Vans for EUC riding?

mdogbucket

I've ridden my V8/G3 about 50 miles so far, so rather new here and to this activity.   So far my favorite "shoe" has been a pair of sandals with pretty good sole and arch structure.  The couple of pairs of actual shoes I tried led to more foot pain faster, but admittedly they were both kind of soft and flimsy in the sole.  I thought maybe Vans pro skate shoes might make sense, but wondering if anyone else here likes them for EUC?  

Any other recommendations for someone who doesn't like high-tops or boots but rather prefers low profile, more minimalist shoes?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, mdogbucket said:

I've ridden my V8/G3 about 50 miles so far, so rather new here and to this activity.   So far my favorite "shoe" has been a pair of sandals with pretty good sole and arch structure.  The couple of pairs of actual shoes I tried led to more foot pain faster, but admittedly they were both kind of soft and flimsy in the sole.  I thought maybe Vans pro skate shoes might sense, but wondering if anyone else here likes them for EUC?  

Any other recommendations for someone who doesn't like high-tops or boots but rather prefers low profile, more minimalist shoes?

Thanks

@YoshiSkySun used to love to ride in his sandals because he didn't know better. He then had a bad crash and converted to fully gearing up, including switching to proper shoes. He said that the difference in wheel control between sandals and good shoes was amazing. Something for you to ponder.

Definitely go for proper shoes, but of course for ones that fit your feet well. What are usually considered good for EUCing is a rare combination of rigid outer sole but a well cushioned inner sole. Only some skateboarding shoes have proper cushioning, but good shoes might be found from shoes made for running, basketball or such.

Or you can find good fitting rigid shoes from any category and replace the inner soles with a supporting but well cushioned one.

Your feet positioning and the wheel’s horizontal calibration can have a great effect on foot pain as well.

"army boots" are working wonderful for me. Gives a lot of support and are pretty comfortable.

I would definitely stay away from sandals, 10 messed up toes after a a crash is not something that is very tempting ;)

To me shoes need to do the following : 

•  you need shoes that have good grip 
  • A sole that has enough stiffness but does have some flex, army boots come to me with a too stiff sole (class C from what I remember) a higher A to B sole is much better
  • I like stability and protection for my anckles, especially in the beginning you will jump of more then you want to, and protection to that ankle comes in handy even if you get better
  • And to me is the possibility to absorb shocks very important, the tyre and knees do a great deal of shock absorbing but to have less fatigue and more comfort then shoes that are well cushioned are a big bonus.. 

I tested the VANS that most people are referring to, and yes they grip quite well, and they are stiff but they don't do that much in protecting ankles nor is the sole cushioned like other ones...

I have tried a lot of them, I love salomons :

L39867400.jpg.ae950d461604bbf07eb31d714305ba51.jpg

but they look very sporty.. and for the city commuting or if you like a bit more dressed up ;) I came across the following 

ecco-m-exostrike-bowmar-hm-18a-eco-832304-camel-1.thumb.jpg.5f956835cda2cc11c377d0c5be4722f5.jpg

it's the ecco exostrike bowmar boot , I really love them read the reviews they are very cushy, very good grip , look at the sole, ... 

cheers

CL

i only ever wear sneakers.. and they are quite a loose fit to boot.. my feet do slide around which can be annoying so i tried some vans.. my brothers and they were definitely i feel more suitable as my toes usually curl around the front of the pedal and can cramp up sometimes.. with the rigid, flat soles of vans i cant see that happening.. however it was so foreign to me that i switched back to my sneakers as im just too used to them to want to switch lol

4 hours ago, mdogbucket said:

I've ridden my V8/G3 about 50 miles so far, so rather new here and to this activity.   So far my favorite "shoe" has been a pair of sandals with pretty good sole and arch structure.  The couple of pairs of actual shoes I tried led to more foot pain faster, but admittedly they were both kind of soft and flimsy in the sole.  I thought maybe Vans pro skate shoes might make sense, but wondering if anyone else here likes them for EUC?  

Thanks

I once tried snowboarding in highheels. Looked really cool and stylish, but didn’t turn out well. 

Every sports has its own supportive gear to make it save and fun. Ignoring it is ...!

Well ...! You will find out. ? 

5 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I once tried snowboarding in highheels. Looked really cool and stylish, but didn’t turn out well. 

Every sports has its own supportive gear to make it save and fun. Ignoring it is ...!

Were those like the women's stiletto type of high heels.

Half the time I wear work boots. They do not grip as well as the Vans. The other half of the time I wear Vans. They grip well and give better control but they do not have much cushion. Also when you switch back and forth it is like changing the pedal angle because the work boots have a taller heel. The Vans are very flat. 

What ever you wear they should fit well and be comfortable.

Too much cushion is bad too. 

On 9/20/2018 at 7:48 AM, mdogbucket said:

Any shoe or sandal with a somewhat stiff sole with which I can run a few steps (EDIT: and in which my feet don't slide around terribly) works for me. My girlfriend seems to prefer shoes with high heels (for EUCing) and I have yet to figure out why that is.

There is a shoe thread with more input.

I posted there. There seems to be a lot of people that use Vans shoes. I think it is due to the fact that they are skate shoes. Skate shoes have a flat bottom and are built to hold onto griptape better than other shoes. I use Vans every time I ride except when it is raining. When it is wet out, I use a pair of boots I got from several years ago. The company is out of the shoe business now. Maybe because the shoes they made were such good quality, no one needed to buy new ones. Who knows.

Most foot pain in your life can be attributed to wearing the wrong size shoe. It is common for a lot of people to buy shoes that are bigger than what they actually need. Next time you go into a store, try wearing shoes that are a half size smaller. A snug fit will reduce the pain you feel, and make the shoes last longer. 

Hands down, the Chuck Taylor all-stars high tops reign supreme over all my other shoes for EUC riding.

Now there are several versions, and notably the padded canvas is the most comfortable since it has padding over the ankle bone. Mine even have the thick rubber round logo against the ankle bone but many CT don't have that.

The sole is flat and smooth. Unlike other more aggressive shoes I've never caught the sole on the edge of the pedal. Since the sole has little give, riding one legged or such is wonderful.

One huge advantage CT have is they have lacing from near the toe to the above the ankle bone, and so you can adjust the tighness just for EUC (tight on bottom but very lose around the ankle).

A problem is all the Chuck Taylor's come in one width. For example I'm a 9 wide but have to use a 10.5.

One thing to note indeed is the flatness of the sole. Some (running?) shoes have a strong upwards angle at the toes, some even at the heel. When you emergency brake or accelerate from a pot hole, instead of pressing the pedal you press on the air under you. At worst this creates a rocking motion and your heels lift up a bit from the pedals losing your balance. I have tried a few pairs where that is an actual issue.

Thanks for all of the good advice.  I have decided to try some Vans Pro Skate shoes with the "Ultra Cush" inside.  They seem like they have a good firm flat bottom and soft but substantial support.  We'll see.  I didn't like any of the off the shelf versions so I had to go for a custom pair that will take 2-3 weeks.    

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

One thing to note indeed is the flatness of the sole. 

:whistling:“flat bottom shoes     

You make my rocket wheel      Go round” :whistling:

( fat bottom girls)

18 hours ago, mrelwood said:

One thing to note indeed is the flatness of the sole. Some (running?) shoes have a strong upwards angle at the toes, some even at the heel. When you emergency brake or accelerate from a pot hole, instead of pressing the pedal you press on the air under you. At worst this creates a rocking motion and your heels lift up a bit from the pedals losing your balance. I have tried a few pairs where that is an actual issue.

This is a big problem for me too, not just with running type shoes but also with hard heeled dress shoes. The dress shoes are better but still have pretty bad braking matter where I put my feet.

I wonder if any wheel out there has braking or acceleration that increases way out of proportion of your foot/leg force.

Hard to describe, but as you keep braking the wheel gives you much more force even though you're braking only a bit harder.

I believe this is what you get when setting wheel modes to medium or soft on the KS16S, where it is "airy" initially then quite quickly ramps up.

Or, hell, I'll just use my skate shoes and be fine...

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, Toshio Uemura said:

But I bet they made your calves look just fabulous!!!   :shock2:

And on a more serious note, I still just love these...

I should comment that with new (grippy) foot pedals, they are almost too sticky... But then is there such a thing as too sticky?

Which reminds me... @Hunka Hunka Burning Love - What's brown and sticky?

Spoiler

A stick!

Archived