Highspeed Warning/Safety on the Gotway's

eddiemoy

I was thinking about the increased need for a different alert on the Gotway's.  When you get up to 30+mph speeds and wearing a full face helmet, the wind rushing, you can't really hear the warning beeps.  On the Gotway it is more important as most users turn off tiltback which seems to be limited at 48kmph which is 30mph.  Most folks routinely go above 30+mph on the Gotway wheels and have cut offs because they either ignore or couldn't hear the beeps.  My assumption is they probably didn't hear the beeps.  

There are some solutions out there where you wear a watch and you rely on the bluetooth connection between the phone and the wheel and then the phone and the watch.  Too much can go wrong.

My idea is simple, find a vibrating motor, not sure the size but to wire it up to the piezo electric speakers.  So when the speakers are supposed to buzz, it vibrates the case that is next to where you leg contacts the case.  Giving you a signal to stop pushing the wheel to cut off.  I wonder if Gotway would add a little motor to each side of the case in future models so that it will allow for better safety. 

But in the mean time, I would like some help to understand if this is even possible and what voltage the speakers are running at to buy a small vibrating motor and wire it up to test.  

Maybe on all performance EUC's should have this feature.  

Let me know your thoughts.  

I requested an audible signal from the phone on the DarknessBot app.  Ilya said he is working on it. The latest update implies that he has already done it. We just have to wait for the release.

The way I see it working:

put the ear bud in your ear and it beeps in your ear when you hit the alarm. As always things can go wrong but I like this better.

1 minute ago, RockyTop said:

I requested an audible signal from the phone on the DarknessBot app.  Ilya said he is working on it. The latest update implies that he has already done it. We just have to wait for the release.

The way I see it working:

put the ear bud in your ear and it beeps in your ear when you hit the alarm. As always things can go wrong but I like this better.

I've tried earbuds and i still hear lots of wind noise.  again, it is wireless so you are relying on bluetooth to the phone then bluetooth to your earbuds.  

@eddiemoy Your idea is definately feasible. I believe your looking for a mini motor vibrating disc. These tiny motors operate at 2-5v about the same as the EUC’s piezo speaker. Just attach the red and black leads directly to the piezo wires. It should work. If not your only out $5 and some time. Keep us posted. 

https://tinyurl.com/y9fz4gdx

42982148110_77731aa5bd_b.jpg

41 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@eddiemoy Your idea is definately feasible. I believe your looking for a mini motor vibrating disc. These tiny motors operate at 2-5v about the same as the EUC’s piezo speaker. Just attach the red and black leads directly to the piezo wires. It should work. If not your only out $5 and some time. Keep us posted. 

https://tinyurl.com/y9fz4gdx

42982148110_77731aa5bd_b.jpg

Maybe someone who does more of these mods can do this like @Marty Backe.  

6 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Actually I just saw this post and looked into this specific product a bit more. I'm skeptical that it has enough power to generate a vibration that could be felt over the road noise. You can see by this picture that it's rather small.

I think a better solution would be to use the existing piezoelectric buzzer input to drive an amplified speaker. More work of course.

I don't know how much current the Gotway control board can deliver so I'd be cautious about trying a larger vibrator.

1201-02_1024x1024.jpg?v=1421166044

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Actually I just saw this post and looked into this specific product a bit more. I'm skeptical that it has enough power to generate a vibration that could be felt over the road noise. You can see by this picture that it's rather small.

I think a better solution would be to use the existing piezoelectric buzzer input to drive an amplified speaker. More work of course.

I don't know how much current the Gotway control board can deliver so I'd be cautious about trying a larger vibrator.

1201-02_1024x1024.jpg?v=1421166044

Marty, I’m thinking the ones in the phones are smaller, but they are pretty powerful.  Not sure what the vibration feels like with these.  Would have to test them out to see if it comes through the shell.  But the gotway shell is pretty thin. It might come through fine.  But it is an unknown for sure. 

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Marty, I’m thinking the ones in the phones are smaller, but they are pretty powerful.  Not sure what the vibration feels like with these.  Would have to test them out to see if it comes through the shell.  But the gotway shell is pretty thin. It might come through fine.  But it is an unknown for sure. 

I just bought one. What the hell. I'll install it in my copper ACM2 on Friday.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just bought one. What the hell. I'll install it in my copper ACM2 on Friday.

If the GW piezo speaker operates on 3-5v you’ll be surprised how much vibration this tiny device will produce. Attachment and placement will be key. 

8 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I have the experience just not the time. 

On 9/19/2018 at 5:32 PM, eddiemoy said:

Most folks routinely go above 30+mph on the Gotway wheels and have cut offs because they either ignore or couldn't hear the beeps. 

Great idea, looking forward to something like this! 

But, who are all these "folks" experiencing cutouts on their MSXs over 30 mph? I haven't heard one single report of this, please correct me if I am wrong. 

21 minutes ago, who_the said:

But, who are all these "folks" experiencing cutouts on their MSXs over 30 mph? I haven't heard one single report of this, please correct me if I am wrong.  

My guess is Eddie was refering to older models….

1 hour ago, who_the said:

I'm not referring to anyone cutting out on MSX, but saying those who choose to remove the tiltback will not be able to hear the last warning beep since it will be drown out by the wind rushing by your ears.  

I plan on relocating the excisting beeper under the power button and charge port, facing upwards. I’ve yet to hear the 80% alarm, but I need the low battery beeps to be more audible.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:41 AM, eddiemoy said:

I'm not referring to anyone cutting out on MSX, but saying those who choose to remove the tiltback will not be able to hear the last warning beep since it will be drown out by the wind rushing by your ears.  

Gotcha, interesting. I wear a full face motorcycle helmet and can definitely hear the beeps, all the way up to max speed. I think the helmet covering my ears actually makes it easier to hear since the wind noise is mitigated.

• 2 weeks later...

I definetly still hear the beeps with a fullface helmet. Even in wind and traffic! Unless its a very rare super noisy situation. I think too many dare devils end up pushing it a little too far. And then judt blaming it on the wheel and not being able to hear the beeps. 

But also a lot of wheels barely touch the legs. Maybe the pads. But only slightly in turns. I dont think a vibrator will be powerfull enough to alert the user. Because the wheel is always vibration and moving up and down from the cracks and dips on the road. fresh idea. But realistically i dont think its gonna be usefull. I like it how it is now

@Marty Backe please share the outcome when you do/ if do. This is probably my biggest issue with wheels that I wanna listen to music while riding but constantly afraid of pushing to far. Ive been trying to go slower lately and from my app. I see Im almost constantly get around 40 km/h but I know Gotway can easy do 50 km/h, I would like to go faster but I cant if I wanna listen to something. Hopefully Gotway or members here figure something out :)

Just now, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe please share the outcome when you do/ if do. This is probably my biggest issue with wheels that I wanna listen to music while riding but constantly afraid of pushing to far. Ive been trying to go slower lately and from my app. I see Im almost constantly get around 40 km/h but I know Gotway can easy do 50 km/h, I would like to go faster but I cant if I wanna listen to something. Hopefully Gotway or members here figure something out :)

Absolutely!

Archived