Gotway Tesla Key Ignition Mod Anti Theft

24 minutes ago, Lars Heeneman said:

Can you share more pictured how you did wire the cables to get it to work. 

Wire the button in series with the ignition. 

You can possibly wire the charge port on the ignition as well to prevent shorting if some choose to tamper it. At least it wont damage the battery's BMS. 

20180928_003533.jpg

Edited by Jacky Heshi
X

I saw an awesome usb key on a electric skateboard a couple weeks ago. It looked like a tiny usb flash stick. I would like one of those as a feature so it can preserve the usb slot. I kinda wish it was an added feature rather than an aftermarket mod you have to do though.

7 hours ago, NECway said:

I would imagine that a thief would walk away with your wheel, then at home would bypass the key lock with a wire.

This isn't exactly how I envisioned of using this. I plan on locking up the device to prevent being tampered and then physically lock it to a bike rack. Just like regular ebikes

Also it's a safety feature since I have kids around the house and they would touch anything. Last thing I would want is the gyro going ape shit on them. 

Edited by Jacky Heshi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dieterGRAMS said:

I like this idea.

Most bikes thieves here ride off with the bike after they pop the lock. I don't see them running far with a 50lb wheel in their hands. 

Having known actual bike thieves and seen them in action, I can tell you that they do not always do this.
If the thing they are stealing can be stolen, there will always be a way to cart it away. Using a basket on the back of a bike or a large bag. If a thief steals a bike that has one of its tires locked, they will just hold up the tire that is locked.
If given enough time, a thief will steal anything that can give them money.

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2018 at 7:11 PM, Esper said:

Having known actual bike thieves and seen them in action

Now we are getting somewhere :ph34r:

On 10/2/2018 at 7:11 PM, Esper said:

If given enough time, a thief will steal anything that can give them money.

Sure, but it's all a matter of probability and time is money as well. The better secured and the less valuable the goods is, the less likely it is that it will be stolen. It's not about being possible to steal, but being probable.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Now we are getting somewhere :ph34r:

Sure, but it's all a matter of probability and time is money as well. The better secured and the less valuable the goods is, the less likely it is that it will be stolen. It's not about being possible steal, but being probable.

Well. I've seen people steal doormats. They are practically worthless outside of wiping your feet on them.
I've seen people steal signs, the ones that say "open house" or even "vote for initiative ABC"
I've seen people steal glow sticks. Not something useful in all sense.
I've even seen people break into cars to steal clothing.

We cannot begin to understand why someone steals something, but keeping something hidden is the first step to security. If you can't keep it hidden, keep it with you. If both of those are not an option, keep it within the eyes of the public, but the public doesn't know who it belongs to and a person skilled with a lockpick can get through it with ease. Most people these days walk around looking at their phone hardly observant of the world. If they aren't looking at their phone, then they might see someone fiddling with the lock but that person doesn't know if it belongs to the person messing with the lock or someone else and keeps walking.

The worst thing you can do it to lock something up in a place no one can see them. These thieves don't care if there is a camera there recording their actions because they will be long gone by the time someone gets there or even views the recording. They will be on their way to try and pawn off whatever they have before you even realize it has been stolen.

I'm not an expert in this field and I don't claim to know everything. But I am not ignorant to these people. I know what they do and how they do it. Confidence is their mask as someone that looks like that know what their doing will hardly be interrupted by a person passing by. 

I keep my things near me if it has a high value and can be stolen. If it is stolen, a GPS transceiver within the machine would be the best option.

1 hour ago, Esper said:

Well. I've seen people steal...

Anecdotal evidence can't give us probabilities. Even probabilities significantly differ depending on the place and time. Let's put in some numbers: I have left >1KEUR bicycles outside and unattended during night time hundreds of times (always well secured) and never got stolen any of them. The only bicycle I got stolen was cheaper and purely secured.

Edited by Mono

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Anecdotal evidence can't give us probabilities. Even probabilities significantly differ depending on the place and time. Let's put in some numbers: I have left >1KEUR bicycles outside and unattended during night time hundreds of times (always well secured) and never got stolen any of them. The only bicycle I got stolen was cheaper and purely secured.

It also varies on neighborhood, region, season, and population. My findings are not for everyone everywhere. But from what I've seen firsthand in my area. People here steal for illogical reasons or perhaps just because they want to. Back where I lived as a child, nobody locked their doors to their house or car. People never stole from anyone because the town was so small you knew everyone's parents and children. In an area like that, you could leave a $200,000 car running, unattended and come back with it turned off, locked, and a note saying, "I turned off your car for you so you don't waste gas"

• 3 weeks later...

I just leave my wheel laying around, because I know:

1) nobody around knows how to ride it 

2) nobody is dumb enough to steal 20kg+ of stuff with zero practical value to them

But then I live in Japan

btw, USB thing is pretty handy, it can be used to charge the phone while riding, as well as on a train/something - I've powered up the wheel in a 3-4 hour train ride and kept the phone topped up from that.

• 10 months later...

Here's an idea.  Add a tilt/movement alarm to a keyswitch (DPDT).  So when you turn off the EUC the alarm is turned on and visa versa.

Or even one of these ... https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Anti-Theft-Vibration-Motorcycle-Waterproof/dp/B0734QN8KR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=movement+alarm&qid=1566956242&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Edited by Gazza-usa

12 hours ago, Meserias said:

i think your wheel should not to be touched by anybody without your consent
thus I don't feel like this is worth the trouble....

Isn't that the point of an alarm.  To protect people from touching your stuff without your consent ?

This is a challenge unique to Gotway; since KS wheels offer passcode protection. 

Love the idea! I would probably route a lift sensor lock since the monster and nikola have them, thus those wheels would be completely useless to them. 😂😂

• Like 1

I like the idea especially for protecting against someone pushing the button just to see what it does.   I've got some work buddies that would definitely do the "hey what does this do when I push it."  It is surprising that the wheels have such a simplistic mechanism to turn them on and off.  I don't know about Kingsong, but my Solowheel V3 was just a simple button click to turn on and off as well as my MSX.

• 4 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 3:21 PM, Jacky Heshi said:

The usb port on the Gotway Tesla is a pretty dumb idea. It only pushes 5v at 1a and that's only if the wheel is on. This mod basically replaced the usb with an ignition module. The key switch and the button are soldered in series, so when the the wheel is locked, it breaks the loop and renders the button dead. 

So, I went ahead and replaced it with this switch I bought from Amazon. You can probably find it cheaper on eBay. 

Jameco Valuepro IG-406D-2341 Key Lock Switch Single Pole Single Throw Round Terminal Key #2341 All Keyed Alike https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B88DI98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_qlHD7XRPqwLlB

Hello there, I'm highly interested in this mod. However, from where I'm from, I can't find the same key switch neither do they deliver it here. Can you give me some suggestions on the minimum electric rating on the key that I can use? I have no idea how high the voltage or ampere is running through that switch. or maybe... some eligible Aliexpress switch with the link to the product would be so nice. 

Thank you people.

4 hours ago, TheMan said:

Hello there, I'm highly interested in this mod. However, from where I'm from, I can't find the same key switch neither do they deliver it here. Can you give me some suggestions on the minimum electric rating on the key that I can use? I have no idea how high the voltage or ampere is running through that switch. or maybe... some eligible Aliexpress switch with the link to the product would be so nice. 

Thank you people.

If you interrupt the wheel’s power button, the power requirements on the switch are extremely minimal. Any two position on off key switch will do. The wheel’s power button is a simple momentary button that sends a momentary input signal to the computer that you want the wheel on. Pressing again tells the computers that you want the wheel off. This great because if the switch you install fails the wheel will simply stay in the condition that it is in and not drop you on the pavement. 

I would not have used the key above anyway. Many people like myself just happen to have the H2340- H2395 keys in their work vehicles. They are used for everything from thermostats, fire panels, towel rolls to elevator switches. 

I like this one. 

Parts Express On/Off Key Switch with 2 Round Keys (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TR5BSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_etZfEbYWWW4Y1

Edited by RockyTop

16 hours ago, RockyTop said:

If you interrupt the wheel’s power button, the power requirements on the switch are extremely minimal. Any two position on off key switch will do. The wheel’s power button is a simple momentary button that sends a momentary input signal to the computer that you want the wheel on. Pressing again tells the computers that you want the wheel off. This great because if the switch you install fails the wheel will simply stay in the condition that it is in and not drop you on the pavement. 

I would not have used the key above anyway. Many people like myself just happen to have the H2340- H2395 keys in their work vehicles. They are used for everything from thermostats, fire panels, towel rolls to elevator switches. 

I like this one. 

Parts Express On/Off Key Switch with 2 Round Keys (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TR5BSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_etZfEbYWWW4Y1

Ahh, Thank you.. that makes it much easier for me to find the key that'll work.