How much Slime for Gotway MSX tire?

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

6-ounces

Might as well put in the whole thing (all 8 oz), unless you got one of these...

SB-5G_5gal_Tube_Front_copy_360x.jpg?v=15

(Usually, one container is good for two bike wheels.)

Edited by RayRay
Marty buys it in bulk...
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

Might as well put in the whole thing (all 8 oz), unless you got one of these...

SB-5G_5gal_Tube_Front_copy_360x.jpg?v=15

(Usually, one container is good for two bike wheels.)

I would be very cautious about putting too much Slime in the tire. In the case of Slime, "you can never have enough" does not apply.

Stick with 6-ounces.

Keep in mind that some people have reported wheel instability at higher speeds with too much slime in the wheel. Logically that makes sense. In one video Marty suggested 4 ounces for the wheel (14"?) he was filling. If you're willing to risk a flat, you could always go with less to see if it works and work up to 6 ounces (or whatever) ounce by ounce.

Keeping in mind I'm new to all of this (and therefore shouldn't be considered an authority by any means), my reasoning is I want enough to do the job but no more. So I'm starting with 3 oz. and plan to work my way up from there with each flat that doesn't seal. 

On 9/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, RayRay said:

I'm just slime happy 'cuz I don't know what to do with what's left over. :blink:

I put the cap back on and save it for later. The slime evaporates over time, so in about 10-12 months, you can put another ounce in there. Or if you have a flat, that Slime escapes a little, you can top it off after you patch the hole. 

17 minutes ago, Esper said:

I put the cap back on and save it for later. The slime evaporates over time, so in about 10-12 months, you can put another ounce in there. Or if you have a flat, that Slime escapes a little, you can top it off after you patch the hole. 

Just to add my 2-cents - Slime evaporation within the tire is dependent on how often you refill your tire. Some of my tires only get a little air added every couple of months. My Mten3 and Monster tires seem to hold air forever.

When I had to replace the tube in my Mten3 after almost a year, the Slime in the old tube looked to be in great condition.

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, chulander said:

@Marty Backe, how much slime is required for the monster then? If it's 6 oz for the MSX's 19inch wheel, then its maybe 8oz for a 22inch? Thanks Marty

That's exactly what I put in my Monster - 8 ounces.

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2018 at 10:54 PM, Elder Meat said:

Keep in mind that some people have reported wheel instability at higher speeds with too much slime in the wheel. Logically that makes sense. In one video Marty suggested 4 ounces for the wheel (14"?) he was filling. If you're willing to risk a flat, you could always go with less to see if it works and work up to 6 ounces (or whatever) ounce by ounce.

Keeping in mind I'm new to all of this (and therefore shouldn't be considered an authority by any means), my reasoning is I want enough to do the job but no more. So I'm starting with 3 oz. and plan to work my way up from there with each flat that doesn't seal. 

Where can I find this video? I know nothing about slime and would love to learn more about what @Marty Backe has to say about using it!

47 minutes ago, nickysneids said:

Where can I find this video? I know nothing about slime and would love to learn more about what @Marty Backe has to say about using it!

I have a few Slime related videos. I think they are listed in the Maintenance playlist. See the YouTube link in my Signature below. I don't have time at the moment to find the specific links to give you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have a few Slime related videos. I think they are listed in the Maintenance playlist. See the YouTube link in my Signature below. I don't have time at the moment to find the specific links to give you.

No worries, I'll definitely check them out. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

@Marty Backe Hey Marty, how much would you recommend adding to a 16 in tire? 4 oz? And does the width of a tire change how much you would add? In my specific case, I'd like to know how much to add to an inmotion V8 tire and how much to add to the 84v gotway Nikola tire! Thanks for your help!

Edited by an5vf
grammar

3 minutes ago, an5vf said:

@Marty Backe Hey Marty, how much would you recommend adding to a 16 in tire? 4 oz? And does the width of a tire change how much you would add? In my specific case, I'd like to know how much to add to an inmotion V8 tire and how much to add to the 84v gotway Nikola tire! Thanks for your help!

It's not an exact science, but I would put 4-ounces max in your typical 16-inch tire. The Nikola/MSX/KS18XL gets about 6-ounces. The Monster and Z10 are the only wheels that get ~8-ounces.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not an exact science, but I would put 4-ounces max in your typical 16-inch tire. The Nikola/MSX/KS18XL gets about 6-ounces. The Monster and Z10 are the only wheels that get ~8-ounces.

great, thanks for the advice! Do you notice any difference in your ride at all after sliming the wheel?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, an5vf said:

great, thanks for the advice! Do you notice any difference in your ride at all after sliming the wheel?

I've never noticed a difference in the ~16-wheels that I've Slime'd. That being said, some people seem to be hypersensitive and have claimed that they could tell that Slime was in the tire. Most people have not reported this.

• Like 2

In my considered opinion slime and tyre weld are for...... use to get home purposes. You can't use both either, they counter act each other.

If you intend to use slime use it sparingly. The tyres are not balanced and at high speed (30+) you get speed shakes and drifts. 

This stuff does work if you have a puncture but best solution will always be patch the inner tube or replace completely.

You could go tubeless or even use the inner tube liner to avoid punctures altogether.

I am in the process of going tubeless conversion on my M Super

2 hours ago, Number1stunner said:

In my considered opinion slime and tyre weld are for...... use to get home purposes. You can't use both either, they counter act each other.

If you intend to use slime use it sparingly. The tyres are not balanced and at high speed (30+) you get speed shakes and drifts. 

This stuff does work if you have a puncture but best solution will always be patch the inner tube or replace completely.

You could go tubeless or even use the inner tube liner to avoid punctures altogether.

Yet what you say is counter to what myself and many others do with our EUCs. I totally disagree with what you've written based on my actual experience with 15+ wheels and personally seeing Slime fix other wheels too.

But hey, there's certainly nothing wrong with you expressing your stance. Other people can decide which direction to go.

I run 4-6 oz. of Slime in all my wheels. My wife and I have logged more than 10,000 miles without a flat in an urban environment with tons of hazards. Judge for yourself.

And I have zero issues with shakes, drifts, or any sort of Slime-induced instability. Poppycock I say.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Number1stunner said:

What's the difference between tubeless+slime and tube+slime?

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, who_the said:

I run 4-6 oz. of Slime in all my wheels. My wife and I have logged more than 10,000 miles without a flat in an urban environment with tons of hazards. Judge for yourself.

And I have zero issues with shakes, drifts, or any sort of Slime-induced instability. Poppycock I say.

How much slime do you add to the nikola 84v? Have you gone up 30 mph+  where the other guy mentioned you get shakes? 

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yet what you say is counter to what myself and many others do with our EUCs. I totally disagree with what you've written based on my actual experience with 15+ wheels and personally seeing Slime fix other wheels too.

But hey, there's certainly nothing wrong with you expressing your stance. Other people can decide which direction to go.

@Marty Backe I also pose the same question to you ;) Have you gotten shakes/instability at higher speeds as a result of slime (even 25-30 mph)?