at speed. This does not make it harder or easier per-se, I just literally got back from a 32 mile ride on my MSX I was averaging 20 mph on it and it seems reasonably easy to ride now (I have 133 total miles). When I am choosing which wheel to ride as I currently have 6 , my method of choice is based on how much concentration I want to expend for that ride... I like the Z as my favorite wheel right now, but it also has been the hardest to master, that may be why I like it, the challenge (it is also the wheel I go the fastest with the most comfort and least anxiety, you would think the MSX but it is not). 

If you are making a choice between a Z and MSX the range is the biggest issue, the cost is about the same... I think over time we all can get used to what we are riding and learn to love them... actually my favorite wheel is the one I am riding at that time... the MCM5 is a BLAST, but has it's limitations as well... save up and get them all, That's what I did and my best recommendation... :cheers:

you use the word "tricky" to me that equals "concentration"

33 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Here's my take on those 2 wheels as well as others... The Z is a different animal and requires the most concentration and effort to ride at speed. This does not make it harder or easier per-se, I just literally got back from a 32 mile ride on my MSX I was averaging 20 mph on it and it seems reasonably easy to ride now (I have 133 total miles). When I am choosing which wheel to ride as I currently have 6 , my method of choice is based on how much concentration I want to expend for that ride... I like the Z as my favorite wheel right now, but it also has been the hardest to master, that may be why I like it, the challenge (it is also the wheel I go the fastest with the most comfort and least anxiety, you would think the MSX but it is not). 

If you are making a choice between a Z and MSX the range is the biggest issue, the cost is about the same... I think over time we all can get used to what we are riding and learn to love them... actually my favorite wheel is the one I am riding at that time... the MCM5 is a BLAST, but has it's limitations as well... save up and get them all, That's what I did and my best recommendation... :cheers:

you use the word "tricky" to me that equals "concentration"

I just got a Z and rode it for 3 days.

When I got back on my Mcm5 like nothing  happened I just fell right then. Like I never rode a wheel ever before :)

Hard to go from a Z back  to an other wheel, wasnt that hard the other way around.

5 hours ago, Vanzen said:

I just got a Z and rode it for 3 days.

When I got back on my Mcm5 like nothing  happened I just fell right then. Like I never rode a wheel ever before :)

Hard to go from a Z back  to an other wheel, wasnt that hard the other way around.

I had a very hard time going from the Z to other wheels... it took a few weeks and it became all good... I was like "HOLY CRAP" this is crazy... exactly what you just experienced... but here is the deal on the other side... your learning on the Z translates to a whole new level on your other wheels after a while... just keep at it and it gets AWESOME... the leaning and using your outer leg for support on the side of the wheel is the trick to everything... :D

Well....read all your messages above.. ;)

By my side.... my 2 cents... must say:

@Dear my KS18L

The more I ride you, The more I definitely LOVE You ! :wub: :wub: :clap3: :thumbup:

On 9/29/2018 at 4:08 PM, Marcglider said:

I read your review and wanted to make a comment... If carving and handling are your preference in riding, a 16" wheel will Always be better in that category as well as acceleration than a 18" wheel. I always liked 16" wheels as my favorite, mostly because of this preference...

hey marc, 

is this a personal opinion or is this shared through the EUC community? meaning does KS18L owners find this through that carving always works better on 16 inch or is it a matter of getting used to the wheel? I do understand the physics but I wonder if in general everybody agrees on this? or in other words are there happy 18inch carvers out there ;)

On 9/29/2018 at 4:08 PM, Marcglider said:

I have about 180 miles on it and have been practicing the turning technique described by @houseofjob in the Z10 thread.

are you referring to his thread on standing position, which i've read, but this was more related to footfatigue/pain and standing? pivoting heel and front of foot? Or does @houseofjob has a separate thread still on turning technique? 

On 9/29/2018 at 6:52 PM, Edddeus said:

@Cumulus Libre does the V10F have enough torque from standstill? Has the issue regarding that finally been resolved through firmware?  

hey @Edddeus,

this is far from a scientific or proven, but when I got back on the V10f my impression was that it had more acceleration then the KS18L... but that could easily be the feel of the 16 inch wheel, it's difficult to compare, I am on medium riding mode, and sometimes on experienced mode just to get the feel of both, and experienced mode has more acceleration then medium mode etc... 

The V10f has to me definately enough torque/both of the wheels... so I wouldn't consider that as a worry.. maybe there are wheels like the MSX that even have more ... but I haven't ridden that one or any others.. 

On 9/29/2018 at 12:58 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

@US69

1. Tyre pressure : on my V10f I ride it on 1,5 to 1,7 bar (I weigh 80kg geared up), on the KS18 L i initially bought it at 1,5 bar, I could feel it that it was a bit too low, i went with 1,8 to 2 bar and I am not too sure if that is better, the carving is still not that good, it's more nervous coming out of carved turns, the V10F is in that matter more smooth, but I 'll have to play more with the tyre pressure still I guess... (I ride them at pretty low tyre pressure since it is more comfortable for my knee... )

Watch out: you do realize your tire pressure is way too low to be safe, don't you?

Check out the excellent guide from Jason here. I ride both wheels (KS18L and V10F) at 2.8 bars minimum, and I am the same weight as you.

When I bought the V10F I immediately bought the protective cover, which is very handy when protecting your wheel when going offroad or learning tight cornering etc..

The KS18L doesn't have that option so I had to come up with something..

So instead of making something from scratch I decided to buy a new protective cover from the V10 inmotion and adapt that one to my KS18L.

Surprisingly there is very little to change, I had to cut some holes for the charging and USB ports, as well I needed to shorten the sides because on the front it covers a part of the wheel and on the back it was pushing the mudguard against my wheel.

But once I've done that it is a tight custom fit. 

Forgot to mention that I changed the cover inside out, I quite like the black look from the inner protection...

20181001_114516bis.thumb.jpg.d39c8f6ce2cf280ec36d3b10edcc01a9.jpg

20181001_114521q.thumb.jpg.8b9e04b1d30d148e1518d9e81c3601f2.jpg

One small remark though, at the level of the power of /on button I have chosen to leave it covered , initially i thought I would have to remove the stitching and free up the button, I didn't wanted it to "accidentally" touch the button and during riding have a power off.. but I tried several ways to simulate a power off by pulling and pushing the cover , but the button is lowered compared to the sides and hence no issue for a power off situation.

If needed you could remove the stitching and lower it a bit,

or free up the place with a hole but the button is positioned at the level of the stitching

But like I mentioned I tried around 40 times to simulate a cut off with the stitching on this place, but it simply didn't activate the cut off.. So far I did 50km with this configuration..

20181001_120229bis.thumb.jpg.dd04d0d85f40eef858e1680f4cd0f6ab.jpg

20181001_120238bis.thumb.jpg.c85467ddfe1f6841733da3bb553b025e.jpg

and a last modification so far : 

Since I am riding a lot of offroad and still practising technical skills , I decided to cover up the pedals as well.. I used an insulation material that I still had laying around in my workshop, custom sized/cut them and attached them with Ducktape, I know, or can imagine that there are more beautiful solutions out there but for the coming weeks/month it will do the job..

I did the same for the V10f.. 

the result from the side can be seen in above pictures.. the making off ,61881016_20180926_153845bis.thumb.jpg.28376b4708528463bb91504cdea0f9ce.jpg

CHeers

CL

3 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

hey marc, 

is this a personal opinion or is this shared through the EUC community? meaning does KS18L owners find this through that carving always works better on 16 inch or is it a matter of getting used to the wheel? I do understand the physics but I wonder if in general everybody agrees on this? or in other words are there happy 18inch carvers out there ;)

are you referring to his thread on standing position, which i've read, but this was more related to footfatigue/pain and standing? pivoting heel and front of foot? Or does @houseofjob has a separate thread still on turning technique? 

I am no scientist but if you recall possibly from school or younger, there were toys called "gyroscopes"... you spin them up and you could put them in your hand and move it around... the bottom line is a bigger wheel (diameter) has more "gyroscopic effect, wanting it to stay upright and go straight. This is a fact, not just My opinion I made up or some new revelation I had... Different size wheels have more or less of this effect, but bigger = more .

Chris has a few different techniques he explains in his riding. What has helped me the most is the technique used to turn the Z. It is best seen by a short Video of @RoberAce  (links below) where he is filming himself doing a S turn on his Z, In these videos you can see where the wheel remains mostly upright, he swings his body out leaning to the inside of the turn, and his outside calf is up against the wheel supporting it, looks like sport bike racers. This is pretty much the technique needed to turn the Z at speed, also there is a weight shift of about 60/40. This is why you have read a few experienced riders learning on the Z and then having problems with all other wheels in the beginning. I am using this technique on all  my wheels now and it is amazing how much better my carving has become, especially on the MSX.. hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh852_gKBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq_5TAVkj3A

6 hours ago, em1barns said:
On 9/29/2018 at 12:58 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

@US69

1. Tyre pressure : on my V10f I ride it on 1,5 to 1,7 bar (I weigh 80kg geared up), on the KS18 L i initially bought it at 1,5 bar, I could feel it that it was a bit too low, i went with 1,8 to 2 bar and I am not too sure if that is better, the carving is still not that good, it's more nervous coming out of carved turns, the V10F is in that matter more smooth, but I 'll have to play more with the tyre pressure still I guess... (I ride them at pretty low tyre pressure since it is more comfortable for my knee... )

Watch out: you do realize your tire pressure is way too low to be safe, don't you?

Check out the excellent guide from Jason here. I ride both wheels (KS18L and V10F) at 2.8 bars minimum, and I am the same weight as you.

hey @em1barns, thx for the good tip, one reads up on so much but sometimes forget the essentials, it was a good read.. and after that it I decided to testride with different pressures.

But first of all, I changed the tyre direction as advised from @US69 , I just had to change the mudflap and the job was done.. the on/off switch now comes at the back.. but that will prevent me less from touching it by accident..

So back to the tyre pressure, Jason advised to have it set at 35psi.. my setup that I am riding with the last week or so was at 20 psi (it came like that out of the box and I ride the V10f quite low in psi as well and that suited me fine). 

I put the pressure as advised on 35PSI and went for a ride, immediately it felt totally different, the steering much more precise and for short turns I had to adapt again.. on the road it felt very good , stiffer that's for sure, going offroad was even much more stiffer, I was kicked around from rock to rock ;) and decided to get some air out of the tyre just for my knee's sake.

I did a few testruns over and over again on same and different rocky paths, in the woods and on the tarmac.. until I found the right pressure for now. 

It's clear that for me at this stage the 35 PSI is a bit too much for my knee, I finally settled at 30PSI (I just verified it ) . 

The turning is much better, carving is much better too, the offroad handling for my knee works out fine so far...  

I think I didn't like the carving too much before because the tyre was underflated and hence the tyre would deform and hence giving me those strange sensations, today I haven't felt that at all.. 

Thx for the input guys !!:clap3:

15 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

hey marc, 

It's an opinion, but a heavily informed and widely shared opinion so, it's good information. 

Personally,  I have always preferred 18" wheels for their comfort and performance. I am a big, strong  guy so I have absolutely no difficulty maneuvering or carving on an 18" wheel. In fact, because I am so accustomed to the dynamics of an 18" wheel 16" inch wheels feel twitchy to me.

I am sure that if I spent a more substantial amount of time riding a 16" wheel I would adjust to its dynamics and maybe even come to love it; I am just not itching for any new friends right now. I love 18" wheels, and I am cool with that for now. I carve the shit out of my 18" wheels with no trouble. 

Your comparison review was comparing a smaller diameter wheel to a larger diameter wheel. Such a comparison is bound to the relevant laws of physics. As prisoners of physics, if you value maneuverability over all other measures then you should stick with a 16" wheel. If not, then give yourself time to adjust to that 18" thug life ?

The 18L is an amazing wheel. As an 18" wheel it represents the best of both worlds, 18" power and comfort with 16"ish maneuverability.

13 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

and a last modification so far : 

Since I am riding a lot of offroad and still practising technical skills , I decided to cover up the pedals as well.. I used an insulation material that I still had laying around in my workshop, custom sized/cut them and attached them with Ducktape, I know, or can imagine that there are more beautiful solutions out there but for the coming weeks/month it will do the job..

I did the same for the V10f.. 

the result from the side can be seen in above pictures.. the making off ,61881016_20180926_153845bis.thumb.jpg.28376b4708528463bb91504cdea0f9ce.jpg

CHeers

CL

Now that is a very clever mod. Way to protect that investment dude.  

8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Now that is a very clever mod. Way to protect that investment dude.  

it's not that sexy ;) but you don't notice it while riding and if your still in the beginning phase like we are it really helps not having to worry if you are pedal scraping... and in a few months or so we can easily remove them..

On 10/1/2018 at 11:11 AM, Cumulus Libre said:

Forgot to mention that I changed the cover inside out, I quite like the black look from the inner protection...

Just one thought ... is the inside of the cover a different material/texture to the outside? The inside may be designed to not scratch the plastic finish of your EUC, whereas the outside may be rougher and designed to stand up to falls and scrapes. You don't want to be thinking that your EUC is protected only to later find it all scratched up due to the cover.

12 minutes ago, Nic said:
On 10/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

Just one thought ... is the inside of the cover a different material/texture to the outside? The inside may be designed to not scratch the plastic finish of your EUC, whereas the outside may be rougher and designed to stand up to falls and scrapes. You don't want to be thinking that your EUC is protected only to later find it all scratched up due to the cover.

Hey Nic, 

thx , I did cross my mind at the moment I was making it, and to my idea : "look and feel" they are similar, only black vs grey printed, but I could be wrong of course and then someone would tell.. Yesterday I removed it to change the mudguard and I didn't have the impression that it had scratches, I'll check it this afternoon.. but you do have a point the V10f is a glossy smooth design the rubber mat finish is different so I should check that..  I'll keep you posted.. 

cheers

CL

Hey hey, 

just a short question, I am trying out the USB ports on the KS for the first time. 

Is it possible that they are only working if the KS is turned on? 

is there a way to overcome this? I mean my KS doesn't have to be turned on to charge my phone when I am on a pauze .. 

Anyone an idea on the specs from the USB port? How many ampere? Both ports same specs?

cheers 

CL

4 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

Hey hey, 

just a short question, I am trying out the USB ports on the KS for the first time. 

is there a way to overcome this? I mean my KS doesn't have to be turned on to charge my phone when I am on a pauze .. 

Anyone an idea on the specs from the USB port? How many ampere? Both ports same specs?

cheers 

CL

Ok I have not tested this, but this is how someone explained how to use the wheel as speaker. This might work similar for USB port as powerbank.

You turn on the wheel if using BT connection for music make connection. Once you lay down the wheel it will disengage motor due to tilt cut off sensor. Music will continue to play. Now as I wrote I have not tested this myself. But it might work with usb power too.

4 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

Hey hey, 

cheers 

CL

Hy Cumulus!

First of all: Nice input for the wheel protection and that the IM cover will fit!

For the USB ports: Yes, they only work when the wheel is powered on, thats like it is, and doesnt differ to other wheel brands. They all only work if the wheel is powered on.

The amperage which is possible is, like on all USB ports, steered by the device that is drawing the power. So my guess would be that 2 Amp would be max. Unfortunately i dont have the concret numbers...

For any comparisons of a 16inch and a 18inch wheel: Just by physics the 16inch wheel will always win the torque and acceleration part.

The 18inch will always be better on comfort and bumps and a more stable ride. That isnt brand related. i would say thats on all EUC available at the time.

Archived