Poll: Have you experienced an unexpected shut-off while riding?

RichieV

Have you experienced an unexpected shut-off while riding?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Select the situation that best applies to you.

• My wheel shut off due to pushing it beyond its capacities (e.g. going downhill on a full charge, excessive leaning at speed, riding hard at low battery, etc.)
    • My wheel shut off out of the blue due to no reason I can discern.
    • I have never experienced an unexpected shut-off while riding.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, tjcooper said:

I truly understand your mantra "buy top of the line and you will have less problems".  I just don't have the bucks right now to buy an 18" super cruiser when I don't know if I will like EUC's for general riding.  I had people caution me when I said I would consider buying a unit and they said only by 16" IPS because they have no problems.  If I had the $1k to spend on it, I would have tried it.  But I am putting 2 kids through graduate school now and I have to watch the nickles and dimes.  Besides, Huanix and MoHoo got good reviews for BMS and build quality on this forum.  I bought it solely because it had an easily removeable battery pack.  Wish I had known about the "unexpected stops" problems.  Maybe I would have skipped EUC altogether and stayed exclusively with my built from scratch electric bike.

Sorry if you think I am chanting to you. I am only giving advice based on my experience with 14" EUC's (5 units) . I did not recommend you to buy any 18" or 16" EUC's. You do not need to have $1,000/- to get a proper working unit that does not shut down every time it is slightly stressed out. I had falls from my learning phase but these are due to not being able to balance. Good luck and stay safe..

@tjcooper My problem was the battery would not charge over three lights in the beginning and only two after a couple of charges. It was very easy to document as the video showed me taking it off of the charger with a green light, turning it on and riding, showing the lights and then watching drop one light in 30 seconds. The whole video was about 45 seconds. In your case the only way to video the problem would be to use a action video camera mounted to the wheel showing the failure when it happened with audio to hear the beeps. Wear plenty of crash protection and try to fall in front of the camera making a big show(think professional wrestling) to show that it is dangerous.

Mike

I rode 26 km with IPS zero 340 and  4 times ( I was not speeding) cruising in comfort mode the device shut down unexpectedly preceded

by a roaring sound. Thrown off  backwards. Hurt my foot this time real bad. Can't walk properly for weeks.This BMS shutdown problem is a SERIOUS

problem it can KILL YOURSELF and injure other pedestrians, cars or worse.

Makoben,

I did the video showing a very minor "unexpected stop".   I had been riding very slowly practicing balance and forward/backward rolls to get my confidence up.

I was coming back to the camera area to stop when a minor "unexpected stop" slowed me down very strongly.  I was prepared for it from the previous "launches" and I just hopped off but I did not have enough balance to stay on my feet.   I only had 15 minutes of sunlight before it turned dark in California so I did the best I could with the time I had.  It was a very minor stop.   Nothing like Easter weekend when I twice in 3-5 minutes was sent forward like 4-5 feet right on my hands and knees.   Those special pads really do a great job.   But I am now almost afraid to ride knowing that if I do 20 minutes I will be thrown.

Perhaps I should have done an Arnold Schwarzenegger and launched myself into the camera to make a big video effect.   I just hope that Banggood will send a replacement battery (which I don't think is the problem) and a new motherboard.  They just sent me an email asking if I had checked the battery wiring and all the motherboard wiring to make sure all the connections were correct.   While I have the background to do that, it would be really useless you had a schematic diagram so you could troubleshoot.   So here's hoping I get something that will correct the problem.

https://youtu.be/T15YLgjb_t4

SlowMo,

Your advice is well received.  Can you recommend a good 14" device for a low price?  URL would be great..   I only see Alibaba with low prices on the units you mentioned and almost everyone says that are "con jobs" to take your money and deliver no product.   Amazon 4 weeks ago carried many EUC.  Now they have almost nothing..   I think the coupling of hoverboard fires and the "unexpected stop" stories have caused them to cancel EUC devices.

Makoben,

I did the video showing a very minor "unexpected stop".   I had been riding very slowly practicing balance and forward/backward rolls to get my confidence up.

I was coming back to the camera area to stop when a minor "unexpected stop" slowed me down very strongly.  I was prepared for it from the previous "launches" and I just hopped off but I did not have enough balance to stay on my feet.   I only had 15 minutes of sunlight before it turned dark in California so I did the best I could with the time I had.  It was a very minor stop.   Nothing like Easter weekend when I twice in 3-5 minutes was sent forward like 4-5 feet right on my hands and knees.   Those special pads really do a great job.   But I am now almost afraid to ride knowing that if I do 20 minutes I will be thrown.

Perhaps I should have done an Arnold Schwarzenegger and launched myself into the camera to make a big video effect.   I just hope that Banggood will send a replacement battery (which I don't think is the problem) and a new motherboard.  They just sent me an email asking if I had checked the battery wiring and all the motherboard wiring to make sure all the connections were correct.   While I have the background to do that, it would be really useless you had a schematic diagram so you could troubleshoot.   So here's hoping I get something that will correct the problem.

SlowMo,

Your advice is well received.  Can you recommend a good 14" device for a low price?  URL would be great..   I only see Alibaba with low prices on the units you mentioned and almost everyone says that are "con jobs" to take your money and deliver no product.   Amazon 4 weeks ago carried many EUC.  Now they have almost nothing..   I think the coupling of hoverboard fires and the "unexpected stop" stories have caused them to cancel EUC devices.

9 minutes ago, tjcooper said:

Let us wait for the proper review of the Freeman EUC bought by @Oily and @andress. Thread link below:

Otherwise, you can check the Inmotion V5 or  V5+ which is of very good quality.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Freeshipping-Inmotion-v5-v5-18km-40km-APP-Lighting-bluebooth-Perfect-design-Electric-unicycle-scooter-one-wheel/1908673_32540382102.html

If you are interested in the IPS Zero or IPS 122, IPS121, there are 2 main contacts:

Tony  of ipselectricunicycle.com and runrui.meng@iamips.com.

If you prefer the Kingsong brand and you are in Europe, there is @Michael David de Gans selling the KS-14b (with 174wh removable battery).

The price of EUC's increase as the battery capacity increases. When you become more familiar with the balance you may want to have longer rides. That is when you would say that you should have bought a bigger battery pack. The recommended minimum capacity is 340wh and the price range would be around $750-$850 like in the link below for the Gotway MCM4-HS:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Reserve-Gotway-MCM4-130wh-260wh-340wh-520WH-680WH-electric-unicycle-one-wheel-scooter-800W-motor-max/1908673_32468490098.html

26 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Here in Europa gotway is selling the MCM 3 for about 600 Euro with 260wh ...it is the new mcm2s...now with 800 Watt Motor.....Thats a Ggreat Device....Like Hhere 

http://www.electro-sport.de/epages/78292882.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78292882/Products/%22Gotway%20MCM%20V3%22

isn't it basically mcm4 in a "retro" shell? (note: also uncomfortable, solowheel-style pedals)

4 hours ago, tjcooper said:

Makoben,

Remember when you fall off to turn off the EUC and restart it as that resets the gyros.  I think in your video I see you hop off, but when you try to get back on the wheel isn't self-balancing any more as it has fallen onto it's side.  Always turn off and turn back on before trying to get on again.

3 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Remember when you fall off to turn off the EUC and restart it as that resets the gyros.  I think in your video I see you hop off, but when you try to get back on the wheel isn't self-balancing any more as it has fallen onto it's side.  Always turn off and turn back on before trying to get on again.

The video will not convince Banggood that there is any fault in the EUC. There was no shutdown seen on the video.

7 hours ago, SlowMo said:

The video will not convince Banggood that there is any fault in the EUC. There was no shutdown seen on the video.

I absolutely agree with @SlowMo if the wheel suddenly loses power you will fall ( and therefore step off) forwards or backwards even at that speed as the peddles will suddenly stop resisting your weight, the video shows you stepping off, and the wheel tipping over, sideways and looks, in the video at least, like simple low speed loss of balance which all of us have done whilst learning. I.e. an EUC, has zero left/right electronic balance, it is only forward speed that keeps you upright in the left/right axis.

After that you have a wheel that has gone into 'safety mode' having been tipped over too far, which is why you cannot remount it.

I'm of the opinion that video shows an EUC behaving perfectly normally. 

16 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Here in Europa gotway is selling the MCM 3 for about 600 Euro with 260wh ...it is the new mcm2s...now with 800 Watt Motor.....Thats a Ggreat Device....Like Hhere 

http://www.electro-sport.de/epages/78292882.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78292882/Products/%22Gotway%20MCM%20V3%22

That's a really good deal! I still enjoy my GotWay MCM2 very much for stunting (indestructable if you ask me).

To get the most out of the 800Watt motor I would buy a bit more battery juice than 260Wh, at least double.

SloMo and Keith,

I sadly agree that my video probably will not convince Banggood of the number of major "unexpected stops" I have experience in the past few weeks.  In the video I was thrown forward by what felt like hitting a 2-3" void in the asphault.  And I then just hopped off trying to not go over forward.  This minor unexpected hop has occurred like 10 times in the past two weeks.  There is a sudden slowdown which is very much like hitting a negative bump in the road.  Only reason I showed this video is that Banggood wanted some "video evidence" within 2-3 days.

I will try again this weekend, but the "fear factor" is growing for the number of times I have been launched and as a 70 year man I know injury is easy to come by.  And there is the problem that as I cycle back and forth, I may be out of the FOV of the camera when I next get nailed.  That would be a real bummer.  Maybe I will try two different video cameras at right angles to my practice path.  Anyway, I am hoping with what I have said and shown that Banggood will have the good faith to try and fix the problem by swapping parts.   After that, I would have to go to PayPal and issue a complaint that unit does not work as advertised.   But I really want to keep this unit and learn how to ride it well.  We will see.

tjcooper

Air wheel x6. Two years old. Clocked up around 3000 miles. Battery knackered and I get about 3 miles on full charge which is handy as work is 3 miles from train station. No problems with unit until yesterday.

On way home last night was almost at destination so battery very low, went up slight incline at moderate speed, airwheel completely shut down without any warning sending me sailing through the air. Landed awkwardly and ended up with four fractures in my hand, ouch!!!!

Clearly the strain on the battery from going uphill drained battery so rapidly that safety mechanisms failed. Moral of the story: be careful if you have an old battery which is low on power and going uphill.  

12 minutes ago, MLH said:

Air wheel x6. Two years old. Clocked up around 3000 miles. Battery knackered and I get about 3 miles on full charge which is handy as work is 3 miles from train station. No problems with unit until yesterday.

On way home last night was almost at destination so battery very low, went up slight incline at moderate speed, airwheel completely shut down without any warning sending me sailing through the air. Landed awkwardly and ended up with four fractures in my hand, ouch!!!!

Clearly the strain on the battery from going uphill drained battery so rapidly that safety mechanisms failed. Moral of the story: be careful if you have an old battery which is low on power and going uphill.  

Maybe it's time to get a replacement battery pack.:)

had a beauty this morning. unbranded x3 bang  good 170w pack i have been talking about. temp 25deg 2km  into journy sitting on slow 4kph smooth flat bike path enjoying the scenery.  wheel started to tilt back hard 3leds still lit just kept tilting back(still driving forward not slowing down) until my heels touched the ground as soon as they touch wheel tilted forward and took of at i would say max acceleration sending falling backwards. result 2 broken fingers and dislocated thumb. not at all happy.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

had a beauty this morning. unbranded x3 bang  good 170w pack i have been talking about. temp 25deg 2km  into journy sitting on slow 4kph smooth flat bike path enjoying the scenery.  wheel started to tilt back hard 3leds still lit just kept tilting back(still driving forward not slowing down) until my heels touched the ground as soon as they touch wheel tilted forward and took of at i would say max acceleration sending falling backwards. result 2 broken fingers and dislocated thumb. not at all happy.

Sorry to hear about that. I think there might be some bad cells in the whole pack that is creating the voltage drop.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

until my heels touched the ground as soon as they touch wheel tilted forward and took of at i would say max acceleration sending falling backwards

Sorry about your accident, 4km/h should have been slow enough for not happening, but I have fallen backwards with even 0.5 km/h.

Do you mean that the wheel accelerated on its own? If true, that could lead to many unpredictable situations.

SloMo and Keith,

Finally got proof of the good "unexpected stops" on video.  This Sunday I was able to run the MoHoo at the park for 25 minutes.  I had TWO “unexpected stops” of medium forcefullness.  There are two action cameras covering the course at 90 degrees to each other so you see each stop from a different angle.  Luckily both stops were captured by both cameras.  These two stops are nothing like the 5 foot launch from last week, but I was also going much slower this time.

I have uploaded to YouTube the results.  Here are the files:
firefly #1 and #2:
https://youtu.be/Id8Y7byaNs0
https://youtu.be/RBXmvmEH154

Xioami_Yi #1 and #2:
https://youtu.be/E3Z89mjgyDg
https://youtu.be/C4IAc-p3Ayg

I decided to upload the entire 25 minute session.  My "VirtualDub" software made my cuts of the falls even longer than the originals.  So skip my wasted time wandering around the park waiting the the falls to happen.

Here are the times into each file you need to look for the TWO falls:

Firefly S5 camera:
1st fall at 18:12 minutes:seconds into first file
2nd fall at 5:41 minutes: seconds into second file

Xioami_Yi camera:
1st fall at 17:37 minutes:seconds into the video
2nd fall at 8:14 minutes:seconds into second video file

There are minor cracks in the asphalt in the park surface.  But I rode many circles over all the minorcracks and I could sense that I had gone over them as a slight pull to left or right, but nothing that changed my balance.  Both “unexpected stops” were launches straight forward in front of MoHoo.  They were abrupt stops after 15 minutes of riding. Both happened while I was going straight forward and not turning.

Why did I take so long to get back up?  I have a pulled muscle in my back from Karate in the last few weeks.  When I fall I get a spasm in the back and cannot get back up straight until I work out the muscles to remove the spasm.  I was just fine in the two crashes when I finally worked out the back problem.

Battery was full at start.  After the 25 minute session, the battery was down one bar.  Recharge showed the unit to take 33 Watt-hours of charge which reflects 20% discharge level.  You can see all riding is level and I was never faster than 5-7 mph (fast walk).  I think this strongly points to a failure of battery after 20% discharge.  Could also be motherboard, but it was not a hot day and I think only a heat problem would make motherboard mis-behave with such a long delay after starting to ride unit.

NEW PROBLEM:  In the previous video I showed how hard it was to restart the MoHoo after the fall.  People on the forum said I had just forgotten to reset-restart the unit after the fall.  I could swear I had done that and that the unit would not hold true level.

In the latest sets of video, I made ABSOLUTELY sure to turned off the unit and then back on before I attempted to remount.  As you can see from the new videos, I still have significant problems restarting after a fall.  What I found out was that I had to wait 10-15 seconds after the “off” push when I stood up,and then push the “on” button and test that the system holds level.  If I tried to do the “on” buttonfaster than the 10-15 second delay, the system would not obtain level running when I pushed the handle forward and backward.   Could this mean that there is some sort of software problem after a hard shutdown that needs time to reset before the system would perform normally again.  I believe this is a repeatable phenomenon after a hard stop has occurred (power overload?).  This might point to the problem being in the motherboard.

tjcooper

@tjcooper First of all, I would like to congratulate you sir for your very good physical fitness at the age of 70. You look more than ten years younger. Now about the Mohoo unit, could you be able to return it and get a full refund instead of asking for a replacement board and battery pack? The reason being the motor of the Mohoo is not that powerful and the battery pack is small  and even with new replacement parts, you might still experience the same shut downs in the future. 

@tjcooper

If MY or ALL wheels would behave like yours...i would stop driving EU directly and Forget this Hobby!!!

I can only give you one advice:

Take some more Money in the Hand and buy a good Kingsong or Gotway wheel....Get a REFUND for this CRAP mohoo!

I am driving my KS14 now since about 3-4 weeks...often with a lot of power accelerations up to 30kmh/18mph(most fun at all)..and NEVER, NEVER experienced a shutoff from the wheel!

This Mohoo crap seams to be a toy...not a real driving EUC!

Really:

Forget this Mohoo!

You now experienced too much falls on this wheel! This is now "branded" in your brain...and you will never trust this wheel again!

With the consequence that driving is no fun at all anymore....you will just start to wait for the next shutoff!

2 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Sorry to hear about that. I think there might be some bad cells in the whole pack that is creating the voltage drop.

packand cells were tested and checked yesterday, but yes I blame the battery.this it the pack when i got it from bang good. i am all good just like coming off racebike. but oh so quick. when it tilted back i was gona hop off but did not have chance.

20160326_223218.jpg

1 hour ago, DS said:

Sorry about your accident, 4km/h should have been slow enough for not happening, but I have fallen backwards with even 0.5 km/h.

Do you mean that the wheel accelerated on its own? If true, that could lead to many unpredictable situations.

yep i am used to it tilting back at overspeed, but it then tilted forward and took off that quick my legs went higher than my head. just took before i could hop off. cut outs like normal i do not mind but this scared the hell out me. comparison would be standing still on rollerblades and someone kicks em out from under you from behind

I had a similar fall before but due to a learning mistake. I followed my daughter up a short 30 deg marbled slope then again follower her descent on the downward marbled slope. I got scared and somewhat lost my balance thereby releasing the MCM2s forward and landing my butt in the middle of the slope. My left wrist was hurt badly when I tried to cushion the fall with my hands. At that time, I forgot to bring my wrist pads and only had a helmet on. Wrist, elbow, knee pads and ankle protectors are now a must whenever I ride.

I am about to order from an Ali express dealer a 170wh pack with Panasonic NCR18650PF cells to be used like a power bank attached to my Kahuna 260wh unit. His price is not that much. The question again would be if the panasonic cells would be genuine.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

yep i am used to it tilting back at overspeed

Looks like adrenalin addicted :D...well, don't forget your protective gear

Archived